Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why AMA or a club ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why AMA or a club ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:19 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why AMA or a club ?

For all those who seem to take a negative attitude toward AMA please step back and look again. You fly on a protected frequency because of AMA. If you have the time check the AMA safety rules. They aren't restrictive just common sense and you should hope that all members have read and will abide by them. You are free to disagree with the direction AMA takes at times, I do, but I still realize why we have it. I joined the first year AMA became a separate entity of NAA and I know what existed before then. It cost me a whole dollar. In those days it was about the equivalent of today's dues.
Same for the people who don't see the rationale that clubs can justify their existence.
If you go to a Town or City Council representing only yourself and ask for a space to be set aside for model aircraft you will receive smiles and nods and be told we'll see about it. You will have wasted whatever time you spent in the Council chambers. Just stay home and devote the same amount of time to building.
If a representative of a club repeats your performance and states that he represents X number of members, who are incidentally voters as well as modelers, he will at least get a respectful hearing. He can explain that because he represents an AMA chartered club that the city or town will be protected from liability by AMA provided insurance. If the club requires AMA membership it's a case of protecting the owner of the flying site from liability or losing any possibility of getting or keeping the site.
If the guy in the clubhouse forum still thinks all RC flyers are stupid or worse check your own attitude. If you can look into a mirror and see a beautiful person who is always right, always pleasant and has no personality faults, nominate yourself for sainthood. As I've said before I've been in this modeling hobby, probably before he got out of grade school, and most of the people I've met are the greatest, nicest and most helpful and apolitical anyone could have the honor to know. When I was just beginning I was in the same club as Bill Atwood, Irwin Ohlsson, the Bunch Brothers, Hal Atkins and Barney Snyder (Modelcraft) to drop a few names. When we flew they helped me many a time when I was learning the tricks of the hobby. I was the kid in the corner and I tried staying out of the way but they encouraged me any old how. I'm not claiming them as friends just acquantances. They probably wouldn't even know who I am now.
I doubt that clubs have changed much since then. I've always belonged to some type of modeling club and have never regretted one minute of it. To get somethng out of a club beside the benefits of a place to fly, try putting something back into it. Serve on a committee, take a turn as an officer, turn out for the work parties that keep your flying site usable. Your reward will be a much more pleasant time with RC or any other hobby you choose.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:38 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Why AMA or a club ?

Thank You!!!!

Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 03:18 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

my experience obtaining a city owned site for flying is exactly opposite from your example.
as an individual, i can use any city park, under their existing general liability protection, but as a club or organization, i am forbidden to use city property, without paying for ins similar to that required of the softball association and lease arangements similar to the softball groups.
a club would be highly detrimental to my use of city property.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:34 AM
ballgunner

Mongo please count your blessings. We could probably count on the fingers of one hand the places where such a situation exists. I can see in their reasoning an attempt to be fair to all clubs no matter what the hobby. I would still suggest membership in AMA for your own personal liability protection. If I was young enough to relocate I would consider Midland TX but you'd have to guarantee no tornados.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:48 AM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

We could probably count on the fingers of one hand the places where such a situation exists.
ballgunner

Please forgive me for interjecting. I really do not want to start a word fight or flame anyone at all.

Actually most municipalities allow model aircraft at their parks and could care less about AMA or even know that AMA even exists. AMA is working on that tho and if they ultimately succeed with thier agenda there will not be a single R/C aircraft flown without AMA getting its cut.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: I2DDD

We could probably count on the fingers of one hand the places where such a situation exists.
ballgunner

Please forgive me for interjecting. I really do not want to start a word fight or flame anyone at all.

Actually most municipalities allow model aircraft at their parks and could care less about AMA or even know that AMA even exists. AMA is working on that tho and if they ultimately succeed with thier agenda there will not be a single R/C aircraft flown without AMA getting its cut.
May we know the source of these facts?

