Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Acknowledges 400 foot AGL Limit in Class G

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Acknowledges 400 foot AGL Limit in Class G

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
On second thought, I'm not going to engage you on this topic. The RCU moderation have asked us to keep the activities of RCG off this site. You can keep posting off topic against their request if you want but I'm not going to.
So you just make long virtue signaling post about “kindness” but weave in disparaging comments about me? You know, the whole “manipulating” section?

You get away with it because the standards were not even handedly applied. You knew that, then continued it here with the post above knowing you’d get away with it. Like I said, you gave me the incentive to put energy into various legislative and political communication efforts I would not have considered.

“Sherman’s March to the Sea”
Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hello Dave Agar , you have said there will be no personal attacks allowed , so can you please tell me and the rest of the board why this poster has been allowed to post trolling personal attacks against another RCU member (Franklin M) in this thread since the thread's very beginnings ? Yes sir I would like to see the thread's discussion be returned to the topic of the the AMA acknowledging the 400 foot AGL limit in class G airspace VS seeing it be about Dennis' personal grudge against Franklin , and if your now the one to do the moderating around here I think censuring Dennis' anti Franklin posts would be a great place to start . I want you to know that my post here isn't meant to be anything more than a request that ALL of the posters be required to maintain the decorum of people who are supposed to share an interest in the AMA and model aviation , and not holding every member , Dennis included , to the rules of RCU is a recipe for nothing but more off topic thread derailing bickering .

Thank You for reading this
Actually, it wasn't all a shot at Franklin. A major part of it was at me as well.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

It would appear there are case by case exemptions for 400 feet

Whaddayaknow
Old 12-17-2019, 02:35 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by barracudahockey
it would appear there are case by case exemptions for 400 feet

whaddayaknow

this one needs some accompanying explanation/examples
Old 12-17-2019, 03:21 PM
BarracudaHockey

It will be forthcoming but its great news from a cooperative effort of AMA staff, some local clubs, and the FAA
Old 12-17-2019, 04:14 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It will be forthcoming but its great news from a cooperative effort of AMA staff, some local clubs, and the FAA
Rejoice! The RC Demi-Gods at AMA HQ got a win for all modelers ... oh, that’s right ... it’s just for a few. And by no means it will happen at the majority of clubs.

I’m sooooo sure this will reverse the AMA’s declining member trend right? Again. Doesn’t do a lot of good or have a handful of exceptions if you can’t pay the bills.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:51 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like great news Andy. I'm looking forward to seeing more details. I'm expecting that my two main fields located in class G airspace shouldn't have any issues obtaining exemptions.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:35 PM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would appear there are case by case exemptions for 400 feet

Whaddayaknow
Yes, and the only entity that will be able to submit such cases to the FAA is the AMA. They have already submitted one for the Muncie site (them first), but that's going to tough due to the GPS RWY 32 approach......
​​​​​​​

Old 12-18-2019, 03:38 PM
sideshow

Old 12-18-2019, 04:41 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshow
Yes, and the only entity that will be able to submit such cases to the FAA is the AMA.​​​​
Where did you get this information? Can you substantiate that? It doesn't align with anything that I have read anywhere..

Astro
Old 12-20-2019, 01:35 PM
TMooreATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news.

https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publica...PulNe-J975h_nI
Old 12-20-2019, 07:15 PM
franklin_m

We need to be careful what we wish for. If AMA is successful in negotiating approvals for flight above LAANC altitudes, that will establish “no kidding rules” that will need to be followed. It could also mean FAA reporting (to HQ) of violations.

Now multiply this by all the fields that get this. What happens when FAA goes to AMA and says “We see X violations of the agreements around the country at your sanctioned clubs/events and we want to know what you’re doing to reduce them?” AMA can’t say “We didn’t know.” Maybe AMA says “Well, each AMA club is independent .... “ to which FAA says “Then why are we bothering to talk to you at all?” Can’t have it’s both ways is what I’d be thinking if I were FAA.

Now, say a competitor takes a different approach than AMAs typical “Hands off.” And they respond to FAA’s question along the lines of “Yes, and our records show a few more near violations that aren’t in your data. We’ve engaged with the clubs showing unsatisfactory compliance and asked for additional measures and or re-training on the limits at those sites. We’ve completed this at all but one, which will be done next month.”

Now. Which of the two organizations do you think FAA would rather work with? Which sends the signal that “We’re watching ourselves and holding ourselves accountable w/o being asked? So I think AMA would be wise to have some system in place to know how many, nature, and dates there are per location.

