AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is the AMA

Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
And that, in a nutshell, is where this hobby needs to go, back to the clubs. Your previous post talks about how great the club you visited is, not to mention how generous, and yet you never said anything about the AMA EXCEPT that you showed your card. Seems to me that the AMA was really a non-factor in your visit and, unless you were just pointing out that you had your card with you for our benefit, could of and should of been left out of the post all together.
Fact is, without the card/membership being able to fly as a guest at these clubs would not be possible. Without AMA most of these club sites would not exist. Tokey is one of the few sites in my region where the property is privately owned. The property owner requires the club to maintain an AMA charter to use the land. Most counties have the same requirement. These outings of mine are only possible due to the joint efforts of AMA, the club and property owners.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post

Fact is, without the card/membership being able to fly as a guest at these clubs would not be possible. Without AMA most of these club sites would not exist. Tokey is one of the few sites in my region where the property is privately owned. The property owner requires the club to maintain an AMA charter to use the land. Most counties have the same requirement. These outings of mine are only possible due to the joint efforts of AMA, the club and property owners.
The owners want the insurance the AMA provides and nothing else. And that's the first selling point all clubs throw out there when negotiating a flying site. For way too many years the only source for such insurance was the AMA. Membership and club charter is the only means for that. If the AMA did not provide insurance, another source would no doubt appear.

Making it sound like the landlords are demanding AMA because they think it's such a great organization is just BS. And don't deny it. That is exactly what you were doing.

I remember when SFA came along and offered insurance that was actually better than what the AMA provides. The AMA went so far as to threaten clubs with loss of charters should they dare to charter with SFA as well. Interesting times which proved to me that the only concern Muncie has for the membership is the contents of their check books.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a decrepit old dinosaur in the age of mammals...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you are so hyper focused on what the AMA does wrong that you have blinded yourself to what they do right. The fact remains that property owners and counties want AMA involvement in regards to granting permission/Leases for flying sites.

When SFA was around I was a member of SCCMAS in Morgan Hill Ca. Both AMA and SFA were accepted until SFA shut down and there were no AMA imposed consequences as a result.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you are so hyper focused on what the AMA does wrong that you have blinded yourself to what they do right. The fact remains that property owners and counties want AMA involvement in regards to granting permission/Leases for flying sites.

When SFA was around I was a member of SCCMAS in Morgan Hill Ca. Both AMA and SFA were accepted until SFA shut down and there were no AMA imposed consequences as a result.
AMA failed me and my club when we needed them. And all we asked for was a letter. The AMA has a way to go to prove their worth to me now.

And I was a club President during the SFA thing. Somewhere around here I might have the letter from Dave Brown telling all clubs that a dual AMA /SFA charter would not be tolerated. However, the AMA soon realized the error of their ways and backed off that threat. I suspect your club fell through those cracks.

My club responded with a "Well, if that's the way you want it. Be advised we will not be renewing our AMA charter next cycle." I suspect the AMA backing off was the result of receiving quite a few such letters. And from some pretty noteworthy clubs too.

The main reason people ask for the AMA charter is simply because that is what the clubs advertise and push. And that is because currently that is the only real insurance option. As long as I can provide equal or better insurance for the landlord, I can get permission anywhere the AMA can. SFA proved that!

You seem to regard the AMA as the Holy Grail of RC. It is anything but.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:19 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post

You seem to regard the AMA as the Holy Grail of RC. It is anything but.

I don't think I have said anything that would lead a reasonable person to draw that conclusion. That is where the problems arise, when people start their attempt to put words into others mouths. This thread was started to illustrate that some people including myself feel that the AMA is more about its members and less about what is going on in Muncie. I have not once in this thread or any other claimed the AMA has not made mistakes. We all know what they are and what we are now facing because of it. That should not take away from what people in the individual clubs have been doing and continue to do to promote the hobby. You obviously feel that you have been slighted by the AMA. That is your prerogative, but that is your experience, not everyone's.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was going to do a lengthy write up about the great weekend I just had flying in an AMA sanctioned pattern event right up to seeing this on Facebook. I just can't experess how happy I am that I was able to contribute to another modelers success.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been working on a little project the past few weeks and to be honest I was fairly torn on whether I should post anything about it or not and if I should even do it here on this thread after it got so convoluted. I decided it should be posted as I feel it is high time to stop the devide between modelers and start doing what is best for the hobby as a whole. It's not a surprise that we are very lacking in young people in our hobby. Again to be honest if all R/C guys behave as some in this thread have I would want nothing to do with the hobby as well. Thankfully the majority that I have encountered have been first rate people. So my little project? I was so taken with Lucas not only his skill as a model pilot but the type of man he is growing into. My wife and I have met his mother almost accidentally. Lucas's grandmother had reccomended a restaurant for us to try which we did. While there we saw that they were having an event which included some lessons on portrait type painting. My wife signed us up. While at the event my wife was struggling with her painting and was starting to tear up a bit. The instructor came over and took her hand and reassured my wife that art in no way needs to be perfect or symmetrical which was what my wife was having issues with. The instructor showed my wife a few easy techniques and all was good once again. When my wife mentioned how OCD I was with my model airplanes, the instructor got wide eyed and said that her son flies model airplanes. She got even wider eyed when I showed her a picture of Lucas on my phone.

