Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Poop has hit the fan !

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Poop has hit the fan !

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I need to know the activities of over 2,000 clubs now? That being said I have seen a few club members memberships revoked and them being banned from joining again.I myself have had one club threaten to revoke my membership when I lost composure and threatened another member.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I need to know the activities of over 2,000 clubs now? That being said I have seen a few club members memberships revoked and them being banned from joining again.I myself have had one club threaten to revoke my membership when I lost composure and threatened another member.
But it seems you have not heard of AMA memberships being revoked.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM
speedracerntrixie

No I have not. Does that really mean that it hasn’t happened? I think we have also determined it is not the guys in the AMA clubs that has gained the attention of the FAA.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:41 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

actually, i do not recall anyone ever asking any of the bad actors if they were AMA members, so...
Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fact that it has never happened means absolutely nothing,....nothing what so ever,..... the fact that the rule exists and it could happen,..... means everything. revocation of a club membership doesn't necessarily have anything to do with an infraction of any AMA rule.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:42 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by mongo
actually, i do not recall anyone ever asking any of the bad actors if they were AMA members, so...

Odds are in favor of not. I would tend to think that an AMA member is not going to park a quad over an airport approach or fly a quad into a child’s face at a soccer game. IMO those guys lack knowledge that 99% of AMA members are going to have.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:31 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i guess you have never see AMA guys flying where they think no other AMA folk are around.
i have.
many times.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

I have and you do have somewhat of a point but still a far cry from flying a quad into an infants face and then leaving the scene without giving the mother your contact info.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually there was an AMA club in Pennsylvania that was taken to court over their reckless flying. I don't have the details, Franklin does. But I believe they were forced to either relocate or they were disbanded.

Sad thing is, Muncie was made aware of their activities and apparently did nothing.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:28 PM
ira d

I have and you do have somewhat of a point but still a far cry from flying a quad into an infant's face and then leaving the scene without giving the mother your contact info.
And how do know that was not a AMA member? Bottom line is all it takes to fly RC safely is to have a some common sense and people besides AMA members know how to fly RC safely also.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:33 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by Appowner
Actually there was an AMA club in Pennsylvania that was taken to court over their reckless flying. I don't have the details, Franklin does. But I believe they were forced to either relocate or they were disbanded.

Sad thing is, Muncie was made aware of their activities and apparently did nothing.
The kind of odd thing is the AMA wants to be RC police and make everyone become their member but yet have not shown any inclination to enforce things at their currently chartered clubs but wants to leave
everything up to the local clubs.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner

So one club out of 2,000+ and all AMA clubs are gross offenders of the rules? How is it that Franklin knows no action was attempted by the AMA.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by ira d
And how do know that was not a AMA member? Bottom line is all it takes to fly RC safely is to have a some common sense and people besides AMA members know how to fly RC safely also.

you are correct that I am unable to say that he wasn't however there is a much larger probability that he wasn't then the probability that he was. That's why earlier in the thread I had asked everyone to keep things in perspective. You and I both know that the odds greatly favor him not being a member yet you throw that comment out there just to perpetuate an argument.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

The kind of odd thing is the AMA wants to be RC police and make everyone become their member but yet have not shown any inclination to enforce things at their currently chartered clubs but wants to leave
everything up to the local clubs.

please show me anything at all from the AMA that states they want to enforce any FAA laws. Like I said before, the clubs enforce the rules. All cubs adopt the AMA safety guidelines and then add their own bylaws which in some cases can be unique to that site. As such it is the correct procedure to have the clubs elected officers enforce the clubs rules.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMA clubs have board of directors that do include safety officers. Infractions are discussed and the board my vote on appropriate actions. If serious enough the club can inform AMA and that persons AMA can be revoked. Yes there are offenders that get away with things but keep it in perspective, not all speeders on the freeway get popped. There have always been groups that have a higher set of rights then others. I will stick to my fishing example. Without a license it is illegal to fish and then only the fish you are licensed for and when and where you are told you can fish. I really see no difference here.
Your fishing example is not 100% true. Fishing license are not required on privet land. Those of you who live in cities live in a dream world. There is a lot of life going on outside your city limits.
By the way most of your statements have not been 100% true.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 PM
ira d

you are correct that I am unable to say that he wasn't however there is a much larger probability that he wasn't then the probability that he was. That's why earlier in the thread I had asked everyone to keep things in perspective. You and I both know that the odds greatly favor him not being a member yet you throw that comment out there just to perpetuate an argument.
I don't see anything to argue about, I made the comment and that's it.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:39 PM
ira d

please show me anything at all from the AMA that states they want to enforce any FAA laws. Like I said before, the clubs enforce the rules. All cubs adopt the AMA safety guidelines and then add their own bylaws which in some cases can be unique to that site. As such it is the correct procedure to have the clubs elected officers enforce the clubs rules.
I never said the AMA wants to enforce FAA laws but what they do want is for their members to be exempt from FAA laws.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:30 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by warningshot
Your fishing example is not 100% true. Fishing license are not required on privet land. Those of you who live in cities live in a dream world. There is a lot of life going on outside your city limits.
By the way most of your statements have not been 100% true.

