AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What is the AMA

Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What is the AMA

The AMA is much more then just the organization in Muncie. It's more then a late report, more then spread sheets. AMA is the people who are in the clubs, the true representatives of our hobby. It's the men and women who keep the clubs open that enables most of us to enjoy our hobby. It's the people who mow the grass, train new members, make a pot of coffee in the clubhouse. It's the friendships that develop from the common love of model airplanes. At my home club there are a group of guys who get together almost every weekday morning to take a flight or two but more importantly visit with their long time friends and be active in their retirement years. They talk about their military experiences, gossip, help new members learn to fly. They enjoy their life just a little more because they belong to an AMA sanctioned R/C club.

Yesterday one local club had a vintage fun fly. The criteria was that your model had to be a kit built airplane of a 30+ year old design. We had roughly 12 guys show up. More importantly is that it was a gathering of friends but several new friendships were made as well. I met a couple guys that are friends of friends I already had. I made a new friend of a young man named Jim. He and his grandparents came by to watch the airplanes fly and at times cheered as we landed. They were invited into the pits to get a closer look. Several of the participants spent time with Jim and his grandparents answering questions, showing their airplanes to them but more importantly showing them a warm welcome. I certainly hope that Jim does get involved with the hobby, we do need more young men like him.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A picture of Jim with my Reed Falcon that he seemed to fancy along with a few other classics.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Call me old fashioned , , , , or just plain old , , but , methinks Jim needs a haircut .......

Flak Jacket on .
Old 09-09-2018, 10:45 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim is a unique young man. With a closer look you may have noticed he is missing his right forearm and hand.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:05 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Honestly , this is a for real attempt at a helpful suggestion ;

Why don't you have someone good at writing set up one of those "Go Fund Me" websites to buy him a prostectic (spelling?) hand ? I'll bet enough folks would respond to that and want to help him that plenty enough funds would be raised .
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the impression that his family is fairly well off. Both his grandparents are college educated. Jim and his parents live in Berkeley California which is extremely expensive. Had he lived in my area I would have given him an electric powered sailplane and petitioned my local club for a free one year membership. Being that there is a good amount of sailplane activity in his area I suggested he and his grand parents visit the AMA sailplane club that is just a 10 minute drive from where we were yesterday. I plan to call that clubs president later today to see if they did show up. That particular club keeps a few Radian sailplanes flight ready on site for these such occasions. My hope is that Jim did visit them and got some stick time.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:51 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Ever wonder why the negative threads get a great deal,of traffic but the positive threads get ignored for the most part. That was my little experiment a week ago. I started a very positive thread about an event and a young man who was interested in taking up the hobby. First comment was a negative comment about the young man's appearance. That is the quality of the platform on which you choose to use.[/left]
As a footnote to this thread ;

This thread was started for no other reason than a "little experiment" by the thread originator's own admission . I knew the point and purpose of this thread well before I responded to it , the motive being as clear as a clean window on a sunny day and this was the basis for my response , to give the original poster what he was looking for to draw out his REAL motive for posting this thread . This thread has nothing to do with the young man taking up the hobby , the model airplanes , or the future of the hobby itself , and everything to do with the original poster's need to prove a point using whatever means available , up to and including the young man's appearance . Had this thread been posted without the ugly undertone of teaching the board a lesson it would have been great (and my first response would have been far more positive) but with the ulterior motive being one of "one upmanship" and a "little experiment" the original poster should be truly ashamed of himself
Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

This thread was started for no other reason than a "little experiment" by the thread originator's own admission . I knew the point and purpose of this thread well before I responded to it , the motive being as clear as a clean window on a sunny day and this was the basis for my response , to give the original poster what he was looking for to draw out his REAL motive for posting this thread . This thread has nothing to do with the young man taking up the hobby , the model airplanes , or the future of the hobby itself , and everything to do with the original poster's need to prove a point using whatever means available , up to and including the young man's appearance . Had this thread been posted without the ugly undertone of teaching the board a lesson it would have been great (and my first response would have been far more positive) but with the ulterior motive being one of "one upmanship" and a "little experiment" the original poster should be truly ashamed of himself
Don't let it bother you. Just set the childrens cartoon character to ignore like I did and carry on.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

Absolutly wrong! The original attempt was to bring something positive to the forum of negitivity. The point was that in spite of an obvious handicap this young man was interested in picking up the hobby. It was also to illustrate that in spite of the challenge, there were a few AMA members that were willing to step up and help this young man. It wasn't until YOUR judgmental comments that it became a tool for me to use to illustrate that we are destroying the hobby from within as opposed to the BS that Franklin suggests. I thank you for providing the example of what NOT to do to promote our hobby and for both of you to prove my point about cyber bullies on RCU.