So just what is my project? Since developing my own pattern airplane I have a different airplane that I flew last year just sitting and collecting dust. At first I thought about just passing the airplane to him but quickly realized that doing so would certainly be a financial burden on his single mom. I reached out to fellow modelers in an attempt to get all the required equipment to give Lucas a turn key airplane. The response was nothing short of amazing. At the end of the first day I had commitments for absolutely everything needed and actually had to start turning down offers. This is a great example of what the hobby is for me. A tight knit group who will come together when asked. Although my gesture here is a small one and only reaches one family, imagine if all of us just stepped up and reached out to one young person. What a positive thing that would be for the hobby. We all have the power and ability to make a positive difference within the hobby, all we all need to do is decide to make a difference.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At long last Lucas's Birthday came about. There was a total of 6 guys coming together with equipment to make this happen. IMO this goes way beyond giving a young man an airplane. This will help him build confidence, self worth and help provide him with a positive activity as opposed to the many non positive activities that many of our youth get involved with these days. I'm proud that I was able to be a part of this. Regardless of being an AMA member/supporter or not this is the essence of what the hobby should all be about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwagtS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-21-2019, 01:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regardless of being an AMA member/supporter or not this is the essence of what the hobby should all be about.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwagtS...ature=youtu.be
And I totally agree with you in this case. There are too many out there that only look at themselves and think others are only in their way.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The hobby actually should be different things to different people. And is what any individual wants to get out of it. The problem is when people are criticized, vilified and condemned for not aligning their goals with others. And this includes actions by Muncie.

Fact:
The AMA CFO recently stated the AMA is going broke.
AMA EC voted 10-2 in favor of a business as usual budget for 2019.
The above supports what Franklin has been posting and saying for years.

From what I've seen the vast majority of AMA members don't care.

So, just exactly what IS the AMA?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Refer to post one paragraph one.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Refer to post one paragraph one.
To you maybe. But not to everyone. And that is my point.

Now, an officer on the EC has boldly stated the AMA is going broke. What if anything do you intend to do about that? Or is that not part of your AMA?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably the most significant would be to continue to not post in this forum. Seems when you have nobody to berate it’s pretty quiet.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that sounds like a way to avoid the issues, especially since one of your officers has bluntly stated that what we've been telling you for the past several months wasn't one person's fabricated way to undermine the AMA's overly expensive home office but is, rather, legitimate fact. If you won't believe what's being said and would rather go bury your head in the sand(which there is plenty of in California), so be it.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably the most significant would be to continue to not post in this forum. Seems when you have nobody to berate it’s pretty quiet.
Asking a question is berating you?

Or is my pointing out that not everyone wants the same as you from the hobby? Or the AMA for that matter!

Maybe you should stay out of this forum. We'll still have plenty to talk about as we watch the AMA spiral out of control.

Last edited by Appowner; 01-21-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It’s obvious from your responses that you simply are attempting to bait me on my thread that was intended to illustrate the positive side of the hobby. I suggest that if you are in such a need of a sparring partner you should join a gym.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bait? I ask a direct question and you give me nothing but your PC BS Babble and you claim I'm baiting you?

You say the dumbest things Speedy! Ha! Ha! Ha!

F.I.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And while you're at it Speedy, check post #21. The question, the title of YOUR thread is "What is the AMA?".

The AMA itself has an answer for that exact question on their web site. I posted it in #21 for you but just in case, here it is again:

"What is the AMA?
World's largest model aviation association, representing a membership of more than 195,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group.
Self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.
Organization open to anyone interested in model aviation.
Official national body for model aviation in the United States. AMA sanctions more than 2,000 model competitions throughout the country each year, and certifies official model flying records on a national and international level.
Organizer of the annual National Aeromodeling Championships, the world's largest model airplane competition.
Chartering organization for more than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country. AMA offers its chartered clubs official contest sanction, insurance, and assistance in getting and keeping flying sites.
The voice of its membership, providing liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Communications Commission, and other government agencies through our national headquarters in Muncie, Indiana. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and parks departments to promote the interests of local chartered clubs.
An associate member of the National Aeronautic Association. Through NAA, AMA is recognized by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world governing body of all aviation activity, as the only organization which may direct U.S. participation in international aeromodeling activities."

So it would seem that Muncie has a bit of a different idea about it than you do. So perhaps your real argument is with them. You should look into that!

Now, you can call this bait if you want. But I'm not expecting any response from you. Just making yet another observation.