Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Interesting, I have no knowledge of the Speedracer account at RCG. My account The was what I would call my main account was EXF3BGUY. Out of frustration one day I had the account closed but then decided I still wanted to at least do some buying and selling on the site. I then did the EXF3BMAN account which was fine for around a year. Like I said I had over 1000 posts and a build thread. All was fine until I had a disagreement with a member that was giving away an airplane. When I contacted him about it he ended up wanting way above and beyond what shipping and crating materials would have been. I suggested he change his ad due to the fact that he was now looking for a profit and I thought advertising the airplane as free was a misrepresentation. Every once in a while he would post the exchange between us with his spin so I would make a post to st the story straight. After a couple times of this my RCG account was flagged as a troll account. I have sent two messages to Jim Graham through Facebook in order to get an explaination with no replies.

Appowner, all I can say about my level of sarcasm towards you is that I have simply been giving back what you have tossed my way. If you care to notice my conversations with Hydro and Init have been quite civil as of late. Bottom line here is don't expect respect if you are not willing to give it. I am not a lesser human being simply because I disagree with your opinion, if you wish to continue to address me as you have in the past I would prefer you to just put me on an ignore list and not reply to my posts at all. Notice how your new flying stabilizer tread has no replies? Maybe your demeanor towards other members has something to do with that? I know I have a good amount of experience with flying stabs with associated balance and linkage but will not chime in due to the lack of acceptance of experience on your part.
Wow! Right into "Innocent Victim" mode. I seem to recall you doing this before. Oh well!

Like I said, I no longer give a damn. I've already shown where the stats say 32.81% of your posts were in the forum of "Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy." With 8.66% in the topic "FAA says no AMA membership required." A simple search will reveal your run ins with quite a number of people over there. And as for answering my question? Big deal! I have the real answer I was after.

By his posts here he would have us believe he was labeled a troll at RCG over his build thread. He would have us also believe he had problems with only one person over there. He would also have us believe he has the answer to a question I posted, but he's not going to provide it to punish me. Wow! How will I ever survive?

Don't answer that Speedy!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Gee, this thread must be slowing down. Almost 8.5 hours and no one has taken a shot at anyone else. I hope that doesn't mean we're in for a big BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! later
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

LOL Dave, it just means I’m busy at work. Getting a bit tired of the back and forth actually. Not what we should be doing let alone this time of year.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gee, has this thread finally died or what? Over 30 hours and nothing as I not counting Speed's "I'm at work" post.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

I’ll post a picture of my 2019 AMA card after its delivered and I have it laminated. That should be good for a couple pages.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I’ll post a picture of my 2019 AMA card after its delivered and I have it laminated. That should be good for a couple pages.
I've had my 2019 card for a month now , skipped the laminating and straight to the wallet it went .

(Name redacted to thwart identity thieves , AMA number left viewable to prove it's actually my card)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:28 PM
speedracerntrixie

Short name, mine barely fits on the card LOL.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Short name, mine barely fits on the card LOL.
When I use my middle initial (Which I never do) my full name is exactly 10 letters , it makes filling out paperwork a breeze
Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I`ve got a few more days until the club Christmas party at the high school gym. Last minute renewal so I can fly my little umx foam cub in the gym.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:04 PM
speedracerntrixie

I miss indoor flying, we lost our indoor site 6 months ago. I keep looking at my indoor airplane and if it wasn't the fact that it used to belong to a fallen friend I would think about letting it go. I tell myself to be patient, we will get a new site soon.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by init4fun
When I use my middle initial (Which I never do) my full name is exactly 10 letters , it makes filling out paperwork a breeze
If you like 10 letters, you'd love mine. My name, with middle initial is only 8 letters. When I sign off paperwork at work, I can get away with only 4 and still be legal
Old 12-11-2018, 07:12 PM
speedracerntrixie

Slackers LOL, 16 letters if my middle initial is used. Luckily most documents ar work only require my stamp and a date.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Yes he does bring some correct facts with him. Mainly that AMA membership is down, AMA revenue is down, Hansen has said some stupid things, AMA Muncie could be run more effectively. All those things I agree with.
I'm glad you can agree to the facts!
Bottom line is that if Franklin would just drop his BS embellishment act I would probably listen more to the facts.
facts are facts, they should never be ignored just because one does not like the flavor...Hate the game, not the player.
The next rub is his motives.
see above comments. Facts are facts regardless of the motive...….
If anyone is able to explain to me how his actions will benifit the hobby I will be happy to listen.
I do not know of any other way to find proper solutions to problems than to start with the facts???? He is simply looking for the facts in order to have a basis for determining viable solutions.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM
speedracerntrixie

