Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The "Average AMA Member"? I think so.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The "Average AMA Member"? I think so.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The "Average AMA Member"? I think so.

Yesterday, I was staying later than usual at the field. With everyone leaving, I was going to do some mowing around the outer perimeter, parking area and roadside.

In came a small van with people. It was long time club member XXXX. As usual XXXX had his wife and 2 small sons. He proceeded to get a trainer together and B-Cord his sons for a bit. Then he was flying his chopper through some real maneuvers.

XXXX has belonged to the club for YEARS, at least before the Club moved to its own land some 7.5 years ago.

XXXX was one of the first really Big Bird fliers in the Club.
XXXX is an accomplished Heli. flier.
XXXX is a very safe individual.
XXXX IS a personable fellow and pleasant to talk with when he gets to know you.
XXXX always is ahead of time with AMA and Club dues.

XXXX seldom appears at the field during weekends or when a number of people are there.
XXXX NEVER participates in Club Activities, NEVER helps in any work details, Never attends club meetings, just pays his AMA & Club dues and flies whenever he chooses.

As an AMA member XXXX always gets his MA magazine and he always gets a Club Newsletter which has all the club business in it.

In discussion, he revealed that he was not aware that the club has Contracted Mowing and has had such for 4 years and was not aware of the Club's coming events.(N/L frequently)

In discussion, I mentioned Dave Brown and he asked, "Who the _ell is Dave Brown?"
(MA monthly)

There were several items he was not aware of concerning AMA/Club business.

OTOH he knew every supplier for specialized Heli and Big Birds, yet not aware of a couple area better hobby shops.

IMO, XXXX IS the AVERAGE modeler that does his thing as he wants to do it and above all, I think HE HAS A LOT MORE FUN THAN I DO![:@]
Old 10-16-2003, 08:00 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The "Average AMA Member"? I think so.

Horrace,

What exactly is the point of your post? Are you saying that you are frustrated that most individuals display the behavior you've described? I'm not trying to be funny or start a flame war, just seeking clarification.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:17 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

IMO, XXXX IS the AVERAGE modeler that does his thing as he wants to do it and above all, I think HE HAS A LOT MORE FUN THAN I DO![:@]
Well said, Hoss. Nice to see a candid, pragmatic view of reality expressed in counterpoint to the usual motherhood and apple pie. Problem I see with the latter is nothing can ever be ACKed as less than perfect, therefore no change can ever be warranted. No wonder incumbent officers are there forever.
Now then, if you have a contract for mowing, whay were you at the field late doing that chore? was the contract let to the low bidder, as is ever the case with my employer? Nothing at all hanging on this, just a curiosity over trivia. Like, why do drive-up ATMs have operating instructions in braille?

Abe
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: js3

Horrace,

What exactly is the point of your post? Are you saying that you are frustrated that most individuals display the behavior you've described? I'm not trying to be funny or start a flame war, just seeking clarification.

My last sentence IS the point.

Not at all. OTOH I do question my own motives. Some 100 kits and as many engines, plenty workshop area, great flying site, good buddies, yet I see the non-working, non-worrying having a ball, and I wonder why do I and others do this? Why not just build and fly and have fun with the family and get some more fishing in there? Again without the doers, that flying site would not exist, and without that site over 1/2 of the buddies would still be unknown.

Two good club officers saying NO for another year. Takes too much time, too much work, & too many rules to contend with.

There is definitely room for reflection, so just who is Joe Average? Definitely not in this forum by the numbers I see. What will happen to Joe Average without the Doers. What would happen to the sport without the Shakers and Movers?

So many questions, so few answers.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:55 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

that is the average joe. in any endeavour, not just our hobby. most would prefeer to "just let george do it" without ever caring or knowing who george is, or how he gets it done.
and in reality, i think most of the "georges" prefeer it that way too.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:36 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The old saying has it that 10% of the members do 100% of the work. I think it apparently applies in the case cited. One of the biggest problems to face the EC is to define the "average" AMA member. As proof look at MA. It tries to be everything to all modelers. It can't be done. By it's own admission AMA says that the largest number of members are in one form or another of RC. If you are going to average that out that would make the average member an RC pilot. Is most of MA devoted to RC? Not by a jugfull. However it does seem that the member base would fall off if it were limited to RC alone. Oh the dilemma.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Hossfly

>>>>>>
Now then, if you have a contract for mowing, whay were you at the field late doing that chore?
<<<<<<<<<

Have a group of members that does / contracts that chore.

