Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Judge Judy and the AMA member case

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Judge Judy and the AMA member case

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
EC120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Judge Judy and the AMA member case

she know very little about the law but she looks good on TV
She looks good on TV? That is one strange kink you got going on.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, don't kock the dude. He has choices you know!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Well... what looks good to a 40 yr old may not look quite so "hot" to a 16 yr old...

In the case of Judge Judy... what looks good to a 70 yr old may not look good to a 40 yr old...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: EC120

she know very little about the law but she looks good on TV
She looks good on TV? That is one strange kink you got going on.
YUK That's NOT at all what I meant!!!!!!! But I do see your point on this one,(it was like 4am when I posted, THAT point did not cross my mind at the time) She is a TV personality that gets ratings...... I'm 33 and THAT makes me yak.......

Dauntae
UUKKKK I lost my appetite now
Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

see,
we were all thinking that you just had a thing fer older wemmons<G> and not even great looking ones at that.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:42 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Old 01-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

eeeEEEWWWWW I gonna go loose my lunch now.....
Old 01-30-2004, 12:03 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: RE: Judge Judy and the AMA member case

Hey, at 4 a.m. and a six pack or two, Judge Judy may start looking pretty sexy in that robe and "take control" personality.

[:@]Man I'm scaring myself[:'(]
Old 01-30-2004, 03:05 PM
iflynething

Hey......if one of ya hear that this episode is coming on again.......tell me!! THANKS......
Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Matt G

Not the popular stance here but, what about the landowners rights to feel reasonably safe in or on his own property? I didnt see the show but you would be hard pressed to find a better outcome. After reading these posts it appears that as rc modelers or ama members we should obviously not be held responsible for any damage we do cause. Instead of flaming J.J. I only see a few posts about flying over others property and not flying safely, something wrong there. What would have happened if the plane had hit his car or house or his kids or wife? The guy got off easy imo.We all need to remember to be as safe as we can or it wont be a tv courtroom deciding how much you pay.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:37 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Matt G

Not the popular stance here but, what about the landowners rights to feel reasonably safe in or on his own property? I didnt see the show but you would be hard pressed to find a better outcome. After reading these posts it appears that as rc modelers or ama members we should obviously not be held responsible for any damage we do cause. Instead of flaming J.J. I only see a few posts about flying over others property and not flying safely, something wrong there. What would have happened if the plane had hit his car or house or his kids or wife? The guy got off easy imo.We all need to remember to be as safe as we can or it wont be a tv courtroom deciding how much you pay.
There is a difference between justice and what occured in THIS case.

The landowner does have a beef with the CLUB using the field... and it needs to be handled. Judge Judy put the full liability for all the disrespect the club gave the landowner, onto this ine modeler. This should have been handled differently.

THAT is why Judg Judy's performance in this case was OBVIOUSLY abysmal.

Maybe the landowner deserves some compensation... Maybe the landowner needs his tail hauled off to jail for shooting at the model aircraft... (maybe a bit of both...) But that site has a problem that was not properly addressed here, and was probably made worse.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:25 PM
augiep38

"Judge" judy is nothing more than the product of a liberal feminazi nation. She is a haggard looking stupid shrew. No less - no more.

I don't know if she was a real judge at one time, but she is just an arbitrator mediating a binding arbitration on her show.

With all the accidents that happen in the world on a daily basis, its just too bad one couldn't happen to her.

Todd
Old 01-31-2004, 01:45 AM
Jim Branaum

ORIGINAL: augiep38

"Judge" judy is nothing more than the product of a liberal feminazi nation. She is a haggard looking stupid shrew. No less - no more.

I don't know if she was a real judge at one time, but she is just an arbitrator mediating a binding arbitration on her show.

With all the accidents that happen in the world on a daily basis, its just too bad one couldn't happen to her.

Todd
Hey Dude!

I don't know about West Virginia, but in Texas there is a saying that what goes around comes around. When thinking ill of those you disagree with, be careful of what you wish for because it usually does come around.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:29 PM
augiep38

Whatever JB. Bring it on - I couldn't care less..

