Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Poop has hit the fan !

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Poop has hit the fan !

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goverment, mind your oun Business

I think it’s about time we all READ our Constitution and demand our Government to abide by it! AMA, yes, Government, no. Government, mind your our business and stay out of our hobby. I will never register or pay anything to my government to fly my planes! I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Skyhawk
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940
I think it’s about time we all READ our Constitution and demand our Government to abide by it! AMA, yes, Government, no. Government, mind your our business and stay out of our hobby. I will never register or pay anything to my government to fly my planes! I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Skyhawk
And just what part of the Constitution is being violated by the registration of drones?

Maybe a little help for ya! Constitution 101

BTW, the courses are free and on line. Do them at your own pace. Beats wasting time in RC Forums.

Last edited by Appowner; 10-12-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:20 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
And just what part of the Constitution is being violated by the registration of drones?
None that I know of .
However , one small clarification is in order here with your post ;

Not a single hobby drone has been registered thus far . The FAA is registering hobby based drone pilots and not the drones themselves . The FAA has our names and addresses , and have no database covering which particular drone(s) we are flying . My drones are pretty much exclusively models of WW1 and WW2 era airplanes , your drones may well be FPV multirotor types , or RC Zeppelins , and to the FAA we're both drone pilots with no distinction being made as to the exact drone each of us happen to be piloting .

It's my belief that when folks go citing the Constitution in their complaints of government overreach , it's the maintaining of a database that causes them the most consternation . When one stops to realize that the database was began with the very first Social Security number issued and has grown exponentially in the modern electronic age , the precedent is well established of the feds keeping lists of citizens . Now , citing the possible nefarious use of our leisure time toys , the fed's view is that the perfect excuse to maintain a database of us has been established , even though the bad guys won't be the ones with their names registered with the FAA . Honestly I don't worry too much about government lists , having worked for the government at one point in my life they already have all the info on me they'd ever need
Old 10-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun

Not a single hobby drone has been registered thus far . The FAA is registering hobby based drone pilots and not the drones themselves . .........................................
Yea, I know. And I've jumped others for the same thing.

Freudian slip. Blame it on being tired and pretty much fed up with the on-line world.

I'm off to sniff some model airplane wood glue!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know who has seen the news, but Trump did sign the FAA reauthorization bill.

That said, I highly doubt we have anything to worry about. The FAA has never cared about our hobby, and I think they still don't. The new regulations give the police a specific law to cite when a drone or plane pilot decides to go do something stupid. We should support that. But as long as we aren't bothering anybody, they have more important things to do.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:07 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I don't know who has seen the news, but Trump did sign the FAA reauthorization bill.

That said, I highly doubt we have anything to worry about. The FAA has never cared about our hobby, and I think they still don't. The new regulations give the police a specific law to cite when a drone or plane pilot decides to go do something stupid. We should support that. But as long as we aren't bothering anybody, they have more important things to do.
Yep , back on 10/6/18 my quoted post below made mention of the Bill being signed by the President . And I agree with you on the fact that if your not making a menace of yourself you'll likely never encounter FAA intervention .

........... I got an AMA Email yesterday that the President did in fact sign HR 302 into law .......
Old 10-13-2018, 08:49 AM
init4fun

Yea, I know. And I've jumped others for the same thing.

Freudian slip. Blame it on being tired and pretty much fed up with the on-line world.

I'm off to sniff some model airplane wood glue!
Hey no problem , I know your always right on with your facts . I wanted the correction not as a means of scolding you , but instead to have it right for future readers of our thread who may not know which was which .
Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None that I know of .

Not a single hobby drone has been registered thus far . The FAA is registering hobby based drone pilots and not the drones themselves . The FAA has our names and addresses , and have no database covering which particular drone(s) we are flying . My drones are pretty much exclusively models of WW1 and WW2 era airplanes , your drones may well be FPV multirotor types , or RC Zeppelins , and to the FAA we're both drone pilots with no distinction being made as to the exact drone each of us happen to be piloting .

It's my belief that when folks go citing the Constitution in their complaints of government overreach , it's the maintaining of a database that causes them the most consternation . When one stops to realize that the database was began with the very first Social Security number issued and has grown exponentially in the modern electronic age , the precedent is well established of the feds keeping lists of citizens . Now , citing the possible nefarious use of our leisure time toys , the fed's view is that the perfect excuse to maintain a database of us has been established , even though the bad guys won't be the ones with their names registered with the FAA . Honestly I don't worry too much about government lists , having worked for the government at one point in my life they already have all the info on me they'd ever need
This is what the deal was when I registered three years ago. The person was registered not any particular rc model you have. However, I went to the FAA site to see about what it will take to renew my FAA card. I didn't see anything about renewal but clicked on the link for registration. It asked for the manufacturer, the model and the serial number of the drone you have. This confuses me. Are those who only fly traditional models planes and helis not required to register? This puts a real strain on my brain. It was for hobbyist by the way. The professional registration was a different link.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:21 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by fourstar40
This is what the deal was when I registered three years ago. The person was registered not any particular rc model you have. However, I went to the FAA site to see about what it will take to renew my FAA card. I didn't see anything about renewal but clicked on the link for registration. It asked for the manufacturer, the model and the serial number of the drone you have. This confuses me. Are those who only fly traditional models planes and helis not required to register? This puts a real strain on my brain. It was for hobbyist by the way. The professional registration was a different link.
Hi fourstar40 ,

