Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Bombing

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Bombing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:36 PM
twindaddy_1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Bombing

Bet the AMA would love this!

I am appending this post today due to the negative direction the responses seem to be heading. This post unfortunately has proven the fact there needs to be more laughter in the world today, by some more than others.

In response to your WALNUT SIZED BRAIN statement frankflyboy1 riddle me this:

A projectile is fired from a cliff 2000' above sea level as shown below. The muzzle velocity is 1500fps and the firing angle is 30 deg.

Determine: (a) the range; (b) the time of flight; (c) the velocity just prior to hitting the sea; (d) the maximum height reached by the projectile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55480.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	85890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46456.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	85891  
Old 12-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: The Bombing

OK, did this really come from that plane?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you study the pic,you can see that the Spit has flown thru the smoke so my guess is that this is some pyrotechnics set off for display. Neat effect
Old 12-29-2003, 08:38 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

I hope it is just an effect, because this publicity is about as negative as it can get, and it doesn't help the hobby. I wish the no-brainer who put this together would use his walnut sized brain to portray things of this hobby in a different light.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

A picture with no context is completely useless. They use pyrotechnics at airshows on a regular basis. Ever heard of the "Tora! Tora! Tora!" show?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:24 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

think back to the byron goberson's old "stricking back" shows evvery year in ida grove.
no worse than what that pic displays.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Live Wire

Remember that was the good old day's. This will soon be 2004! They put on a real show and it cost a bunch!!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:49 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

it even got national news exposure.
not for the flying, but for the really neato pyro work.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:52 PM
augiep38

ORIGINAL: frankflyboy1

I hope it is just an effect, because this publicity is about as negative as it can get, and it doesn't help the hobby. I wish the no-brainer who put this together would use his walnut sized brain to portray things of this hobby in a different light.

What the hell is so negative about it? Isn't it stupid to say that someone has a walnut sized brain just because of differing oppinions?

I think it is an awesome pic and hope it did come from the plane, but it doesn't look like it did.

Quick - where is DB? We need him to cover the media hailstorm!!!

Potential NY Times Headline

"Model Airplane Attacks - Women, Minorities, children, and seniors most affected"

Todd
Old 12-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

The hobby will not benefit in any way from a pic like this. Is it cool? Sure. Should it be viewed outside of the community where the press can get a hold of it, like here on RCU? No. I can see it now, some expert on the 6:00 news talking about the so and so planes doing this type of thing...

I would like to (personally) ask you all to not respond to this thread. Let it die and get off of the first page.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:58 AM
augiep38

Just keeping it on the first page.

Todd
Old 12-30-2003, 07:59 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. If I'm right where the pic came from the AMA, FAA, UCLA, EAA etc will have absolutely nothing to say about it and no control what so ever on the media attention. It looks like the pyro stuff from the French tape, La Ferte' (hope I spelled that right). Their planes make our 30-40% planes look like tonka toys!! They actually do drop LIVE ordinance also. If I remember right, they said that one of the fliers who was a dentist mixed up some chemicals that would explode on impact. If you haven't seen the tape it's definately worth buying!!

Jon
Old 12-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smoke indicates that this is a fire, not an explosion. The smoke is drifting to the left. An explosion would have immediatly sent smoke in all directions and probably would not have been dectectable at the same moment the fireball would be seen.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

As far as me calculating your quiz I couldn't care less, and as far as the brain sized comment, I apologize for that. It just seems that PICS like these can only add wood to the already blazing fire.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

I don't see anything comming from the plane.

I don't see anything that denotes the field is AMA chartered.

I don't see any connection between the airplane flying in the air and a fire burning on the ground.

To me, the two things going on in the picture are unrelated.

It is possible that the Spit image was taken from a flight simulator and pasted onto the pic of the field. Photographs are artistic impressions, leaving to mind to interpret the situation, think what you want but the pic could be anything.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Ducted Fan Dan

Personally I think that is a real Spitfire and the photo was taken with one of the first color cameras back in the early 40's by a german rancher who just lost his on site fuel tank to a strafing run.

Prove that's not the case.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: twindaddy_1

A projectile is fired from a cliff 2000' above sea level as shown below. The muzzle velocity is 1500fps and the firing angle is 30 deg.

Determine: (a) the range; (b) the time of flight; (c) the velocity just prior to hitting the sea; (d) the maximum height reached by the projectile.

Read through 15 replies to the question, all worrying about the picture and ignoring the question.

The question exceeds my math. I hate to admit it but it is true. Beyond a straight firing at the 2000' I cannot calculate the answers. I wish I could.

No rocket scientist here. With the 15 replies, I suspect I am not alone. Good point made, twindaddy.