Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

Reply

Old 09-15-2018, 06:17 AM
  #1  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Things that would be interesting to know - "Taj-Muncie" usage

As AMA grapples with spending vs. income, every organization does, it would be useful to take a hard look at some of the "sacred cows" that consume our membership dollars. Given that members' money is being used to fund the "Taj-Muncie" metroplex, I think it would be very interesting to know what the usage profile looks like. To allow members who help pay for it to know if it's actually a "benefit," I think it would be good to know:

- Total visits by AMA member per year for last ten years

- Total UNIQUE AMA numbers that visited by year for last ten years. Data above gives total usage, but would bias toward those folks who live close and get to use it a lot. This representation gets at whether it's a few people (i.e. folks who live close) that use it a lot, or a lot of folks that use it once or twice. For example, if 3 unique AMA numbers visited 9 times, the "9" bar on the x-asis would be "3." Similarly, say 8 people used it 10 times or more, then the "10" bar would be 8 units high.

- Histogram showing number of unique AMA numbers on Y-axis vs. # of visits by those numbers across X-axis. Categorize data by 10+ visits, 9 visits, 8 visits, etc. Gives profile that will show, I suspect, that there's a handful of folks (presumably folks living rather close - like staff) who use it a lot.

- Total NON-AMA visitors to the site, by year for last ten years, that PAID to use the facility.

- Total cash in vs. total cash out by year for ten years (all in numbers, paid events, rentals, farm income, etc.). Categorized by AMA direct use and all other uses.


Why? Well, I don't live that far away really, about 7 hour drive each way. But if you add up fuel costs, meals on the road, hotels, etc., it's the better part of $500 and 4 days on the calendar to attend a 2 day event. The overwhelming majority of AMA members do not live close at all. Heavily biased toward large population centers, and California and Florida. What is the "benefit" to these folks? Who see their hard earned membership dollars supporting a super-duper flying site for people who either work at AMA HQ or live a relatively much shorter distance.

Last edited by franklin_m; 09-15-2018 at 06:39 AM.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:56 AM
  #2  
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)
 
049flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,049
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Taj Muncie is the sacred cow, a monument to days gone by. The time will come when it is foolish to continue funding this outlandish benefit for the few that compete and the fewer still that live in the area. Unfortunately, I believe the AMA would rather go bankrupt than give up the “Palace”.

The AMA rose from humble beginnings, without the museum, without the national flying site, without the magazine, and without an expensive staff. Perhaps it’s time for a smaller AMA, one that better matches a declining membership and declining income.

Last edited by 049flyer; 09-15-2018 at 11:59 AM.
049flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
  #3  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Taj Muncie is the sacred cow, a monument to days gone by. The time will come when it is foolish to continue funding this outlandish benefit for the few that compete and the fewer still that live in the area. Unfortunately, I believe the AMA would rather go bankrupt than give up the “Palace”.
If you're a member, log on the website and read the July EC minutes. Section 5 in particular.

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
The AMA rose from humble beginnings, without the museum, without the national flying site, without the magazine, and without an expensive staff. Perhaps it’s time for a smaller AMA, one that better matches a declining membership and declining income.
Might be time to start taking a hard look at "sacred cows."
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
  #4  
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)
 
049flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,049
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Franklin:

I would read them if I could find them. Spent about 20 minutes searching around the new website without luck. I found the last EC agenda and Motions but no minutes. Got a link?
049flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:56 PM
  #5  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Franklin:

I would read them if I could find them. Spent about 20 minutes searching around the new website without luck. I found the last EC agenda and Motions but no minutes. Got a link?
1. Log in
2. Select "About AMA" ... big blue selection area opens ... select "Executive Council"
3. Click on "Executive Council Meetings"
4. Click on table entry for July minutes

This link takes me right to it and the link works. But I'm logged in. If it doesn't work for you, then login first and then try clicking the link again.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/execut...018-ec-minutes
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM
  #6  
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)
 
049flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,049
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Franklin:

I’m using my Ipad, I think the website displays differently depending on the device used. I followed your directions, didn’t see the blue section with ”EC Minutes”. Good news is your link worked. Thanks.

Nothing earth shattering there. Some discussion of financial storm clouds but no real movement from the council.


Last edited by 049flyer; 09-15-2018 at 01:18 PM.
049flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:48 PM
  #7  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Franklin:

I’m using my Ipad, I think the website displays differently depending on the device used. I followed your directions, didn’t see the blue section with ”EC Minutes”. Good news is your link worked. Thanks.