Gee. Where have we heard that idea before?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:54 PM
speedracerntrixie

I will agree that whatever the FAA gives us will most likely be monitored by them more then it has in the past. I will agree that it would be best if the AMA supplies them with that information. I seriously doubt that the FAA has the manpower to be spot checking any flying fields once the dust settles on all this. They may investigate reports though. I don't see an AMA member reporting another AMA member unless there is an unrelated feud between two members. Putting a flying site at risk is not what 99% of us would do. Not going to comment if that is right or wrong but that is how it would play out. I still think you are over estimating the number of rules infractions happening on a regular basis. I may be wrong with this perception of yours but AMA club fields are not the " Wild West " situations you seem to claim they are.

One thing that came to mind a few days ago. You are under the impression that the AMA don't keep any incident reports. Perhaps not to the degree that you would wish for but there are records kept in the form of claims submitted to the AMA and their insurance carrier. I would have to venture a guess that is one of the reasons why the membership with liability insurance is only $75 per year. If there were more claims submitted then the insurance premiums would go up more then just to keep up with inflation. The rate should also reflect the history over the past 5 decades.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:22 AM
sideshow

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I will agree that whatever the FAA gives us will most likely be monitored by them more then it has in the past. I will agree that it would be best if the AMA supplies them with that information. I seriously doubt that the FAA has the manpower to be spot checking any flying fields once the dust settles on all this. They may investigate reports though.
I believe this is no and yes. The FAA doesn't have the personnel to monitor flying sites or quite frankly the equipment to do so. They will however investigate reports from full scale pilots about encounters with models of any sort. We had this happen to our club. The club president got a call from the local FSDO (Flight standards district office) about a near miss report with a model helicopter. FSDO is tasked with incidents and accidents for full scale aircraft.

I told our club president I'd talk to FSDO as I knew most of the people in that office. It turned out that the report was from another club that's in close proximity to ours. The full scale was very low and the facts of the report were very much in question but little of that matters. I told the guy I knew in FSDO that I would give a full briefing to the pilots in our club and we would closely monitor full scale traffic. The most important message being to NEVER fly anywhere near a full scale aircraft....regardless what they're doing.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:22 PM
scott page

Apparently Mr. Claus' application for a waiver from the FAA 400' rule was denied on the basis that his sleigh is for recreational use. It's unfortunate that being required to remain below the 400' ceiling may expose Mr. Claus to being spotted by sharp eyed children. Rumor is that Rudolf will not engage his nose to limit visibility. There is still the possibility that children residing in controlled airspace may not receive gifts this year as Mr. Claus is not allowed to operate his phone to secure LAANC permission while also operating his vehicle.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:01 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scott page
Apparently Mr. Claus' application for a waiver from the FAA 400' rule was denied on the basis that his sleigh is for recreational use. It's unfortunate that being required to remain below the 400' ceiling may expose Mr. Claus to being spotted by sharp eyed children. Rumor is that Rudolf will not engage his nose to limit visibility. There is still the possibility that children residing in controlled airspace may not receive gifts this year as Mr. Claus is not allowed to operate his phone to secure LAANC permission while also operating his vehicle.
Aw come on now , everyone knows Santa is just the frontman , and it's really the elves who do all the heavy lifting ....

Old 12-24-2019, 08:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

I live 1/4 mile from a very large shopping mall, I was expecting to see swarms of delivery drones by now but the air is silent. I suppose no help for Santa. The FAA and the big money stores promised Santa some help, where did it go?
Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

santas manned sleigh is not an UAS, so it does not even need a waiver of the 400 foot rule...
Old 12-25-2019, 12:00 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
santas manned sleigh is not an UAS, so it does not even need a waiver of the 400 foot rule...

Plus it is clearly a non-recreational flight.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:55 PM
scott page

Default 4 clubs with exception to 400' rule

I have had my inquiry regarding which clubs have received an exemption from the 400' rule.
All 4 sites are straddling the border of the controlled airspace.

They are:
  • Brookfield in Clarence, New York, (is partially in Class C airspace)
  • Fying pilgrims in MI, (is in Class D controlled airspace)
  • Music City Aviators in Nashville, (is partially in Class C controlled airspace)
  • Brunnerville PA. ((is partially in Class D controlled airspace)
Old 12-27-2019, 05:54 AM
BarracudaHockey

There ya go
Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM
astrohog

What altitude are they allowed to fly to?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:05 PM
scott page

Originally Posted by astrohog
What altitude are they allowed to fly to?
The AMA official I visited with did not know, but said he'd let me know when he did.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:18 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by scott page
The AMA official I visited with did not know, but said he'd let me know when he did.
strange that they were told they were granted an exemption, but it was quantified?

I hope this isn’t a case of the AMA making premature announcements/presumptions.

Astro
Old 12-28-2019, 04:37 PM
BarracudaHockey

It's not. They were granted exemptions.

Pretty sure I mentioned this before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.