Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Expo West ... Attendance? Member meeting?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Expo West ... Attendance? Member meeting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:53 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Expo West ... Attendance? Member meeting?

Curious about Expo West... Facebook photos show pretty light attendance. Member meeting only about half seats open. Anybody who attended want to share about:

- Attendance?
- Any tidbits from member meeting?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

When was it? I didn't even know it was being planned
Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

A bunch of my flying buddies went, I couldn't fit it into the schedule but I was getting pictures on my Facebook page all weekend. I will have to ask around to see how the attendance went. Need to keep in mind though that it was the first year being held in November and at this location. It's nice to know that the new location supports outdoor demonstrations again. Matt Stringer was apparently tearing it up flying some 3D with a 100cc Extra. My fellow pattern competitors John, Bill, Daniel and Were there manning the NSRCA booth. I will be seeing John this week and will get the skinny from him. From what I can see the show was a success. I have not heard anything about the AMA meeting though. I will have to give Lawrence a call about that.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 11-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM
speedracerntrixie

To me this looks pretty promising. Looks to be about the same as what I witnessed while working the IMS, Toledo and Chicago shows back in the '80s and '90s.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went on SAT and I felt the attendance was good not to point of being overcrowded but I think the show will grow in its present venue.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

To me this looks pretty promising. Looks to be about the same as what I witnessed while working the IMS, Toledo and Chicago shows back in the '80s and '90s.
Honestly , and I'm not looking to demean the meeting whatsoever I think it's great that the AMA has them , this is just what I see when I look at this photo ;

OLD MEN !!!!

Old men just like me . And when we dinosaurs have all finally died off I believe there won't be enough new blood to even be able to have such meetings . Looking at that picture I see very few young people and I don't see that as promising at all . I know time and technology move on and I intend to enjoy every bit of my interest RC while I can , with the knowledge that at some future point the hobby isn't gonna look anything like what it does now . One thing is for sure , if future generations don't want to build RC models of full sized actual airplanes and fly them , then I would be the last one to demand that they do that just to keep the hobby alive in my vision of what I think it should be ....
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 AM
speedracerntrixie

Default Us old men

One thing to keep in mind is that picture is the crowd in front of a sailplane vendor and the sailplane demographic is a higher age then the hobby as a whole. I am 54 and one of the youngest guys in my sailplane club.

That being said, you are correct in that we seriously lack young people in our hobby. Many theories as to why but one that accounts for some lack of interest is the current technology boom. When you and I were kids, the aviation industry was developing at a very accelerated rate. We saw men break the sound barrier, saw men land on the moon, saw a supersonic transport airplane and saw men rocket into space and land like an airplane. Aviation was all around us growing up. Look at the technology that kids grew up with starting at 1990. The electronics and information boom. Aviation has been somewhat stagnant and boring to most outside the industry. Bottom line is the 30 and younger crowd just has no interest in flying model airplanes with us old guys. A good reason to support a young man when he does show interest.

Not all is lost however. I do see quite often newly retired guys starting the hobby or returning to the hobby now that they have the spare time. We are all really not that different. Maybe opposing opinions at times but I truly believe if we were to find ourselves at the same flying feild we would enjoy one another’s company.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that picture is the crowd in front of a sailplane vendor and the sailplane demographic is a higher age then the hobby as a whole. I am 54 and one of the youngest guys in my sailplane club.

That being said, you are correct in that we seriously lack young people in our hobby. Many theories as to why but one that accounts for some lack of interest is the current technology boom. When you and I were kids, the aviation industry was developing at a very accelerated rate. We saw men break the sound barrier, saw men land on the moon, saw a supersonic transport airplane and saw men rocket into space and land like an airplane. Aviation was all around us growing up. Look at the technology that kids grew up with starting at 1990. The electronics and information boom. Aviation has been somewhat stagnant and boring to most outside the industry. Bottom line is the 30 and younger crowd just has no interest in flying model airplanes with us old guys. A good reason to support a young man when he does show interest.

