Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

Reply

Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 PM
  #51  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,474
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Why does Franklin have to be out for some kind of personal gain? All he's done is bring some information about the AMA's financial situation out of the shadows of government red tape and posted it here for us to see. I do agree, he's put his own commentary out there with it but, if you ignore everything he's said, just focusing on the government required documentation, it tells a very different story than what the AMA brass is telling. Granted, anyone looking at the documentation can extrapolate what they want from it, but taken as a whole and at face value, it should make you think twice about how things are being run in Muncie. I personally think the AMA offices need to do an almost total housecleaning and cut unneeded positions and programs. Why does it need a retail store or a multi-person historical staff? Were those positions in the initial organization or operational statement? It the AMA office were to go back to it's original mission, supporting the hobby of model aviation, they could save thousands of dollars a year and probably become more relevant in DC.
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 PM
  #52  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

What specific positions and programs do you have in mind Dave? I'm not especially disagreeing with you that changes need to be made but from the outside looking in I would never claim to know exactly what those changes need to be. I pride myself on looking at a situation and try to the the events that led to the situation. Right now I see the AMA in unchartered waters facing challenges that they must first learn to deal with before knowing which direction to go. The popularity of the hobby is in a serious decline. I have some rather candid conversations with the local hobby shop owner and he is struggling big time. then the battle with the FAA. I have to imagine that with the decline in membership revenue and the cost of dealing with the FAA that some things fall through the cracks. Of course it is easy to blame it all on incompetence. Cutting saleries although on the surface sounds like a good idea but is not. If a competitive compensation package is not offered based on the position and region then nobody will want the position or you end up with someone unqualified. I know that argument will be lost with this group though.

What is in all this for Franklin? Perhaps that is a question you should ask him. I have seen enough here and on RCG that lead me to beleive that there needs to be some form of compensation for his efforts. The fact that he has omitted telling us that he is connected with certain commercial drone organizations should be enough to make people take note.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:43 AM
  #53  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 815
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Changed my mind. Not worth a response.

Last edited by Appowner; 12-08-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 AM
  #54  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Changed my mind. Not worth a response.

You do realize that insults do not add to your credibility.

As a side note, I had issues logging onto AMA site at 4pm pacific time yesterday. Sent a notification and within an hour had an email stating the issue was fixed. Logged on and renewed for 2019. Apparently somone was there late doing a good job. I kept my transaction number just in case there is an issue to aid in a timely fix if required.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 12-08-2018 at 09:16 AM.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM
  #55  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,254
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
What is in all this for Franklin? Perhaps that is a question you should ask him. I have seen enough here and on RCG that lead me to beleive that there needs to be some form of compensation for his efforts. The fact that he has omitted telling us that he is connected with certain commercial drone organizations should be enough to make people take note.
So you think Franklin is out to destroy the hobby to further his interests in certain commercial drone organizations ?

That's what I take away from your post .

And , can you list the organizations you believe he is affiliated with ?
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
  #56  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 815
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post



You do realize that insults do not add to your credibility.

As a side note, I had issues logging onto AMA site at 4pm pacific time yesterday. Sent a notification and within an hour had an email stating the issue was fixed. Logged on and renewed for 2019. Apparently somone was there late doing a good job. I kept my transaction number just in case there is an issue to aid in a timely fix if required.
One mans opinion is another mans insult. Keep looking for the worse in people and that is exactly what you will find.

Those who take it upon themselves to stamp-out so-called ďhate speech,Ē strangle free speech and the free exchange of ideas in the process.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:38 PM
  #57  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 815
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
so you think franklin is out to destroy the hobby to further his interests in certain commercial drone organizations ?

That's what i take away from your post .

And , can you list the organizations you believe he is affiliated with ?
ama.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:08 PM
  #58  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,474
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Cutting saleries although on the surface sounds like a good idea but is not. If a competitive compensation package is not offered based on the position and region then nobody will want the position or you end up with someone unqualified. I know that argument will be lost with this group though.

