Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA telling Law Enforcement they CAN act...

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA telling Law Enforcement they CAN act...

Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
I was in Morocco supporting an annual exercise when I got a Moral ride on the COD out to the Kennedy. Spent a few hours out there. Got the 3 hour tour! And took the COD back to the base in Morocco.

I think that was the year a B-52 went on a run against the Kennedy at wave top level. Even the F-16s refused to fly as low as the BUFF which was leaving rooster tails from the 4 engine pods. Would have loved to have seen that.
Okay now you both are making me jealous. My only flight off the Kitty Hawk was in a Sea King. I never got a "cat" or "trap"
Old 01-06-2019, 06:24 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Figured I'd reply to this one as well.
He can't say that because he wasn't there too, his father was. Then again, someone that never had to deploy on an aircraft carrier or, for that matter, work around 20 mm gatling guns, rockets, missiles, bombs, torpedoes and the possibility of nuclear weapons wasn't really there either. Must have been nice to have his father home most nights after working his shift. When I went out, it was for at least a week during training cruises and 6 to 7 months during a full deployment. Maybe Speed would like to do what I did, take showers in water that smelled like JP-5(otherwise known as jet fuel), share a bedroom with 30+ other guys in bunks stacked three high while working 12 hours on 12 hours off for weeks on end without a break. After 45 days straight at sea, the Navy would throw us a "Steel Beach Picnic" which amounted to a three hour BBQ with two cans of beer per man(San Miguel Beer, made on the island of Luzon outside of Manila) that reeked of formaldehyde and tended to put the person that drank it in the head(on the toilet) for a couple of days afterwords. Doesn't that sound like fun?
I did AF Combat Communications for 4 years. While our deployment tempo was no where near yours. We went places all around the Med and established temporary Comm wherever the higher ups wanted it. It consisted mostly of short trips, 10-21 days usually. But sometimes we had maybe 3 days between trips. Set up on the beech in Israel supporting Ollie North when he went to Iran. Provided a Satellite link for Reagan when he went to Europe. Been shot at in the Sudan. Also did do a stretch in Egypt for 6 months. Got home to Germany a week before my wife gave birth to our first.

Also maintained an AF Loran site for 4 years. Another 4 years maintaining Tacans, VORs and ILS'. And a final 4 years in WHCA. Now that was a deployment tempo!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay now you both are making me jealous. My only flight off the Kitty Hawk was in a Sea King. I never got a "cat" or "trap"
It was interesting! I enjoyed it. For me the "cat" was the worse simply because we were sitting backwards. But they both induced one of those grins!

And if it helps any, I did a trip to/from the Nimitz in a launch. This was right after the Iran rescue attempt. Nimitz first port of call was in Germany. A friend got permission to re-enlist on the flight deck. I think the Captain saw it as a small moral booster following the failed rescue. Anyway, an AF NCO is sworn in by an Army O-3 on the deck of the Nimitz. Pretty neat actually. Some of the crew turned out and they had a cake and punch. And of course the flags were there.

Seems like more than 70 feet when you're going up all them steps from the launch too! Whew!

Last edited by Appowner; 01-06-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did AF Combat Communications for 4 years. While our deployment tempo was no where near yours. We went places all around the Med and established temporary Comm wherever the higher ups wanted it. It consisted mostly of short trips, 10-21 days usually. But sometimes we had maybe 3 days between trips. Set up on the beech in Israel supporting Ollie North when he went to Iran. Provided a Satellite link for Reagan when he went to Europe. Been shot at in the Sudan. Also did do a stretch in Egypt for 6 months. Got home to Germany a week before my wife gave birth to our first.

