AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

No other options?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I see there are quite a few things that are pushing our hobby closer to the edge. Horizons business model being one of them. Now with the acquisition of Hobico, a brick and mortar hobby shop relies on Horizon for 75% of their inventory ( talking strictly airplanes here ). The problem with that is Horizon sells customer direct. Horizon gets distributor pricing while the hobby shop gets dealer price. That is about a 20% difference on most products. That gives Horizon much more head room to price competitively. The end result is that for the hobby shop to compete they end up having to settle for 15% to 20% mark up on things like kits, engines and radios. 30% to 35% markup on accessories and hardware. Very small margins compared to any other retail business. Then the hobby shop has to pay the staff, pay the rent and utilities and maybe some sort of advertising. It's no wonder hobby shops have been dropping like flies.

IMO if Horizon continues on its current path the hobby will just wither away. Take car dealers for example. Many of them have acres of inventory and huge showrooms. Why is this? Certainly we can shop and buy a car online right? They know that people buy on emotion. Going and looking at a car, talking with the dealer, getting excited about the purchase and most importantly, establishing an emotional connection to the car. The same thing used to happen in the hobby shops. I witnessed it happen every day when I was in the industry. Guys would walk into the store eyes big and say " WOW is that a Byron F-15? " or " Holy cow....you have a Mutiplex Alpina in stock! Next question: Can I look in the box? More times then not I was helping them carry it out to their car. This is what we have lost. I think that the smartest thing Horizon could do right now would be to start opening up Hobby shop franchises. Bring back the excitement of walking into a hobby shop. Make sure they have decent profit margins. Yes they would make less money in the short term but bringing the hobby back to health would give them a more sustainable income, not only for them but for dozens of hobby shops.

As far as glow engines are concerned, I too wish they were more popular. Problem is that there just aren't many good ones left. Yes Saito and YS are still solid choices for 4 strokes but OS 4 strokes have suffered quality issues as has the entire line. I haven't bought a new engine in years. Gone are the quality engines of Rossi, Webra, Supertiger, Enya, Picco and OPS. I did however just get a new ST .61 ABC off eBay, rebuild an OS .61 VR and a YS 120 NC for a few airplanes that need to be given new lives.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yes, for the good old days.

3. President’s Report (Rich Hanson)

• Rich Hanson’s involvement in the government relations endeavor has backed off a bit. Thanked Chad Budreau, Tyler Dobbs, and Angie Martin for their hard work. • He attended Australian Nats (MAAA) in New South Wales. Was like stepping back into time. Was impressed by how the community welcomed the modelers. All events took place in close proximity. The Australian FF community purchased a 70-acre ranch for FF events. Community businesses were welcoming. There was a wine and cheese reception by the mayor of the town. The MAAA hosted a “Night Scramble” and a banquet for all attendees. • Australia hired a modeler to head up their equivalent of the FAA’s UAS integration office and uses a community-based organization system to set rules. Where there is a conflict between drone rules and MAAA, MAAA members are exempted from the drone regulations.• Also joined Bryan Wood (D-XI) in Anchorage AK for a huge event at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. The organizers (primarily Steve Culligan) brought Quique Sominzini to the air show to perform a demonstration. The event included make-and-take pneumatically launched rockets, drones, demonstrations, etc. There was a state-wide meeting of modelers and he also had meetings with various NAA sporting groups and discussed FAI and procedural issues. Discussed like interests and possibilities of active interactions.• Plans to go to a meeting with the Drone Advisory meeting on the West Coast.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
Oh yes, for the good old days.

3. President’s Report (Rich Hanson)

• Rich Hanson’s involvement in the government relations endeavor has backed off a bit. Thanked Chad Budreau, Tyler Dobbs, and Angie Martin for their hard work. • He attended Australian Nats (MAAA) in New South Wales. Was like stepping back into time. Was impressed by how the community welcomed the modelers. All events took place in close proximity. The Australian FF community purchased a 70-acre ranch for FF events. Community businesses were welcoming. There was a wine and cheese reception by the mayor of the town. The MAAA hosted a “Night Scramble” and a banquet for all attendees. • Australia hired a modeler to head up their equivalent of the FAA’s UAS integration office and uses a community-based organization system to set rules. Where there is a conflict between drone rules and MAAA, MAAA members are exempted from the drone regulations.• Also joined Bryan Wood (D-XI) in Anchorage AK for a huge event at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. The organizers (primarily Steve Culligan) brought Quique Sominzini to the air show to perform a demonstration. The event included make-and-take pneumatically launched rockets, drones, demonstrations, etc. There was a state-wide meeting of modelers and he also had meetings with various NAA sporting groups and discussed FAI and procedural issues. Discussed like interests and possibilities of active interactions.Plans to go to a meeting with the Drone Advisory meeting on the West Coast.
Wonder who paid for all this activity?
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 AM
franklin_m

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Wonder who paid for all this activity?
The AMA membership of course!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
The AMA membership of course!
Yep! Pretty obvious to you and me and a few others. Not so to the vast majority of the faithful. Sad really!