Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was 9 when I listened to President Kennedy's speech on my parents black and white TV. I grew up watching and learning about our space program. We watched the launches in our classrooms in school and monitored the orbital flights. I saw and experienced the enthusiasm of the American Public over this. I see no such enthusiasm today.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:55 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very true. People are more interested in what the Kardashian’s are doing. Very sad. I wonder how the caravan making its way through Mexico heading towards the Texas border would have been viewed by the average American back in 1970? I have heard opinions ranging from swearing them all in as citizens to a couple passes with. C-130 gunship. So sad how divided and media influenced our country has become.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And the days of the International Space Station (ISS) are numbered.

And its replacement is being built and placed into orbit by...............................Communist China
Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, according to Obama,..... the space program is just an excessive use of people's taxes. hhhhhmmmmm,.....what would you call the way welfare is given out, in this country ?.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by r ward View Post
well, according to Obama,..... the space program is just an excessive use of people's taxes. hhhhhmmmmm,.....what would you call the way welfare is given out, in this country ?.

I don't know about the rest of the country but in my home state of California I truly beleive the amount of money given to Illegals affects the maintaining of infestructure. On Tuesday my wife and I drove up to Portland. Although California generates much more tax revenue, the roads in Oregon are much better maintained and Portland is so much cleaner then Sacramento.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:04 AM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RichinTx View Post
First kit building....giving way to all these ARFs and foamys.
Originally Posted by RichinTx View Post

Then glow/gas engines.....giving way to electrics and LiPo's

Then freedom...giving way to overreaching regulation.

What's next?

Very depressing.

The only real positive in the recent past is the spread spectrum technology.

I miss the camaraderie that used to be prevalent in the club I belonged to when I first got started in R/C 40 years ago. Being well structured, the club was run by Robert's Rules of Order and always ended with the highlight of Show & Tell. Members brought in projects they were working on, an airplane they had just completed, or shared some helpful building technique. The chance of going home with a gallon of fuel encouraged participation. The solos of new members announced were presented with club hats and applause from the membership. Everyone flew glow with a smattering of gas or diesel. Electric was in it's infancy with less than stellar performance, brushed Astro Flight motors and NiCads being state-of-the-art. The club had plenty of activities scheduled throughout the year including fun-flys, a bipe fly-in, a Toys-for-Tots drive, a winter fun-fly, a building contest, club's own .25 warbird pylon races, 1/2A pylon races, and a club-level pattern contest. It even had it's own airshow team. Ducted fans and 4 strokes were becoming more prevalent. The AMA was working with the FCC and industry to acquire a bunch of new frequencies in the 72 MHz band. Hobby shops were plentiful; Flying Models, RCM, MAN, American Modeler, MA with Bill Winter writing a monthly article "Just for Fun" were at hand. Times were good - I remember the adrenalin rush on the way to the flying field. What happened?

Although not regarded in good stead and frowned upon, I was flying ARFs then which was more the exception than the rule. Today, electric foamys are prevalent but the traditional ARF is slowly changing - at least those geared toward sport glow flying - .25 sizes have already gone away, .40s are on their way out, and .60s seem to have been resized to accommodate gasoline.

The way I experienced it - at the turn of the century - electric power began to take hold at first with Grand Wing Servo (GWS) and their micro-light airborne flight packs, orange E-props, and small brushed, gear driven motor systems. Trick R/C and their nearly indestructible Speed 400 powered Zagi's were all the rage locally. As brushless motors and controllers came on the scene, glow engine sizes began disappearing much to my dismay - first noted it with .25's but was already getting late to the party - that's when hoarding began. Problem is, I didn't account for all the glow related paraphernalia that goes with them - e.g. fuel tanks, propellers, headers/pipes/mufflers, spinners and what about parts support - that's where duplicates will help. Now I'm sorta' playing catchup with accessories.

I'm a hypocrite as I own and fly several of those electric foamys now too but lament the loss of glow popularity from others around me that would keep glow supply and support on tap during my retirement years. Figuring I'll do the best I can to use what I have, scrounge flea markets and swap meets, or fabricate/improvise, when things wear out or deteriorate. But what to do when say something like a (no longer available) YS regulator diaphragm needs replacing? Will I surprise myself and fabricate such a thing? I don't want to go electric here. I don't like it but it is what it is now. Not to be a total pessimist, but did anyone notice the QM40 on the front cover, a surprising ad for glow engines just inside the front cover, and Jay Smith holding a Cox .049 powered PT-19 in the November '18 issue of MA?

The recent requests to squawk senators/congress persons and what may be forthcoming is unsettling but seems better just recently based on information obtained these last few days; I like the hobby too much to put up with harassment like ceiling restrictions and would be willing to move to where modelers can fly without hindrance ('course with the boss's approval) but don't want to lose sight of the possibility that the grass necessarily being greener over yonder. I'll be damned if I'm going to put up with remote ID if that comes to be though - especially just to test glide something in the backyard. Are you kiddin' me?

