Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Local Airport / My club - what Airspace are we in?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Local Airport / My club - what Airspace are we in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 AM
LouieB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Airport / My club - what Airspace are we in?

This might be a bit off topic for the AMA forum but since my club is an AMA club I have a few questions that perhaps the GA pilots here can answer for me. We have not had any issues with the local airport over the years; they know of us and we of them and when one of the GA pilots strays over us we see and avoid. I have noticed though there has been an issue since last year with a few of there planes being under 400 and approaching our club field and then turning away within a hundred yards or so. I expect they see us in the air but I am also concerned that they may be testing us.

We fly within about 2.5 miles of this airport:

https://airnav.com/airport/W13

How do I identify what airspace this is?

Is my club field considered a 'fixed site' per 349/44809?

Are there any provisions in the HR 302 or FAA regulations for club fields to be permanently identified to local airports?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what info I see it's class G uncontrolled up to 699 feet. 700 feet and up is class E controlled.

Look at the chart. See the magenta border around the airport? That tells you it's class G. Good idea to get a sectional covering your area and learn how to read it. At least the basics. I'd go to the FBO on the airport and explain to them what you're trying to do and see if they can then help explain things. You can probably purchase a sectional from them too. Makes for good neighbors.

Added safety you should paint a big X on each end of your runway. Just to let the big boys know it's closed to GA.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM
LouieB

Thanks for the information. I understand that they are aware of us and at one time, when they had a glider operation there I have been told the glider pilots would land on our field as an out. Never been any problems before but I am a little over cautious and sometimes concerned when I see a change in flying habits from the airport.

I once belonged to another club that that was probably 12 or so miles from us and on some Sundays there was a GA pilot that would fly over us repeatedly. All this country side to fly over and he would pace over our field for a while, leave, return, leave. We always avoided the plane but I always wondered what his 'angle' was.

Our field is not a strip per se as much as it is just a big field. Crops on one end and us on the other.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 AM
Appowner
Banned

Reading a sectional can be rather daunting for the first timer. Which is why I suggested to go to the local airport and simply ask for help. It establishes good rapport and demonstrates to the full size guys that like them, you are simply trying to legally enjoy a hobby. Never know where that next friend might come from.

So many modelers today seem to think we need to hide in the bushes and not make ourselves known to anyone. Nothing could hurt us more. The more we interact with the rest of the aviation community, the more we'll be accepted by them and even helped by them. And all of aviation will be stronger for it.

But we need professionals at our upper levels of interaction. Not country hicks.

Last edited by Appowner; 02-21-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2.5 miles in which direction? There is a charted approach segment to the northwest,.the edge of which almost matches the heliport along the road. The approach is into Shenandoah Valley Regional.

The AMA at some point had a letter that was to be completed by the Club Officers and taken to the Airports within a certain-mile radius to come up with an agreement. I do not recall what was the radius.

I have an app on my phone called AirMap. This breaks down the sectional charts into somehting a little more useful for RC pilots. (the sectional chart lines are not two blocks wide). It will tell you exactly where you are standing on the sectional. Very useful for drone pilots and will take the guesswork for recreational pilots.

Rafael
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
2.5 miles in which direction? There is a charted approach segment to the northwest,.the edge of which almost matches the heliport along the road. The approach is into Shenandoah Valley Regional.

The AMA at some point had a letter that was to be completed by the Club Officers and taken to the Airports within a certain-mile radius to come up with an agreement. I do not recall what was the radius.

I have an app on my phone called AirMap. This breaks down the sectional charts into somehting a little more useful for RC pilots. (the sectional chart lines are not two blocks wide). It will tell you exactly where you are standing on the sectional. Very useful for drone pilots and will take the guesswork for recreational pilots.

Rafael
I believe 5 miles is the radius. And the apps are nice for those of you who own a cell phone.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:40 PM
LouieB

trbl attaching an image ....
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieB
trbl attaching an image ....
Hit the button "Go Advanced" below, and on the page that loads, hit the button "Manage Attachments".

Rafael
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

am betting it was his post count not high enough the first time he tried.

15 is the majik number.