Not all is lost however. I do see quite often newly retired guys starting the hobby or returning to the hobby now that they have the spare time. We are all really not that different. Maybe opposing opinions at times but I truly believe if we were to find ourselves at the same flying feild we would enjoy one another’s company.
Very good post and I agree 100% !
Old 11-08-2018, 05:14 AM
franklin_m

...you are correct in that we seriously lack young people in our hobby. Many theories as to why but one that accounts for some lack of interest is the current technology boom. When you and I were kids, the aviation industry was developing at a very accelerated rate. We saw men break the sound barrier, saw men land on the moon, saw a supersonic transport airplane and saw men rocket into space and land like an airplane. Aviation was all around us growing up. Look at the technology that kids grew up with starting at 1990. The electronics and information boom. Aviation has been somewhat stagnant and boring to most outside the industry. Bottom line is the 30 and younger crowd just has no interest in flying model airplanes with us old guys. A good reason to support a young man when he does show interest.
Today, aviation is just a means to an end. It's a method of getting from one place to another. It's a method of taking photos. It's a method of looking at crops. It's a method of mapping an object. Although that's sad for the hobby, it is a good thing overall. It means aviation is part of our everyday life. More importantly, it means it's safe and seamlessy integrated into everything we do.

It's good that folks are returning to the hobby, but that doesn't move the needle much when it comes to hobby aging out. It'll help, and perhaps delay things a bit, but it won't dramatically change the average age (median age etc.) of participants.

Ironically, I've found it easy to get local kids to at least stop and watch when I'm flying in the local park / at local school. With the advent of technology to take the bite out of the learning process, they're more likely to meet with early success. Ironically, what's interested local kids the most is control line. I can't figure out why, but they seem much more interested in that than in FW or Helos. Maybe it's all the other sensory stimulation ... the noise of the engine, the smell of the fuel, the pull of the handle, etc.

Honestly, where I consistently run into challenges when the parents start asking question is cost. They're happy to spend money to get them things they can fly locally (walking distance), but when it comes time to buying things that take a club field ..with associated driving time, cost, etc. .. I can see their body language change. I realize this may not be the case everywhere, but that's what I see. When I tell them the nearest club field is 13 miles away (and I live closest to it compared to the rest of the "town"), the questions turn back to "What kind of stuff can I fly here?"

I think this is the logical extension of the PF / foam movement. Easier to get good looking, reasonable cost, and good performing stuff that you can fly close to home. AMA may have to take a close look at its dependence on the club field model .. it may not sustain in sufficient numbers (and create reason for membership) for too much longer.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Honestly, where I consistently run into challenges when the parents start asking question is cost. They're happy to spend money to get them things they can fly locally (walking distance), but when it comes time to buying things that take a club field ..with associated driving time, cost, etc. .. I can see their body language change. I realize this may not be the case everywhere, but that's what I see. When I tell them the nearest club field is 13 miles away (and I live closest to it compared to the rest of the "town"), the questions turn back to "What kind of stuff can I fly here?"

I read on one club's website that it will take 50 - 15 minutes lessons to start, to solo. Another website said that the quickest anyone took to learn was 22 hours. No one could blame a parent for not wanting to make all of those trips to the flying field so their kids could learn how to fly RC airplanes. Not to mention all of the rules and regulations and the possibility of having to deal with club politics.

Last edited by fliers1; 11-08-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
I read on one club's website that it will take 50 - 15 minutes lessons to start, to solo. Another website said that the quickest anyone took to learn was 22 hours. No one could blame a parent for not wanting to make all of those trips to the flying field so their kids could learn how to fly RC airplanes. Not to mention all of the rules and regulations and the possibility of having to deal with club politics.
OTOH, we have a couple of teens who soloed in a couple of hours.

CR
Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by Charley
OTOH, we have a couple of teens who soloed in a couple of hours.