What is in all this for Franklin? Perhaps that is a question you should ask him. I have seen enough here and on RCG that lead me to beleive that there needs to be some form of compensation for his efforts. The fact that he has omitted telling us that he is connected with certain commercial drone organizations should be enough to make people take note.
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
So you think Franklin is out to destroy the hobby to further his interests in certain commercial drone organizations ?
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post

That's what I take away from your post .

And , can you list the organizations you believe he is affiliated with ?

Who said anything about cutting salaries, Speed? I said cut positions if the person in it isn't pulling their weight. I said cut positions that are not needed, specifically the grounds crew, retail and historical departments as they don't really need full time help. Those cuts alone would save several hundred thousand in expenses.
I have to agree with init4fun, that's what I also got out of your last paragraph. I doubt that's what he's doing. In fact, I think he's more than likely trying to point out the wastefulness and ineptitude of the AMA officers and staff, not to mention the lack of results from the legal staff, something that's costing serious amounts of money that the AMA can no longer afford to waste.
You have said repeatedly that we shouldn't judge what is being done in Muncie without being in Muncie to actually see what's going on. I've worked in offices, I've worked in production and I've worked in field service. I've seen how one person not pulling their weight affects the rest of the staff and how efficiency is decreased. I'm dealing with that very issue right now at work. I have been pulling 12 on 12 off for the past two weeks, prior to that it was at least 1-2 double shifts per week because of others not pulling their weight. I don't need to see what's going on in Muncie, I'm dealing with the same thing at home

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-08-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  #59  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
So you think Franklin is out to destroy the hobby to further his interests in certain commercial drone organizations ?

That's what I take away from your post .

And , can you list the organizations you believe he is affiliated with ?

No, I do not think that Franklin is out to destroy the hobby. What I beleive is happening is that he is attacking the AMA in an effort to reduce membership. His MO is to convince people that there is no value to joining the AMA and to discredit the staff. Reducing the membership base will do two things. It gives then a weaker voice to represent us and limits their revenue to do so. The goal is to have traditional R/C limited to 400' altitude cap so that the retailers that want drone delivery will have the airspace. Those retailers such as Amazon have hired drone advocacy groups to lobby for them. Frank is a member/consultant of at least one of those groups. This RCG thread has some good info. It also has a ton of junk from both sides but there is enough there to make me confident my conclusions are fairly accurate.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-our-Airspace


Another intersting read.

https://dronebusiness.center/faa-say...y-model-11793/
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  #60  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
One mans opinion is another mans insult. Keep looking for the worse in people and that is exactly what you will find.

Those who take it upon themselves to stamp-out so-called ďhate speech,Ē strangle free speech and the free exchange of ideas in the process.

Nice to meet you MR. Kettle!
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM
  #61  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Who said anything about cutting salaries, Speed? I said cut positions if the person in it isn't pulling their weight. I said cut positions that are not needed, specifically the grounds crew, retail and historical departments as they don't really need full time help. Those cuts alone would save several hundred thousand in expenses.
I have to agree with init4fun, that's what I also got out of your last paragraph. I doubt that's what he's doing. In fact, I think he's more than likely trying to point out the wastefulness and ineptitude of the AMA officers and staff, not to mention the lack of results from the legal staff, something that's costing serious amounts of money that the AMA can no longer afford to waste.
You have said repeatedly that we shouldn't judge what is being done in Muncie without being in Muncie to actually see what's going on. I've worked in offices, I've worked in production and I've worked in field service. I've seen how one person not pulling their weight affects the rest of the staff and how efficiency is decreased. I'm dealing with that very issue right now at work. I have been pulling 12 on 12 off for the past two weeks, prior to that it was at least 1-2 double shifts per week because of others not pulling their weight. I don't need to see what's going on in Muncie, I'm dealing with the same thing at home

Dave, Franklin on several occasions has commented on his opinion that the AMA staff is overpaid. Trust me I understand about needing strong team members. I didn't always work in the Aerospace industry. Several different careers actually. At one time I was on the road crew for a very popular Country trio ( at the time ). A typical day would have us rolling off the bus at 8:30 am and unloading the 11 semi trucks of equipment. We would set up the show, work the show and then tear it down and load it back up. We usually got back onto the bus at 3:00 to 3:30 am and be back at it 5 hours later in a different location. I would be assigned 3 local stage hands each day. If one of them didn't pull his/her weight it made my day quite painful.

