AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What Does the Future Hold?

Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't said anything about the AMA in well over a month, that is until you posted " That is why I will never understand modelers who won't support AMA with their membership yet expect AMA to fight for all modelers . Representing us is not cheap, the more members AMA has then the more funds are available to represent us. More importantly the larger our voice is. It amazes me that some people fail to see this."
You have my response as to why I haven't and won't join. The organization is full of waste and, if I was running it, there would be a full house cleaning, meaning the immediate release of anyone that's not doing their job. That would start, no questions asked, with the website and magazine staffs
Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have every right to that opinion just as I have the right to mine. We are never going to change one another's mind so we may as well stop this bickering. Just to be clear, my post did not mention anyone by name. Fact is people are getting tired of the " AMA isn't doing their job" threads and getting tired of people's attitudes within these threads. You and I both have been warned multiple times. Yet in spite of that whenever I say anything that you could possibly link yourself to you come charging in guns blazing. It really is time for you to stop this nonsense before you get yourself booted out. If you don't agree with what I'm saying then just ignore it, all you are doing is making yourself look foolish and to a certain degree me as well. Just give it a rest already!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did give it a rest. You were the one that started this line of conversation when you said " That is why I will never understand modelers who won't support AMA with their membership yet expect AMA to fight for all modelers". I was giving you the reason why many, including me, won't spend the money.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Granted this is an open forum but that dialog was something that was said to Jester. Just like post 46 was you directing comments to Jester that I ignored. Everyone knows your stance on the AMA, there is no need to keep repeating yourself every chance you get. There is no need for you to beat your chest and declare you would immediately fire people.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a civilized conversation going. Let's keep it that way.
I can see Hydro's point that the AMA does some wasteful spending. It operates like a 70's era organization with a printed information source and focusing on owning pieces of physical property. I also see Speed's point that they are earnestly working on aeromodeling's behalf and deserve our support even if we don't agree with everything they do.
Myself, I see an organization that's in a tight spot, trying to serve all of its members. A lot of us like the magazine. I read it. And it does fulfill the requirement that every organization has to communicate what it's doing for its members. Without the magazine, they'd still need a newsletter or a regular email. It's another conversation whether that would be as effective. Probably not. I also see value in seeing contests and events covered. I wouldn't know anything about Joe Nall, Nats, Top Gun, CL or FF, pattern or scale competition without the magazine. It adds value to my hobby. But, of course, some see it as a waste of money because they aren't paying the AMA for information. To be fair, a magazine is more of a baby boomer and earlier generation way of getting information. The AMA may have to figure out something else as younger generations just click for what they want, whether it's actually better information or not.
On the broader topic of AMA's direction and use of funds, I don't envy the leadership. There are 4 distinct generations of AMA members right now, and they have vastly different values and priorities. AMA has straddled the fence the best they can, but have also taken flack for not picking a position on certain topics. I do think they've made good choices on representing us to the FAA. This is uncharted territory for them, and they got the FAA to nearly leave us alone entirely. For a first effort, I'm impressed.
I'm an AMA member. It's not much of a question for me as I fly at an AMA chartered field and am required to have the insurance. But even if I didn't, I still see value in what the AMA does for aeromodeling.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very well put Jester.