CR
If it were possible if every club were able to teach newbies so quickly, maybe we wouldn't be in the fix we're in today.
Imagine 2500 AMA clubs able to solo beginners in a couple of hours instead of months and years. I'm sure many would applaud such a large and relatively sudden influx of new blood in their ranks,
but just as sure some might not.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:57 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by fliers1
If it were possible if every club were able to teach newbies so quickly, maybe we wouldn't be in the fix we're in today.
Imagine 2500 AMA clubs able to solo beginners in a couple of hours instead of months and years. I'm sure many would applaud such a large and relatively sudden influx of new blood in their ranks,
but just as sure some might not.
When it comes to human behavior, to get someone to do something ... something we'll call "the right thing," then you have to make it easy. So if AMA's desire is to have people join clubs, they have to find ways to make it easy. Every additional requirement, real or perceived, take a chip out of the "easy" part of the discussion. As I've said for years, the strongest reason for joining AMA is that is it's a gateway to the club field. Which makes joining the club "the right thing." Look at what are things that make that harder:

- Cost (in my area, $100 in addition to AMA's $75)
- Distance from home (logistics, time committment, parental taxi service)
- Time getting there (see above, when mixed in with soccer, baseball, football, and homework)
- Time while you're there (waiting for 40% 3D guy to stop hovering over middle of runway while youngster tries to fit in flying lesson between soccer, baseball, etc.)

If "doing the right thing" is learning to fly and joining a local club, which by extension means joining AMA, then I argue AMA needs to take a vested interest in reducting the detractors above.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM
fliers1

When it comes to human behavior, to get someone to do something ... something we'll call "the right thing," then you have to make it easy. So if AMA's desire is to have people join clubs, they have to find ways to make it easy. Every additional requirement, real or perceived, take a chip out of the "easy" part of the discussion. As I've said for years, the strongest reason for joining AMA is that is it's a gateway to the club field. Which makes joining the club "the right thing." Look at what are things that make that harder:

- Time getting there (see above, when mixed in with soccer, baseball, football, and homework)
- Time while you're there (waiting for 40% 3D guy to stop hovering over middle of runway while youngster tries to fit in flying lesson between soccer, baseball, etc.)

If "doing the right thing" is learning to fly and joining a local club, which by extension means joining AMA, then I argue AMA needs to take a vested interest in reducting the detractors above.
For all intents and purposes, AMA more than likely has no means to make the club promotion/training process easy. If it were possible for AMA to make it easy, maybe the problems causing the hobby's decline would be solved.
Imagine if someone would actually send in a plan to make it easy. Does anyone think that those at AMA headquarters would listen? lol
They seem to stuck in the past when aeromodeling was the premier activity for their generation. They continue to plead with the membership to promote the hobby but apparently it's not working.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

Misleading information.

Franklin, I have on several occasions pointed out to you that a youth AMA membership is NOT 75.00 but you still keep throwing that figure out when we talk about youth in our hobby. Under 18 have always had a reduced rate! To the best of my knowledge, all clubs offer reduced rates if not outright free membership for youth as well. My current club offers youth membership for free. I can't help but conclude that you are either intentionally trying to mislead people or you are quite forgetful.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:07 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Misleading information.

Franklin, I have on several occasions pointed out to you that a youth AMA membership is NOT 75.00 but you still keep throwing that figure out when we talk about youth in our hobby. Under 18 have always had a reduced rate! To the best of my knowledge, all clubs offer reduced rates if not outright free membership for youth as well. My current club offers youth membership for free. I can't help but conclude that you are either intentionally trying to mislead people or you are quite forgetful.
The vast majority of modelers are adults paying adult memberships. I have never seen a "youth" at a club field who wasn't also accompanied by an adult. Just because your club does it one way doesn't mean ALL clubs do it that way. Every club I've belonged to offered reduced rate youth membership ONLY when sponsored by an adult member. Usually a family member who may or may not also fly.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting back on the OP topic.....how was the attendance?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
The vast majority of modelers are adults paying adult memberships. I have never seen a "youth" at a club field who wasn't also accompanied by an adult. Just because your club does it one way doesn't mean ALL clubs do it that way. Every club I've belonged to offered reduced rate youth membership ONLY when sponsored by an adult member. Usually a family member who may or may not also fly.

Fair enough, how about we get a bit more specific. In Franks last post he claims that the club in his area costs 100.00 a year to join for a youth member and that AMA is 75.00 for the same young person. He add in having a parent provide transportation and makes comments about other activities such as football, soccer etc. I have already posted proof that AMA for anyone under 19 is FREE. Now what about his local club? Remember now he states that membership for EVERYONE is 100.00. Guess what? More misleading information. The State College R/C club actually looks like a well setup club and does have good programs. Right down to indoor flying. Take a look at the membership fees, quite enlightening.