OK back to AMA cuts. That may be an option to cut unnessesary departments but I honestly imagine that the staff already wears multiple hats. I seriously doubt that they have people who do only retail and nothing else or staff the Museum and nothing else. Groundskeeping may be a nesessary thing that may not be an option to scale back on. Even though the AMA purchased the land there may be local government regulations that requires a certain level of maintenance. Not to mention that if they let the facility go that would reduce the already limited number of visitors or cost even more when it comes time to host the Nationals. They also seem to be using the facility to generate other sources of income. My point is maybe we should look at things from multiple points before we criticize.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:03 PM
  #62  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,474
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Speed, What I find interesting is that two of the people that posted on the first page of the thread you linked have had their accounts suspended and a third account is closed. Seems to me that the thread already has credibility issues.

BTW, would you mind telling us what other sources of income the AMA staff is holding at the office facility? The only things I've heard about are a couple of groups that MIGHT rent out the indoor flight center, if it's ever built.
As far as firing the grounds staff, it's a very viable option considering the site is seldom used anyway and, when getting ready to hold a big event like a nationals, a company could be contracted to take care of anything needed. The rest of the year, have that hired company come out to take care if everything once a month or so. It would be much cheaper than paying a crew that doesn't really do anything most of the time since I doubt the grass grows that fast in the summer and is covered with snow in the winter. As far as the staff wearing multiple hats, I'll bet I can find a post giving a listing of how much staff the AMA has on payroll and I'm pretty sure none wear multiple hats

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-08-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM
  #63  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Speed, What I find interesting is that two of the people that posted on the first page of the thread you linked have had their accounts suspended and a third account is closed. Seems to me that the thread already has credibility issues
I fail to see how that changes any facts. IMO that illustrates Franklin's skill at playing within the site rules and reporting violations where others are not so skilled. I think it would also classify as shooting the messenger of which I have been accused of on this site.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:59 PM
  #64  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,254
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post


I fail to see how that changes any facts. IMO that illustrates Franklin's skill at playing within the site rules and reporting violations where others are not so skilled. I think it would also classify as shooting the messenger of which I have been accused of on this site.
I looked at the linked thread , and Franklin himself has denied taking any money whatsoever for his writings from the commercial drone industry . Just as I have to take you and your posts at face value , Franklin is also entitled to that same consideration . No financial motivation = no "Ulterior Motive" from where I sit , as you allege he has by pointing out his association with commercial drone interests .

The question of his financial interest has been raised , and answered by the accused himself in what I believe to be a satisfactory manner . Any other talk of his supposed "financial interests" , without concrete proof , is nothing short of slander in my book and is certainly not acceptable per the RCU rules on "personal attacks" , nor a particularly gentlemanly way to treat a fellow AMA member .
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM
  #65  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,254
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post



No, I do not think that Franklin is out to destroy the hobby. What I beleive is happening is that he is attacking the AMA in an effort to reduce membership. His MO is to convince people that there is no value to joining the AMA and to discredit the staff. Reducing the membership base will do two things. It gives then a weaker voice to represent us and limits their revenue to do so. The goal is to have traditional R/C limited to 400' altitude cap so that the retailers that want drone delivery will have the airspace. Those retailers such as Amazon have hired drone advocacy groups to lobby for them. Frank is a member/consultant of at least one of those groups. This RCG thread has some good info. It also has a ton of junk from both sides but there is enough there to make me confident my conclusions are fairly accurate.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-our-Airspace


Another intersting read.

https://dronebusiness.center/faa-say...y-model-11793/
PS , This post I quoted here is the post I intended to quote in my previous post .