Still flying plenty of 72 MHz in anything that's not electric or gasoline powered - just beginning to integrate 2.4 Gig into glow models now.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

don't feel bad about the foamies,....I've been thinking of building one just to be able to fly around my own back yard on days I feel like doing something, but don't want to load all the stuff in the Jeep and drive to the field. our hobby is flying our planes and flying is flying no matter what you are flying !. I have a Futaba 6EX (2.4) and I also have a Futaba Attak-4 in a Corro-Kadett, that I re-learned on, after being away from it for about 40 years (my radio way back then, was an "Orbit" 4 channel. 2.4 Gig is great stuff, but a radio is a radio, and if it gets you in the air, it's doing it's job. that Corro-Kadett is still my go-to plane when I just want to play around and relax doing it. I think we all need that one plane that we can put in the air and just play around with no worries about the ground sneaking up and grabbing the plane. if every plane we have looks like a shiney-new trailer queen, this hobby would be way too nerve wracking !.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see kit building on the rise right now. Laser cutting has enabled several cottage industry kit cutters to spring up. This makes me very happy as when I started in the hobby most of our products came from cottage industry manufacturers. I have nothing against foam or ARFs as they do bring guys into the hobby and these days we have far less recreation time. I think guys are starting to realize that wood ARF models have a limited lifespan due to the poor quality wood used and we are getting back to wanting personalized airplanes. That is what my hangup is unfortunately. I tend to put my heart and soul into each build and then not want to risk it. I am lacking that " beater airplane " that I can just take out and fly the snot out of.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know what you mean. I usually put my heart and soul into my build as well. it's actually hard for me to build something just slapping it together so I can fly it....it's got tool as perfect as I can make it. it makes it hard to risk crashing the plane. when I was a kid my buddies dad built lots of planes that I thought were sort of "crudely built" ,.....maybe he had the right idea,.....Just hammer them out and put them in the air. he flew them all,...alot,.....they all flew just fine and he probably had a lot more fun flying them than someone like you or me. maybe it's the difference between " builder" and a "flyer" although he was certainly both. there are guys that fly what they build and guys who build just because they want to fly.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Swap meets are good for getting a "Beater". Maybe slightly damaged or in need of new covering. Something that takes a few hours and a little money to get into the air and fly the heck out of.
Hey, I just noticed I`ve been promoted to a Premium Member. Cool.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 11-24-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 11-24-2018, 03:49 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OH MY GOD! electric airplanes are a threat to our freedom! Somebody needs to do something and quick before electric flyers take away our freedom!
Electric powered airplanes are not new. People have been flying electric for a lot longer than you think. Besides, it's just another aspect of our hobby. Even though I'm not a fan of all these foamies, they have their place as well.
It's not like the sky is falling. No one's freedom is being threatened by electrics planes or foamies.
What it sounds to me is that there are some individuals who feel threatened by anything new especially when it comes to our hobby. It is an unfounded fear. Mostly from what I've experienced from older flyers. Now think back to what free flighters and U- control flyers thought about radio control. Wanna bet they came up with the very same hysterics?
Get over it. Stop resorting to hysterics and over the top comments like your freedom is being threatened from all this.
There are other things to be concerned with and electric planes and foamies should not be one of them.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:14 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know what you mean. I usually put my heart and soul into my build as well. it's actually hard for me to build something just slapping it together so I can fly it....it's got tool as perfect as I can make it. it makes it hard to risk crashing the plane. when I was a kid my buddies dad built lots of planes that I thought were sort of "crudely built" ,.....maybe he had the right idea,.....Just hammer them out and put them in the air. he flew them all,...alot,.....they all flew just fine and he probably had a lot more fun flying them than someone like you or me. maybe it's the difference between " builder" and a "flyer" although he was certainly both. there are guys that fly what they build and guys who build just because they want to fly.
Those that don't care seem to have more fun; the problem with perfectionism is that one is never truly happy with the outcome of any task - it can always be done better. Acceptance is as close to happy as it gets.

I see kit building on the rise right now. Laser cutting has enabled several cottage industry kit cutters to spring up. This makes me very happy as when I started in the hobby most of our products came from cottage industry manufacturers.
Had a look around; started taking note and pleased to find some of these even just recently: The Balsa Workbench, Old School Model Works, Alien Aircraft, Lazerworks, and Eureka Aircraft Co.