I wasn't commenting on the meritts of the case whatsoever. If the guy was negligent he needs to take care of damages.

I was simply stating my highly negative oppinion of that ugly wench judge judy and all of those like her. Absolutely disgusting.... I mean come on - I understand that people all can't be intelligent or beautiful but DANG she is a loser in both categories.

Todd
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Jim Branaum

ORIGINAL: augiep38

SNIP

- I understand that people all can't be intelligent or beautiful but DANG she is a loser in both categories.

Todd

FINALLY! Something we can agree on! I was just about convinced that you were going to swear the sun came up in the west because I am sure it comes up in the west.

I was not defending her, or commenting on the 'case' as it is soap opera TV. Rather I was suggesting that it is not the smartest thing for you to wish an accident on her. Think about that for a while and see what your exposure might be.

By the way Todd, you are the only one at war. You can relax the super defensive stature since I have much more interesting targets.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:40 AM
nascarjoe

All and all, it's just another case of someone else putting RC aereomodeling in a very bad light (simply for TV ratings). It's bad enough that Hollywood loves to exhibit RC aircraft as a sophistacated electronic killing tools, now millions of more people see them as dangerous and expensive toys of which has the potential of rewarding more lawyers with millions of dollars in law suits.

Wouldn't it be great if AMA and the RC industry could get as much free exposure and in a positive light?

Nascarjoe
Old 02-03-2004, 09:26 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an update, I will tell you what I found out from the club members this weekend. According to them, they tried their best to get this guy NOT to do this, to settle out of court. He refused to do this, evidently the lure of a "free trip to NewYork" and the confidence that he could win over Judge Judy was enough to stroke his ego. In any case he never paid any money out of pocket, according to them.

As a foot note, the problems with this negihbor escalated and addition suits and complaints were filed. The AMA sent a mediator down here in order to look at the viablility of buying this man's property, since it could be cheaper than settling a suit. In the process of the investigation, another club member (not the one who was already in a suit) flew over the man's house, right in front of the mediator. When the mediator looked into it, it turns out that one of the men on the sticks of the plane did not even have an AMA card. The AMA has temporarily suspended all flying at the field (they can do this because the landfill is requiring the AMA insurance). The AMA cited that the club administration was unable to control the activities of its members. Currently, the flying status at their field is very much in question, and they will probably lose it. Too bad really. Just shows how a couple of dumb@$$E$ can ruin it for everyone. As a club officer I now realize how important it is to see to it that everyone follows the rules.
Tommy
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Jim Branaum

Tommy,
I have been a club officer for a while and I agree with you but have a suggestion. A few years ago after I caused a major ruckus at the flying field because some member happened to forget his AMA card and people came running to me to enforce the rules, I made a decision and have implemented it. You might consider similar action. Here is the logic.

The club did not elect or appoint me police officer. The AMA does not empower any club officer to be a police officer. Nothing I can do or say will make any miscreant stay within the rules. Therefore it is important for ALL club members to enforce ALL the rules as a group. This means that IF you see George violating a rule, YOU (and a friend or two to keep things on a level keel) go talk to George right then and there. Do not talk to George in a harsh manner, most will react poorly and some will even break more rules due to the bad approach. Do not wait until the next day or the next time you see him, take action immediately.

If George refuses to correct his actions, ask him to leave for the day and follow the club by-laws because they provide a clear path for action. Should you be one who prefers to break rules be prepared to leave the club field one day and then at the next meeting where the folks who decided we need that rule may choose to eliminate you from the club roster.