Speed , just so you know , my impartiality extends to ALL members of the AMA , including you . If , for instance , someone were to accuse you of being a paid agent of the AMA sent here to quell any bad press the AMA may receive , I'd demand to see concrete proof of it , and without that proof I'd call the unsubstantiated allegation against you slander as well .
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:07 PM
  #66  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,474
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post


I fail to see how that changes any facts. IMO that illustrates Franklin's skill at playing within the site rules and reporting violations where others are not so skilled. I think it would also classify as shooting the messenger of which I have been accused of on this site.
What it does is take the credibility of those two down to the point of none, at least in my book. To be suspended, it tells me those two have violated site rules to the extent that the administration felt they had to take action. As for the third, a closed account has me wondering if the person requested the account closed due to someone's retribution or if the admins closed it due to behavior. In the case of the third, I'll take his posts at face value but I can't give the same to the other two or, for that matter any others with a suspended account. What I also don't see is how it puts Franklin in a bad light. This is one where, IMO, your opinion seems to be skewed by your dislike of Franklin, therefore you can only see him as dishonest whether he was or wasn't.
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:43 PM
  #67  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
PS , This post I quoted here is the post I intended to quote in my previous post .

Speed , just so you know , my impartiality extends to ALL members of the AMA , including you . If , for instance , someone were to accuse you of being a paid agent of the AMA sent here to quell any bad press the AMA may receive , I'd demand to see concrete proof of it , and without that proof I'd call the unsubstantiated allegation against you slander as well .
I appreciate the follow up post. To be honest based on just the first one I was contemplating a strongly worded response. Good thing I took my wife to see Christmas lights first. I do hope that you realize that my intention is to get to the truth. I honestly feel that Franklin has not been 100% honest in his crusade and feel that with open eyes it does not take much effort to realize this. I will however leave it here.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:56 PM
  #68  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
What it does is take the credibility of those two down to the point of none, at least in my book. To be suspended, it tells me those two have violated site rules to the extent that the administration felt they had to take action. As for the third, a closed account has me wondering if the person requested the account closed due to someone's retribution or if the admins closed it due to behavior. In the case of the third, I'll take his posts at face value but I can't give the same to the other two or, for that matter any others with a suspended account. What I also don't see is how it puts Franklin in a bad light. This is one where, IMO, your opinion seems to be skewed by your dislike of Franklin, therefore you can only see him as dishonest whether he was or wasn't.

Dave, you are correct, I have no favor for Franklin. Not because of the facts he brings forward but because of his motives. Perhaps if you could demonstrate one single positive thing he has done for the hobby I would soften my stance on this. As far as suspended accounts are concerned on RCG, I have one there myself. Moderation there is quite bias IMO. I was tagged as a Troll account after over 1,000 posts and a build thread with over 10,000 hits. That build thread now sits at 12,600 hits. I agree that I am not always the most popular guy but how they were able to claim Troll account after so many posts and a build thread is beyond me.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-scratch-build
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:55 AM
  #69  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 815
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post



Dave, you are correct, I have no favor for Franklin. Not because of the facts he brings forward but because of his motives. Perhaps if you could demonstrate one single positive thing he has done for the hobby I would soften my stance on this. As far as suspended accounts are concerned on RCG, I have one there myself. Moderation there is quite bias IMO. I was tagged as a Troll account after over 1,000 posts and a build thread with over 10,000 hits. That build thread now sits at 12,600 hits. I agree that I am not always the most popular guy but how they were able to claim Troll account after so many posts and a build thread is beyond me.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-scratch-build
So just how many accounts do you have over there? That was your XF3BMAN account that was called a troll and suspended. For what? What thread or topic? The stats say 32.81% of your posts were in the forum of "Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy." With 8.66% in the topic "FAA says no AMA membership required." Throws a different light IMHO on your cries of mistreatment. And I also see a speedracerntrixi with 7 posts. Joined Aug 2010 and last activity Oct 2010. But still active. You? or someone else?