While searching wheels and pilots - even found Williams Brothers Model Products as their own entity.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:54 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
OH MY GOD! electric airplanes are a threat to our freedom! Somebody needs to do something and quick before electric flyers take away our freedom!
Did you hear this just recently? Were they actually flying anything at the time?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:04 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by H5606 View Post
Did you hear this just recently? Were they actually flying anything at the time?
Mostly keyboard flying on RCU, technically electric powered LOL.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:37 PM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"I am not sure that the average member of the AMA today is concerned about the growth of the hobby. In fact I am reasonably sure he or she doesn’t care. As an organization the AMA and the industry have a common interest in seeing the activity grow. In this sense the AMA and the industry have more in common than the AMA and a large portion of its own membership. The typical AMA member is rightfully interested in what AMA is doing for him, not what AMA is doing for aeromodelling."

Dave Brown 1994

Last edited by fliers1; 12-19-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
"I am not sure that the average member of the AMA today is concerned about the growth of the hobby. In fact I am reasonably sure her or she doesn’t care. As an organization the AMA and the industry have a common interest in seeing the activity grow. In this sense the AMA and the industry have more in common than the AMA and a large portion of its own membership. The typical AMA member is rightfully interested in what AMA is doing for him, not what AMA is doing for aeromodelling."

Dave Brown 1994
And with that, in that very year. The AMA refused to help my club retain their flying field. So I would have to say that even way back then, the AMA was already courting the then fledgling drone industry.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:32 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess the days of fixed-wing, helis, and scale models are nearly over. The multi-rotors with photography equipment have pretty much taken over. And, we can see where all this is going with the new upcoming FAA regulations.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern View Post
I guess the days of fixed-wing, helis, and scale models are nearly over. The multi-rotors with photography equipment have pretty much taken over. And, we can see where all this is going with the new upcoming FAA regulations.
There just may be a little light at the end of the tunnel as far as the fate of fixed-wing is concerned. Stay tuned
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern View Post
I don't think those parts of the hobby are over. I think what you're seeing is the sudden and overwhelming popularity of MRs, both in the toy store and the media is simply overwhelming all other aspects of the hobby. For the time being. I don't believe there's been any significant decrease in the numbers participating in helis, scale, etc. And as the drone craze subsides, I wouldn't be surprised to see some droners get involved in fixed wing, scale and such. And the numbers might even increase.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What concerns me is, although Horizon and some others carry glow and gas powered advanced aircraft, but they do not carry glow powered trainers anymore, only electric.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:44 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What concerns me is, although Horizon and some others carry glow and gas powered advanced aircraft, but they do not carry glow powered trainers anymore, only electric.

Very good point. Vendors will manufacture what trends tell them will sell. Today's society wants things now. They want to log onto their computer and order something that can be flown right away and with minimum learning curve. This is where I feel that the club atmosphere is most important. The clubs need to embrace this way of thought. This is our available avenue to bring new people into the fold. Some will stick with the electric powered ARF type airplanes, some will move to glow or gas powered. Some will become builders but only if we do not shun them for showing up with a small electric airplane with flight aids. Building has become somewhat a lost art. Our magazines used to have design/build articles with plans printed on the pages. When was the last time we saw that? Yes the hobby has changed and will continue to do so, it means that the hobby you and I grew up with is gone but this new hobby will continue as long as we embrace it and the people it brings to us.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horizon and other distributors/manufacturers like the AMA are not immune to being overwhelmed by various aspects of the hobby. In short, they too chase the trends. And sometimes the non-trends get dropped off at the curb.

There is nothing wrong with taking a set of plans, yours or someone else, and cutting your own kit. While I understand that few today have the patience or the skills for it, they are the real losers in this deal. Not those of us who are not afraid of some balsa dust. It is after all a learning process. Should have seen my first efforts......

Look at some of the questions posed in the beginners sections of various forums. They are often at such a base level I get the impression I'm reading a kindergartners post. And that doesn't include their command of the language. Legit questions but for many I'm tempted to ask if the OP has bothered to THINK about his problem at all? Or is it a case of being use to and expecting to having everything handed to them without any brain strain? Modern education?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You just can't get the sensations out of an electric that you can from glow. Battery-powered electrics are what caused me to lose part of my interest in the hobby. I have one brand new air frame left from a whole collection, and it has been sitting on the marketplace for quite some time. I doubt if I'll find a buyer because it is a fixed wing. I am pretty sure it would have been sold by now if it was a multi-rotor with a camera.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had over 20 glow powered planes, radios and equipment given to me over the past few years. Also I turned down people who had planes they couldn't give away.
I had a hard time getting rid of what I had, but finally I dumped (free) a dozen planes, engines, and perfectly good radios on someone I trained. Sorry Jim. lol
I still have a dozen planes and equipment collecting dust in my cellar. Once in a while, I'll take one out to fly, just to make sure everything is ok.

Last night I gave a college student a Futaba PCM 1024 receiver. Funny thing, he bought a used transmitter that just so happened to be on the same frequency of the receiver I had. Talk about fate.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:09 PM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wonder if this would help AMA increase membership someday?
https://litespeedairshow.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service