Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:11 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
What concerns me is, although Horizon and some others carry glow and gas powered advanced aircraft, but they do not carry glow powered trainers anymore, only electric.
Tower hobbies still has a glow powered RTF trainer available. It is currently back ordered but expected back in stock in January. Link here
Old 12-26-2018, 05:33 AM
Stickslammer

I wonder if this would help AMA increase membership someday?
https://litespeedairshow.com/
Thanks for that video. Very moving to see kids so excited about aviation. I hope this is really getting out nationwide, as it sounds like it`s based primarily in Oklahoma.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it will catch on in other states. I recently joined a newly built YMCA, with a large area in the back, I am planning on creating a RC flight school program, indoors with small electric airplanes
and larger electric aircraft outside. I spoke with the head man there and he thought it would be a great idea. My main plan is to train others how to fly and then teach. The lady in charge of working with
kids in 6 different schools will be working with me for the aeromodeling program. I contacted AMA and they sent me a package with information and foam glider kits. That's nice but I want to get
right into RC flying first. Also, we plan on having a simulator and a large screen tv for all year around training for kids or any Y member.

The Y outdoor field will be used mostly for promotion, because there is a regular club flying field a couple of miles away we will use for further training during spring and summer.

Last edited by fliers1; 12-26-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Very nice! I applaud your efforts. Let me know when you start collecting equipment. I have a Flyzone Calypso that can use a new home.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Very nice! I applaud your efforts. Let me know when you start collecting equipment. I have a Flyzone Calypso that can use a new home.
Thank you much sir. I can use all the help I can get. Unfortunately, I'm all alone as I will not have any help from any local clubs. But I'm pretty sure I will succeed.
We have several flying sites in this area, but two clubs lost their field and a couple of other clubs are down to a very small number of members, whose average age is around 75.
We have another field that is for the most part unused. Krull Park in Olcott, NY Weird situation. lol
Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 AM
speedracerntrixie

I wouldn't count out the clubs just yet. Once you have the ball somewhat rolling that may change. If any of them have an open house or a mall show later this year ask them if you can participate and demonstrate your program. Lots of club members have grandchildren and should jump at an opportunity to get them into modeling. Some just have difficulty figuring out how to go about it.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:24 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I wouldn't count out the clubs just yet. Once you have the ball somewhat rolling that may change. If any of them have an open house or a mall show later this year ask them if you can participate and demonstrate your program. Lots of club members have grandchildren and should jump at an opportunity to get them into modeling. Some just have difficulty figuring out how to go about it.
Unfortunately, I won't count on any clubs at all. It's got so bad here, there are no more mall shows anymore. I've offered to volunteer my help to all clubs in the area, but they all turned me down.
It is do it their way (which has proven to not work all that well) or don't bother us with your way. This is a whole can of worms that I don't wish to open again. BTW, this has been the attitude in clubs that I was a member.
Last summer one club had a club picnic and fun fly and only 4 members showed up.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:41 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What concerns me is, although Horizon and some others carry glow and gas powered advanced aircraft, but they do not carry glow powered trainers anymore, only electric.

I saw more Horizon RTF Alpha trainers show up at my field than any other trainer, before Horizon discontinued it.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:49 PM
speedracerntrixie

Unfortunately, I won't count on any clubs at all. It's got so bad here, there are no more mall shows anymore. I've offered to volunteer my help to all clubs in the area, but they all turned me down.
It is do it their way (which has proven to not work all that well) or don't bother us with your way. This is a whole can of worms that I don't wish to open again. BTW, this has been the attitude in clubs that I was a member.
Last summer one club had a club picnic and fun fly and only 4 members showed up.

Thats really sad to hear about.IMO that falls squarely on the club officers. Unfortunately in some cases the guy getting elected is the only guy who stepped forward. I am lucky in that the clubs that I have associated with have been run very well. Not that everything has been roses, there are always those couple guys in each club that have been given some empowerment within the club but don't have the head for it. As for myself I wish I had the time to take on a club position but that will have to wait until I retire. For now when that one young person who comes along that needs some guidance and maybe a few pieces of equipment I will do what I can. Get one young person involved and hopefully their enthusiasm will spread to a friend or two.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:19 AM
fliers1

Hobbico is gone, are we all doomed.

https://www.nrhsa.org/NRHSA-Blog/6259983

Last edited by fliers1; 01-01-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM
fliers1

Horizon RC Fest 2018 HorizonHobby I wonder how much money it cost Horizon to put on this event and what was their return on this investment?

AMA tried something like this back in 1998 and 2001 called the Grand Event. Both times it was well attended. There was 5 or 6 stations set up for flight instruction.
129 spectators lined up for a few minutes of stick time. I asked one official what did he think would happen once they returned to their home club for further instruction.
Didn't get an answer. Didn't seem like there was a return on money spent.

