Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Just when I was losing all hope...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Just when I was losing all hope...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just when I was losing all hope...

MA does a cover story on modeling. Granted it's too few and far between, but at least we get a much needed break from "3-D ARFdom."

Who knows, maybe such a story will spark an interest in someone to build a model airplane. It could happen.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:21 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Just when I was losing all hope...

The people who like to build will do just that. Its good more people can get planes in a arf form. Time is a big element. Plus the ARF planes are getting good. There should be no doom for you....just keep on building. Pretty simple!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was even a construction article. Did you go read, on page 10, the description of the MA issue of 25 years ago and shed a small nostalgic tear? I also thought the article on F1E free flight was interesting.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
rainedave

I have never encountered a situation where time plays any part in the popularity of arfs and until I do, I'll continue to beleive that it doesn't.

The fact is that everyone with the financial wherewithall to afford the r/c hobby has the time to build. They simply choose to spend their free time doing other things such as surfing the web, playing video games, playing golf, gardening, fishing, kids, or other perfectly legitimate outdoor or indoor activities, etc. They have just as much time to build as I or any other modeler has. It's just not interesting or engaging enough to lead them to do it. It has nothing to with time.

I have nothing against people flying arfs other than the one fact that they are missing out on the truly rewarding half of the hobby. It's their loss. As long as balsa wood and glue are on the market I will be able to build, so I see no "doom" or threat from arfs. It would just be nice if more people took advantage of the opportunity to experience the rewards of building.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:52 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, umm, this is the AMA forum. Did you mean to post in the kit forum? I guess since you did post in here, I should go with the flow and disprove your point. So Here you go:

MA does a cover story on modeling. Granted it's too few and far between, but at least we get a much needed break from "3-D ARFdom."

Who knows, maybe such a story will spark an interest in someone to build a model airplane. It could happen.
I have nothing against people flying arfs other than the one fact that they are missing out on the truly rewarding half of the hobby.
This is all your opinion and has nothing to do with the content of MA. Notice the latter quote. That's purely your opinion. I happen to hate kit builders like you. My case in point is RCKen's thread on bring the Ultra Sport .60 back in kit form. You kit builders just bashed the heck out of GP for considering bringing it back out and not making a decision on it at that time even though they had no reason to speed up the process.(they are a huge business and things take time to do) While I will agree with this statement:
It would just be nice if more people took advantage of the opportunity to experience the rewards of building.
I don't care for those people who call themselves kit builders. I personally like designing and building my own planes. (3D mind you!) If you hate 3D so much, and you hate ARFs so much, then why not complain to MA about all that they are doing to promote the two biggest segments of the entire hobby of model airplanes! Write them a letter. I'll be the first to read it. However, I don't think I will be needed to respond as you will have all the freedom loving modelers buying even more 3D ARFs just to hack you off.

As long as balsa wood and glue are on the market I will be able to build, so I see no "doom" or threat from arfs.
Then why did you post this thread in the first place?????
They have just as much time to build as I or any other modeler has. It's just not interesting or engaging enough to lead them to do it.
Are you retired? How long did it take you to build your first plane? In this day and age, people want to be able to spend more time with their families. Building is pushed aside and ARFs do come in handy as a viable alternative to getting a excellent plane. Many excellent builders that I know have told me that ARFs are, for the most part, built as good or better than they could do.

I hope you enjoyed my rant. I hope you take it to heart and try to promote building in a positive light instead of making it look like winers and complainers are the only ones who build a kit. If you do scratch build like I do, please refrain from speaking from those modelers as they, for the most part, aren't the whiny type.

50%
Old 04-22-2006, 04:00 PM
rainedave

I happen to hate kit builders like you.
I haven't built a kit in over 15 years.

If you hate 3D so much, and you hate ARFs so much, then why not complain to MA about all that they are doing to promote the two biggest segments of the entire hobby of model airplanes!
I think arfs and 3-d are fine. I've never hinted at disliking them.

Then why did you post this thread in the first place?????
See thread title and original post.

...people want to be able to spend more time with their families.
Which is why I referred to such activities as "perfectly legitimate." See post.

I personally like designing and building my own planes.
So do I. I'm just not snobby and self-righteous about it like you come off being.

