Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Remote ID and Tracking to apply to Model Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Remote ID and Tracking to apply to Model Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote ID and Tracking to apply to Model Aircraft

Folks. I am spending this week at the FAA UAS Symposium taking notes. Here's a link to my blog. Remote ID will be mandated for model aircraft.

https://www.catalyst-go.com/thinking...ft-the-station

UAS Remote ID: ALL aboard! The Train Has Left the Station

Regulators do a bad job of head faking, so they don’t. But, they do telegraph their moves with startling clarity. The audience saw this in action during FAA’s 2018 UAS Symposium in Baltimore on the subject of UAS remote identification. That four senior FAA executives championed the basic premise that drones should be identified and tracked should come as a surprise to no one. But what audience members heard suggests that this potential requirement will apply to nearly every registered user who flies a drone or model airplane.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

this should probably not come as a surprise to anyone that has been following these threads. it is what the full scale guys, and commercial drone guys have wanted for us all along.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think any model that flies less than 1,000 AGL should not need to be tracked and unless real close to a airport wont be picked up anyway, I also feel that models that are only operated at designated flying sites should not need to tracked.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So does the NAS have the technology to track all these little blips popping in and out? How can they when still using technology from the 70's?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
So does the NAS have the technology to track all these little blips popping in and out? How can they when still using technology from the 70's?
They can't .

My view of how this will end up ?

We will end up with some little transponder device in all of our RC planes that'll be putting out a specific GUID code traceable to each of us . These will not be tracked or monitored until such time as someone finds themselves in airspace where they don't belong (such as in front of a jetliner at 7000 feet , for example) and then the transponder will be most certainly "pinged" from the ground so the authorities know exactly whom to come & arrest for bouncing one off of the nose of said jetliner .

Sound about right ?

Now in future incarnations of the upgrades to the present 1970's tech (very aptly put by scottrc , by the way) I most certainly do expect there will be real time tracking of each & every little blip , but I see that as being at least a few upgrades away ...
Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else doubt that any mischievous individual would have such a functional devise in their craft while performing their monkey business? Sounds to me like more baloney from the over regulation fan club. Possibly even by the same individuals that plan to market these little doohickeys.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:19 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I could see such a device being installed as part of the hardware in the camera copters(Yuneec's, DJI's) that the "credit-card flier" types buy and that device being useful when the flyers lacking common sense fly them in an unsafe manner. Of course I'm sure someone would come out with a hack to disable it like they supposedly have with the "no-fly-zone" programming.

They only way I could see this happening for the typical hobbyist would be if the manufactures of radio systems included such a device into the design of their receivers.
Outfitting earlier receivers or planes on 72mhz, etc......?? I don't see how it would happen.

Who will enforce this if it happens? The same folks who were/are supposed to enforce the FAA registration?

What does our AMA have to say about it?

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 03-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 AM
franklin_m

I heard this morning that one of the ideas floating around is no ID for flights from specific sites (read AMA fields), and a ground based transponder for those flying somewhere else. Turn it on when you fly, turn off when you're not. Take it with you to the park, or your farmer friend's field, etc.

In the big scheme of things, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I heard this morning that one of the ideas floating around is no ID for flights from specific sites (read AMA fields), and a ground based transponder for those flying somewhere else. Turn it on when you fly, turn off when you're not. Take it with you to the park, or your farmer friend's field, etc.

In the big scheme of things, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.
I also think that is a good idea.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:50 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

One manufacturer told me that if the aircraft was controlled by an iPhone/Android then the phone could serve as the remote ID. That doesn't address RC aircraft obviously. So, some sort of transponder???
Old 03-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I see a transponder being added internally to our radio receiver's circuit board. For a ground application, the range would be so short that it wouldn't matter as any geographic feature would block the signal. For anything flying, on the other hand, it would only need to transmit a couple of miles to be picked up and that, needless to say, would be enough to pinpoint an operator location
Old 08-25-2018, 01:18 PM
JW0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please forgive me guys as i have not been on RC Universe for awhile, but my first reaction to this is not now not ever. Placing a transponder on my foam Cub? No! Have you lost your mind? Stupid question. It's the FAA. Sorry.