Last edited by fliers1; 01-08-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horizon RC Fest 2018 HorizonHobby I wonder how much money it cost Horizon to put on this event and what was their return on this investment?

AMA tried something like this back in 1998 and 2001 called the Grand Event. Both times it was well attended. There was 5 or 6 stations set up for flight instruction.
129 spectators lined up for a few minutes of stick time. I asked one official what did he think would happen once they returned to their home club for further instruction.
Didn't get an answer. Didn't seem like there wasn't a return on money spent.
Probably comparable to the mall shows clubs would do when malls were popular. You would talk to and give some sort of stick time to hundreds of people. And yet maybe 3 would ever show up at the field. And maybe one of them might join.

I believe the desire for this hobby has to come from within. You can not entice a person into it for more than a few years. They have to want it and seek it out. Simple as that.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by Appowner
Probably comparable to the mall shows clubs would do when malls were popular. You would talk to and give some sort of stick time to hundreds of people. And yet maybe 3 would ever show up at the field. And maybe one of them might join.

I believe the desire for this hobby has to come from within. You can not entice a person into it for more than a few years. They have to want it and seek it out. Simple as that.
From experience, I have had many say that they were not interested, but what I did was, and I've said this many times, in many cases, strongly insist that they fly my LT-40. Once they got some serious stick time, and I promised them that I would be at their beck and call for further instruction, the once, "I'm not interested" customer suddenly became interested. When they quickly earned their solo wings
they became hopelessly addicted to RC aeromodeling and many years later have many advanced airplanes and some even got others interested. This has happened hundreds of times, at least locally.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:51 AM
fliers1

4. CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER’S REPORT
November 14, 2018 AMA EC minutes

2019 Budget was presented and it was:
Motion I: Moved by R. Cameron (EVP) seconded by B. Brogdon (V) to approve the 2019 budget as submitted. Motion passed 10 yes; 2 no
K. Session (CFO) continued to express his concern with membership numbers, the ability to bring in non-dues revenue; cutting costs while increasing revenue. Reducing the number of face to face meetings with the EC to three per year instead of four. AMA can’t continue to count on the interest of our investments to support operations. AMA to explore non-dues revenue.

Looks like they might be paying attention to us.

Last edited by fliers1; 01-15-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 AM
Appowner
Banned

4. CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER’S REPORT
November 14, 2018 AMA EC minutes

2019 Budget was presented and it was:
Motion I: Moved by R. Cameron (EVP) seconded by B. Brogdon (V) to approve the 2019 budget as submitted. Motion passed 10 yes; 2 no
K. Session (CFO) continued to express his concern with membership numbers, the ability to bring in non-dues revenue; cutting costs while increasing revenue. Reducing the number of face to face meetings with the EC to three per year instead of four. AMA can’t continue to count on the interest of our investments to support operations. AMA to explore non-dues revenue.

Looks like they might be paying attention to us.
Red Ink has it's own way of getting attention!

The fact that it's been simply "suggested" they reduce the face to face meetings with the EC to three per year instead of four, tells me the majority of the EC have yet to see the issues. Once a year IMO would be sufficient with the rest being tele-conf. But I think that would be a drop in the bucket of things needed.

From the vote I see that two members see the issues and are concerned. And have the balls to bring it up. An unknown number of GoB's either don't see it or don't care. The rest are siding with the GoB's out of fear if nothing else. Don't rock the boat kind of thing or a "whatever you say boss" thing.

In the end I don't think they're really paying any attention to us. We're a minor irritation. Until the rank and file of members start asking questions in larger numbers. I don't see anything changing until it's too late. And since a majority of the rank and file don't care to even vote, I doubt we'll see any mass outcry until it's too late.

I think just a thousand members sending Franklins graphs to the entire EC with a simple question, "What's up with this?". Might get the ball rolling. But those thousand would have to follow up on it and I simply do not see that happening. And the EC knows it.

Simply put the membership wants someone else to do what they themselves should be doing.

Last edited by Appowner; 01-15-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM
fliers1

In the end I don't think they're really paying any attention to us. We're a minor irritation. Until the rank and file of members start asking questions in larger numbers. I don't see anything changing until it's too late. And since a majority of the rank and file don't care to even vote, I doubt we'll see any mass outcry until it's too late.
I just like to think that it's possible there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. lol

If they think we're a minor irritation, they are paying attention to a minor degree. We'll see.
It appears they are quite desperate

Last edited by fliers1; 01-15-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 AM
Appowner
Banned

I just like to think that it's possible there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. lol

If they think we're a minor irritation, they are paying attention to a minor degree. We'll see.
It appears they are quite desperate
As long as that light isn't attached to a locomotive.

