Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

identification #'s

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

identification #'s

Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default identification #'s

I saw a document a couple of days ago that one of the bullet points was that your model required the identifier # issued by FAA and your AMA number. Does anyone know what document I was looking at. Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what document you were looking at but since it cites both the FAA # and the AMA #, it was no doubt an AMA declaration. Legally all you need is the FAA# and it comes from the FAA and the FARs. Legibly on the outside of the model somewhere. I use a small font and stick mine on the fuselage side under the stab.

AMA # is something dictated by the AMA. I have yet to see it enforced for anything other than a contest. Most clubs don't want to get into policing for numbers.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Default numbers

Originally Posted by Appowner
Don't know what document you were looking at but since it cites both the FAA # and the AMA #, it was no doubt an AMA declaration. Legally all you need is the FAA# and it comes from the FAA and the FARs. Legibly on the outside of the model somewhere. I use a small font and stick mine on the fuselage side under the stab.

AMA # is something dictated by the AMA. I have yet to see it enforced for anything other than a contest. Most clubs don't want to get into policing for numbers.
Yes it was I found the AMA blog-
https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...g-requirement/

I just generally follow directioins-I am a member of AMA and therefore will abide by its rules and also the US Government as a citizen of the USA-thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 02:29 PM
LouieB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the AMABLOG ...
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft

FAA is indifferent about the AMA number and since the AMA does not care to police the legal requirement for the FAA number. I see no need for any club to police the placement of the AMA number. As there are those in my club that refuse to register with the FAA they can well expect a visit from the FAA should the club decide the AMA number is to be placed on the outside of my plane.

And ... as the AMA is seeking a waiver from the FAA over the outside placement of the FAA registration number for those that may be 'burdened' I expect they need to simply forgo the expectation of outside placement of the AMA number.

From the AMABlog
AMA will be submitting comments to the FAA requesting a waiver process for those who might be burdened by external markings, such as members who fly scale replica model aircraft.

I do not mind meeting requirements of the FAA and to some extent, the AMA but I don't deal well with obvious 'stupid'. AMA should expect the exterior placement of the AMA number on all models or none of the models. Don't make a special class that is excluded. All or none.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

It's always been internal, that hasn't changed as far as AMA

If you are a scaler and want to comply you can try this.
https://callie-graphics.com/collections/faa-numbers

Scale judging for competition will likely ignore any FAA numbers, that is judged as if they are not there, at least that is the route Top Gun is taking, I suppose NASA/AMA scale would follow suit.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your AMA number is not required to be on the outside of your plane.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It's always been internal, that hasn't changed as far as AMA
Not true. As a CD I'm sure you're just forgot about these CL rules:

"The entrants AMA MAAC license must be permanently affixed to the upper right-hand wing surface at least 1" high prefixed with either ‘N' (USA) of C, CF (Canada)." - emphasis added

or in another spot:

"The contestant’s AMA number should appear as part of the scalelike license number on the upper right-hand wing. It may be preceded by “N’’ at the contestant’s option (emphasis added)."
Old 03-02-2019, 04:53 AM
BarracudaHockey

We weren't discussing control line (emphasis added) as they aren't covered by the FAA marking rules
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 AM
franklin_m

We weren't discussing control line (emphasis added) as they aren't covered by the FAA marking rules
You made a declarative statement, w/o qualification, that AMA number was not required externally. As a CD I'm sure you understand the importance of precise wording, especially when dealing with matters of organizational rules.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I know this thread has been dormant for almost two months but, in this case, I figure I can revive it for a day or two.
I stopped at a LHS on the way to work today and found an April 2019 monthly news letter of one of the local flying clubs. This club, an AMA "Gold Leader", has a statement under new business that clearly states that ANY FLYING MODEL OVER .55 LBS MUST HAVE A VISIBLE FAA NUMBER DISPLAYED ON THE OUTSIDE. There was nothing mentioned about having an AMA number anywhere on the aircraft so I can only assume that the AMA either isn't forcing clubs to enforce having an AMA number on aircraft or the club isn't going to enforce something that isn't required legally
Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Haven't spent any time researching this concern but just occurred to me now - has anyone here ever been approached by Federal authorities and been asked to show their FAA #'s on their aircraft?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 AM
maximusminimus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H5606
Haven't spent any time researching this concern but just occurred to me now - has anyone here ever been approached by Federal authorities and been asked to show their FAA #'s on their aircraft?
Nope.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I printed my FAA number and stuck next to the landing gear where its visible if you pick it up and look for it. I have my AMA number and my name and phone number inside my Fuesledge on the sides. When you joined the AMA years back you used to get a label from them for this purpose but now you have to hunt it up on their website to print it up.
Michael Johnston
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Stickslammer

Default G-Man

Heh Heh, I`m sure a lot of us are conjuring up the image of a black SUV pulling up at the r/c airfield, and the guy in the black suit and dark sunglasses coming up to you and whipping out his badge and saying "I`m with the FAA and I`m here to help".
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM
BarracudaHockey

I've had a regional FAA guy show up at our field.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before any FAA registration was required but I have seen local, state and federal authorities at flying sites on a number of occasions. It happens in the greater DC area and around military installations.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I've had a regional FAA guy show up at our field.

Was he there in an official capacity?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The FAA has no enforcement arm or anything else to keep up with this. It is a "self policing" deal as far as it reads to me.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The FAA has no enforcement arm or anything else to keep up with this. It is a "self policing" deal as far as it reads to me.
They don't need an enforcement arm. The local LEOs are all they would need if you're violating the laws, in the FAA rep's opinion
Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
They don't need an enforcement arm. The local LEOs are all they would need if you're violating the laws, in the FAA rep's opinion

This is correct. Several years ago while a buddy of mine was flying a 40% aerobatic airplane a Cessna 180 came over our field from behind and at approx 500'. My buddy immediately dropped down until the Cessna was a safe distance away and then he proceeded to continue his IMAC sequence. The Cessna soon returned and this time announced that he was a CHP patrol aircraft. Right after he landed and we walked the airplane into the pit area a couple of CHP cars showed up at the field and approached us. The air unit had informed them that we had broken the 400' altitude limit. This was back in 2007! No such limit at that time just the advisory. I tried to explain that to the officers but they were not having it and threatened to site us.

That being said, I feel this was a fairly unique situation. Local law enforcement is only going to respond to complaints. The odds of someone calling in a complaint for someone flying a model airplane is pretty small IMO, even smaller if flying at a club site. Then the dispatcher will assign the call a low priority above other " crimes " being called in. The reality is back to being something that is rarely going to be enforced.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 PM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

Was he there in an official capacity?
Fact finding. He left with very positive attitude about our operations.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I am so glad the Federal Railroad Administration has no jurisdiction over my model railroad.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:35 AM
jcmors

Talking

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I am so glad the Federal Railroad Administration has no jurisdiction over my model railroad.
You had to say that didn't you. If anyone from the Federal Railroad Administration reads this they will start adding up the registration fees and other money they cold be taking in from model railroaders, errr excuse me sURS (small unmanned railroad systems) it won't be long before you will need registration numbers on the outside of each railroad car.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if you build live steam engines you have to be a licensed boiler maker and operator. I missed the steam age by 25 years but to see a little scale steam locomotive running around a large outdoor layout is really cool! I could be wrong there
Michael