Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Rules for Jets, 3 D, Scale, Pattern, et al---

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Rules for Jets, 3 D, Scale, Pattern, et al---

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rules for Jets, 3 D, Scale, Pattern, et al---

Guys, if we don't regulate (control) ourselves, some one else will!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 AM
taxman232ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rules for Jets, 3 D, Scale, Pattern, et al---

They will try to regulate you regardless. Look at the current debacle between DB and the new rules package that was developed with heavy input from the JPO.

These guys are worse than homeowners association Nazis. They couldn't accomplish anything significant in their personal lives, which leaves them feeling meaningless and insignificant, therefore, they feel the need to create illusionary power by trying to regulate the rest of us who are just out to have fun. It all boils down to envy and jealousy.

I don't think I am alone in my oppinions and feelings.

Taxman

Taxman
Old 11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The CAA/FAA was created because it became necessary to regulate the flight of full scale aircraft and license the pilots. It has grown because the industry has grown. I for one am very happy that there are such things a TC's. At least I feel I have a chance of survival in a certifcated aircraft if the pilot or myself are licensed. I do not, in any manner, advocate the same type of regulation for model aircraft. I do feel however that some form of regulation, preferably as little as possible, is necessary for the continual advancement of our hobby. The largest uproar seems to be from those who are being regulated no matter how small the intrusion of rules may be. We are all, I hope, regulated at our individual club flying sites by the use of TX impounds and frequency pins. Is this an intrusion on our individual rights ? Yes, to a certain degree, but obviously for the better good of all. If we were permitted to build and fly anything that came to mind, and our income would permit, the resulting mish mash would be unacceptable to everyone in the hobby. That, by the way, is the reason for Experimental being posted where any one who will fly in the aircraft can see it upon entering. I don't advocate rules for the sake of rules but for the expansion and growth of our hobby in a safe manner. I also agree with your reference to HOA's. I've been on a couple and quit in disgust every time.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 AM
beepee

Taxman,

As much as you don't like the activity of the homeowners association, you must understand they do not have a choice. At least in the state of Texas the law is very restrictive. If the association does not defend all Deed Restrictions completely and vigorously, they loose them.

This is not completely unlike what we should be thinking about in the regulation of our hobby. We need to be very careful of the regulations we put into force. If we have them, they must be enforced, or we will loose (potentially) our AMA insurance coverage. The insurance underwriters will be looking at any claim incident for rule following and will certainly not pay against a claim where a rule was not being followed and/or regularly enforced.

That said, I do feel that we need to be constantly reviewing our activity for the need to add/change/delete regulations. It is foolish to think otherwise. Look at the nature of the hobby 30 years ago. Were the rules in place then the best and right rules for the hobby today? I don't think so. We should always be looking at our regulations and judging whether they are serving their purpose, and are enforceable. We also have to look at the evolution of the hobby and consider if our body of regulation is continuing to meet the same criteria.

Nobody wants a fun activity such as this to be mired in over regulation. But, we do need to be sensible about it.

My thoughts anyway.

Bedford
Old 11-27-2003, 12:18 PM
rayzer 13

Basic guild line rules for our hobbie are fine but to make it so complex that you need a baclors digree to fully understand them is crazy our flying site is on public land so we have no say on who flys what or when some guys are real good but most are the new arf generation who aint even with ama they are just out there flying having fun how can i tell thes guys you got to do this or join that what the advantage with all the insurance loopholes and in house bikkering of ama I say go back to the fiftys rules and keep it simple signed Ray Rusaw Juneau Alaska