Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New A.M.A. Website

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New A.M.A. Website

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New A.M.A. Website

Has anyone tried the new website? I tried to pull up local events and it comes up blank every time, even for events listed in the magazine. Also tried to pull up the rules addendum's related to the Safety Code and nothing is available. I don't know why they changed it, it seemed to work great beforehand.

Any helpful feedback appreciated.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There was a lot going on at the same time, the web site was part of a larger implementation and they have been working a lot of OT since the "go-live" to get the bugs worked out in the order of priority.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm! What ever happened to quality assurance testing prior to going live?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:33 AM
BarracudaHockey

Well, as someone that does this for a living I can tell you that no matter how hard you think you test, when you go live to the full audience you find the problems.

To say they didn't test before going live is ill informed.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:51 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

just look at the last coupla roll outs of upgrades at this place...
Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Something else you have to remember is that, regardless of how much testing goes on, there are always going to be situations that aren't thought of by the people doing the programming and testing.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 AM
Appowner
Banned

I too am retired from IT. While I never worked web sites, I was part of an effort that stood up a new network consisting of over 100 servers, 5000 workstations and some 20,000 user accounts. All glitches were resolved in a matter of a few days.

My point is, expecting problems is one thing. Accepting them as business as usual is something else.

My last position was as QA in software development. A small team working on a proprietary software package on which lives literally relied on. Think we didn't test the 'H' out of it?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 AM
cjtyped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fantasy is that I can enter " RC Scale events within 500 miles of me in the next 90 days" . There is no such thing tony knowledge. WHY is this so complicated?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM
BarracudaHockey

I badgered them into searching by district a couple of years ago, that doesn't always work if you're near a boundary but you can get what you want pretty easily
Old 08-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Lifer

It wasn't complicated before they "Improved" it. It seems that the delivery of quality service to the membership is a low priority anymore. I had 2 sanctioned events that I was the CD this year. The listings were in the wrong place, and they had jumbled the dates and details between both of the events. I placed over 5 phone calls trying to correct the situation and all I got was a lot of attitude from the staff. They have also messed up the details for another event run by someone else in my club as well, so it isn't just me. I truly believe that traditional modelers are low priority now, and it will remain that way from this point forward.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

bingo to lifer...
Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by cjtyped
My fantasy is that I can enter " RC Scale events within 500 miles of me in the next 90 days" . There is no such thing tony knowledge. WHY is this so complicated?
Finding someone who can wright the code and be the low bid for the contract at the same time. I don't know who does the AMA web site and I really don't care. But one thing you can be sure of in the IT industry is, you can spend a whole lot of money on a great deal of incompetence. Not saying all are incompetent. But for a truely professional web site that stands up on day one, you're going to pay for it. And I just do not see an organization with a couple of decades of declining revenue being willing to spend what it needs.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Well, as someone that does this for a living I can tell you that no matter how hard you think you test, when you go live to the full audience you find the problems.

To say they didn't test before going live is ill informed.
If what we're seeing is an example of their attention of "how hard you think you test," I'd sure hate to see anything less. I can't think of any website I've been to lately that has as many errors. Even small businesses. Who in the world approved this to go live?

"About AMA" -> "Executive Council" -> "Executive Council Meetings" gives an error.
Testing the link that helps members know how their money is spent must not be a priority.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Lifer
It wasn't complicated before they "Improved" it. It seems that the delivery of quality service to the membership is a low priority anymore. I had 2 sanctioned events that I was the CD this year. The listings were in the wrong place, and they had jumbled the dates and details between both of the events. I placed over 5 phone calls trying to correct the situation and all I got was a lot of attitude from the staff. They have also messed up the details for another event run by someone else in my club as well, so it isn't just me. I truly believe that traditional modelers are low priority now, and it will remain that way from this point forward.
And our membership dollars are paying for that incompetence and attitude. Maybe the new ED should start earning that high dollar salary and start firing some people that can't (or won't) do their jobs.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 AM
franklin_m

There was a lot going on at the same time, the web site was part of a larger implementation and they have been working a lot of OT since the "go-live" to get the bugs worked out in the order of priority.
Considering that staff takes a big chunk of members dollars, I guess it's crazy for us to expect they can do more than one thing at a time. "There was a lot going on..."

Yeah right.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM
BarracudaHockey

Nothing like hearing your 2 cents Frank, you made my day as usual.

I'm sure you could do things better than everyone at HQ and on the EC, if only everyone could meet your standards you'd have nothing to gripe about.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:56 PM
franklin_m

I'm sure you could do things better than everyone at HQ and on the EC, if only everyone could meet your standards you'd have nothing to gripe about.
Andy poster above talks about multiple calls to fix what are fundamentally pretty simple things. Now this website. Basic functions don't work.

What we see are symptoms of leadership in that clearly doesn't hold people accountable for doing the job the members pay them to do, correctly, the first time. It's long past time to start firing some folks .. people who can't get newsletters out / posted on time. People who can't seem to get reports done on time. People like the one above that throw attitude at members.

And who's job is it to do that? Oh yeah, the ED. Someone who's paid by members and earning a top 1% salary in Muncie, and in the top 5% of salaries in the state.

And decision making? Who made the decision to roll this website, clearly without enough testing ... and do it days before the national aviation day in the middle of the flying season? This sort of major change to a fundamental communication tool should have waited until a slower time of the year. But noooooo.