Care to elaborate on what I have said that isn't 100% true? Private lands would be a whole different topic. I can see where if you own your land that has a stream you as the property owner can fish or have guests fish without a license but an uninvited guest would be a trespasser. I don't really see where this fits the topic however as it is not the norm for somone to have their own land to fly off of.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 AM
speedracerntrixie

I never said the AMA wants to enforce FAA laws but what they do want is for their members to be exempt from FAA laws.

Just the 400' altitude limit as far as I can tell. You do realize just what that limit will do to the hobby overall right? There will be a good number of guys who will just outright quit the hobby. Some will simply scale back their activities. The ruduced sales will drive the cost of available product up. Some manufacturers won't survive, we will have even less products to choose from.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 AM
ira d

Just the 400' altitude limit as far as I can tell. You do realize just what that limit will do to the hobby overall right? There will be a good number of guys who will just outright quit the hobby. Some will simply scale back their activities. The reduced sales will drive the cost of available product up. Some manufacturers won't survive, we will have even less products to choose from.
If The AMA had got their way with the original 336 rule it would have been more than just the 400'. The fact is the AMA is out for mandated membership and they should not have rights that all RC flyers dont have.
Yes I know the 400' ft limit is not good and there is no real reason for it and I think if the AMA had handled things correctly a few years ago instead of trying to get mandated membership I don't think
we would be having to deal with this new bill that just passed.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:33 AM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Care to elaborate on what I have said that isn't 100% true? Private lands would be a whole different topic. I can see where if you own your land that has a stream you as the property owner can fish or have guests fish without a license but an uninvited guest would be a trespasser. I don't really see where this fits the topic however as it is not the norm for somone to have their own land to fly off of.
I think you just answered your own question.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Odds are in favor of not. I would tend to think that an AMA member is not going to park a quad over an airport approach or fly a quad into a child’s face at a soccer game. IMO those guys lack knowledge that 99% of AMA members are going to have.
Actually those guys lack common sense and imho have a general lack of concern for anyone other than themselves and their own personal pleasures. It is this modern day sense of entitlement to be able to do whatever *I* want without regard as to how it may affect others that is the problem much of the time. I don't think it is a lack of knowledge so much. How would anyone with half a brain think it would be a good idea to fly an RC craft near full size aircraft taking off or landing? It's not lack of knowledge but rather lack of intelligence and a lack of consideration for anyone but themselves.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hunting and fishing license, do you go to a government office to obtain one? Is there any test required? Maybe for hunting. No you go to a STORE who sells you the license and makes a profit .
But you are forgetting one thing:
The store that sells you that license is contracted by the appropriate state or federal agency to sell that license ON THEIR BEHALF AND FOLLOWING THEIR RULES, not as a product they can sell without rules and to anyone.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Hydro Junkie

Agreed, but they have much much larger participation. Like I have been saying all along strength in numbers. If AMA had 2 million members as opposed to 180K I would bet they dues would be lower and they would have a bigger voice on the hill. Some people are very aware of this scenario and that is why their goal is to discourage AMA membership both here and on RCG.
And why do you think dues would drop? The AMA home office and officers have already proven they are not financially responsible. An officer telling everyone that a meeting can't be held at a location where almost all of them are located because they aren't at the home office or trying to get an indoor flying facility built that would need to be heated and powered 100% of the time while sitting empty at least 98% of the time are far from financially responsible. A home office that has to have a retail division and a museum with a staff isn't financially responsible. The AMA is the only HOBBY ORGANIZATION I know of THAT HAS A LARGE PAID STAFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the financial responsibility in that? I'm sorry but I just can't believe the dues would drop if the AMA had more members since the larger checkbook would most likely lead to more extravagant spending,
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

AMA clubs have board of directors that do include safety officers. Infractions are discussed and the board my vote on appropriate actions. If serious enough the club can inform AMA and that persons AMA can be revoked. Yes there are offenders that get away with things but keep it in perspective, not all speeders on the freeway get popped. There have always been groups that have a higher set of rights then others. I will stick to my fishing example. Without a license it is illegal to fish and then only the fish you are licensed for and when and where you are told you can fish. I really see no difference here.
YOU DON'T? I SURE THE HELL DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where do I start:
1) If you get caught fishing/hunting without a license, you are poaching. This is punishable by a fine and/or jail time
2) If you get caught fishing/hunting someplace that is protected/restricted, you are again poaching.
3) If you get caught with protected species due to fishing/hunting, otherwise legally, you are once again poaching
4) THE STATES AND FEDRAL GOVERNMENT CAN ENFORCE AND PROSECUTE VIOLATIONS OF THE LAWS AS REQUIRED, THE AMA DOESN'T HAVE AN ENFORCEMENT DIVISION OR THE AUTHORITY TO PROSECUTE ANYONE
5) If you lose your AMA membership, there are no repercussions of any consequence other than the possible loss of use of a flying site. If someone really wants to fly in the manner that cost them their membership that bad, they will go someplace and fly anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.