Is this information you have "first hand knowledge" of from Sandy Frank? Is it his intent to have the AMA control the flying of every R/C aircraft? You seem to be willing to make other statements about his intent. Why not here? OR are you claiming to know the intent of EVERYONE on the EC or just the majority? At ANY rate, please substantiate your statement.

Please substantiate the statement that "most municipalities allow model aircraft". Are you talking about 29 cent gliders kids play with or RC aircraft?

This information may change my perception of you if you can back up the facts you have stated.

JR
Old 10-09-2003, 11:13 AM
zxcv11

AMA is working on that tho and if they ultimately succeed with thier agenda there will not be a single R/C aircraft flown without AMA getting its cut.
I really hope that this is not true.[:@][]

Brian
Old 10-09-2003, 12:17 PM
the troll
Banned

JR

The facts are:

Unless a municipality has restricted a particular activity...It doesn't matter if it is hitting golf balls or swimming or WHAT THE HELL EVER then it is not against the rules.

At all the towns that I have lived in, R/C planes were allowed and sometimes as now they are actually invited.

SORRY lost control for a moment
Old 10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: J_R

ballgunner

Is this information you have "first hand knowledge" of from Sandy Frank? Is it his intent to have the AMA control the flying of every R/C aircraft? You seem to be willing to make other statements about his intent. Why not here? OR are you claiming to know the intent of EVERYONE on the EC or just the majority? At ANY rate, please substantiate your statement.

Please substantiate the statement that "most municipalities allow model aircraft". Are you talking about 29 cent gliders kids play with or RC aircraft?

This information may change my perception of you if you can back up the facts you have stated.

JR
It is quite apparent that you, JR, have absolutely no sense of humor. You are pathetic. Go get you some lunch at Hooters maybe that will help some!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//SNIP//

JR
[/quote]

The SUBSTANTIATE DEMAND man is again DEMANDING the FACTS. Still waiting on your substantiation of some accounting allocations that you finally could only address with off-the-wall emotional ranting. Did you not ever use that magic 'phone with all the answers? Methinks you probably did but the answers were not what JR would have liked.

Actually JR what objectively focused rational person would give a tinker's-dam about your perception of them? That is the least thing in the world of any importance -- JR's perception!

Congrats on your new Governor. Just shows what people CAN do if the motivation is there. OTOH the Terminator is a poor excuse for a Republican, yet the idea of a change by the people cannot be discarded.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:46 PM
zxcv11

shows what people CAN do if the motivation is there
Amen to that.

B
Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: J_R

ballgunner

JR
It is quite apparent that you, JR, have absolutely no sense of humor. You are pathetic. Go get you some lunch at Hooters maybe that will help some!
Where I am, virtually no municipality will allow RC flying in a park. The city of Los Angeles has two parks where it is allowed, it is prohibited in the rest. Every other commuity in So. Calif, that I am aware of, has prohibitions in place, and may make an exception to the prohibition at a specified park.

One of the disadvantages of not showing your location is that none of us has any clue where you are, but, from your posts it is becoming apparent that it is in nevernever land.

I am glad to see though, that you characterize your claim of access to Sandy Franks intent as "humor". That is certainly the way I have viewed your claim all along.

JR
Old 10-09-2003, 01:04 PM
the troll
Banned

Again JR you twist the words. OH BTW WHERE YOU LIVE IS NOT THE NORM.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:06 PM
J_R

Another unsupportable statement?
Old 10-09-2003, 01:06 PM
zxcv11

Where I am, virtually no municipality will allow RC flying in a park. The city of Los Angeles has two parks where it is allowed, it is prohibited in the rest. Every other commuity in So. Calif, that I am aware of, has prohibitions in place, and may make an exception to the prohibition at a specified park.
JR---that stinks!!![:'(]
Well, guess I'll have to re-think movin' to good 'ole San Diego.
Looks like Florida....here I come!!
BTW....uh.....Are you an RC junkie if you decide where to move based on local flying availability??
Just wondering.[8D]

