Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

About Model Aviation articles...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

About Model Aviation articles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 09:50 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Model Aviation articles...

Just a few comments for the many excellant, Model Aviation authors.

"It's been another great month for RC flying". How many times must we be told that at the beginning of articles. Please, Please try to think of another way to open your story.

Another opening that is getting stale is the short story about your personal life. I don't need to hear about what contests you went to, who you saw, and how much fun you had. Of course I do want to know what happened at these events.

Another thing; Pleading with me to email you with my thoughts, comments, and ideas is not going to make me write. I do appreciate seeing your address in case I do have a comment.

I realize you guys aren't professional writers and/or don't get paid much. This is merely a casual suggestion and I will continue to read the mag from cover to cover.

Tom
Old 11-01-2003, 10:07 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: About Model Aviation articles...

Tom,

What sections/articles/writers do you like most? Not trolling, just curious.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wish to contribute to Model Aviation, you can get an Instructions to Authors sheet either off the web or from headquarters. Model Aviation pays on acceptance, rather than on publication as many magazines do. I appreciate that; however, some years ago I had an article accepted, and eagerly awaited its publication. Months dragged into years. The article had been lost in the editor's office. With a change in editor, the office was cleaned out, the article found and published, seven years later. I wouldn't expect such a situation today!

I too am impressed with the quality of articles in Model Aviation.

Jim
Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you think of the 'Nats' issue?

Jerry
Old 11-09-2003, 08:48 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

What do you think of the 'Nats' issue?

Jerry
I thought the NATs issue was very good. Except for one thing... They completely omitted the pylon racing coverage! That was a major screwup! The responsible party has apologized to the pylon racing brotherhood and the pylon article will be featured in the February (perhaps January) issue. Still this error detracts from an otherwise very informative and entertaining issue.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:30 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I think the events coverate is excellant. Lots of good pictures and good descriptions of what went on.

I also enjoy the articles with more technical information. Subjects such as chargers, servos, and radios. It's nice to see more detail than you get listening to your "buddies", but not so much it takes a phd to interprete.

Other ideas I would find interesting: strength of materials, servo performance, radio signal strength, etc.

Tom
Old 11-16-2003, 02:09 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

For GREENBOOT. For info re "chargers, servos, radios" and "servo performance, radio signal strenght", you will have to look elsewhere. Model Aviation has cancelled the Electronics column due, according to them, to "lack of reader interest".
Old 11-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EloyM

For GREENBOOT. For info re "chargers, servos, radios" and "servo performance, radio signal strenght", you will have to look elsewhere. Model Aviation has cancelled the Electronics column due, according to them, to "lack of reader interest".

"Reader Interest"! I wonder what that has to do with anything at "MA". [>:]
B. Hunt, Sep. '03. stated higher qualifications for *Focal Point*, which was copied from MAN due its "high reader interest" and has been same for MA. He says they want to continue F-P but in a more timely manner, whatever that means. [X(]

If "Reader Interest" was a factor, IMO "Modeling Spoken Here" would be the first thing out the door.