I read your post and decided I'd try to renew mine . The FAA site has several places where it's easy to make a wrong choice but with careful navigation I was able to renew my FAA number with no information about specific RC flying devices required . The only surprise to me is that my renewal is only good till December 2020 , I guess we've gone from 3 years to two on the viability of each renewal .
Old 10-13-2018, 04:35 PM
init4fun

With my name and FAA number blanked out to keep the hackers guessing , here is what you should see upon successful renewal of your FAA SUAS registration ...
Old 10-13-2018, 04:47 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back and realized that you have to login under last years login info. I was surprised that it does not charge for renewal. I'm good to go for 2 more years.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Appowner
Banned

with my name and faa number blanked out to keep the hackers guessing , here is what you should see upon successful renewal of your faa suas registration ...
br549 ?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Appowner
Banned

Not to change the subject but..............

Hey! Admin! What the Heck? My post above I started with two upper case letters. And when saved your system changed them to lower case. Tried to edit with the same results. What gives with this system?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't help but be a bit amused when people go off worrying about databases. Your credit report has tons of information about you, including your current and previous addresses. Your voter registration makes it easy to find you. Your tax returns contain detailed information about your finances addresses, and employment. Your driver's license or ID card tells them where to find you. If you own a house, that's a matter of public record. If you've ever been in trouble with the law, that is too. I could list a dozen other ways the government already has information on you, but the point is made- if they are after you they can find you. So our little FAA registration is of no consequence. It's there for those rare times when someone gets stupid with a model plane so the police can find them, not unlike the license plate you have to buy for your car, which the government has a database for as well.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:29 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Jester, it does not surprise me at all. One only has to skim through the AMA threads here on RCU to realize that some here may still suffer from ODD.

https://healthery.com/health/opposit...hoCntUQAvD_BwE
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 AM
init4fun

Not to change the subject but..............

Hey! Admin! What the Heck? My post above I started with two upper case letters. And when saved your system changed them to lower case. Tried to edit with the same results. What gives with this system?
Hi Appowner , yes , I have run into such oddities of the new system also . It took a bit of doing to get the image uploader to work the first time I used it .

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I can't help but be a bit amused when people go off worrying about databases. Your credit report has tons of information about you, including your current and previous addresses. Your voter registration makes it easy to find you. Your tax returns contain detailed information about your finances addresses, and employment. Your driver's license or ID card tells them where to find you. If you own a house, that's a matter of public record. If you've ever been in trouble with the law, that is too. I could list a dozen other ways the government already has information on you, but the point is made- if they are after you they can find you. So our little FAA registration is of no consequence. It's there for those rare times when someone gets stupid with a model plane so the police can find them, not unlike the license plate you have to buy for your car, which the government has a database for as well.
Hi Jester , Absolutely , I agree 100% that it's "Closing the door after the Horse escaped the barn" to worry about government databases , like my above post mentioned from the very first Social Security number ever issued the government has all the info on anyone they'd ever need . The only real argument that could be made against this database is that the UAS registration will be ineffective in locating a "rogue" flyer (or Terrorist) doing nefarious deeds , because a rogue/terrorist ain't gonna be sporting an FAA number on their illegally flown mission ......
Old 10-14-2018, 06:53 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Jester, it does not surprise me at all. One only has to skim through the AMA threads here on RCU to realize that some here may still suffer from ODD.

https://healthery.com/health/opposit...hoCntUQAvD_BwE
You just can't participate in the thread without personally attacking the fellow posters I see . Now , since everyone else here is "playing nice" , and it's only YOU trying to again churn the drama by personally insulting the fellow posters , I have reported your post to the Moderator who will hopefully follow the rules and remove your offensive post(s) .Sure , go ahead and Insult folks here all you want to , and I'll use the rules and system in place to have your behavior moderated , and we'll see who comes out "in the right" . You have NO right to be personally attacking anybody here , carry your grudge much further and I will take the issue all the way to "Internet Brands" (RCU's real owner) if that's the way you want to play this ......
Old 10-14-2018, 07:02 AM
speedracerntrixie

I suppose you and others have forgotten your behavior on my thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...-what-ama.html
Old 10-14-2018, 09:03 AM
init4fun

Did you report it ? If it bothers you that much maybe you should . Of course , when you start a thread as an attack on a fellow poster , as has already been established here that your thinly veiled AMA praise thread is actually a slap at Franklin M due the language used in the opening sentence , maybe best not to . Your antagonism has gone on long enough and you have my word that continued antagonism will be met with my using the RCU community rules to attempt to return the thread to a non antagonistic discussion of the effect of HR 302's effect on the hobby and the AMA's response to it . It's time to loose that industrial sized chip on your shoulder and either join in the discussion about the topic point rather than personally insult the fellow posters , or bow out of the thread , the only one here looking for trouble being you .......
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

LOL still doing damage control I see. Anyone with common sense can clearly see that you were not coerced into that thread at all. You came in on your own choice to do so and immediately started with negative comments. YOU were the aggressor in that thread. My first two comments to your negative assumptions were quite polite. It wasn't until you started your lies that I became aggressive. Bottom line, don't dish out disrespect if you are too thin skinned to take it!