Nothing earth shattering there. Some discussion of financial storm clouds but no real movement from the council.
What struck me was the warnings, more blunt than I've seen in a very long time. Then immediately someone asks for money. Out of touch.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:01 AM
  #8  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 160
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Well, not being a member I am not privy to such documents. Big Whoop! If it's important it will be slipped to the public eventually.

Something I would be curious to see with regards to Muncie would be an accurate map showing member distribution throughout the country. I know on the old web site there was an interactive map of the clubs but I would like to see the actual membership distribution.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 AM
  #9  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Well, not being a member I am not privy to such documents. Big Whoop! If it's important it will be slipped to the public eventually.
Something I would be curious to see with regards to Muncie would be an accurate map showing member distribution throughout the country. I know on the old web site there was an interactive map of the clubs but I would like to see the actual membership distribution.
I think that would be interesting too. They'll never show it, because it'll reveal that "Taj-Muncie" is far from most members.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:52 AM
  #10  
fliers1
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lockport, NY
Posts: 996
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

They have spent big bucks on everything they could think of but the problem in a nutshell is there is really nothing AMA can do to bring in the numbers of members which is needed. They have left that to the clubs.
Unless someone has any ideas on how to attract and retain new members, logically we are all SOL.
fliers1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:08 AM
  #11  
franklin_m
Thread Starter
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 2,795
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
They have spent big bucks on everything they could think of but the problem in a nutshell is there is really nothing AMA can do to bring in the numbers of members which is needed. They have left that to the clubs.
Unless someone has any ideas on how to attract and retain new members, logically we are all SOL.
I maintain that it's not advocacy, not a magazine, not "Taj-Muncie," not a museum, not a foundation, not a fancy HQ building, not affinity programs, and not a glitzy website that attract and keep members, but the quality of the local flying site as compared to the distance someone has to travel to get there and the cost to join. It's about creating REAL value as perceived by the person you want to join. They see value, they'll joing. Don't see value, they won't. And based on AMA's membership revenue numbers, fewer and fewer people are seeing value.

So I guess, it's about creating value. I don't think AMA is capable of doing it, as they're unwilling to even contemplate that some of the sacred cows listed above (all of them actually) are not perceived as "benefits" by the general population. The EC sees them that way, because they eat live and breathe model planes. But for the vast majority of other folks in the world, it's just one of many hobbies / demands on our free time. And they can take it or leave it.

Simple personal example. I had a big chunk of money burning a hole in my pocket. Briefly contemplated getting into turbines. Doing so would have guaranteed my continued AMA and club membership well into the future. But then I looked at suitable fields and their proximity. I'm sorry, I'm not spending an hour or two on the road each direction to find a paved runway. I've got other interest and demands on my free time. So I bought something else that actually cost more ... but I can use it somewhere very close. And somewhere I go quite often for other reasons.

Last edited by franklin_m; 09-16-2018 at 05:11 AM.
franklin_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:06 AM
  #12  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 160
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
I maintain that it's not advocacy, not a magazine, not "Taj-Muncie," not a museum, not a foundation, not a fancy HQ building, not affinity programs, and not a glitzy website that attract and keep members, but the quality of the local flying site as compared to the distance someone has to travel to get there and the cost to join. It's about creating REAL value as perceived by the person you want to join. They see value, they'll joing. Don't see value, they won't. And based on AMA's membership revenue numbers, fewer and fewer people are seeing value.

So I guess, it's about creating value. I don't think AMA is capable of doing it, as they're unwilling to even contemplate that some of the sacred cows listed above (all of them actually) are not perceived as "benefits" by the general population. The EC sees them that way, because they eat live and breathe model planes. But for the vast majority of other folks in the world, it's just one of many hobbies / demands on our free time. And they can take it or leave it.

Simple personal example. I had a big chunk of money burning a hole in my pocket. Briefly contemplated getting into turbines. Doing so would have guaranteed my continued AMA and club membership well into the future. But then I looked at suitable fields and their proximity. I'm sorry, I'm not spending an hour or two on the road each direction to find a paved runway. I've got other interest and demands on my free time. So I bought something else that actually cost more ... but I can use it somewhere very close. And somewhere I go quite often for other reasons.
Yep! All about the value to the customer! Or another way to say it, "Customer Service!"
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM
  #13  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 160
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
They have spent big bucks on everything they could think of but the problem in a nutshell is there is really nothing AMA can do to bring in the numbers of members which is needed. They have left that to the clubs.
Unless someone has any ideas on how to attract and retain new members, logically we are all SOL.
I agree they have basically left the task of new members to the clubs. But I disagree that the AMA itself can do nothing to bring in new members.

I do believe they don't want to be involved in that aspect. Too much work!
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service