Also maintained an AF Loran site for 4 years. Another 4 years maintaining Tacans, VORs and ILS'. And a final 4 years in WHCA. Now that was a deployment tempo!
I have a friend who worked combat com in the AF, had a similar story to yours. I have nothing but respect for anyone who's landed in hostile territory and at times was under fire. I was shot at in Manila, kind of changes the way you look at things. Gee, Tacan, VOR and ILS, I worked on the other end of those systems. Too bad GPS is taking some of those systems are being made obsolete. Glad to hear you liked being in my world for a few hours. When you're on a warship, going up and down ladders is just a way of life. My "rack was under the angled deck on the O-2, in the area that overhung the water. To go eat, it was down 3 and across the ship to the starboard side, flight deck was up two, my shop was either up one/down one or down two/up two, either way I had to cross the ship to the starboard side. Needless to say, it's something you learn to live with, considering there is even a procedure you have to follow to get around the ship during General Quarters. It's up and forward on the starboard side, down and aft on the port side and, if you try to go the wrong direction, plan on getting squashed since there's no room to squeeze by the flow of people.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a friend who worked combat com in the AF, had a similar story to yours. I have nothing but respect for anyone who's landed in hostile territory and at times was under fire. I was shot at in Manila, kind of changes the way you look at things. Gee, Tacan, VOR and ILS, I worked on the other end of those systems. Too bad GPS is taking some of those systems are being made obsolete. Glad to hear you liked being in my world for a few hours. When you're on a warship, going up and down ladders is just a way of life. My "rack was under the angled deck on the O-2, in the area that overhung the water. To go eat, it was down 3 and across the ship to the starboard side, flight deck was up two, my shop was either up one/down one or down two/up two, either way I had to cross the ship to the starboard side. Needless to say, it's something you learn to live with, considering there is even a procedure you have to follow to get around the ship during General Quarters. It's up and forward on the starboard side, down and aft on the port side and, if you try to go the wrong direction, plan on getting squashed since there's no room to squeeze by the flow of people.
Yep! In the Sudan we were on an Embassy Evac mission. Only mission I ever went on where the pilot told us to chamber a round in our weapons before landing. Usually that would be an AF Bozo No No! In the end they decided not to evac but, we had several C-130s nose to tail on a secondary runway where we set up our compound. About 1,000 yards from the terminal. Third day there we heard the "thwak" of a round hitting aluminum skin. They were shooting from the roof of the terminal. They weren't accurate enough to take out a person except by pure luck. But they could hit our rides home. We didn't like that. After 5 days, well....................the sniping stopped.

One year we went to Morocco the day before Thanksgiving. So we packed 2 turkeys in dry ice in mobility bags. When we got there we realized we had no way to cook the birds. Then we realized we had a bunch of Hickory Tent Stakes. So we dug a fire pit. Ran a ground rod spit through the birds and wrapped them in aluminum foil someone had. For seasoning we raided a whole bunch of MREs for their salt, pepper and tobasco. Turned out pretty good. Definite moral booster.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here was home for 6 months on the Egypt deployment. Warm and warm running putrid water. Don't worry. The side effects will clear up by the time you head home.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:42 PM
franklin_m

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It was interesting! I enjoyed it. For me the "cat" was the worse simply because we were sitting backwards. But they both induced one of those grins!

And if it helps any, I did a trip to/from the Nimitz in a launch. This was right after the Iran rescue attempt. Nimitz first port of call was in Germany. A friend got permission to re-enlist on the flight deck. I think the Captain saw it as a small moral booster following the failed rescue. Anyway, an AF NCO is sworn in by an Army O-3 on the deck of the Nimitz. Pretty neat actually. Some of the crew turned out and they had a cake and punch. And of course the flags were there.

Seems like more than 70 feet when you're going up all them steps from the launch too! Whew!
On the way home from my very first deployment, 1989, I was re-enlisting officer for a group of our squadron Sailors aboard the Arizona memorial. We did it about 0700. Very special experience.

As for the 70 foot walk. Imagine doing that after a night on the town!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post

On the way home from my very first deployment, 1989, I was re-enlisting officer for a group of our squadron Sailors aboard the Arizona memorial. We did it about 0700. Very special experience.

