Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Emergency" EC Meeting? 12 December?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Emergency" EC Meeting? 12 December?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Emergency" EC Meeting? 12 December?

Apparently, on 13 December there was an "Emergency" meeting of the EC.

Going back as far as 1999, the word "emergency" has never been used characterize an EC meeting. This was the first ever so titled. Anyone have an idea about the topic?

(Will have to log in first):
https://www.modelaircraft.org/execut...nd-information
Old 12-13-2018, 03:48 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt discussing the Christmas Bonuses for the EC.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:20 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Or discuss the exemption that will allow AMA membership to fly above 400'.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
What??

I'm sure you're having fun but the EC doesn't get paid, nor do they get any bonus.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Or discuss the exemption that will allow AMA membership to fly above 400'.
I suppose it's technically possible, but I can't think of even one time when an "emergency" meeting was called to discuess good news. "Emergency" meetings are typically held when something less desireable is to be discussed.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 AM
BarracudaHockey

While it's not my place to discuss the exact nature of the meeting I can say that it was nothing to do with the FAA, remote ID, 400 feet, or any sort of governmental issue.

Nor any bonuses
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
While it's not my place to discuss the exact nature of the meeting I can say that it was nothing to do with the FAA, remote ID, 400 feet, or any sort of governmental issue.

Nor any bonuses
AND ... by not stating an agenda in advance of EC meetings ensures that members are in the dark as to pending EC decisions until AFTER they're made.

Unless of course that's the goal of not publishing agendas in advance ..which seem to be the norm of late.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-13-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM
BarracudaHockey

Give your EC district rep a call or email, no need to twist it into anything else.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 AM
franklin_m

Give your EC district rep a call or email, no need to twist it into anything else.
Members shouldn't have to contact their district rep to get AMA to find out what they're going to discuss. Again, why make it so difficult for members to know what the EC is doing. Unless, as I said earlier, that is the goal of making members reach out each and every time.

No twisting. It's about repeated breakdowns in governance processes. Agendas should be published in advance. It's just not that difficult.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
I would put this into the “ twisting “ category. Then again the same with my previous comment. Difference is one is hopeful, the other spiteful.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM
speedracerntrixie

“ Well Known “ LOL, I appreciate the vote of confidence but still see this as an embellishment to move an agenda.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 12-13-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:24 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

knowing that they do not get paid at all, i dropped it in the humorous category.
difference in overall world outlook, i guess.

never heard of an 'emergency' ec meeting before, even when we had the guy who flew his plane into the goodyear blimp.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM
speedracerntrixie

I took it as a humorous jab as well and fired back with one of my own just to have mine quoted out of context on a different site. Oh the humanity LOL
Old 12-13-2018, 11:57 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Nor any bonuses
So , if it's not the FAA or any other governmental issue , and it is something warranting an emergency meeting , the next two guesses that come to mind are ;

#1 , a money crisis , perhaps ?

Or

#2 , Maybe something that's about to get us some "bad press" , like the idiot who thought he could fly an RC plane full of explosives into the Pentagon , or some horrible RC accident that's about to make the 6:00 news ?

Can't think of much else beyond the govt.(FAA) , money , or bad press that could count as an emergency , AMA wise ....
Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

beginning to think that it might be along the lines of, no one has responded to our call for bids to re new our ins coverage package kind of thing.

now, for the ec, that would be a real emergency
Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM
BarracudaHockey

Again, not being on the EC any more it's not my news to share.

I'll say this though. The only thing emergency, from my view, was that it is time sensitive in nature, I'm not sure I would have used the term "emergency" There's no sky falling, not even below 400 feet.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:14 PM
franklin_m

Again, not being on the EC any more it's not my news to share.

I'll say this though. The only thing emergency, from my view, was that it is time sensitive in nature, I'm not sure I would have used the term "emergency" There's no sky falling, not even below 400 feet.
I guess they decided to share with you but not with the rest of the unwashed masses.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - George Orwell from Animal Farm
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM
speedracerntrixie

Well, as adults would it not be prudent to not create rumors and simply show a little patience and wait for the membership to be addressed or is this an entitlement thing again?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I guess they decided to share with you but not with the rest of the unwashed masses.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - George Orwell from Animal Farm
I get it that you enjoy being difficult.

I debated whether or not to weigh in because I didn't want my reply twisted around but I figured it was better to quash the idea that the sky was falling rather than letting speculation run rampant.

Again, feel free to address it with your district VP
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM
franklin_m

I get it that you enjoy being difficult.

I debated whether or not to weigh in because I didn't want my reply twisted around but I figured it was better to quash the idea that the sky was falling rather than letting speculation run rampant.

Again, feel free to address it with your district VP
Contacting my VP now is too late. The whole reason for posting the agenda BEFORE the EC meets is so members can know what will be discussed BEFORE the EC meets so they can reach out to VP (or not) based on the agenda. But members can't do that now can they? And why. Because the HQ chooses not to hold themselves accountable for posting agendas before ALL meetings.

To understand why, one must ask "Cui Bono?" To which it's clear the EC does. Not posting agendas before meetings allows them to act before the "unwashed masses" find out. Thus concerns are met with "I'm sorry, but we already voted."
Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How was the meeting held? In person, or video conference?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Seems to me that, if it's that big of an emergency, it would have to be a skype or video conference. That brings me to another, somewhat older thought. IF they are doing a video or skype conference due speed being essential, why can't the EC do all meetings that way rather than waste around $110K to have everyone go to Muncie?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:51 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Seems to me that, if it's that big of an emergency, it would have to be a skype or video conference. That brings me to another, somewhat older thought. IF they are doing a video or skype conference due speed being essential, why can't the EC do all meetings that way rather than waste around $110K to have everyone go to Muncie?
Ha! Ha! THAT is the 110,000 dollar question! Good luck with that. Others have tried and failed to get an answer to that very idea.

As for the reason for the meeting? Consider a few things.
It was held 11 days before Christmas. So I assume it must be some kind of real issue. At least real to the EC.
The Government is in holiday mode meaning not much work is getting done. And the closer to Christmas, the more of a crisis anything needs to be to be considered.
Isn't it renewal time for AMA members? Membership crisis?
What is AMA's fiscal year? If the calendar, then maybe.....???

The public will find out in due course. And as usual, it will be too late for anyone to do anything.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

It helps to review the by-laws in the membership manual.
There are provisions for who can call an EC meeting, and for what. Generally there is a requirement for advance notification of a requested meeting to the EC members. The President can override that notification waiting period by designating the meeting as an "Emergency". The implication is that would be done for a time sensitive matter. While the EC members are required to be informed of the purpose of the meeting, there is no requirement for notifying the general membership. The most likely by-law based reasons: a matter involving discipline of an AMA member, or a critical position that needs to be filled (or at least temporarily covered) due to sudden vacancy.

As far as "The public will find out in due course. And as usual, it will be too late for anyone to do anything." - umm,....Who else would be expected to step in and "do anything", since EC members are the ones we specifically elected to "do something"?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by tedsander
.................................................. ....
As far as "The public will find out in due course. And as usual, it will be too late for anyone to do anything." - umm,....Who else would be expected to step in and "do anything", since EC members are the ones we specifically elected to "do something"?
So what you're saying is, you're a vote and forget type of person? You never let your opinion be known to your DVP? Never communicate beyond the ballot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.