Firm contracts and schedules. Open to bid each year and approved by Member vote.

I am one of that group.

Since program started, 3 tractor maintenance has been cut by 70% due to mowers all checked out on the equipment.
In addition the "chore'' gets done.

Some of us are NOT the average AMA member. Jetero is not the average club.
Spoke to Realtor/broker just yesterday and he said our land value was up some 400% since we bought it in Mar. '96.

I like that since I own 70 acres on 3 sides of the facility. Anyone need a 10 acre lot bordering a RC field?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:56 PM
SDR-Hammer

So you think this guy has more fun in the club being oblivious to it’s operations?

Heck yes!

As a officer of our club I’ve had ENOUGH of the politics. Somebody else can have that headache, I'm done banging my head being a doer, as you say, for naught.

I just want to fly my airplanes like your average Joe. If the club happens to crap out so be it, I’ll just find another place to fly. (That’s a pretty sad statement coming from a charter member). [&o]
Old 10-17-2003, 04:45 PM
abel_pranger

Have a group of members that does / contracts that chore.

Firm contracts and schedules. Open to bid each year and approved by Member vote.
Hoss-
That sounds like a really good idea. Lots of clubs seem to have problems getting members to pitch in when there's work to be done. Maybe some of the doers will get wise to your example and save themselves the frustration of trying to plead and cajole the leisure class into lending a hand.

Abe
Old 10-17-2003, 05:43 PM
bobfox

Perhaps the answer is in our expectations of what a club should provide. I think I belong to a fairly average club:

1) Low dues
2) No meetings
3) As little paperwork as possible (Just to meet AMA requirements)
4) No special events that require elaborate planning
5) We take turns cutting the grass
6) No grandiose plans to expand to four runways, a clubhouse, 9 hole golf course, etc.

I've belonged to other clubs that did special events, improvements, expansions, boring meetings, etc. Someone felt they were necessary. Not me, but someone. It's interesting, but if everyone who wasn't interested in these events didn't participate, they would stop or these events would be run by the few who are interested.

Come to think of it, that's exactly what IS happening- at least in some cases.

Perhaps when I retire, I'll be more accepting of the self-inflicted administrative burdens some clubs have and be more willing to participate.

Before people criticize my position for being insensitive to the growth of the hobby, consider this:

1) When was the last time a "drop-in" came to one of your meetings? (Someone who had never been to your field.)
2) Does 500 feet on the end of a runway attract new menbers from outside the hobby?
3) How many outsiders (No RC experience whatsoever) showed up at your last fun-fly?

The vast majority of club projects are for club members or those already in RC!!!!!

Bob
Old 10-17-2003, 09:51 PM
J_R

Horrace

That seems like an innovative approach. There are no fields with grass in this neck of the woods, so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this something that is normal for clubs to do? If not, was it your idea or someone else in the club's?

JR
Old 10-18-2003, 07:49 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: J_R

Horrace

That seems like an innovative approach. There are no fields with grass in this neck of the woods, so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this something that is normal for clubs to do? If not, was it your idea or someone else in the club's?

JR

Jetero RC has numerous "innovative approaches" to running a Club like a business.

Thank you for your offer, JR, however there is NO NEED for YOU to "compare" as the regular Club membership handles the task very well.

From whomever the idea may have originally first came is NOT of any real significance.

All ideas that are finally used are kicked around the round table of the "doers", finally modified for presentation to the Club as a whole, via the Newsletter, then voted on at a club meeting, where other modifications may well be input.

Jetero's paying membership votes to pay the extra dues and have a very nice field always ready for use, over various other available options. Nothing else is needed or solicited. [8D]
Old 10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
J_R

Horrace

I am sorry if I offended you in some way. I thought this might be an example of your "original thinking" that you often like to allude to. I guess not.

JR
Old 10-18-2003, 05:41 PM
ballgunner

I belong to a group of RC'ers in a different facet of the hobby. We have four rules:
1. NO meetings. 2. NO officers. 3. No dues. 4. everyone is welcome as long as they do not overlap frequencies. In the case of rule #4 You will be expected to share time with the one who is using the same frequency.
We get together once a week and have a ball. We have parties and our wives are welcome to attend. Some of the wives participate in the activity. It obiously wouldn't work in a flying club because our site is free. We consider the neighbors and make no noise to protect the activity which is sailing and by its nature a very quiet sport.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:55 PM
hanna
My Feedback: (3)

JR- Are Hoss and 12DDD the same person? Mike Krizan
Old 10-19-2003, 09:02 PM
J_R

Do you see similarities?

