Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What Does the Future Hold?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What Does the Future Hold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's not a matter of failing to see it. It's seeing how the AMA also wastes a good chunk of the money paid in good faith by the members. You have been told time and time again how the AMA needs to drop several of their dead weights, starting with the magazine and retail divisions. I just can't see why you don't understand that one either, and yet you support their foolish spending habits without fail. Get the AMA to streamline things and cut the waste and maybe I could support it but, as of now, it's just not going to happen
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have been told many times by people with biased opinions. Unless I am able to see first hand exactly what is happening with any situation I hold my criticism. It's quite easy to criticize from the outside looking in and without 100% of the pertinent information. As I have stated, there is no such thing as a perfectly run organization, they all have room for improvement. Certain peoples broken record are not going to convince anyone of anything. Fact is the AMA have met all my expectations. I understand that not everyone can say that. There are companies that I refuse to support, that doesn't mean I'm going to be online everyday bashing them.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

I haven't said anything about the AMA in well over a month, that is until you posted " That is why I will never understand modelers who won't support AMA with their membership yet expect AMA to fight for all modelers . Representing us is not cheap, the more members AMA has then the more funds are available to represent us. More importantly the larger our voice is. It amazes me that some people fail to see this."
You have my response as to why I haven't and won't join. The organization is full of waste and, if I was running it, there would be a full house cleaning, meaning the immediate release of anyone that's not doing their job. That would start, no questions asked, with the website and magazine staffs
Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 PM
speedracerntrixie

You have every right to that opinion just as I have the right to mine. We are never going to change one another's mind so we may as well stop this bickering. Just to be clear, my post did not mention anyone by name. Fact is people are getting tired of the " AMA isn't doing their job" threads and getting tired of people's attitudes within these threads. You and I both have been warned multiple times. Yet in spite of that whenever I say anything that you could possibly link yourself to you come charging in guns blazing. It really is time for you to stop this nonsense before you get yourself booted out. If you don't agree with what I'm saying then just ignore it, all you are doing is making yourself look foolish and to a certain degree me as well. Just give it a rest already!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

I did give it a rest. You were the one that started this line of conversation when you said " That is why I will never understand modelers who won't support AMA with their membership yet expect AMA to fight for all modelers". I was giving you the reason why many, including me, won't spend the money.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

Granted this is an open forum but that dialog was something that was said to Jester. Just like post 46 was you directing comments to Jester that I ignored. Everyone knows your stance on the AMA, there is no need to keep repeating yourself every chance you get. There is no need for you to beat your chest and declare you would immediately fire people.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