People cry about credibility but when in a forum like this it is simply what one cares to believe about others. I say the sky is blue and someone will challenge me on it. Allowed to go on one or both parties, or even new parties will question the credibility of one or more players. In some cases it causes one or more to post what amounts to a resume about themselves. Basically saying, "See! I'm important too!"

A thread at RCG which is basically a character assassination, has been going on for over a year with over 1500 posts. It was pointed out that 3 of the first page posters have since been suspended or closed. First question I ask is when? I know for a fact that one of those posters was only recently suspended. Does that make any difference in their credibility? And second question is why? Was it related to this same thread or something else?

I assume everyone is telling the truth as they know it. Until proven otherwise. Franklin, for speaking out, is constantly accused of being anti-AMA, anti-Hobby, in it for just himself, etc, etc. He's made statements about himself and been called a liar. How do you know that?

In fact he is simply trying to alert the membership to some serious problems within the AMA. Problems which left unchecked could result in the AMA being a thing of the past in the very near future. A very bad time for the hobby for that happen. (Oh my! Did I make a pro-AMA comment there?) And only the membership can force these issues to be addressed because it's obvious AMA leadership is not interested. Or at least unwilling to admit those issues to the membership.

So my question to the members is, what proof will you accept? Franklin offers publicly available financial documents. Backed not only by his learned analysis but supported by others with a broad range of education and experiences. And some of you agree with them but return then to the task of trying to silence the messengers rather than correct the problem.

Franklin isn't anti-AMA nor anti-Hobby. He just points out issues many in AMA membership (and leadership) do not want to hear or face. And if the membership doesn't bring Muncie to task, it's only a matter of time.

I've intentionally not said much about myself in these forums. And I won't do so here. I once mentioned my MBA to support what I was saying and received a sarcastic "MR. MBA" in response. My first thought to that was a profanity ending in "you". But that comment said a lot about that individual. However the bottom line is, I have education and experiences far and above many here. Does that make me perfect? Nope! Does that mean I can't learn from others? No! But it does make me a source of good information, explanation and analysis. Ditto for Franklin and no doubt, many others. But the membership in their collective ignorance will insist on business as usual. And anyone who speaks ill of the AMA no doubt has ulterior motives. In it for themselves so to speak. Until the final days when you'll all look at each other and wonder how this could have happened?

In spite of my past differences with the AMA, my goal has always been to help them. Now it will be to simply watch them. And you, the membership. As it's up to the membership to do what they will do. I really no longer intend to give a damn.

Last edited by Appowner; 12-09-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM
  #70  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,254
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post



Dave, you are correct, I have no favor for Franklin. Not because of the facts he brings forward but because of his motives. Perhaps if you could demonstrate one single positive thing he has done for the hobby I would soften my stance on this. As far as suspended accounts are concerned on RCG, I have one there myself. Moderation there is quite bias IMO. I was tagged as a Troll account after over 1,000 posts and a build thread with over 10,000 hits. That build thread now sits at 12,600 hits. I agree that I am not always the most popular guy but how they were able to claim Troll account after so many posts and a build thread is beyond me.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-scratch-build
Since it's been brought up , I'll address the situation at RCG .

I too have a banned account at RCG , and I don't believe that affects my credibility here or anywhere else one bit ! My banning came because when I was brand new to posting on chat forums I caught an HK shill red handed , the guy had two different accounts and forgot to "change his socks" while tormenting a poor HK customer who had gotten the usual HK screwing over . The shill posted as KCV6 (who himself was eventually banned , how's THAT for HK's loyalty toward employees for ya ?) and had a second account where he pretended to be a woman , "Chrissy 42" , and he had slipped up and made a post as Chrissy42 but referring to himself as his KCV6 persona . I took screen shots of the whole thing and had a couple very interesting PMs with the site's owner , Mr. Jim Bourke himself , and was promptly banned for providing air tight evidence of what was going on at his site . Little did I know at the time that of course the site owner was firmly , financially , in HK's pocket and pointing out the rotten , rulebreaking actions of the site's primary sponsor's shills was strictly verbotten . I never did return there and to this day have no active account there , why would I willingly provide content to a site that allows shills to openly break it's own rules to further the financial interests of the site's primary sponsor (Mr. Anthony Hand , owner of HK) ?