If they were desperate there'd be action and not the preliminary discussions we currently see. Obviously the CFO and someone else see the writing on the wall. But equally obvious based on the 10-2 vote of the budget there's a climate of business as usual which translates to "what Hanson wants, Hanson gets!" And I say Hanson even though I do not think he's the real force behind it all. I think there's someone who isn't even on the EC but who's pulling a lot of strings.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

I have participated in many a mall show. The mall is where people go to get instant gratification. It is the wrong audience, wrong market to attract members. My favorite thing to do was to seek out the guy whose eyes were glassed over due to being "kidnapped" to the mall by his wife. "Those guys" were an easy target and would likely show up at the next club meeting.

Astro
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

And I say Hanson even though I do not think he's the real force behind it all. I think there's someone who isn't even on the EC but who's pulling a lot of strings.
I think it is this guy!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

As long as that light isn't attached to a locomotive.

If they were desperate there'd be action and not the preliminary discussions we currently see. Obviously the CFO and someone else see the writing on the wall. But equally obvious based on the 10-2 vote of the budget there's a climate of business as usual which translates to "what Hanson wants, Hanson gets!" And I say Hanson even though I do not think he's the real force behind it all. I think there's someone who isn't even on the EC but who's pulling a lot of strings.
Is it possible that someone from the EC or one of the AVPs is seeing this and other threads and is taking notice? For all we know the CFO has seen these threads and seen what's going on and went back and checked the books, only to find Franklin is correct
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Is it possible that someone from the EC or one of the AVPs is seeing this and other threads and is taking notice? For all we know the CFO has seen these threads and seen what's going on and went back and checked the books, only to find Franklin is correct
It would be foolish of them not to check places like this. But............. I do know several DVPs read RCG. Now whether or not they read the pertinent sections?

I would be concerned about a CFO that needs to have his books explained to him on a forum like this. He should have had an understanding of the situation within a couple of months of taking office. In fact, any chief officer should be able to read the annual reports and tell where a company is going.

I just haven't seen any action on the part of the AMA that tells me the EC as a whole is concerned or even cares about the financials. The membership certainly doesn't seem to care.

Last edited by Appowner; 01-15-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Some CFOs don't follow the trends, just what the latest information is. I see it in the square dance club the wife and I belong to as well. They have a monthly meeting and put out that information, no one really listens until a subject comes up they want to pursue. Since the wife and I got tired of all of the "wanna be" politicians, we've stopped going to meetings so we have no clue as to the finances of the club
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Some CFOs don't follow the trends, just what the latest information is. I see it in the square dance club the wife and I belong to as well. They have a monthly meeting and put out that information, no one really listens until a subject comes up they want to pursue. Since the wife and I got tired of all of the "wanna be" politicians, we've stopped going to meetings so we have no clue as to the finances of the club
And the annual budget for the club was...................? Remember, the AMA budget is 10-12 million a year. No small potatoes. Then again, the AMA CFO might have been nothing more than the "Guy willing to take a swing at it!" Basically a club treasurer.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM
fliers1

https://www.modelaircraft.org/execut...018-ec-minutes
Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 PM
franklin_m

Red Ink has it's own way of getting attention!

The fact that it's been simply "suggested" they reduce the face to face meetings with the EC to three per year instead of four, tells me the majority of the EC have yet to see the issues. Once a year IMO would be sufficient with the rest being tele-conf. But I think that would be a drop in the bucket of things needed.

From the vote I see that two members see the issues and are concerned. And have the balls to bring it up. An unknown number of GoB's either don't see it or don't care. The rest are siding with the GoB's out of fear if nothing else. Don't rock the boat kind of thing or a "whatever you say boss" thing.

I think just a thousand members sending Franklins graphs to the entire EC with a simple question, "What's up with this?". Might get the ball rolling. But those thousand would have to follow up on it and I simply do not see that happening. And the EC knows it.

Simply put the membership wants someone else to do what they themselves should be doing.
FYI, my wife told me I just got a pack in the mail with the AMA’s 2017 IRS filing. I requested it from AMA under provision of IRS code which requires tax free organizations to provide it upon request. This will give us the latest data points to add to my graphs. The problem is I’m out of town for a trip and won’t get to get it into my spreadsheets for another couple weeks. Given CFO’s comments, I can guess what the trends will show. Now, if I can ID a couple key pages and have my son scan and send them to me ... I may be able to have it sooner.

That said, I recall from past years that travel is about $100K a year or so. Could be as high as $175K. Regardless, it’s a cost easily reduced, and yet I agree that it’s sad the majority of the EC doesn’t see it as something necessary. What concerns me is that this is an indicator of how they (EC) views ALL of the spending. They’re focused on trimming around the edges when big vertical cuts are needed. For example, the magazine continues to hemmorage money. Why hasn’t the editor been fired? Somehow they think a new ad agency is going to solve it? Yeah right. They don’t realize the fundamental point ... the content and readership is what drives ad revenue. If the former is not getting more of the latter, or if the latter isn’t a big enough audience, it’s not a good advertising investment. Which is what we see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.