AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Park flyer frequencies

Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 AM
pete913

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Park flyer frequencies

Edited. Why waste time on trolls?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:05 AM
pete913

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Park flyer frequencies

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: pete913
Talking about pie in the sky radios isn't the short term answer. I agree that it would be a solution, but thats a long way off, maybe a very long way.
I am involved in an effort to make a new kind of radio that does not use "channels" in the way we do now. You do not need to wrorry about who else in "on" and you cannot shoot someone down, unintentionally or otherwise.

The new system was not meant to address this "park flyer" problem in particular, but it is indeed a technological solution that offers the potential to make things like "site seperation" a thing of the past.

We presented the system to the AMA Frequency Committee last month and it was briefed to the full EC last week.

So there is an effort to get into the modern age here. It is definetly not as "easy" as some here have indicated, but it is not a long way off, I can assure you.
I have no doubt of the existance of the technology. What I question is its availability and affordability. It'll have to be price competitive with whats out there now to even have a shot at success. Somehow I can't see someone in the market for a park flier paying upwards of $ 400 for a radio, or even $200 for that matter, at least not if he's not seriously involved in other facets of R/C flying to begin with.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:12 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It'll have to be price competitive with whats out there now to even have a shot at success. Somehow I can't see someone in the market for a park flier paying upwards of $ 400 for a radio, or even $200 for that matter, at least not if he's not seriously involved in other facets of R/C flying to begin with.

THe new radio is not targeted towards the park flyer, rather for the high end modeler that does not want to get shot down. This is mainly going to be for high value planes (jets, gianst scale, etc).

People who want cheap narrow band, interference prone, "hey I trust my fellow modeller/park flyer not to shoot me down" radios can get all they want now :-)

People who want bullet proof, no shoot down radios are lining up.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ROFLOL!

Pete913,
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I care if a park flyer has a problem! NO, my concern is only that my 33% Laser 200 weighing in over 20 pounds does NOT hit someone BECAUSE of the PF and his care about interference. You seem to think I am going to worry about paying 4 or 5 hundred dollars for a system. WRONG! If I have a good system that cannot be shot down, it is easily worth $500.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:08 PM
pete913

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with that, but I'll have to see this new stuff actually hit the market before I believe it. I think $500 would be a cheap price to pay for it myself, but I'm thinking it'll be quadruple $500 or more when (or if) they reach the market. As far as a "no shoot down radio" goes, I'll believe that when all this talk boils down into something I can hold in my hands.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Jean13704

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with that, but I'll have to see this new stuff actually hit the market before I believe it. I think $500 would be a cheap price to pay for it myself, but I'm thinking it'll be quadruple $500 or more when (or if) they reach the market. As far as a "no shoot down radio" goes, I'll believe that when all this talk boils down into something I can hold in my hands.
In the meantime, you might wish to consider the rx's currently on the market from both FMA and Berg that "most of the time" will reject signals from other tx's on the same channel. Peter Berg has discussed how this is done in several threads on RC Groups, for anyone interested in the details. Just do a search for Berg and TSR. BTW, they cost less than $500, a lot less.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have heard more about the Berg receiver and we are waiting to get a prototype in order to look at its performance. Does anyone know if the FMA and the Berg are using the same DSP code?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:02 PM
dave jones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Park flyer frequencies

Hello My name is Dave Jones and I have been fly a 2.4 Ghz Digital Spread spectrum Rc system that I designed for over a year ago. You can see the system on my web page at http://www.auav.net/spread_spectrum_radio.htm also look under the videos page there you will find a short video of me flying a heli with the 2.4 Ghz Digital Spread spectrum Rc system.
Dave Jones
Old 03-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Climber23

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The way all you club people talk, this sport is in trouble. I am a newbie, but have a father who has been in the sport for years. I bought a park-flier and not a cheap one either and it's damn fun! My father has visited my wife and I and has flown the little thing and really enjoyed it. The freq's are anyone's!!!! Not some club or some one groups. We all have to share, but it's the arrogance of the club people, damning the park-fliers for their problems. You couldn't prove that a park-flier within 3 miles was the cause of your crash anyway........ noise could come from anywhere. The hobby of model flying is going to the park-fliers because of the lack of space to fly and the cost of going glow. Maybe what needs to happen is give ya'll a certain few channels and sell the crystals with the planes........so that a park-flier could advance into glow and larger models. We I bought my set-up I had in mind getting into glow and even joining a club, but some of ya'll sound like women in a horse barn........... any guy that's ever been around one knows what I am talking about. I know that some of the equip and planes ya'll fly are very expensive....... but if you make too much noise you will drive everyone away from the sport......park, scale, large scale. Then your companies that make a profit off the small sales won't be around to build the large ones. Be careful how loud your bark is, because it might come back to bite you in the rear. I am going to fly my park model and have fun with it!!! Don't turn flying into a click, maybe you could instead of complaining about it.......go to the kid and his father you see in the park.....invite them to the club......... befriend them and show them the way.......... some food for though from a newbie
Old 03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Park flyer frequencies

Climber23,

You didn't read all the posts did you? If you did I think you would find that your suggestion was disussed.

One of the problems that park flyers have with clubs is the extra expense of AMA membership and club dues maybe you can tell me how to make the average "joe" parkflyer realize that 58.00 for AMA and X$ amount for club dues is worth it when I can fly for free at the park just down the street
Old 03-08-2004, 04:16 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

First off I never said that park flyers could not use our frequencies, they indeed have the same rights. That said the AMA club indeed has extra rights by being there first under civil law.
Extra rights?!?!?! right after saying they have the same rights?!?!??! Exactly how are you defining "our"???????

Doesn't have anything to do with FCC or AMA, but the tort system. Often that right doesn't get you much, for instance when someone builds a house near an existing club and starts compaining about noise, that right doesn't get you much unless that you can prove the owner knew about the noise before moving in, hard to do.
Actually, in that case, local noise ordinances on the books would likely be the determining factor...not who was there first. Similar to having a neighbor that plays drums!

In this case the club could claim first rights to those frequencies in the immediate area.
The frequencies are there for everyone's use, there are no "first rights" written into the FCC regs...other than maybe who happened to turn on first at a given time...
Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RE: Park flyer frequencies

Actually, in that case, local noise ordinances on the books would likely be the determining factor...not who was there first. Similar to having a neighbor that plays drums!
Many time those laws are not in effect in the remote areas where many of our clubs are. Also many local areas have exclusions for airports, racetracks, industrial areas, or even general exclusions for any known noise area.

The frequencies are there for everyone's use, there are no "first rights" written into the FCC regs...other than maybe who happened to turn on first at a given time...
The FCC regs doesn't give any rights, just that we should cooperate and share the frequencies. Civil law takes precedent here. This is similar to a farmer who installs irrigation wells well before a small homeowner moves next door. The homeowner finds his well dries up in the summer and must sink it an additional 50 feet. He sues the farmer and loses in court because the farmer was there first. Same principle. Has nothing to do with FCC rules and regs.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:49 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most of the problem here is the way the clubs veiw the park flyer as a second class flyer. Even the AMA has not done anything other than to drive us to the parks. If the clubs where a more freindly place to join then i feel that more of us would. But as I was told by a club "take that toy home with you". After flying that toy and honing my skills i can fly just about anything. Before i tryed to join a club i sat and watch on trainer night and was suprised at how many experts flew the new members planes into the woods. I understand the problems The clubs think that anyone that is not in a club is stupid about the hobby and here lies the problem it is us v them and nothing gets solved. As a tax payer of the public feilds i have rights too but i also have common sense not to fly if people are around.