Now , as to Franklin , I have followed his posts and long ago came to the conclusion that he , coming from a military aviation background , has two ingrained personality traits ; #1 a very strong sense of personal accountability and #2 a very strong interest in aviation safety . That he demands accountability from people he's paying money to (the AMA) comes as no real surprise as I'd bet he does hold himself to the same standards , and as to the safety issue I'll bet he "practices what he preaches" as well . When he posted the video of what was going on at Markham field in Florida (AKA "Mayhem field") it surely did open my eyes to the fact that it's not just "rogue operators" endangering the public by flying FPV equipped turbine powered models over populated residential areas and highways , our own fellow AMA members were the guilty parties in the video , and this brought inquiries from AMA officials in that area . The man saw a safety deficiency , reported it , and corrective action was taken , how ever could such actions be seen as bad for the hobby ? Bad maybe for the people who would put the public at risk while they fly unsafely (likely with that vapid "Highway to the danger zone" song playing in their heads) whether they are AMA members or not .....

Last edited by init4fun; 12-09-2018 at 07:18 AM.
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 AM
  #71  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 815
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Since it's been brought up , I'll address the situation at RCG .

I too have a banned account at RCG , ..........................................[/QUOTE]

Shame on you!

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
When he posted the video of what was going on at Markham field in Florida (AKA "Mayhem field") it surely did open my eyes to the fact that it's not just "rogue operators" endangering the public by flying FPV equipped turbine powered models over populated residential areas and highways , our own fellow AMA members were the guilty parties in the video , and this brought inquiries from AMA officials in that area . The man saw a safety deficiency , reported it , and corrective action was taken , how ever could such actions be seen as bad for the hobby ? Bad maybe for the people who would put the public at risk while they fly unsafely (likely with that vapid "Highway to the danger zone" song playing in their heads) whether they are AMA members or not .....
I missed this one. I know of the Pennsylvania club but not this one. Looking at it they have a 750 ft paved runway. Pointing directly at 16 lanes (by my count) of highway traffic starting a mere 1,000 feet away. That's less than 1/4 mile. Most 40 sized trainers can be seen well enough to control at 1/4 mile. So how far out were they flying their jets and giants?

I know of a club in the greater DC area who used to be the cause of regular "airplane crash" reports from the local highways. Don't know if they've modified their flying, location or what. So maybe the reports continue.

I know of an incident where an AMA member decided to fly from a county park. Just shy of 4 miles from and lined up with a runway at Dulles International Airport. A DC-9 on final reported having to take evasive action to avoid a MODEL AIRPLANE. Lots of excitement that one!

Funny thing is, he was some 5 miles short of his clubs home field and had actually passed my clubs home field to get to this park.

It goes on everywhere.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM
  #72  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Interesting, I have no knowledge of the Speedracer account at RCG. My account The was what I would call my main account was EXF3BGUY. Out of frustration one day I had the account closed but then decided I still wanted to at least do some buying and selling on the site. I then did the EXF3BMAN account which was fine for around a year. Like I said I had over 1000 posts and a build thread. All was fine until I had a disagreement with a member that was giving away an airplane. When I contacted him about it he ended up wanting way above and beyond what shipping and crating materials would have been. I suggested he change his ad due to the fact that he was now looking for a profit and I thought advertising the airplane as free was a misrepresentation. Every once in a while he would post the exchange between us with his spin so I would make a post to st the story straight. After a couple times of this my RCG account was flagged as a troll account. I have sent two messages to Jim Graham through Facebook in order to get an explaination with no replies.


