Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What If?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
There's any number of clubs shut down around the country. I asked the FAA about altitude limits for a couple notable upcoming events, as if I go, I want to make sure that I'm legal.
Just out of curiosity, what was the FAA's response on this?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if the FAA showed up?
Do you mean they would actually pull themselves out of the $1000 office chair and actually travel somewhere to do a little research?
Not when they've got a luncheon with Boeing reps about how to pass off the 737Max8 again.
We're dealing with bureaucrats. Expect nothing else.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got a good chuckle out of that one jollyroger. However local FAA types in Central California are pretty field active and good folks to boot.Some time ago an out of town full scale pilot flew low over our field while departing a nearby uncontrolled airport. He later called the FAA complaining. When FAA guy asked him what the NOTAM said he tried to bluster his way out as he had not checked. End of discussion. FAA called our club president to notify of closed complaint, said not to worry. Our flying site has been at that location for 25+ years, city officials and airport manager grant us permission every new calendar year. FAA has known our location all that time as well.

Lastly all 37 club members have proper I.D.'s on their models so if FAA does drop by we are in full compliance.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Dick T. It's nice to hear a story of the system working from time to time.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jollyroger
Do you mean they would actually pull themselves out of the $1000 office chair and actually travel somewhere to do a little research?
Not when they've got a luncheon with Boeing reps about how to pass off the 737Max8 again.
Trust me, the FAA and Boeing aren't going to be able to brush anything under the rug with the 737. Too many other countries have that plane grounded so, until the plane is proven to be safe to all of the other countries, it's not flying anywhere. In fact, Boeing is stacking them up at just about every facility they have just to keep the assembly line running. I would be willing to bet that the 737 won't be flying until it's proven to be "perfect" because, if it's not, Airbus will be getting hundreds of orders to replace the planes Boeing hasn't delivered
Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Boeing certainly erred with initial software and redundancy issues with the MCAS system but once discovered proved fixable. Complacency in both areas of design and within the cockpit created a willingness to rely too heavily on technology. Design arrogance disallowed redundancy of stall indicators feeding data to flight computers, deficient pilot training in overriding the MCAS system or simply turning it off (or pulling circuit breaker if available).

While Boeing and pilot training can fix the issues, politics are are playing a larger role in the continued grounding of the 737MAX8. Likely Airbus investors are pressuring the process in hopes of gaining sales via negative Boeing publicity. The FAA is a bureaucratic organization susceptible to influence, positive and negative.

The misunderstanding and misapplication of technology today feeds right into the dumbness and laziness of human beings. Witness self driving cars, Tesla's auto drive feature (with more auto makers planning) so one can sip coffee and read while zooming along at 80mph. Our own hobby technology precludes actually learning how things fly or drive. Just throw it into the air or drive it across a surface until it breaks then dump the broken pieces back onto the hobby shop or call tech support to say it doesn't work.

Technology is fun and wonderful when properly used. Unfortunately human beings usually muck up the works.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Boeing certainly erred with initial software and redundancy issues with the MCAS system but once discovered proved fixable. Complacency in both areas of design and within the cockpit created a willingness to rely too heavily on technology. Design arrogance disallowed redundancy of stall indicators feeding data to flight computers, deficient pilot training in overriding the MCAS system or simply turning it off (or pulling circuit breaker if available).

While Boeing and pilot training can fix the issues, politics are are playing a larger role in the continued grounding of the 737MAX8. Likely Airbus investors are pressuring the process in hopes of gaining sales via negative Boeing publicity. The FAA is a bureaucratic organization susceptible to influence, positive and negative.

The misunderstanding and misapplication of technology today feeds right into the dumbness and laziness of human beings. Witness self driving cars, Tesla's auto drive feature (with more auto makers planning) so one can sip coffee and read while zooming along at 80mph. Our own hobby technology precludes actually learning how things fly or drive. Just throw it into the air or drive it across a surface until it breaks then dump the broken pieces back onto the hobby shop or call tech support to say it doesn't work.

Technology is fun and wonderful when properly used. Unfortunately human beings usually muck up the works.
Your middle paragraph basically explained what I was saying in my previous post. Neither Boeing or the FAA can release the plane until all the other countries that grounded it are happy, something Airbus as well as the French and British governments (since they both actively subsidize Airbus) will most likely try to drag out. There is no denying Boeing rushed the Max into production, not wanting to be outdone by the Airbus plane that was re-engined, with the same engine. It's sad that it took two crashes and 346 people dying to show the plane, and the system that certified it, were flawed. With millions of passenger miles and dollars lost by airlines that purchased the plane, it was not just Boeing that gambled and lost this time.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Complacency. Remember Aloha Air, the space shuttle, Alaska Air? All prime examples of it. This word should be on everyone`s mind when it comes to safety.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread drift......
Old 08-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by tailskid
Thread drift......
When do we not have thread drift?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jollyroger
They had quite a presence at the Iowa airshow last weekend. Apparently they left very impressed by our operations.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to contribute to the thread drift, although it seems most of this thread has been a slug-fest between Franklin and Speed.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
Sorry to contribute to the thread drift, although it seems most of this thread has been a slug-fest between Franklin and Speed.
It was initially, not so much any more. Neither has been in the thread for weeks