This is what happens when you put a marketing guy in charge. Glossy photos were the clear priority, comprehensive testing was not. He prioritized looking good over function. Basic links don't work. I find it hard to believe there was any testing at all. Heck there's websites that will check your links for you. And what is really painful is to think of how much member's money was wasted on this failure.

You threw the quip about high standards. That's probably the most telling comment, for it illustrates just how little is expected of the staff for what they're paid. That's not the EC's money, it's the members money, and people are clearly being paid for work that's not getting done or getting done poorly. I never knew that working links was too much to expect.

As for what I could do, we can skip that for now. I can think of several E-7s that could do a better job managing a small staff like this - a staff that's really not doing anything complex ... that is unless walking and chewing gum is difficult. It's all about setting clear expectations, deadlines, and standards of performance and then holding people accountable.

Clearly that's not being done. And that's a failure of leadership.

p.s. The same links that were broken on day one are still broken today ... apparently there's no sense of urgency either.

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-12-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Cleanup...
Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
If what we're seeing is an example of their attention of "how hard you think you test," I'd sure hate to see anything less. I can't think of any website I've been to lately that has as many errors. Even small businesses. Who in the world approved this to go live?

"About AMA" -> "Executive Council" -> "Executive Council Meetings" gives an error.
Testing the link that helps members know how their money is spent must not be a priority.

Ditto!

When I was doing QA we put in 10 plus the man hours into testing as the developers did in writing the stuff. I don't care how small the change or what you think it might affect. Each and every button, menu, feature, etc. of the entire program was tested. Anything less could cost someone their life.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Appowner
Banned

What we see are symptoms of leadership in that clearly doesn't hold people accountable for doing the job the members pay them to do, correctly, the first time. It's long past time to start firing some folks .. people who can't get newsletters out / posted on time. People who can't seem to get reports done on time. People like the one above that throw attitude at members.

.................................................. ...
Actually the firing needs to INCLUDE what is obviously failed leadership.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:08 PM
franklin_m

And club search shows over 5000 clubs? I don't think so. Spot check of the pages in the 100+ range shows many with zero members. Looks like someone is counting clubs that no longer exist.

Just tried to search by state, Alabama, got "The website encountered an unexpected error" hard crash.

No data, page not found, clearly bad data, and "unexpected errors" .... how much members' money was wasted on this?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

And club search shows over 5000 clubs? I don't think so. Spot check of the pages in the 100+ range shows many with zero members. Looks like someone is counting clubs that no longer exist.

Just tried to search by state, Alabama, got "The website encountered an unexpected error" hard crash.

No data, page not found, clearly bad data, and "unexpected errors" .... how much members' money was wasted on this?
Problem is, to make mention of any failings on the part of Muncie brings instant condemnation from the faithful. No discussion of evidence. No investigations of their own. Just condemnation, character attacks and senseless rants. One reason why I left the club scene many years ago and limit my forum participation. I'm in it to build and fly model airplanes. I don't need a club or even a friend to do that.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 AM
Lifer

I've been in it for more than 50 years because I'm a modeler as well. Problem is, the AMA has made membership in their little organization mandatory for most clubs. So, if you want to fly, you have to join them. As such, there is a reasonable expectation of at least a minimum performance on their part. I don't think they are meeting that requirement.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Appowner
Banned

I just did a casual perusal of the new web site. Going to my local District web site I find the last "District" update to be a couple of years old. HQ updates are there but nothing from whomever is in charge of the district.

I also found a number of links to club sites broken. Granted, this may not be the fault of the new site but, for this many to be broken I suspect at least some are due to the new site. Way too many regardless. Local club is listed in the wrong city and their URL is up for sale for over $3000. Hmmmm? Guess I might have to physically check them out after all.

Curiously the web site for one district fails to even come up. And what does appear leads me to suspect they don't even have the correct page format loaded for it. Just making guesses here because I don't have access to the actual code to look. But there are indeed a lot of things wrong. And anyone who thinks this is normal and acceptable for a new web site have standards that simply would not make it in my world.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Part of this comes back to the general membership. If the general membership won't demand Muncie be held accountable, why should Muncie hold those not doing their jobs accountable. To me, as an outsider looking in, I see a general attitude of "It's not my problem, let those that have the authority deal with the issues". I personally won't join the AMA due to this lack of accountability as I don't like getting nothing for my hard earned cash. While I am building aircraft, I can always go to the FAA and get my Part 107, or whatever that number is, and be legally able to fly
Old 08-14-2018, 03:12 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Part of this comes back to the general membership. If the general membership won't demand Muncie be held accountable, why should Muncie hold those not doing their jobs accountable. To me, as an outsider looking in, I see a general attitude of "It's not my problem, let those that have the authority deal with the issues". I personally won't join the AMA due to this lack of accountability as I don't like getting nothing for my hard earned cash. While I am building aircraft, I can always go to the FAA and get my Part 107, or whatever that number is, and be legally able to fly
I agree 100% And BTW, I am not a member either. I left over 20 years ago. And contrary to what the AMA and the membership would want you to believe, you do not need part 107 nor AMA membership to fly recreationally. All you need is to abide by the FAA rules as listed on their web site and register as a recreational flyer IF you fly models weighing over 8 ounces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.