Appowner, all I can say about my level of sarcasm towards you is that I have simply been giving back what you have tossed my way. If you care to notice my conversations with Hydro and Init have been quite civil as of late. Bottom line here is don't expect respect if you are not willing to give it. I am not a lesser human being simply because I disagree with your opinion, if you wish to continue to address me as you have in the past I would prefer you to just put me on an ignore list and not reply to my posts at all. Notice how your new flying stabilizer tread has no replies? Maybe your demeanor towards other members has something to do with that? I know I have a good amount of experience with flying stabs with associated balance and linkage but will not chime in due to the lack of acceptance of experience on your part.
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM
  #73  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,964
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wow...

Holy cow! Iím out of the country for a month and Speedracertrixie (SRT) launches a bevy of personal attacks, to include totally unsupported allegations about my income sources.

So, SRT, time to show down. Prove that Iím paid by anyone other than my current employer and the DoD (pension). Oh, thatís right, you canít. In case you missed it, the ONLY money I have ever received from anyone other than the two above was from a HOBBY magazine.

As for motivations, I think the AMA is badly managed and their organizational strategy is failing. They seem unable to face that fact. My hope is that my financial and other posts will encourage a ground swell of members demanding change.

AMA says they want help, but what they donít say is they only want help if youíre going to support doing more of what already isnít working. Itís long past time, perhaps bordering on too late, for vertical cuts and a dramatic change to how they have always done things.

But hey SRT, if you donít believe me, maybe you should re-read the CFOs comments at July EC meeting.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 PM
  #74  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Read posts 48 and 50, I did not bring you into the conversation. If you read through the entire exchange you will see that I do not dispute the facts that you present. My issue is that you don't stop at the facts. Many times your comments include exaggerations. You openly state that you do not fly at an AMA site yet insist that you know what takes place at all AMA sites. You claim to know what is going on inside Muncie but have never been there. Lastly you claim to be here " for the good of the hobby " , like I have already asked twice and have received no answer. Maybe the third time will be a charm. Name one positive thing you have done for the hobby or a fellow hobbyist. IMO criticizing is not helping, if it truly is this important to you then get involved other then sitting in front of a keyboard, run for an AMA office. If it's important to you then make a REAL difference!
speedracerntrixie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:50 PM
  #75  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,964
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Read posts 48 and 50, I did not bring you into the conversation.
I didn’t say who brought me into a conversation, I said you had launched a personal attack, questioning motives, pay, etc. The comment was NOT about who brought up my name.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
If you read through the entire exchange you will see that I do not dispute the facts that you present. My issue is that you don't stop at the facts. Many times your comments include exaggerations.
I’m about precise wording. I have not exaggerated. Go read the EXACT words. I’ve made no claims that the personal observations I’ve made are typical, merely that they’ve happened and note them. If you’re reading more into the statement, that’s on you, not on me. Also, I never said a 40% plane, let alone that I waited for it. What I did say was that an aggressive sUAS operator flew a large aircraft directly at the flight line (I.e. people) and pulled up into a hover right in front of people. Same for your other comments about 200 mph airplane or airplanes over 55lbs. Never said “all” sites. Please get your facts straight and don’t embellish my comments

