Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

It's the same old conversation over and over again...

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

It's the same old conversation over and over again...

Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default It's the same old conversation over and over again...

I was searching for some info on a plane I am about to start building and came across this. The tone, attitude, grammar, and mindset sounds exactly the same as many current conversations about the AMA and the aeromodeling hobby in general by the so called "experts."

"I agree with Mr Helmick about most R.C Flyers. You people are the most inconsiderate, egotistical jerks I ever met. I seen you cause people to loose Hying sites because the wise guy had to buzz a house on Sunday morning I seen you people step on a tree flight model that hap*pened to land in an area that you where Flying in. How you even can consider your sell Modellers when most ol you don't even build your own airplanes. The only reason why the hobby industry, magazines and AM A sanction most of your B.S. is because of BUCKS The free flight and control line where around long before the transmitter and receiver You even have the gaul to put R/C in a good old time tree flight model. What an insult to the fellow that designed it."

Published in RC Model Builder, 1980

So let's see- New=bad, check. It's all a vast conspiracy by the industry to make money, check. People who like new stuff are all jerks, check. We were here before you were, check. Youngsters with their newfangled toys are ruining the hobby, check and double check, hurting our image with the public, check.

So what's my point? If you've read this far, hopefully I have you attention. History shows that this guy was wrong. Sure, the hobby changed, in some ways for the better and other ways for the worse. But it has adapted, survived, and even thrived. The constant complaining about drones will likely sound just as silly 39 years from now as the hobby will undoubtedly change, but will again adapt and hopefully thrive for years to come. I think this curmudgeon missed out on some good fun and some good friends by thinking this way. Let's don't repeat his mistakes.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The guy is obviously a scholar.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately, he does make some statements that ring true today. They include:
  • The free flight and control line where around long before the transmitter and receiver
  • How you even can consider your sell Modellers when most ol you don't even build your own airplanes
  • The only reason why the hobby industry, magazines and AM A sanction most of your B.S. is because of BUCKS
Now, as for the rest of his rant, that's all it is. There is a lot of BS going on, many don't build anything, just buy and fly, FF and CL is almost gone in most areas. It's too bad that some of those that call themselves model aviators don't do anything for themselves other than spend money on toys molded in China
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a rant, no doubt. It just struck me how natural this whole letter would sound posted on RCU today. Aside from the mentions of RC as new, there is nothing about it that would tip you off that it wasn't about the current drone conversation from someone claiming to represent the majority.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, it's the same old story. Just more viral today thanks to Al Gores Internet.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
I agree, it's the same old story. Just more viral today thanks to Al Gores Internet.
Al Gore did not say he invented the internet. He promoted and supported it.

But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”:
Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Apparently the sarcasm was lost on you. Fact is, in the early 2000,s I worked with a guy who Still had an active account on ARPANET. Yes, even then it was still active.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Apparently the sarcasm was lost on you. Fact is, in the early 2000,s I worked with a guy who Still had an active account on ARPANET. Yes, even then it was still active.
It's just so many actually believe that is what Al Gore really claimed. BTW, I did recognize the possibility of sarcasm.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
It's just so many actually believe that is what Al Gore really claimed. BTW, I did recognize the possibility of sarcasm.
As far as I know, AL Gore is the only one who believes Al Gore said that!

I was on staff in that White House. Could only take it for a year.

Last edited by Appowner; 02-09-2019 at 10:05 AM.