Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

so let down by public thoughts of RC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

so let down by public thoughts of RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 11:18 AM
KG4EHL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so let down by public thoughts of RC

I have had my eye on some local property that would be a perfect place to fly.. Out away from homes people etc. I live in an area that open fields are plentiful. One would think it easy to ask land owners if you could fly on their land. they say ok until they see your airplane and say sorry NO... because of the "noise" This is all I hear. Granted I fly now at a GREAT location. it is sorta close to home... Great people...maybe I am selfish, ? But I would like my own field. Every time I find a good price or great location there is a road block... I am told they are to noisy to dangerous, there are covenant restrictions as well neighboring farmers hear what I am planning and protest to the county and of coarse the county will support the farmers and so I am set on my way. I could swear the county knows and the local residents new I was coming. What with this attitude? Would the AMA be able to help? I would hate to give up, But unless I move to a "RC friendly" state I think the dream is off. I have never been able to even toss a glider in the air before being sent away... yet I have been called names... my radio interfered with and told I was not welcome to go through with plan in having an RC airfield on the property.
any ideas on how to handle this would be great!
Thanks Happy flying!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: so let down by public thoughts of RC

Well, if you really want to know if the AMA will help, contact your district vice president, or local AVP. He'd be the guy that can give you the real skinny on what the AMA can do.

I doubt if the AMA will give you financial or personnel support, especially since this is for a personal flying field, but they ought to be able to at least offer suggestions as to how to handle the situation.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Usually it does take some leverage.
I heard of a flyer that had this problem and he told his neighbor that he could either fly his planes or he would build a pig pen on the property line. The guy felt the planes were better than the pig pen.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
J_R

Try getting ahold of Joe Beshar through AMA HQ. He is in charge of flying site assistance in the East. The contact information is in MA or on the AMA web page. I would suggest a phone call, e-mail may not get enough facts accross to be helpful.

JR
Old 12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Are you trying to aquire overflight permission? If you buy some property you can fly on it. If it is adjacent to farmland noone can complain about noise (unless there is a home nearby).

You said someone interfered with you radio..what does that mean?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>>>>>

"But unless I move to a "RC friendly" state I think the dream is off. I have never been able to even toss a glider in the air before being sent away... yet I have been called names... my radio interfered with and told I was not welcome to go through with plan in having an RC airfield on the property."
KG...

In that case move to a more friendly state.

Here you can buy 10 acres bordering on a very nice flying site. 5 plots still available. Close to various kinds of vacation land, fresh water, salt water, free beaches, boating, fishing, hunting, and shopping. Within 10 minutes of vast area of homes and shopping. No restrictions except that you will be deed-restricted to protect flying field for 20 years.

Since I know not the zoning, etc. in your state's unincorporated areas, I (and no one else other than your state's locals) cannot offer advice concerning your legal rights on private property. I know TX and MI. In MI, the townships tell you every move to make and when and how to do it. In TX a man still has a lot to say about his personal property. I do love FREEDOM so.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80460.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	86896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51275.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	86897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74013.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	86898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62869.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	86899  
Old 01-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you contacted Sandy about the waiver for your field yet?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:46 PM
taxman232ex

The problem is you ilive in VA which is nearly as bad as the people Repiblik of Maryland. Most of the state is inhabited by soccer moms who think that everyone should bow down to the whims and needs of their babies. I have never seen a set of people so self absorbed in baby and safety worship as the nazzis in fairfax co and ashburn.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

AMEN TAXMAN! I live in VA Beach and you hit the nail on the head about those soccer moms and self righteous groups which seem to be more hypocritical than anyone on the face of the earth. "LETS GET RID OF THOSE TREES AND ERECT CHURCH # 50,964"
Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: taxman232ex

The problem is you ilive in VA which is nearly as bad as the people Repiblik of Maryland. Most of the state is inhabited by soccer moms who think that everyone should bow down to the whims and needs of their babies. I have never seen a set of people so self absorbed in baby and safety worship as the nazzis in fairfax co and ashburn.

Based on your area knowledge, you must live somewhere near Ashburn or Fairfax??