Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Official FAA Authorization Document - Flight in Controlled Airspace

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Official FAA Authorization Document - Flight in Controlled Airspace

Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
Hey Propworn, If you`re ever around Portland, Maine in your travels, check out Ray and Robins Hobby Shop and/or Propsnappers R/C club. That's where I got my Sig LT 40 and where they taught me to fly it. It`s a real nice grass field.
Unfortunately I have to make the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and Portland is a bit of a swing south this trip. I will be crossing at Ivy Lea/Wellesley Island, through the Adirondack Mountains and across the top of White Mountain National Forest to Bangor then to St Johns New Brunswick then to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry to Newfoundland. I have plotted and will try to visit a half dozen or so model fields along that part of the trip. I have allocated 5 days to work my way across to the ferry so it should leave me some time to meet, hopefully fly at some of the fields and sight see along the way. Really looking forward to the trip across that part of the US. Then a month in Newfoundland before heading back home.

Dennis
Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Unfortunately I have to make the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and Portland is a bit of a swing south this trip. I will be crossing at Ivy Lea/Wellesley Island, through the Adirondack Mountains and across the top of White Mountain National Forest to Bangor then to St Johns New Brunswick then to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry to Newfoundland. I have plotted and will try to visit a half dozen or so model fields along that part of the trip. I have allocated 5 days to work my way across to the ferry so it should leave me some time to meet, hopefully fly at some of the fields and sight see along the way. Really looking forward to the trip across that part of the US. Then a month in Newfoundland before heading back home.

Dennis
If you're into history, you might want to check out the HMCS Sackville on the Halifax waterfront. She is the last surviving Flower class corvette and is moored just outside of the naval base in Halifax.
If you want to see a natural oddity, while you're in St Johns, you should check out the "Reversing Falls". At high tide, the falls are completely under water and the river actually runs away from the harbor. As the tide begins to go out, the river starts flowing back toward the harbor and the falls reappear. It's actually fun to watch the water change directions and the rock formations slowly rise out of the water as the tide goes out. Just a couple of suggestions though I would recommend you don't go to either place when a cruise ship is in port as it tends to get a little crowded. BTW, the Sackville gets moved into the naval base for the winter and during times of inclement weather as the wife and I discovered when we were in Halifax just prior to Hurricane Sandy hitting the area in late October 2012. We "rode out" the storm in Quincy Massachusetts before seeing some of the damage it caused across that state as well as Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
If you're into history, you might want to check out the HMCS Sackville on the Halifax waterfront. She is the last surviving Flower class corvette and is moored just outside of the naval base in Halifax.
If you want to see a natural oddity, while you're in St Johns, you should check out the "Reversing Falls". At high tide, the falls are completely under water and the river actually runs away from the harbor. As the tide begins to go out, the river starts flowing back toward the harbor and the falls reappear. It's actually fun to watch the water change directions and the rock formations slowly rise out of the water as the tide goes out. Just a couple of suggestions though I would recommend you don't go to either place when a cruise ship is in port as it tends to get a little crowded. BTW, the Sackville gets moved into the naval base for the winter and during times of inclement weather as the wife and I discovered when we were in Halifax just prior to Hurricane Sandy hitting the area in late October 2012. We "rode out" the storm in Quincy Massachusetts before seeing some of the damage it caused across that state as well as Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Did my basic training in Cornwallis, spent time stationed in Greenwood visited quite a few places when I was stationed out there. Even played mud football in the red mud when the tide was out. What a hoot.

The wife and I did the Cabot Trail and New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in a motor home on our honeymoon. We always wanted to do Newfoundland and some 40 years later we are going to do it. Next year we are looking at going to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories figure to float fly off the Bearing Sea. Might even be a first for RC.

Then there is the Trans Labrador Highway for another trip LOL!

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 06-06-2019 at 03:49 PM.