Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Who is Tony Stillman?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Who is Tony Stillman?

Old 12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is Tony Stillman?

Excaliber, in several posts, has asked some interesting questions about the challenger for D5 VP. Why is Tony Stillman an AMA Hall of Fame inductee? Just exactly what did he do to earn that honor? What is F3A and how is he involved? Why did Don Lowe, the previous President of the AMA, endorse Tony for the position, almost a year before the election? What are his modeling interests? Although I have some superficial knowledge of Tony, it would be interesting to have him fleshed out.. that is.. to find out just who this guy is.

JR
Old 12-12-2003, 11:42 AM
the troll
Banned

Default RE: Who is Tony Stillman?

http://webpages.charter.net/nneville/nneville/
Old 12-12-2003, 01:31 PM
J_R

the Troll

Yeah, that's a nice statement, but, who is he? Detail! Those that care know of McNeill's exploits. What I would like to see is more about Tony. Running a couple of contests, regardless of their stature is not enough to get him into the Hall of Fame. There must be more to him. Why did Don Lowe endorse him? Are there any other modelers that will step forward to tell us why he should be elected? Not just rhetoric, but facts and achivements. I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story and it might be an interesting one.

JR
Old 12-12-2003, 04:59 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: J_R

I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story and it might be an interesting one.

JR
JR

It seems that everyone that has expressed an opinion, that I have found by trolling around, is Stillman is a stand up real life modeler. So far he would have my vote. I really think JM is a more interesting study.[X(]
Old 12-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has been active in the AMA a long time. Pattern flier at contests as well as CD. Also the frequency monitor at many contests. Owns Radio South the major radio repair shop in District V.

But why do you care? You don't live in district V, do you?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
<SNIP>
But why do you care? You don't live in district V, do you?
I could stand corrected on this, but, I think that each VP becomes a member of the Board of Directors of the AMA. As a Director, each VP has a vote on everything that the AMA does, if my understanding is correct. If my understanding is in fact the case, the actions of each and every Director is of interest to me. Each and every Director will vote on things like the tail touch rule, or the turbine rules, or the pattern proposal, if I am correct. Again, if I am correct, each and ever Director's actions should be of interest to each and every member of the AMA. Is there something that I am misunderstanding about the process?

JR
Old 12-14-2003, 02:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JR, you may have hit the nail on the head concerning QUALIFICATIONS of being a District V-President - they have to be (or become) and 'expert' in all areas of model aviation - TUFF JOB to vote on proposals outside of your prime interest.

Jerry
Old 12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have sent servos into him at Radio South.
He has treated me right and has earned my vote through his business.
I don't know the other candidates but unless I see them at a IMAC contest in 04 or the Perry show in Georgia, then I don't think my vote will change.

THE perry show is an excellent opportunity for all candidates to meet the people.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR says >>>>>>>>>>>>"Each and every Director will vote on things like the tail touch rule, or the turbine rules, or the pattern proposal, if I am correct. Again, if I am correct, each and ever Director's actions should be of interest to each and every member of the AMA. Is there something that I am misunderstanding about the process?
<<<<<

Sounds good and as things should be, however IMO recent history evidences that if the vote does not satisfy the EC's main Vein, Mr. Brown, then he vetoes it until they follow in trail. So much for the BS that the Pres. only votes to break a tie.
Even in our government, 2/3rds can override the main vein's veto. Alas, it doesn't seem that there are adequate backbones within the DVPs to tell Mr. Brown to sit down and speak if and when spoken to.

So what does it matter who holds the VP title? Only one mind matters, and it belongs not to a DVP.

Jerry, it isn't a tough job at all as it works now. Simply do as told! Now if one really wanted to do a decent job, then that would take a bit of research. However the major groups lend supportive research, so take a basic portion, then mix some common sense safety matter, stir in basic MODELING experience, stir in one part each of past history, current trends, and future expectations of any specific event/activity, and it will bake very adequately for the needed job.