I have yet to see him publish an actual solution. What do you think endless negative posts on RCU and RCG are going to accomplish? He has been told to bring his concerns directly to his ADVP and he refuses, he has been told to seek a position within the AMA, he refuses. I suppose it much more suiting to him to remain a keyboard warrior just as it is easy for others to be his minions.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

I don't see anyone being Franklin's "minion". I see people that agree with him and not with you. Do I like everything I see Franklin post? In a word, no. Unlike you, however, he bases his opinions and what he posts on what he finds through credible sources, not from hearsay, innuendo and parroting the AMA's official storyline like you do. I'm sure others will agree with my synopsis of what I see happening in the various threads
Old 12-16-2018, 04:01 PM
speedracerntrixie

So what credible source did this come from?

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 12-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

You tell me. I know he was a naval aviator, nothing secret about that. I also know how safety conscious those involved in naval aviation are, being involved myself. That said, what do you have, other than working on rockets, for an aviation background?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-16-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

I selected the wrong screen capture on that post. Working with a IPhone. I’m not trying to discredit Franklin, just hold him to the same standards he holds Pro AMA people to. Seems the forum is heavily bias and you, Appowner and Franklin like to answer questions asked of the other guy. Appowner really likes to issue out insults and accusations, if I were to behave the same way I would be getting it from all directions. Not that I really care as like I have said before, you are but a few guys. Now back to Franklins facts. Perhaps he can show evidence of where he gained the knowledge of what sponsored pilot gets a box full of 100.00 servos. Specifically the name of the pilot and the manufacturer of the servos.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:21 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

I have yet to see him publish an actual solution.
This is usually how one responds when they do like the facts that are presented. It is called moving the goalpost and only serves to deflect from the facts.

What do you think endless negative posts on RCU and RCG are going to accomplish?
You keep labeling his posts as, "negative". Franklin's posts are always supported by facts. Facts are neither positive or negative, they are FACTS. You choose to call them "negative" because the facts seem to be confirming that our AMA leaders are failing to effectively run our organization.

he has been told to seek a position within the AMA, he refuses.
I've been told to jump off a bridge before, but so far I have refused to actually do so.... Not sure what you believe, but I believe that one ought to be able to have a voice without having to run for office.

others to be his minions.
nice shot! For the sake of effective discussion and debate, I prefer to try and stick to the facts, rather than name-calling.

Let's try and keep it positive!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
You tell me. I know he was a naval aviator, nothing secret about that. I also know how safety conscious those involved in naval aviation are, being involved myself. That said, what do you have, other than working on rockets, for an aviation background?
Not much I can say here Dave except that I have been building defense equipment for 20 years working for Lockheed Martin, L3 and Aerojet Rocketdyne. I’m certain that Franklin is somewhat familiar with the E2C aircraft and its Rotodome.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm sure everyone that's worked on a flight or hanger deck is familiar with the Hawkeye. Not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand but, then again, I'm also very well familiar with the E-2C, ended up under a spinning prop while keeping someone else from walking into it. While it's a dangerous plane to be around when the engines are running, the only plane I ever saw kill someone while on the USS Kitty Hawk was the LOCKHEAD S-3A Viking, when it sucked a rookie "jet mech" into it's right engine, turning him into hamburger from the waist up. That resulted in one court martial and several captain's masts as well as a revised set of requirements to be met when doing a high power deck run. I guess the Viking deserved its nickname, the "Hoover"
Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to see him publish an actual solution.
Really? You must have a short memory. Here’s just one, and isn’t it interesting that it’s in a forum where you also participated:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Then you start making VERTICAL cuts. Stop performing functions entirely. And then either put those folks in the place of others not doing their jobs or cut them loose and harvest the saving to hire people who can do the job. Really basic management. But it all starts with a willingness to hold people accountable. And therein lies the real root cause
What do you think endless negative posts on RCU and RCG are going to accomplish?
Open some eyes as to the AMA financial trends in key areas, such as a decade of declining membership revenue … while staff costs have been constant. And yet the EC simply advocates doing more of the same. My hope is that some will push EC to change strategy.