As for the 70 foot walk. Imagine doing that after a night on the town!
That would be a great way to Re-up. I have only been sworn in once by an AF officer. The rest were all Army. One at the processing center, the second was an EOD Captain. The last was a Nurse my wife and I are good friends with. Remaining one was my boss at the time, an AF O-2. I never made it to Hawaii. Had a friend who was in Photo Intel and spent half his career on the islands. Meanwhile I froze my butt off for 18 months in Alaska. Rest of the time I was CONUS or Germany. 89 is when I started my sunset tour with WHCA. Where have the years gone?

How long do you think before we'll see someone arrested and in the news for illegal flying? (just to get back on topic)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:38 AM
franklin_m

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be a great way to Re-up. I have only been sworn in once by an AF officer. The rest were all Army. One at the processing center, the second was an EOD Captain. The last was a Nurse my wife and I are good friends with. Remaining one was my boss at the time, an AF O-2. I never made it to Hawaii. Had a friend who was in Photo Intel and spent half his career on the islands. Meanwhile I froze my butt off for 18 months in Alaska. Rest of the time I was CONUS or Germany. 89 is when I started my sunset tour with WHCA. Where have the years gone?

How long do you think before we'll see someone arrested and in the news for illegal flying? (just to get back on topic)
Years seem to fly by these days!

How long will it take? Don’t know. I suspect they’ll be looking to make an example out of someone and thus look for a very clear cut case. I probably play hardball more than most, so if it were me I’d be looking for an AMA member in violation - thus leveraging that to gain an advantage in any negotiations w/ AMA leaders.

Btw, I’m passing through Frankfurt today on the way to “Eastern Sh*t Hole-i-stan. They have these all over the airport.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:10 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An AMA candidate shouldn't be too hard to locate. Plenty of them stupid enough to post their accomplishments and intentions on line. They're not the perfection of behavior some on line would have you believe. Bonus would be to catch them at a club field. "But! But! The AMA said I could fly over 400 feet!"

Last time I was in that airport half of it was still Rhine Main Air Base. Been at least a couple of weeks now.
Saw a couple of kids, one on a crutch, coming up the escalator. As he got to the top the kid with the crutch raised it as if it were a gun and started to sweep the area like he was shooting. Polizei came out of the woodwork, beat the kid down and hog tied him in record time. Never did find out if the kid was a dumb American or not.

Never mess with the Polizei.

Have a safe trip.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On a lighter note back on the subject of carrier decks. A former co- worker said he was on the deck of the USS (the name escapes me now), when the Captain decided it was time for the old piano in his quarters to go. So they shot it off the deck with the catapult. May be an old tale handed down of questionable accuracy, but I got a chuckle out of picturing that.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Stickslammer View Post
On a lighter note back on the subject of carrier decks. A former co- worker said he was on the deck of the USS (the name escapes me now), when the Captain decided it was time for the old piano in his quarters to go. So they shot it off the deck with the catapult. May be an old tale handed down of questionable accuracy, but I got a chuckle out of picturing that.
I've always wondered if that's how they disposed of Bin Laden when they dumped him at sea?

Military are known for our, shall we say odd sense of humor? I had two satellite vans that needed to be painted camouflage. My crew jumped to it with rattle cans and an unusual zeal. A couple of days later as we rolled out of the compound, a Major on the 3rd floor of the building across the street noticed that painted in the camouflage was a Bulls Eye on one van and the Peace symbol on the other. They were of course erased the next day.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've always wondered if that's how they disposed of Bin Laden when they dumped him at sea?