Join SCRC
Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 PM
speedracerntrixie

Default State College R/C Club dues for minors.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 AM
Appowner
Banned

Fair enough, how about we get a bit more specific. In Franks last post he claims that the club in his area costs 100.00 a year to join for a youth member and that AMA is 75.00 for the same young person. He add in having a parent provide transportation and makes comments about other activities such as football, soccer etc. I have already posted proof that AMA for anyone under 19 is FREE. Now what about his local club? Remember now he states that membership for EVERYONE is 100.00. Guess what? More misleading information. The State College R/C club actually looks like a well setup club and does have good programs. Right down to indoor flying. Take a look at the membership fees, quite enlightening.

Join SCRC
One example out of what the AMA claims to be over 2000 clubs.

I know a club out in BFE. They have access to a 12,000 foot paved runway 24/7 except on Saturdays. No dues. No field duties. No AMA. Just go and fly. Ah but, going there. That's the trick!

You can not hold one club on high as an example and declare it to be the norm. In NOVA one of the top notch clubs in the AMA was a scant 30 miles from my house. Minimum hour drive just to get there. Pick the wrong time of day or not see there's an accident (daily) and it can take you 3 hours or more. Such is the commute in NOVA. Living there for 29 years I visited that field once. Just was not worth the hassle when I had a renegade site a few miles away.

Every place is different. You can not compare your club to that club. If you can give away youth membership, more power to you. Some clubs I'm sure can not. Having been the president of two AMA clubs and held various other positions over the years. I am well versed on fiscal gyrations clubs go through. Does the club own or lease their flying site? Is the lease just show, i.e. $1 per year. Or do they pay a proper sum per month? Do they have restrictions of any kind such as model size, noise, types of models, time of day for operations, etc? Are they near a major metro area or out in the sticks? This and more plays into the fiscal needs of any club and translates into the dues schedule. And no two are exactly alike so you end up comparing apples and pears.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
speedracerntrixie

Appowner, how many screen shots of club dues requirements for a junior member is required for you to accept that discounting those memberships is standard practice? Give me a number and I will gladly oblige if that is really what is required for you to accept it.

That however is not the point of my previous post. Look at Frankie’s quoted post again. He is clearly misleading people. His claim that a teenagers AMA dues is 75.00 and the club membership for teenagers is 100.00 “ IN HIS AREA “ are false! The fact are right in front of you, how are you going to ride in and defend him this time?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Appowner, how many screen shots of club dues requirements for a junior member is required for you to accept that discounting those memberships is standard practice? Give me a number and I will gladly oblige if that is really what is required for you to accept it.

That however is not the point of my previous post. Look at Frankie’s quoted post again. He is clearly misleading people. His claim that a teenagers AMA dues is 75.00 and the club membership for teenagers is 100.00 “ IN HIS AREA “ are false! The fact are right in front of you, how are you going to ride in and defend him this time?
AMA membership for juniors has been free for quite some time. I signed my daughter up six years ago when she was three. Our club offers a discounted rate of $18/yr for a junior member - under 19, or under 25 if a current student at university or tech school.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Appowner
Banned

Where have I said they weren't? I was simply pointing out that holding up one club as an example does not automatically mean ALL clubs are the same. But then, that wouldn't fit in with your argument now would it?

Please point out specifically where he says that? And quote the ENTIRE post. I would hate to accuse you of taking things out of context.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Getting back on the OP topic.....how was the attendance?
Not much luck there, tailskid. Too subtle!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM
speedracerntrixie

Appowner, the entire quote as asked. Are you really going to tell me this does not have misleading content? Not only the misrepresentation of AMA and dues for Franks local club but the implication of a 40% airplane hovering over the runway. You refuse to accept that discounted memberships for junior members is typical for almost all clubs but seem to readily accept that every club has issues with huge model airplanes hovering over the runway? When was the last time you witnessed such a thing on a normal open fly Saturday or Sunday?

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 11-14-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.