I did not report it as I do not want it edited, you painted yourself in a very poor light and I want it to stay that way. I started the thread to illustrate that there is good within the ENTIRE organization of the AMA which includes its largest asset, the members. You and others took advantage and turned it into another " Bash the AMA and anyone who supports the AMA " thread and then accuse me of dragging a thread off topic. Are there any mirrors in your home?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 AM
init4fun

LOL still doing damage control I see. Anyone with common sense can clearly see that you were not coerced into that thread at all. You came in on your own choice to do so and immediately started with negative comments. YOU were the aggressor in that thread. My first two comments to your negative assumptions were quite polite. It wasn't until you started your lies that I became aggressive. Bottom line, don't dish out disrespect if you are too thin skinned to take it!

I did not report it as I do not want it edited, you painted yourself in a very poor light and I want it to stay that way. I started the thread to illustrate that there is good within the ENTIRE organization of the AMA which includes its largest asset, the members. You and others took advantage and turned it into another " Bash the AMA and anyone who supports the AMA " thread and then accuse me of dragging a thread off topic. Are there any mirrors in your home?
Interesting viewpoint , but your "Late reports & spreadsheets" says otherwise .

Now , got anything to say about HR 302 , or will the entirety of your participation here be one of playing "attack the fellow posters" ?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 PM
speedracerntrixie

I will admit that I have not read through the entire bill. I did talk to my District VP about it last weekend. My understanding is that the AMA is working with the FAA to iron out some exemptions . He did not know exactly what those exemptions are going to be and who they will cover. He was of the opinion that AMA will not make any announcements until the exact extent of the exemptions are known. Out of everything that I am aware of, the only issue I have with it is the proposed 400' limit although I beleive this will be one of the things that will be waived for LOS model operations. I would like to see the exception include everyone regardless of where they fly LOS but I won't have any issue if it applies to CBO flying sites only. Reason being that I can see adding model fields to FAA charts relatively easy. My buddy Chris could even add R/C flying fields to the next edition of Pilots Guide. Having models fly over 400' in random areas I think is what the FAA is trying to eliminate. That being said, most schoolyard flying is being done with small models that usually don't go that high anyway.

Bottom line is that I don't think the FAAs goal is to shut us down. IMO the main goal for 302 is give them a better tool to prosecute offenders. For example, in the Boston case where a couple of guys were flying a quad in a city park and struck a child in the face. The only real options the city had was to charge the offenders with operating in a city park and hit them with a 160.00 fine. Really in the long run it was smart on their part to go that route as opposed to tying to prove reckless endangerment as now the parents have a misdemeanor conviction on their side to help them pursue a civil case. The bill is not going to prevent anyone from doing something stupid but will give the courts a tool to aid in prosecuting offenders.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-14-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 AM
Appowner
Banned

And pray tell us, how does that justify your continued attacks, stalkings and provocations?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM
speedracerntrixie

I could easily ask you , Hydro Junkie and Initforfun the same question. What is your justification for mounting a group attack on my thread? Can’t it be enough that you can justify that you see no value in the AMA and I can justify that I do see the value and we part ways in this thread being OK that others have different perspectives than our own. Why after I gave an answer to the opening topic with zero negative or passive aggressive comments do you feel the need to stir the pot again?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM
init4fun

I could easily ask you , Hydro Junkie and Initforfun the same question. What is your justification for mounting a group attack on my thread? Can’t it be enough that you can justify that you see no value in the AMA and I can justify that I do see the value and we part ways in this thread being OK that others have different perspectives than our own. Why after I gave an answer to the opening topic with zero negative or passive aggressive comments do you feel the need to stir the pot again?
Ok , it's "Olive Branch" time , for real .

Speed , maybe I did take your AMA praise thread wrong . I thought it was a hatchet job on Franklin , but I'm willing to say I could have misread your intent and mistook your post . Just as you may have taken the wrong impression of me as being anti AMA , if my 50 years of membership don't say I'm pro AMA I don't know what else could . Now , the continued bickering is no good for either of us , eventually Ken will come in here and dopeslap the two of us , so I'm willing to let this go if you will . I do appreciate your answer to my above question and I agree with you 100% , the FAA doesn't want us shut down , they just want us out of their day to day operations and to stay out of the way of full scale aircraft . See , we already have more common ground than we did 10 minutes ago .

Bygones be Bygones and I'm all for a truce if you are ....

Last edited by init4fun; 10-15-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: replacing omitted word "know" in the fourth sentence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.