Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do AMA officers read this?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Do AMA officers read this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Bill Killillay
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do AMA officers read this?

Does anybody from the AMA actually read these?

If so I need some help getting an all RC ban changed or updated in our local parks. They have gone and banned ALL forms of RC. I am an e-flyer and I want to be able to fly my Tiger Moths and other sport aerobatic electric planes in the park. I think that this should be allowed as they are light and very quiet when compared to their gas counter parts. Does the AMA help with these sorts of things? Will they help? Yes I'm an AMA member, have been for a couple of years now.

Thanks,
BK
Old 01-02-2004, 10:27 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do AMA officers read this?

In MA, in the back, all the VP have a column and they list the AVP's for the District. One of the AVP's should be close to where you live. Give him a call and discuss the problem with him.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Bill Killillay

s3nfo,

Thanks, I think that I shall do that. I had one park offical stop yesterday and he was amazed at how far electric stuff has come. He said that I should really push for it and stay on the county to change it.

BK
Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Not for response as to what you need. [&o]

Contact AMA directly for your "Thank You, your problem is duly noted."

You are in D-5. You don't stand a snowball's chance in _ell to get any help there from your DVP. It is election year in your district. Read your MA. If no AMA help, be certain to NOT vote for any incumbent on your ballot that will come next Sep/Oct.

PAYBACK!
Old 01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Burger
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like Hoss is a little bitter about his loss...
Old 01-02-2004, 04:33 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Burger

Sounds like Hoss is <SNIP> bitter <SNIP>...
Old 01-02-2004, 11:27 PM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah they read them. I got a call from one of them.

Most just chose to remain faceless on the net. I think they create blacklists of which I know I am probably on.

Keep Der Furher happy!!

Todd
Old 01-03-2004, 01:15 AM
john 8750

It is probably just a mater of time before all cities start banning us.
I have seen some not-so-park flying in the park like way to fast to be safe or to large, and getting a bit loud with gear noise.
A lot of new flyers teaching themselves to fly and knowing nothing about the safety involved.
I wonder how long it will take.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:57 AM
the troll
Banned

I agree and we are our worst enemy...Why do we always have to play the dangerous card loud and clear? We should strive to enlighten any modelers on a one to one basis when the opportunity arises and refrain from public scare tactics to persuade the masses...Go quitely now grasshopper[8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 02:07 AM
john 8750

And may the force be with us!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:32 PM
AstroMan

In our rather large city they came out and banned all rc in public parks after some some schmuck nailed the kid of a city council member with one of those lousy firebird-uncontrollable-whatever-things. We were warned by our club after a couple of guys playing around with 3dx's or something were ticketed, fined, and had all their equipment impounded by the cops. That's nice....[:@]
Old 01-05-2004, 12:04 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

get prepared to see more public use area bannings.
the more untrained folks out there, the more stuff like that happens.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AstroMan

In our rather large city they came out and banned all rc in public parks after some some schmuck nailed the kid of a city council member with one of those lousy firebird-uncontrollable-whatever-things.
SNIP

That guy sounds like the one Troll was warning us about! If you don't think the city should have taken that action and your people were around when it happened, then your club is at fault for not taking a proactive stance until after the political folks took their steps to protect the women and children.

Sorry, but I have a hard time disagreeing with their actions given the nature of the incident. Look at it differently. How large a model can we hit you with before you complain? If no one listens to your complaint, what is your next step?

Everyone reading this thread needs to take note and consider yourselves warned.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Bill Killillay

I think that policing ourselve's while in public use areas is a MUST. I've been part of a group of e-flyers in one park that ran off a gas guy. So happens at this park we now have 2 designated areas to fly in, they do want an AMA membership and for pilots to come and register with the park office. The only other requirement is that you do two things, one put your AMA number some where on the planes you fly, and keep your model weight under 2 lbs. Also it's smart to check with the other people there flying and make sure your not going to stomp a freq. This 'city' park is in the same county that I'm now trying to get to let us fly in all the county parks. If we can do it at the city level, I think we can work up from there.

On another note, I did find a site facilitator of some sort that I think works for the AMA, I'm going to contact him today and see if this is something he can help with.

I also spoke with one of the county park officals and not only did he like my e-powered planes, he thinks it would be a GREAT thing to use to encourage kids to get into a hobby, to setup things like wingo pylon races, etc. He was the one making the suggestions to me. Hmmmm with the right approach and some self policing I think we can get some changes made. After all I AM a tax paying member of the county, I DO have the right to use those parks just like everybody else, laws are supposed to be to protect not to take away rights. That's why we have the government systems in place that we do. What gets me though is we sit and banter, but there are 100's maybe even 1000's of guys flying small e-planes in the parks every day that have NO clue what the AMA is or what the county or city's may or may not want in the parks. Again we need to police our self.

BK

PS. I just can't sit by idle and do nothing or by time my kids get old enough, there will be NO place left to fly...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM
J_R

The guy you are looking for at the AMA is Joe Beshar. He handles flying site assistance in the east. You can find contact information for him on the AMA web page under staff.

For the last couple of years, the many e-fliers have expressed no desire to be part of the AMA and can not justify the cost of membership. My community passed an ordinance banning "rc devices" some time back. Now there are those that want to fly in the parks. Ultimately, if they ban together and form a club, they may have the political strength necessary to be allowed the use of some park areas. Time will tell if the AMA grows because of the park flyers.

JR
Old 01-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Bill Killillay

JR, great response, I could not agree more. I tell everybody that I fly with about the AMA and what they can do for us. I found Joe's name in the AMA mag and I was planning on contacting him today. Again, thanks for the great response.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
AstroMan

ORIGINAL: AstroMan

In our rather large city they came out and banned all rc in public parks after some some schmuck nailed the kid of a city council member with one of those lousy firebird-uncontrollable-whatever-things.
SNIP

That guy sounds like the one Troll was warning us about! If you don't think the city should have taken that action and your people were around when it happened, then your club is at fault for not taking a proactive stance until after the political folks took their steps to protect the women and children.

Sorry, but I have a hard time disagreeing with their actions given the nature of the incident. Look at it differently. How large a model can we hit you with before you complain? If no one listens to your complaint, what is your next step?

Everyone reading this thread needs to take note and consider yourselves warned.

While our club and others would have liked to protest the passing of such laws, there was no forewarning. I believe those involved in the incident were not members of any club, and the law was proposed and passed by this city council member without warning. The only way we found out about it was when the cops showed up to nail sombody we knew. By the way, I don't believe the collision incident I referred to resulted in any injuries. I certainly don't blame the city officials for knee-jerk reacting (what are politicians for?), but there are probably a dozen clubs in the area that didn't hear word one until it was too late. The person I do blame is the guy with the airplane that hit a kid, thanks man...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:06 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: CAP Crazy

Thanks,
BK
I didn't read through... but You bet your sweet bippy they do!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Bill Killillay

Well if they do, so far they have not responded that I know of... but I would love to hear their input on this subject.
ORIGINAL: the troll

ORIGINAL: CAP Crazy

Thanks,
BK
I didn't read through... but You bet your sweet bippy they do!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:59 PM
J_R

Some of the leadership do read this forum. You are going to have to contact them. One member of the EC posted and was immediately attacked. I would be surprised if any of them ever posted here again.