Just because I don't lay eggs doesn't mean that I cannot either make, or pass fair judgment on, an omelet.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:40 PM
J_R

Hi Horrace

When did DB get his way in opposition to the EC? I musta missed somthin

JR
Old 12-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: J_R

Hi Horrace

JR

>>>>>>>>>>>AMA web

Motion III: Moved and seconded to accept the document titled Safety Regulations for Fixed/Rotary Wing Model Aircraft Gas Turbines, with changes/corrections.
*Caveat: Any turbine waiver applied for this year (as of the time this document is voted on), is grandfathered in for the first year (2004). This means an applicant does not have to complete the 20 flights until their renewal comes up (for 2005). All those applying as of January 1, 2004, will have to comply with the requirements. Motion passed: 8 yes; 3 no (V, VII, IX); 1 abstain (NAA).
Prior to voting on the the original above motion, it was moved to amend the document items regarding static thrust and speed. This amendment died for lack of a second.
It was then moved to table the item. This action failed due to lack of a second.
A conference call was held on Friday, November 14, 2003, regarding Motion III that was recently passed at the last Executive Council meeting. It was moved and seconded that Motion III involving Turbine Regulations passed at the November 1, 2003, Executive Council Meeting be held in abeyance pending a review of the airframe requirements with inputs from the Safety Committee, Turbine Advisory Committee, Turbine Community, and the JPO.
The AMA Executive Council has just completed its emergency Council meeting (Conference Call) regarding the new Turbine Operating rules.

After much discussion it was decided to suspend implementation of the new rules pending further input on the engine and airframe requirements for turbine powered aircraft. For risk management purposes, the EC's primary focus is on limiting the maximum speed of these aircraft to no more than 200 mph. The AMA Safety Committee and the turbine community will be asked for input and suggestions on methodologies that ensure definitive compliance with the speed limitation. Input will also be solicited regarding the guidelines for fuel quantity and engine thrust limitations.

For clarification ... The Executive Council motion passed November 1, 2003, set the implementation date for the new Turbine Operating rules at January 1, 2004. The effect of the EC motion this evening leaves the current (old) turbine rules in place until further action by the EC.

We wish to thank those of you who have express your interest and concern, and would also like to express our sincere appreciation for your patience in this matter. Any questions or input regarding these issues should be forwarded to AMA HQs Attn: the AMA Safety Committee, with a copy to your District Vice President.
<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 12-14-2003, 10:58 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

<SNIP>
A conference call was held on Friday, November 14, 2003, regarding Motion III that was recently passed at the last Executive Council meeting. It was moved and seconded that Motion III involving Turbine Regulations passed at the November 1, 2003, Executive Council Meeting be held in abeyance pending a review of the airframe requirements with inputs from the Safety Committee, Turbine Advisory Committee, Turbine Community, and the JPO.
<SNIP>
Must be my reading comprehension again. What's that mean.. abeyance?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

"The effect of the EC motion this evening leaves the current (old) turbine rules in place until further action by the EC."

that would be a close enough definition for me.
some folks will want to split hairs over wbster definitions, but what happens in actual practice is what really counts.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:22 PM
J_R

Well guys, here is a post that was made in the Jet Forum by F106A. Just maybe... your wrong. The post is located at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...291&tostyle=tm so that you may verify it. Please note: I did the bolding.

JR

Here it is:
"Hi everyone,
Here's an overview provided by Dave Mathewson, DII VP.

This is an update I'm sending everyone in our district who has contacted me
regarding the revisions to the current turbine regulations (generally
referred to as the "JPO proposal" . At the bottom of this email is a note
District 10 VP, Rich Hanson, sent to the members in his district. It's
pretty complete so I've copied it here.

As most of you know, the AMA EC met via conference call on Friday night to
discuss the new turbine regulations that were passed on November 1, 2003.
AMA President Dave Brown expressed several concerns over these new
regulations and called for an emergency meeting of the EC, by conference
call, to discuss them. As a result of this meeting, the EC voted to hold
these new regulations "in abeyance" pending the gathering of more info.