We have a civilized conversation going. Let's keep it that way.
I can see Hydro's point that the AMA does some wasteful spending. It operates like a 70's era organization with a printed information source and focusing on owning pieces of physical property. I also see Speed's point that they are earnestly working on aeromodeling's behalf and deserve our support even if we don't agree with everything they do.
Myself, I see an organization that's in a tight spot, trying to serve all of its members. A lot of us like the magazine. I read it. And it does fulfill the requirement that every organization has to communicate what it's doing for its members. Without the magazine, they'd still need a newsletter or a regular email. It's another conversation whether that would be as effective. Probably not. I also see value in seeing contests and events covered. I wouldn't know anything about Joe Nall, Nats, Top Gun, CL or FF, pattern or scale competition without the magazine. It adds value to my hobby. But, of course, some see it as a waste of money because they aren't paying the AMA for information. To be fair, a magazine is more of a baby boomer and earlier generation way of getting information. The AMA may have to figure out something else as younger generations just click for what they want, whether it's actually better information or not.
On the broader topic of AMA's direction and use of funds, I don't envy the leadership. There are 4 distinct generations of AMA members right now, and they have vastly different values and priorities. AMA has straddled the fence the best they can, but have also taken flack for not picking a position on certain topics. I do think they've made good choices on representing us to the FAA. This is uncharted territory for them, and they got the FAA to nearly leave us alone entirely. For a first effort, I'm impressed.
I'm an AMA member. It's not much of a question for me as I fly at an AMA chartered field and am required to have the insurance. But even if I didn't, I still see value in what the AMA does for aeromodeling.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Very well put Jester.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
We have a civilized conversation going. Let's keep it that way.
I can see Hydro's point that the AMA does some wasteful spending. It operates like a 70's era organization with a printed information source and focusing on owning pieces of physical property. I also see Speed's point that they are earnestly working on aeromodeling's behalf and deserve our support even if we don't agree with everything they do.
Myself, I see an organization that's in a tight spot, trying to serve all of its members. A lot of us like the magazine. I read it. And it does fulfill the requirement that every organization has to communicate what it's doing for its members. Without the magazine, they'd still need a newsletter or a regular email. It's another conversation whether that would be as effective. Probably not. I also see value in seeing contests and events covered. I wouldn't know anything about Joe Nall, Nats, Top Gun, CL or FF, pattern or scale competition without the magazine. It adds value to my hobby. But, of course, some see it as a waste of money because they aren't paying the AMA for information. To be fair, a magazine is more of a baby boomer and earlier generation way of getting information. The AMA may have to figure out something else as younger generations just click for what they want, whether it's actually better information or not.
On the broader topic of AMA's direction and use of funds, I don't envy the leadership. There are 4 distinct generations of AMA members right now, and they have vastly different values and priorities. AMA has straddled the fence the best they can, but have also taken flack for not picking a position on certain topics. I do think they've made good choices on representing us to the FAA. This is uncharted territory for them, and they got the FAA to nearly leave us alone entirely. For a first effort, I'm impressed.
I'm an AMA member. It's not much of a question for me as I fly at an AMA chartered field and am required to have the insurance. But even if I didn't, I still see value in what the AMA does for aeromodeling.
I WAS AMA for many years. Until the day came when my club needed the AMA. And the AMA on that day REFUSED to fight for AMA members. And it wasn't much of an effort we asked for either. A single signature. OK, fine! The rest as they say, is history. I've been quite happy as a renegade.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Privacy is an illusion. Nobody is truly private. Snowden's leak showed us that the CIA has the tech and the will to snoop into all kinds of personal data. It all happens without our knowledge, and the vast majority of us never say or do anything that the government considers a threat. Drones aren't even our 5th or 6th biggest concern where privacy is concerned.
You're quite right. We have no privacy. Whatever website we go to, our cellphone calls, what we purchase, where we go are all noted and collected for later use.
If you have Alexa in your home, toss it out. Even the appliances now have interconnectivity including the internet.
Just consider the book 1984 where viewscreens are in every room of every house of every building.
Your credit card purchases are recorded, license plate readers, facial recognition and retinal scanning will be everywhere.
So worrying about flying a little quad will be the least of your worries.
Jackboots in the morning will be something to worry about.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Threads are not closed by request. Whether it is by the OP or not, doesn't matter; once the community comments in a thread, it's the community's thread, not the OP's.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by jollyroger
You're quite right. We have no privacy. Whatever website we go to, our cellphone calls, what we purchase, where we go are all noted and collected for later use. Your credit card purchases are recorded, license plate readers, facial recognition and retinal scanning will be everywhere.
So worrying about flying a little quad will be the least of your worries.
After deleting part of your post, now I can respond to it.
The wife and I used to routinely cross the US-Canadian border to attend weekend long events in our other hobby. On the third time heading to an event, we were stopped at the border, by a Canadian border guard, as per normal. What wasn't normal, however, was the questions we were asked. Instead of the usual
  • Where are you going?
  • are you leaving anything when you return to the US?
  • do you have__________ in your vehicle?
  • how long will you be staying in the country?
we were asked
  • headed to __________________?
  • another ___________________ festival?
  • going home Sunday? Have a good time!!
As you can probably tell, our answers from the previous two years had been entered into a data base and, when they entered our car's license number, they had all the information about our previous trips show up. It was actually harder to get back into the US than it was to go to Canada that trip.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:12 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

We are a very small niche hobby in the grand scheme of things, here are my 3 takes on the future

1.Those who want to fly will still fly one way or another either legally or illegally."outlaw"
2.Semi-Rural or Rural flying sites out away from urban areas will be like flying sanctuaries, you'll be able to fly legally or "outlaw" at those sites no problems. If you did all that is required and legal its all good, and if you fly "outlaw" in the sticks, i doubt the faa will bother you.
3. City/Urban flying will be where it will slowly die off, cause either you become legal and fly in the city, or you fly as a "outlaw flier", the current laws and upcoming laws will hinder the city fliers and fields, either people will respect the laws and jump through all the hoops and be legal fliers or people will just "outlaw" fly and let the chips drop where they may.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

You really want to know what's in our future:
More endless wars of aggression
Out of control spending
massive, unpayable debt
the collapse of America
A full on police state
The end of freedom and liberty
Forget about this hobby.
Only jackboots in the morning.
"Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn up around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add within the limits of the law because law is often the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." Thomas jefferson.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I`d like to see us get out of these countries we've been fighting and dying in for far too long. I think we need to protect our own borders. Does that make me an isolationist xenophobe?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
Yeah, I`d like to see us get out of these countries we've been fighting and dying in for far too long. I think we need to protect our own borders. Does that make me an isolationist xenophobe?
Nope, far from it.
That said, with the government thinking the US needs to be the world's policeman, protecting our borders almost has to start in other parts of the world to prevent events like 9/11. If terrorists aren't dealt with in their own back yard, eventually they will a be in ours.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Taking care of ourselves is what let WWII get so bad. Had the US of today existed back then, Hitler's reign would be little more than a chapter in some old German history book, unremarkable and brief. We'd have gotten involved when Germany invaded Belgium with France and England right with us. The final solution would never have happened, and millions would have survived that didn't.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that the final solution was our fault. I just think our resources could be better managed for the long haul. What about our crumbling infrastructure?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Where I see the government going wrong is in subsidizing so many second and third world countries where the food and humanitarian supplies are given to a very select few and the money gets funneled into a few government official's bank accounts. The US is over $1,000,000,000 in debt to several other countries, much of that being spent propping up petty dictators and corrupt governments. If those funds were used to pay off the national debt or rebuild our own infrastructure instead, the US would be much better off in the long run.