Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA membership interests

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA membership interests

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 02:15 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fliers1
Any projections how long AMA will stay in business?
In terms of turning our ears to the AMA rhetoric, I recommend we train ourselves to note how they describe membership numbers. For example, when they say "nearly 200,000 members," or "over 140,000 member," we need to remember that these numbers include all those "free" members the AMA gave away with little more than a stroke of a pen. So where I pay attention is when I read some measure of PAYING members, as those are the only ones that really matter from a financial survival standpoint. And of the paying members, those that matter most are the full price adult, followed by those members that enjoy small discounts, followed by those who enjoy discounts of 40% or more (park flyers and a proposal being considered by EC as of April).

I'm quoting these numbers off the top of my head, but they're likely pretty close. I want to say that as of 3 or so years ago, there was a quote somewhere that indicated 140,000 or so paying members. As of recent CFO column, it's down to around 110,000. I suppose there's a floor, and that declines aren't linear, but the point is they're heading down at a steady clip.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:20 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
In terms of turning our ears to the AMA rhetoric, I recommend we train ourselves to note how they describe membership numbers. For example, when they say "nearly 200,000 members," or "over 140,000 member," we need to remember that these numbers include all those "free" members the AMA gave away with little more than a stroke of a pen. So where I pay attention is when I read some measure of PAYING members, as those are the only ones that really matter from a financial survival standpoint. And of the paying members, those that matter most are the full price adult, followed by those members that enjoy small discounts, followed by those who enjoy discounts of 40% or more (park flyers and a proposal being considered by EC as of April).

I'm quoting these numbers off the top of my head, but they're likely pretty close. I want to say that as of 3 or so years ago, there was a quote somewhere that indicated 140,000 or so paying members. As of recent CFO column, it's down to around 110,000. I suppose there's a floor, and that declines aren't linear, but the point is they're heading down at a steady clip.
flyers1's experience with membership declines at clubs in his area indicates that a large percentage
of the members AMA claims as growth are off-field flyers who will be the first to go under the new rule.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:55 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

it has been held for a while now, that slightly more AMA members are not also club members than are club members. haven't ever seen any official pushback on that claim from the powers at the AMA
Old 06-08-2020, 09:50 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
it has been held for a while now, that slightly more AMA members are not also club members than are club members. haven't ever seen any official pushback on that claim from the powers at the AMA
I don't think I will renew with AMA when the new rule is final. I fly mostly off-site.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:49 AM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What happened with the new issue of Model Aviation??
Usually it is good for about 20 minutes then into the trash. This issue is actually a keeper, with many good articles - some good 'build' articles. I don't particularly find these really old school planes of interest to me but I did find MANY cool ideas within them. Gimlick's build primer is excellent, even for experienced people.
Maybe the magazine has some new blood? Or maybe they figure this is a good time to have a good issue with renewals coming up? Either way, I am encouraged.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Every year there's a "build issue" that features submissions like the ones you referenced plus kit built review or reviews. I did an Old School Modelworks Robinhood 80 kit build for last years, I'll admit, I had to brush up on stick building to get it done in time because it's been a while