What does this all mean (my thoughts, comments, opinions)? First, soon a
copy of the exact motion passed on Friday night along with a complete
version of the new regulations will be posted on the AMA Website. This
should clear up some of the erroneous info that's been floating around.

As Rich mentioned in his comments there are three areas of concern with the
new regulations. Personally, I believe two of them, the fuel issue and
thrust issue, can be cleared up rather easily. Simple changes should be able
to be made, with little affect on the intent of the original JPO proposal,
that will eliminate the concerns some have.

The primary issue is the removal of the requirement for a speed limiter
(which was required in the old regulations under certain conditions). When
the JPO Proposal was presented to the EC on 11/1 questions were raised about
removing the requirement for speed limiters. There was a concern that the
only method of determining the speed of the model would be by using the
visual judgment of the pilot (not very scientific or accurate). I wasn't
totally comfortable with this. On the other hand we were told that
aftermarket speed limiters were, at best, unreliable, and in some cases, not
available. With this being the only options, I was unwilling to vote in
favor of any policy that would require the use of a piece of equipment that
was known to be prone to problems or not available. Eliminating the
requirement for a speed limiter was, in my mind, the lesser of two evils.
The JPO proposal passed 8 to 3.

Shortly after the EC meeting, and as late as a couple hours before the
conference call on Friday, several companies have contacted AMA indicating
that they can produce an acceptable, working speed limiter. As the
conference call progressed several options were tossed out for
consideration, from rescinding the original November 1 motion; to doing
nothing; to holding up, slowing down, and waiting to decide what to
ultimately do until we have all the available information. A motion was made
and passed to hold the new regulations in abeyance.

What's the bottom line? First I think overall the JPO proposal is good work.
As a package, it has much more good in it than not. If the issue is raised,
I will not vote to rescind the motion of 11/1 that passed in favor of this
proposal. I will not vote in favor of a requirement for a speed limiter for
ALL turbine models. I would be receptive to a requirement for a speed
limiter for all turbine models capable of exceeding the 200 MPH limit. My
position would be subject to the wording of the rule and the availability of
an acceptable limiter.

Please don't misinterpret what happened at the conference call on Friday.
The motion to accept the JPO proposal has not been rescinded. Everyone in
our district that I have talked to agrees that a working speed limiter on
turbine models capable of exceeding the speed limit is a better alternative
than guessing. As a matter of fact, most turbine pilots I've spoken to that
have models capable of flying that fast prefer speed limiters and would
still use them whether it was required or not.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. In
the meantime, as we work to put this issue to rest, I'll keep everyone
updated on whatever progress we're making.
Dave "
Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 PM
J_R

Horrace,

I beseech you.. pick up the phone and quit trying to read between the lines. In discussing this issue with Dave Brown, he has no, repeat, no illusion that this issue is over. There are other e-mails from VPs as well as the results of phone calls in the Jet forum. You got no case at this point in time.

JR
Old 12-14-2003, 11:59 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

again hair splitting over definitions.
suspended indefinately, may not be recindination, but it has the same effect, with the added bonus of yer being able to say, we are working on it.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Hossfly

>>>>>>>>>>
JR: "

Hi Horrace

JR"
<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>
Dave Mathewson as posted by JR: "As most of you know, the AMA EC met via conference call on Friday night to
discuss the new turbine regulations that were passed on November 1, 2003.
AMA President Dave Brown expressed several concerns over these new
regulations and called for an emergency meeting of the EC, by conference
call, to discuss them. As a result of this meeting, the EC voted to hold
these new regulations "in abeyance" pending the gathering of more info."
<<<<<

>>>>>>>
EC web/motions: "A conference call was held on Friday, November 14, 2003, regarding Motion III that was recently passed at the last Executive Council meeting. It was moved and seconded that Motion III involving Turbine Regulations passed at the November 1, 2003, Executive Council Meeting be held in abeyance pending a review of the airframe requirements with inputs from the Safety Committee, Turbine Advisory Committee, Turbine Community, and the JPO.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>
JR: "You got no case at this point in time.

