Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I've been to many places where the members are so into their own little "clicks" that when someone new comes in, they will actually turn a cold shoulder to the newcomer. I saw that very thing weekend before last. A group of people from my area went to another area for an event. The wife and I were totally ignored by people we thought were our friends for the entire weekend because we are not part of their little group. They had a potluck dinner, an after party after the evening's event and never even tried to associate with us. It happens in all activities so I can totally believe Fliers1 story about how things go at the flying field
That's unfortunate and especially being people you knew. Did the people from the other area treat you with respect and consideration? You cannot judge a club by how guests treat other guests that is sort of hit an miss. How the host club treats guests to me is the tale of the tape.

I have traveled to many clubs in the US and I cannot speak with enough enthusiasm for the generosity and welcome from every club and its US members I have had the pleasure to visit. All of my visits have been unannounced drop ins, sometimes running into a few sometimes I was lucky to hit an event. More than a few times like you there was a pot luck meal and though we had nothing to offer the wife and I were always invited and made welcome.

I love traveling in the US and Canada dropping in where ever I can find people flying just to check it out. If I'm lucky enough I am able to get some flying time in. (I always manage to smuggle at least one flying machine on any trip the wife and I take) After all these years she just rolls her eyes and shakes her head. LOL I got a keeper.

Dennis
Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
That's unfortunate and especially being people you knew. Did the people from the other area treat you with respect and consideration? You cannot judge a club by how guests treat other guests that is sort of hit an miss. How the host club treats guests to me is the tale of the tape.
Dennis
Yes, the people from the host club were great. Others that we knew from other areas were a lot of fun as well. It was just that small group from our home area, some belonging to our own club, that were an issue. This group would best be described as new pilots barely able to fly a full house Kadet on their own thinking, because they took a crash course in aerobatics, they can fly a 33% Extra like a competition pilot. The results are the same in this case, they go for a while and then crash due to lack of experience. What's really bad is they won't listen to those of us that really can fly that 33% Extra, the one's that have paid their dues in time and training, because another couple that doesn't have much more experience than the rest of the group tell them they are as good as the wife and I are, which they are not.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Propworn

You can't please everyone enjoy the company that you get along with and don't concern yourself about those others. If you let them spoil your fun then they have won.

Dennis
Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
You can't please everyone enjoy the company that you get along with and don't concern yourself about those others. If you let them spoil your fun then they have won.

Dennis
Trust me, they ARE NOT spoiling our fun. What they don't realize is that, by sticking with their little group, they aren't getting any better. They have become so dependent on each other that they don't know how to actually do for themselves. When the wife an I go to an event like two weeks ago, we actually try to be with others that we don't normally see just to prevent ourselves from getting dependent on others. At the same time, however, we don't give those we see often the cold shoulder since it just alienates you from those people. Then again, this little group seems to be afraid to get out of their "comfort zone". For example, the wife and I are going to a convention in Georgia later this year. While several of that group are retired, not one of them will go with us. Some claim it's too far to go, others say they can't afford to go, etc. What it really comes down to is if they all can't go, none will go. What this group doesn't realize is that, by staying home, they are missing out on what the activity really has to offer. We've met people from all over the world and have standing invitations to go to Japan, Australia, England, Denmark, Germany and Sweden. In the same vein, we are going on a cruise to Alaska next year with a group from British Columbia. None of the little group will go, again for the same lame excuses.
I think that, to an extent, the same thing is happening at the flying field. People get their little groups and don't want to have others impose on their version of fun. I see it at the pond when I go to race my boat. You see the same people setting up together, sharing food, launching and recovering for each other, but rarely associating with others outside of their little "click". Things like this are very common and, if you stand back and watch, it tends to be very obvious
Old 04-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Propworn

Quite honestly I have never paid much attention. If a few buddies and their wives prefer each others company over mingling with the group as a whole who am I to care overly much. It simply might be their comfort zone. Perhaps they are or have become good friends outside the hobby as well and simply prefer each others company. There is too much going on within my interests to spend much time thinking about it. It doesn’t mean I have to take offence at not being included. I still say hello and am friendly but I don’t expect the wife or I to be included in their activities. No big deal. The part about them not advancing their skill set, well that’s their loss it doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the activity.

Dennis