AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Drone Seminar

Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FAA Drone Seminar

Look at this video from a YouTube post on the latest FAA drone seminar. It shows the commercial drone industry throwing us under the bus and the AMA is nowhere is sight.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That guy is a buffoon and off his meds or something, he edited it to show you what he wanted. Go watch the whole two hours of the raw feed.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 07-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the same monkey that got himself kicked out of his home organization for breaking just about all the rules. Bruce Simpson thinks he's an exception for the rules everyone has to live by. The guys a joke.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:49 PM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
This is the same monkey that got himself kicked out of his home organization for breaking just about all the rules. Bruce Simpson thinks he's an exception for the rules everyone has to live by. The guys a joke.
Thank You Dennis for the memory jog , I recognized the guy but couldn't quite place where I knew of him from . His rants have been kicking around the forums longer than I've been participating (I first became aware of on line model airplane chat rooms around 2009) . Despite his doom & gloom predictions I've been flying most weekends just as I have for better than 50 years now .

Oh , and Andy , It's "Buffoon" , two "Os" and not one
Old 07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I knew that!

I can't believe the traction this is getting on forums and social media, people will listen to and share anything.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...pdate-july-23/
Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
warningshot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
That guy is a buffoon and off his meds or something, he edited it to show you what he wanted. Go watch the whole two hours of the raw feed.
So the question is-- Was AMA there?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
So the question is-- Was AMA there?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
I knew that!

I can't believe the traction this is getting on forums and social media, people will listen to and share anything.

My Friend , you know how it goes , good news travels as a whisper , whereas bad/fake news and gossip travels like wildfire .

Like all of Bruce Simpson's rants , I'm chalking this one up to a "tempest in a teapot" , and nothing more . My weekend flying activities continuing unabated is my proof that the AMA IS doing something to protect us , rather than "sitting on it's hands" as Bruce asserts in his diatribe .

Proudly , init4fun , AMA 80274 .......
Old 07-24-2018, 05:43 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a small town in my area has quite a 4th of July celebration that usually gathers a several thousand spectators. last time I was there, I noticed a squad car with a couple law enforcement people, positioned right in amongst the crowd, Tx in hand, flying a drone over the crowd to watch for fights or whatever. I thought it was pretty irresponsible of them and wondered if they were aware of the AMA guidelines and the danger they were putting the crowd in. I felt like going up to them and asking them just what they thought they were doing, but I didn't want to spend the rest of my 4th in jail. I can understand ignoring the guidelines in an emergency situation, but this was no emergency. I would almost think it boardered intimidation.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are operating under Part 107, not recreational 336/AMA rules.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by r ward View Post
a small town in my area has quite a 4th of July celebration that usually gathers a several thousand spectators. last time I was there, I noticed a squad car with a couple law enforcement people, positioned right in amongst the crowd, Tx in hand, flying a drone over the crowd to watch for fights or whatever. I thought it was pretty irresponsible of them and wondered if they were aware of the AMA guidelines and the danger they were putting the crowd in. I felt like going up to them and asking them just what they thought they were doing, but I didn't want to spend the rest of my 4th in jail. I can understand ignoring the guidelines in an emergency situation, but this was no emergency. I would almost think it boardered intimidation.
Hello r ward ,

AMA rules (note I didn't say "Laws") are for AMA members only , us hobbyists flying under the auspices of Sec. #336 . ANY and all other uses are bound and regulated by FAA part 107 . In other words , if you feel the law enforcement's drone operation was was unsafe , it is NOT an "AMA problem" as those policemen are NOT hobbyists , instead it's an "FAA problem" as I highly doubt the officer's flight(s) were compliant under FAA part 107 flight rules (for instance , DID they file a flight plan with the FAA prior to the flight ?) .

Report the incident to the FAA if you feel so strongly that the crowd was needlessly endangered ......

Nice , Andy beat me to the post by mere minutes

Last edited by init4fun; 07-24-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When ever there is a new tool made available in the rush to put it to use sometimes the organization and the operators are not fully aware of how they are expected to operate or use the new technology. This goes for those who are charged with enforcing and upholding the law.

In Canada we have an OPP officer Marc Sharpe who I believe is now retired who pioneered drone usage with the OPP. Though I do not share the same views or opinions I must say he has done more than anyone I am aware of to promote the safe and proper usage of a drone for non recreational purposes. He is a model flyer member of MAAC and represented his zone as Zone Director as well as sat on various advisory committees that worked with our aviation authority when the bulk of the work was done re drones and model aircraft.

What needs to happen is a thorough training program before turning this technology loose.

Dennis
Old 07-28-2018, 05:54 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The FAA recognizes the rules set forth by the AMA to be followed by those who fly model aircraft kept in line of sight. You don`t have to be a member of the AMA to fly. For me it would have been interesting to observe law enforcement officials flying a "drone" over a crowd. I would think they`re not going to let just anyone on the force do it. They must be fully aware the liability involved in such an activity. It would be another thing if the person started going all 3D over the crowd.
C`mon r ward, actually you thought it was really cool and you wanted to go over there and check out their equipment and ask a bunch of questions, right?