Now whenever a club member comes in complaint about another, I ask if he took issue himself. If the answer is no, I inform him of the above two paragraphs and ask that he take action as I have not seen an infraction. I will go with him but I will not speak except to correct him if he mentions some rule incorrectly. Some of the guys are too hard headed and just cause trouble, but I refuse to council someone they just do not like and I will not take action based on a single person's report. I have taken action after hearing about multiple complaints of the same nature about the same person. In each case the complainer said they discussed the problem with the actor. I suspect they did not do so in the proper manner because the reports STOPPED after he and I discussed the reports and how to stop them. If *I* see an infraction I take action immediately.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:37 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. At at our field, our club instituted a new policy whereby when dues are paid in January, you are not allowed to pay your dues until you show a valid AMA card to the club treasurer. He then gives you a club card for the year. You can use this card or your AMA card on the board. If you don't have your AMA card or verification from the AMA of your payment by March 1, then you pay a $10 late fee to the club when you pay your dues. It is incentive to pay your AMA fee early in November or December. We also keep a list at the field of everyone who has a verified AMA card and is paid up. IF you are new or a visitor, you don't expect to fly unless you show an AMA card.
Any suggestions on other ways to address this issue are most welcome.
Tommy
Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: nascarjoe

All and all, it's just another case of someone else putting RC aereomodeling in a very bad light (simply for TV ratings). It's bad enough that Hollywood loves to exhibit RC aircraft as a sophistacated electronic killing tools, now millions of more people see them as dangerous and expensive toys of which has the potential of rewarding more lawyers with millions of dollars in law suits.

Wouldn't it be great if AMA and the RC industry could get as much free exposure and in a positive light?

Nascarjoe

We can... we just have to TRY for it, and most clubs don't want to bother.

The local club gets a NICE interview each year on TV, with the announcement of the annual Pattern competition. Some years we've had members interviewed for the news for other events. A small segment of film gets shot of models flying.. and good publicity goes out on TV. (we average 2 things on tv a year...)

When the Club holds a Cub Scout or school class demo with buddy box training for everyone (kids and adults of the group) We get a mention in the paper. (thats 2 to 5 a year)

When the club's annual Christmass toy drive's collection got taken in to the Toys For Tots program... RC modelers got recognized as supporting the program.

When the club had members do an oversize show-n-tell with flight demo for a local school... it hit the papers that RC modelers (AMA members) were helping educate kids for the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brother's flight.

Do stuff that is positive... you can get positive publicity.

Sit and whine and moan... all you will get is the report when something bad happens

Its harder to get national exposure of a local good deed... so to get national good deed exposure... we need to be doing good deeds all over the nation.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The landowner does have a beef with the CLUB using the field... and it needs to be handled. Judge Judy put the full liability for all the disrespect the club gave the landowner, onto this ine modeler. This should have been handled differently.
I'm confused some have said Judge Judy ordered the plane turned over to the modeler or $2,500. Now some are saying the modeler lost the case? Was there a counter suit?
Old 02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

It's bad enough that Hollywood loves to exhibit RC aircraft as a sophistacated electronic killing tools,
They used to portray them as toys, I'm not sure which is better.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

If the answer is no, I inform him of the above two paragraphs and ask that he take action as I have not seen an infraction.
If you told me that I'd have something to say to you. Then I'd probably quit the club and join one where the elected officers actually belived in doing their job.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:47 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

If the answer is no, I inform him of the above two paragraphs and ask that he take action as I have not seen an infraction.
If you told me that I'd have something to say to you. Then I'd probably quit the club and join one where the elected officers actually belived in doing their job.

The club officer's job is to run the paperwork end of the club... The Safety Officer's job is to make sure the safety equipment and notices are all correct at the field.

Its everyone's job to work together to see that we fly safely.

A Safety officer that goes and hollers at a guy for a supposed infracction that he didn't see... is just going t be seen as the Field-Nazi and turh the position into a useless joke.

He's doing it RIGHT. if someone does something "questionable" tell him. If he ignores you and does it again... get a couple others to come with you and tell him again. If that don't work.. its time to make him leave before he plows his model into someone.

Thats the basic reason we have field rules... keep people form hitting each other with the airplanes (as much as possible...)
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Roll On 60

Yes, a countersuit was filed. The plantiff's case was dismissed and the defendant won $2500.00.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.