Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Flying Site Grants HELP!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Flying Site Grants HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:56 PM
jpatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Flying Site Grants HELP!!!!

[sm=drowning.gif]After missing the our election meeting and being elected Sec. Tres., I was giving the undaunted task of applying for a !QUOT!Flying Site Grant!QUOT! with the AMA. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on the how tos or proper ways to help me? We have been shuffled from one field to another this year (a total of three moves). I have gotten a lot of younger kids, Jr. High, flying, but need help trying to get some much needed improvements done. Our field is practically inaccessible during the winter due to the bad soil conditions. With only twenty members in the club our monetary resources are virtually nil. The main problem is the access. We need to gravel or pave the way to the field. Our field has great potentials. The city has let us set up on the end of the tar mack at the airport. There is not much traffic at this field so flying is practically wide open.

Jimmy Patterson
Old 12-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA Flying Site Grants HELP!!!!

May I suggest that you pick up your AMA magazine, MA, and call your fine AMA District Vice President.

Not only will you become acquainted with your District Representative, you will also get the true words and not a bunch of, "I think...", "Maybe they..." and such speculation.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

fer sure, d5 rep, jim mcneil, would be the man to help ya here, if anyone can.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMA has a flying site grant program in place. The problem is that it will only cover 10%.. the club needs to figure a way to raise money. Here is the basic program: http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...BD65CDD1087E4E
Jay Mealy at HQ handles the program.

Might be wise to call your VP, as Horrace has suggested.

JR
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>>>>>>

fer sure, d5 rep, jim mcneil, would be the man to help ya here, if anyone can.

< Message edited by mongo

Might be wise to call your VP, as Horrace has suggested.

JR
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

'at's right. The bylaws, Art. X Section 5, say: "The District Vice President is responsible for maintaining Academy contact within the district and providing coordination with Headquarters on AMA matters."

IMO, it is impolite -- like being NOT politically correct -- if one should bypass the illustrious DVP if one has a question concerning AMA matters. If one fails to use the DVP, and directly contacts headquarters, then one not only snubs one's elected representative, but adds to the many disruptive interruptions that happen so frequently within a group doing their utmost to perform meaningful labor.

I say that it is a member's loyal duty to utilize the services of the District Vice President whenever questions arise. After all, he does have a generous travel budget and some rather nice tax allowances, so why not make use of the available asset, funded directly and indirectly by member dues.

Now concerning that seashore property -- OOPS, that goes elsewhere....[>:]
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I was selected for a similar task. JM was of no help, and had actually never heard of the program till I asked him to forward the application to the AMA, as is one of the requirements. They are right, the grant will only provide 10% of your needs, but also things that one needs to realize is that manwork hours also will count torawrd this comittment. OUr project is estimated to cost apporximately $30,000. We recieved $3100 from the AMA, which we immediately put toward our asphalt strip. Since that time. The county had contributed multiple man hours and equipment time to us which is helping us easily reach our goal. I can't be much help, other than to tell you to mkae your proposal neat, and well organized. We recieved our monies in April.
Good luck.
Tommy

BTW did any of you see the show on RC Hobbies on DIY last nite. I must say they are getting much better. Last week it was the BVM site, this week they are doing a show on hwo to build your own flying site.