Military are known for our, shall we say odd sense of humor? I had two satellite vans that needed to be painted camouflage. My crew jumped to it with rattle cans and an unusual zeal. A couple of days later as we rolled out of the compound, a Major on the 3rd floor of the building across the street noticed that painted in the camouflage was a Bulls Eye on one van and the Peace symbol on the other. They were of course erased the next day.
I can say for certain that he wasn't shot by catapult. There are customs that are always followed when someone is buried at sea. If a deceased had religious beliefs that could be honored, they were. IF someone dies at sea today, that person will be returned to their family if at all possible.
In the case of bin Laden, he was buried at sea for two reasons:
1) the US didn't want a martyr for al qaeda to rally around
2) the US didn't want to start a civil war over who would have possession of his corpse
Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can say for certain that he wasn't shot by catapult. There are customs that are always followed when someone is buried at sea. If a deceased had religious beliefs that could be honored, they were. IF someone dies at sea today, that person will be returned to their family if at all possible.
2) the US didn't want to start a civil war over who would have possession of his corpse
I know but, it was a thought. I directly participated though at a distance in several parts of the story from beginning to end. I had friends in the World Trade Center. I saw the Pentagon up close hours after the attack. I had 2 co-workers on that plane. A flight attendant on that plane was the mother of a good friend of my daughters. There was a 5th plane that never got off the ground at Dulles. A class mates fiance was on that plane. In the end I found myself being QA&T on a software package being used to locate him. And I'm happy to say it helped.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also had friends at the WTC. They got into the lobby but didn't go up. If they had, they would have been among the victims. Personally, I would have preferred him being blown up, just like his victims.
The group I felt sorry for were the passengers in the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. Had one person with any aviation experience been on board, they probably all would have survived. I know I could have kept that plane in the air and got it on the ground in one piece, without any prior flight training. The problem that plane had was, when that wrestler pulled the hi-jackers out of the cockpit, the autopilot was deactivated and the plane was put into a dive. Had one person taken control of that plane, all of the passengers would have lived.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
While I would agree that 10 years ago park flying an electric model would have been considered a good public outreach approach. I also beleive that the attitude of the general public towards any UAS is different now. We can blame the media in part for that and of course some irresponsible pilots. That again is another reason why the popularity of the hobby is on the decline, the media spin on the hobby as a whole.
And this is where, in my opinion, the AMA made the biggest mistake. NOT stepping up and CLEARLY distinguishing the difference between a "model aircraft" and a "drone".

By not stepping up and clearly and loudly creating separation, and clearly defining "us", they allowed the general public, media and many of our Federal lawmakers to lump us all together and create "one size fits all" legislation.

Again, in my opinion, this is where the AMA completely failed its membership and the future of our hobby.

Instead, they were busy trying to figure out how to appropriate ONE MILLION dollars of "our" money to purchase an indoor flying site in Muncie. BRILLIANT!

Regards,

Astro
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since Bin Laden was the mastermind of 9/11 , I'd have been just fine with it if they shot him alive out of a torpedo tube into a school of sharks ....
Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since Bin Laden was killed during the raid, shooting him from a torpedo tube while still alive wasn't going to happen. For all we know, though, it's possible that he did end up in a school of sharks. What many don't know is that food scraps on navy ships generally go over the side where, in many cases, various sea creatures wait for it to be dumped. IF sharks were following the ship Bin Laden was taken to, it is possible he didn't make it to the bottom in one piece. Since it's probably not something the Pentagon wants revealed, we may never know what ship he was taken to or where he was buried at sea.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, personally I wish they had brought him back for trial and a public hanging. I understand the reasons they did what they did. But then, I'm also in favor of nuking Mecca.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, personally I wish they had brought him back for trial and a public hanging. I understand the reasons they did what they did. But then, I'm also in favor of nuking Mecca.
Sorry, no nukes, A few 2,000lb bombs will do nicely
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry, no nukes, A few 2,000lb bombs will do nicely
I actually came up with that idea back when our Embassy in Tehran was being held hostage. My thought was, hold Mecca hostage. Threaten to nuke it. Granted, we very well might have to have done so. But I think the landscape of the Mid East would be considerably different today if we had. And I think it would all be for the better.