JR
<<<<<<<<<

EC passed a motion.
DB got it placed on indefinite hold and not effective as so voted.
IMO DB overrode an EC voted-in motion.
Case or not, the results so prove that the Pres. gets his way when he so desires, and the VPs do NOT stand up to him with a, "We already voted on that."
Changing a vote because of membership objections is one thing. Changing simply because of one other EC person, well I ain't so hepped up on that item!!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:29 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
<SNIP>
EC passed a motion.
DB got it placed on indefinite hold and not effective as so voted.
IMO DB overrode an EC voted-in motion.
Case or not, the results so prove that the Pres. gets his way when he so desires, and the VPs do NOT stand up to him with a, "We already voted on that."
Changing a vote because of membership objections is one thing. Changing simply because of one other EC person, well I ain't so hepped up on that item!!
The question is should that read?

EC passed a motion
DB called an emergency meeting
New information was presented
EC passed a motion putting previous motion in abeyance

DB had his say at the EC meeting. A rather animated say as I understand. A vote was taken. The rules were passed, in spite of anything Dave Brown said at the time. New information came to light. Apparently that new information gave the EC reason to take pause. Do you really think that a reiteration of the same arguments Dave Brown made in person at the EC meeting became so powerful, just because a few days passed, that those very same points changed the VP's minds over the telephone? If so, that must have been one hell of a telephone presentation.

As it turns out, there is more than one issue that may be revisited. Rich Hanson has expressed the desire to get it right, saying that the EC does not always get it right the first time. That is in the Jet Forum as well.

If you are trying to say that Dave Brown has won, and got he got his way, I assure you that if you will call him, he will enlighten you otherwise.. Or.. any of the VP's (bar one), for that matter.

JR
Old 12-15-2003, 02:40 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you guys quit it?
It's really offputting to keep seeing your name up in bold on the thread listing! (ok, with one letter difference...)
Old 12-15-2003, 02:52 PM
J_R

tiggerinva

If you have something to say, say it. If not, there is a little signial icon on the left side of my post. Click it. You won't have to see any more of what I have to say. Simple, huh?

JR
Old 12-15-2003, 03:08 PM
the troll
Banned

Darn it! I tried and I was hoping that would work... but I could still see your screen name on the thread listing. It just couldn't be that easy... Oh btw I am kidding around a bit and I believe so was tiggerinva...internet humor...is there really such a thing?
Old 12-15-2003, 03:19 PM
J_R

Maybe [sm=tired.gif]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...079&tostyle=tm
be sure to scroll down.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:29 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

J-R,

Where have you been, bud?????.....The new turbine rules/regs passed in the EC by an 8 to 3 margin. Dave Brown didn't like what was going on and called an emergency meeting. In this meeting the new rules that were voted for by a MAJORITY of the EC members was put on hold.....At Dave Brown's request.....Effectively creating a veto without legally having veto power in this instance.

If you don't think that Dave Brown doesn't have it "in" for turbine modelers, just read his latest editorial in Model Aviation.....Do you think that this type of scare tactics are ethical granted that jet modeling has one of the best safety records???

We need a guy like Tony Stillman that will not allow "special" meetings to occur so that the AMA president will not be able to effectively over-ride a majority 8 to 3 vote. If Tony will just sit by and rubber stamp what Dave Brown says then I'll be rethinking my vote....But from what I've gathered Tony is not that type of man.

Kevin
Old 12-23-2003, 03:51 AM
J_R

Hi Kevin

Sounds like your making a good case for electing Tony.

Why don't you open another thread about DB's column?

JR
Old 12-23-2003, 08:52 AM
BillHarris

As I said earlier, my concern is over the present District 5 leadership void. I want only the best for AMA and feel that it needs the best forward-thinking leadership which is capable of looking beyond getting re-elected. I believe that Tony Stillman is that person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.