He has been told to bring his concerns directly to his ADVP and he refuses…
Yet another unsubstantiated allegation. I’ve gone to my rep multiple times, without result. And yes, I have an entire file full of emails

[H]e has been told to seek a position within the AMA, he refuses.
As I’ve said more than once, I’m not willing to take the pay cut. I’m not willing to move away from a cabin on private hunting land that’s been in the family since the 1800’s. I’m not willing to pull my kids from school. I’m not willing to leave a house I love. I don’t want to move away from my Dad and my Uncle who live nearby. And I don’t want to move to the middle of friggin nowhere (Taj-Muncie).
Old 12-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I'm sure everyone that's worked on a flight or hanger deck is familiar with the Hawkeye. Not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand but, then again, I'm also very well familiar with the E-2C, ended up under a spinning prop while keeping someone else from walking into it. While it's a dangerous plane to be around when the engines are running, the only plane I ever saw kill someone while on the USS Kitty Hawk was the LOCKHEAD S-3A Viking, when it sucked a rookie "jet mech" into it's right engine, turning him into hamburger from the waist up. That resulted in one court martial and several captain's masts as well as a revised set of requirements to be met when doing a high power deck run. I guess the Viking deserved its nickname, the "Hoover"
Got a COD ride to the JFK once for the 3 hour tour. Just amazes me the dance that goes on that flight deck. Without a doubt the most dangerous place to work in the world. The camera does not do it justice. My hat's off to anyone who did a tour out there.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:51 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Appowner
Got a COD ride to the JFK once for the 3 hour tour. Just amazes me the dance that goes on that flight deck. Without a doubt the most dangerous place to work in the world. The camera does not do it justice. My hat's off to anyone who did a tour out there.
Carrier based Naval Aviation is often cited as an example of a High Reliability Organization (HRO), along with nuclear power, and US Navy submarine operations. In my consulting work, my clients have asked me to help them build their organization to incorporate best practices. It's a combination of overarching policy, operator focused procedures, training, drills, day to day operations, debrief, and continuos improvement. I've offered to help AMA develop fit for purpose aspects of these same best practices, pro bono, but they refused.

Now that the future of model aviation safety and operations may look a lot more like manned aircraft safety and operations, you'd think the'd be more interested.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Carrier based Naval Aviation is often cited as an example of a High Reliability Organization (HRO), along with nuclear power, and US Navy submarine operations. In my consulting work, my clients have asked me to help them build their organization to incorporate best practices. It's a combination of overarching policy, operator focused procedures, training, drills, day to day operations, debrief, and continuos improvement. I've offered to help AMA develop fit for purpose aspects of these same best practices, pro bono, but they refused.

Now that the future of model aviation safety and operations may look a lot more like manned aircraft safety and operations, you'd think the'd be more interested.
I think, even though they'll argue it and express their opinions, the reality of it has yet to really sink in with most modelers. Someone mentions safety and they all shout out the safety record of the hobby. Never addressing the facts that: 1. Contrary to what many claim, people have been killed in this hobby. and 2. The vast majority of this safety record was before Multi Rotors, Jet engines and a lot of giants or 1/4-1/2 scale.

Been following a jet build on another forum. F-104 at 1/4 scale (I think). Anyway the fuselage is over 4 meters (163 inches) long and the wing just under 2 meters. All wood using laser cut ply bulkheads and balsa planking and glass. 50 plus pound thrust engine. In another build thread the OP bought a $6500 box of components (I refuse to call it a kit) and a $2500 engine. And since his current radio didn't have enough channels, he got a new $1500 radio. This doesn't even address the servos, engine support, special ducting, fuel tanks and the electrical layout. Couple of more grand?

Now I fully agree this activity can be done safely. But how do we know who is and isn't safe? Because the AMA blessed them? And as is obvious above, money is little or no object for many of these people. And many have more money than brains. A 163 inch lawn dart made from wood and fiberglass just doesn't quite pass the smell test for me. Maybe it's all good? Some of the 104 kits are flying. But.........???

I'm embarking on my biggest build yet. I've had questions I've posted. And I've received answers that basically said "you do this, this and that." OK fine but, who the heck are you? How do I know what you're suggesting is really safe and proper?

Point is some of our models are approaching the same aerodynamic forces and needs as any GA aircraft. HOW do we know out balsa, lite ply and bits of carbon and glass are up to the job? Who engineered it and what are their credentials?

Yet more of these things are now flying than ever before. And they're bigger and faster than ever before. And it doesn't take a genius to tell you, the more of these things you put up, the greater chance of something bad happening. And what are we, the hobbyist doing to protect the general public?