B
Old 10-09-2003, 01:47 PM
the troll
Banned

JR just wondering does typing cause cancer in Sillyfornia. LOL
Old 10-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, you are only an R/C junkie when you MOVE because the flying is better there than where you are.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:16 PM
ballgunner

I didn't bring up this topic to provide a reason for two members to snipe at each other. Personality clashes and name calling are not the spirit of RC. I know universal peace either worldwide or person to person is a dream of Utopia that will probably never be realized but we can hope for it. I believe my points are still valid. I'm sure that mongo himself most likely realizes he is in an unusual position. I'm happy for him and wish it were true nationwide. If you doubt my statement that his is an unusual situation please contact Joe Beshar or Wes Dicou and ask them why it is necessary for AMA to provide a Flying Site Assistance program. Sure there may be more places than you can count on one hand, that is just a figure of speech illustrating scarcity not a bald statement of fact.
The more sites that are provided in this manner the better off the RC world will be. From past experience I can tell you that mongo's situation is far from the norm. I for one, and I'm sure Wes and Joe would like the necessity for their programs to no longer exist. In the meantime let's stick to the subject and drop the name calling and personal invective.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:21 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: zxcv11
JR---that stinks!!![:'(]
Well, guess I'll have to re-think movin' to good 'ole San Diego.
Looks like Florida....here I come!!
BTW....uh.....Are you an RC junkie if you decide where to move based on local flying availability??
Just wondering.[8D]

B
Hey Brian-
It might change here. We got us a whole new Guvernator...you might have heard about that. Could be gummit for the protection of people from their own exercise of freedom is on its way out.
Besides, if you go to Floriduh, you'll be in AMA Dist V and all the other modelers will point at you and snicker.[:'(]

Abel
Old 10-09-2003, 03:31 PM
ballgunner

P.S. If you think that flying sites cannot be easily denied consider the plight of the ancient and honorable Thermal Thumbers club that lost Mile Square to another golf course. That site had been used since about 1946. It had been an OLF, outlying landing field for El Toro Marine base, given to Orange County post WWII.
First one golf course then baseball & softball and finally another golf course. This was one whole square mile and used by free flighters, sailplanes, wire flyers and RC pilots for years. They didn't have the votes to stop the people who wanted it, on top of which they didn't pay for it. I may be mistaken but I believe it was given to Orange County with the provision that it was to be for all types of public use. So much for governmental good will.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

ballgunner,
you would be welcome to relocate here.
and since 63, when i moved here, there has not been a single tornado in the city limits. we have had a few hit in the southern part of the county.
from what i have seen, most municipalitys are open to modeling in parks, lord knows that the park flyers got no where else to go on the day after Christmass or birthday.
and i agree, the arguements from other threads really do not have to spill over into every active thread.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:06 PM
zxcv11

You guys crack me up [8D]
I guess I should probably go find out if there are any laws here against flying in parks []
I hope not. I can fly on my land....but it would be more fun at the park!!('lil electris that is )

B.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:05 PM
the troll
Banned

Guys please excuse me. But just for the record my first post here was indeed on the subject matter at hand. It was JR that started throwing mud again.

Look guys I apologize for this and previous interjections on this topic
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 PM
abel_pranger

OK, you're excused. Now can we just drop it? I hope you can live with the issue of who-did-what-to-whom-first falling short of final determination. IMHO, most of the folks in the gallery can.
For my testy reply to your comments on a post of mine, please accept my belated apology.

Abel
Old 10-09-2003, 10:08 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

OK, you're excused. Now can we just drop it? I hope you can live with the issue of who-did-what-to-whom-first falling short of final determination. IMHO, most of the folks in the gallery can.
For my testy reply to your comments on a post of mine, please accept my belated apology.

Abel
Abel

If your apology is sincere...Sure I can accept it...but what do you mean by "short of final determination"?

Sorry guys but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.