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
You openly state that you do not fly at an AMA site yet insist that you know what takes place at all AMA sites.
Again, I never claimed that what I have witnessed is happening at ‘all’ AMA sites. Go back and read the exact words. I commented about what I saw in person, read about in court documents, and have seen in a variety of internet posts. Never once said that these things happen at “ALL” AMA sites. Those are your words, not mine. Please don’t embellish my comments.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
You claim to know what is going on inside Muncie but have never been there.
One does not need to make a personal visit to be able to read an IRS990, and one does not need to go there to look at the financials over time. Also, one does not need to visit Muncie to read official statements by officers of the organization in magazines, online, or elsewhere. One can actually understand an organization very well, especially its priorities and strategy, by looking at where the expend their scarcest of resources — money. And being a 501(c)(3), the AMA tax filings are public. And lastly, one does not need to go to Muncie to see the impact of their decisions, or in most case, the lack of impact. So yes, one can understand an organization quite well w/o making a personal visit.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Lastly you claim to be here " for the good of the hobby " , like I have already asked twice and have received no answer. Maybe the third time will be a charm.
I’m here for the good of the hobby. I believe that by trying to get AMA to change strategy, they may be able to survive. And fortunately, nobody appointed you judge over what is and isn’t good for the hobby. If I think it’s for the good of the hobby, that’s as good as anything.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Name one positive thing you have done for the hobby or a fellow hobbyist.
Obtained written confirmation from the FAA that under 336, one does not need to give money to a private organization in order to fly legally as a “model aircraft.”

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
IMO criticizing is not helping, if it truly is this important to you then get involved other then sitting in front of a keyboard, run for an AMA office. If it's important to you then make a REAL difference.
First, addressing your earlier post, I never said the ED is paid too much. Read my exact words. What I said was that he’s paid a top x% salary (based on Muncie / IN), and asked if we’re getting top x% performance. I also pointed out in several places that problems I and others describe, like not getting EC notes posted in a timely manner, renewals getting screwed up, ads for events getting screwed up, and that awful website that’s still not fixed are all symptoms of an organization that doesn’t hold people accountable. And that ultimately, responsibility for that rests with the head of the staff, the ED. Now, as to whether they can afford me or not, they can’t. Second, I don’t want the job. I’m not leaving a house I love, private hunting land I own, a cabin I enjoy, and moving to the middle of friggin nowhere. And as for running for office? They pull only from leader members, and the EC decides who is and isn’t a leader member. Thus they control the entry to even be considered. Secondly, look at what happened for last EVP election, when one candidate had the audacity to suggest the strategy was wrong. The sitting president used the official publication to disparage the candidate’s position.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
The next rub is his motives. Why is he so aggressive towards the AMA? I know that Appowner has a negative experience behind his motives but what about Franklin? In one post he states that the EC in Muncie is grossly overpaid but then in another post states that the AMA could not afford to hire him. Clearly he has placed a high value on his time yet spends a great deal of it finding things to dwell on. Example, the EC minutes being late. What could Franklin possibly need that information for? I asked him once and his answer was simply " I'm a member and I am entitled to it."
The beauty of this country is that I don’t need to justify or explain my motives to you. EC minutes? Lest you forget, those are how members find out about how OUR money is being spent. Or are you saying the EC should act in secret and not tell members what they’re discussing and how they’re spending money? So yes, I’m entitled to them. And, also, the fact they can’t get them posted on time is an example of a larger problem ... paying people to do jobs that aren’t getting done.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Ask yourself what does Franklin have to gain from all this, clearly there has to be something in it for him, he clearly is not here for the benifit of the hobby. If anyone is able to explain to me how his actions will benifit the hobby I will be happy to listen.
To repeat, thankfully you are not empowered sole authority to decide what is and isn’t good for the hobby, let alone who is or isn’t doing things to help, or even that such a thing is required. Show me this magical rule book fo the universe that says someone can’t post here simply because they want to?

In reality, I think an AMA modeled on ARRL could be a benefit. But there is a substantial difference, something I’m trying to change. Namely, ARRL lobbies for ALL amateur radio operators and DOES NOT try to carve out special rules for its members not available to everyone else. That stands in stark contrast to AMA’s former position that one had to e a member of a CBO to operate a “model aircraft.”

So I’ve worked hard to change things to make the situation more like ARRL. I got the FAA to say you didn’t need to be a member. I worked with my Congressman to get the infamous “and” replaced with an “OR.” Now AMA may have to actually increase membership by creating perceived value sufficient to justify the expense. In other words, get people to join because the want to rather than because they’re forced to. That in turn produces a stronger organization I believe.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service