ORIGINAL: hanna

JR- Are Hoss and 12DDD the same person? Mike Krizan
Old 10-19-2003, 09:27 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Gotta admit, I'm that Joe Average guy myself, when it comes to my RC flying.
Not necessarily because I want it to be that way, but because I
simply don't have the free time for it to be any other way.
This year, for instance... I've made it out to the field a grand total of five times.
Hated like heck that I missed our last funfly of the year this weekend, too.

Don't automatically assume that we folks just "don't care", I guess is my point.
Some of us simply don't have the time for anything but a quick trip out to fly
every now and again. Hand me a copy of the rules, I'll get AMA and pay my club dues,
and I'll do it all over again next year... until my life schedule changes drastically.

Not everybody has the time, inclination, or patience to be the movers and/or shakers.
It's probably a good thing, too.
Imagine if 100% of the membership wanted to be involved at that level.
I can almost guarantee you that some of the regular "movers and shakers" wouldn't
like it one little bit. Too many chiefs... and all that
Old 10-20-2003, 02:12 PM
cstevec

I too am that Joe. Everytime I go to the club field for an event, I wind up having to share my frequency. The club meets at a building that is 60 miles away from my home and that is after I drive the 60 miles home from the other direction (work). I enjoy flying with the guys but sometimes the stress gets to me. I enjoy the sport and like to relax when I fly. I find it more relaxing to go during the off-peak times, just me and a flying buddy, or the wife and my son and have a nice, quiet, uneventful fly.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Burger

Sounds to me like somebody is looking for a pat on the back, and when not freely being offered feels compelled to force the issue. I for one appreciate those who are actively engaged in the club. I also think some people over value their service. If it has become a burden, seems to me it's time to back off and let someone else step up for awhile. Learn how to enjoy the hobby for what it should be again, fun. If you step back somebody will step up and take over, though they may do things differently or not as well as you would, let it ride and see how they do. With time they may pass your expectations. Some people just can't have fun unless they are complaining about the other guy, ya know what I mean?[sm=wink.gif]
Old 10-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Mike in DC

Good post burger! To those of you who feel you MUST put a lot of time into the club, into the field, into events, and whatever, I also appreciate it. But I hope you're doing it because it's what you love, not out of some sense of duty, or worse, with some condescending attitude toward those who decide to use their time differently. That guy you're looking down your nose at might be caring for an elderly parent, or just be at a different stage of life, perhaps raising children. Hoss' post is wistfully philosophical, which is good. Introspection is fine, but don't build your self worth on negative feelings about others.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Jim Thomerson

Dave Brown had a recent editorial arguing that there is no such thing as the average AMA member. I think what is ment here is that the non-contributing, disconnected member is quite common. This may well be the case for many. My experience has been with general, CL, and FF clubs which have been competition oriented. My impression in these clubs is that the non-competitive members all picked little niches and contributed and participated in the club projects in a useful and non-stressful manner. No one put any pressure on them, they just felt part of the club and contributed what they wanted to, and it was noted and apprecited.

Personally, I've been both mover-and-shaker and occasional helper, depending on my personal situation at the time. I do think that doing needful things for your club gets you out of the welfare mentality and gives you a sense of ownership in the club. It is surprizing how doing just some little thing will make you feel different.

Jim
Old 10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Jetero RC has numerous "innovative approaches" to running a Club like a business.

Thank you for your offer, JR, however there is NO NEED for YOU to "compare" as the regular Club membership handles the task very well.

From whomever the idea may have originally first came is NOT of any real significance.
....snip.......
What kind of knee jerk paranoid response is that?

Burger, Are you sitting down? Good cause I agree with your post 100%.

I belong to a club to support the field as they are my lobbying group with the parks dept. I've never been to a meeting but do attend activities and help out. So far I am not interested in politics just flying and if I can help out with hands on tasks and I'm available that's fine.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Crashem

I think what is ment here is that the non-contributing, disconnected member is quite common.
If your current on your dues then I wouldn't classify that person as non-contributing or disconnected.

It's called volunteer work for a reason!!!

Some clubs provide the option of doing work or paying a little extra to be exempted are those who choose to pay more and work less also classified as such???
Old 10-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Burger

Hey BasinBum,

Very good. Every now and then I'll get one right. No hard feelings here, but I will try to offer a spirited debate from time to time...[8D]