AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

identification #'s

Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default identification #'s

I saw a document a couple of days ago that one of the bullet points was that your model required the identifier # issued by FAA and your AMA number. Does anyone know what document I was looking at. Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't know what document you were looking at but since it cites both the FAA # and the AMA #, it was no doubt an AMA declaration. Legally all you need is the FAA# and it comes from the FAA and the FARs. Legibly on the outside of the model somewhere. I use a small font and stick mine on the fuselage side under the stab.

AMA # is something dictated by the AMA. I have yet to see it enforced for anything other than a contest. Most clubs don't want to get into policing for numbers.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default numbers

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Don't know what document you were looking at but since it cites both the FAA # and the AMA #, it was no doubt an AMA declaration. Legally all you need is the FAA# and it comes from the FAA and the FARs. Legibly on the outside of the model somewhere. I use a small font and stick mine on the fuselage side under the stab.

AMA # is something dictated by the AMA. I have yet to see it enforced for anything other than a contest. Most clubs don't want to get into policing for numbers.
Yes it was I found the AMA blog-
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...g-requirement/

I just generally follow directioins-I am a member of AMA and therefore will abide by its rules and also the US Government as a citizen of the USA-thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 02:29 PM
LouieB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From the AMABLOG ...
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft

FAA is indifferent about the AMA number and since the AMA does not care to police the legal requirement for the FAA number. I see no need for any club to police the placement of the AMA number. As there are those in my club that refuse to register with the FAA they can well expect a visit from the FAA should the club decide the AMA number is to be placed on the outside of my plane.

And ... as the AMA is seeking a waiver from the FAA over the outside placement of the FAA registration number for those that may be 'burdened' I expect they need to simply forgo the expectation of outside placement of the AMA number.

From the AMABlog
AMA will be submitting comments to the FAA requesting a waiver process for those who might be burdened by external markings, such as members who fly scale replica model aircraft.

I do not mind meeting requirements of the FAA and to some extent, the AMA but I don't deal well with obvious 'stupid'. AMA should expect the exterior placement of the AMA number on all models or none of the models. Don't make a special class that is excluded. All or none.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's always been internal, that hasn't changed as far as AMA

If you are a scaler and want to comply you can try this.
https://callie-graphics.com/collections/faa-numbers

Scale judging for competition will likely ignore any FAA numbers, that is judged as if they are not there, at least that is the route Top Gun is taking, I suppose NASA/AMA scale would follow suit.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your AMA number is not required to be on the outside of your plane.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 AM
franklin_m

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
It's always been internal, that hasn't changed as far as AMA
Not true. As a CD I'm sure you're just forgot about these CL rules:

"The entrants AMA MAAC license must be permanently affixed to the upper right-hand wing surface at least 1" high prefixed with either ‘N' (USA) of C, CF (Canada)." - emphasis added

or in another spot:

"The contestant’s AMA number should appear as part of the scalelike license number on the upper right-hand wing. It may be preceded by “N’’ at the contestant’s option (emphasis added)."
Old 03-02-2019, 04:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We weren't discussing control line (emphasis added) as they aren't covered by the FAA marking rules
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 AM
franklin_m

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
We weren't discussing control line (emphasis added) as they aren't covered by the FAA marking rules
You made a declarative statement, w/o qualification, that AMA number was not required externally. As a CD I'm sure you understand the importance of precise wording, especially when dealing with matters of organizational rules.