I hope you enjoyed my rant. I hope you take it to heart and try to promote building in a positive light instead of making it look like winers and complainers are the only ones who build a kit. If you do scratch build like I do, please refrain from speaking from those modelers as they, for the most part, aren't the whiny type.
Man, stop whining. It's not very becoming.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
50%plane

I'm sorry. I must have misread what you wrote.

50%
Old 04-22-2006, 11:18 PM
rainedave

Maybe I asked for it. Sorry, too. Check your PMs.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 PM
ptulmer

Well spoken rainedav. There was nothing wrong with your post. Captinjohn and then 50% took it wrong. I too am happy to see content that I'm interested in. While ARF's may be a segment of our hobby, so is building from kits, plans and scratch building. (helis, jets, etc.) Since it's our magazine, we should all find something interesting in it from time to time. They do a fine job at MA and should be recognized when something catches your eye. You have nothing to apologize for.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 AM
50%plane

Since it's our magazine, we should all find something interesting in it from time to time.
This is an interesting statement. I don't remember a month where there wasn't some type of construction article. There is also a number of advertisements pertaining to RC building.(lone star balsa, plans services, etc.(though I didn't se Wendel Hostelter(sp?) ads) However, I found it interesting that there was only 1 ad geared toward any type of CL(in this case reproduction vintage kits) and one ad for a kite.(FFer's should be offended!)
Check your PMs.
Thanks for the PM.

50%
Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 AM
ptulmer

MA doesn't control the content of the ads. Perhaps it's all the ill will in this forum that caused the rather mean-spirited posts. My point was that the guys at MA have a hard job pleasing a very diverse crowd. It shouldn't be a bad thing when you post something nice about the AMA. I thought the title was kind of funny because most of the construction articles in MA are not that interesting.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:58 AM
crownvic

Ptulmer you are dead on when you say that MA has to cover a diverse crowd and to me thats the problem because I dont care about any other part of the hobby except for RC fuel powered planes I wish the whole magazine was just about that. JMO
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
ptulmer

That's called selfishness. You're part of a larger organization. Go buy a magazine that more fully covers your interest. That's kind of like joining the NRA because you like shotguns and complaining about their coverage of pistols in the Rifleman. I've got a five year old that could explain the concept.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:27 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

MA doesn't control the content of the ads. Perhaps it's all the ill will in this forum that caused the rather mean-spirited posts. My point was that the guys at MA have a hard job pleasing a very diverse crowd. It shouldn't be a bad thing when you post something nice about the AMA. I thought the title was kind of funny because most of the construction articles in MA are not that interesting.
Actually, the adds do show to some extent the number of those types of modelers that read MA. If 3D wasn't selling to the MA crowd, do you think that there would be many adds for 3D type planes? The answer is NO. It's the basics of marketing.
Perhaps it's all the ill will in this forum that caused the rather mean-spirited posts.
Are yours included in that? This quoted sentance has no place in this thread and looks to try to stir something up.
Well spoken rainedav. There was nothing wrong with your post. Captinjohn and then 50% took it wrong.
You need help.

50%
Old 04-23-2006, 08:51 PM
ptulmer

Post #2 and #5 have no place in this thread. You guys can PM till you're blue in the face, but what you wrote in public is all I have to respond to. Rainedav posted a positive comment from his perspective and you two jumped on him. I don't stir the pot, but I will call a spade a spade.

Why, exactly, do I need help? I have a positive outlook on life and enjoy my hobby. I don't depend on the AMA for anything except an avenue to have clubs. The cost is extremely low and nearly every edition of MA has something interesting. You, on the other hand, jumped on an opportunity to rant at another member of the hobby for no other reason than you didn't like something he wrote. Still not sure why. If it makes you feel better to rant, by all means, rant at me! There's nothing you can say that will effect me in the slightest.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 PM
50%plane

Why, exactly, do I need help?
Because of this statement:
Well spoken rainedav. There was nothing wrong with your post. Captinjohn and then 50% took it wrong.
Captinjohn made an obvious statement, and I misread Rainedav's intent. And, you took what he wrote the completely opposite way that I did. You're as out of line as I was. And you don't see it.
I don't stir the pot, but I will call a spade a spade.

50%
anyway, let's get back on topic.(unless you want to discuss this more.)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
ptulmer

Chris, you're not making sense. My support of rainedav's post when he's under fire from you two means I need help? I was out of line for being supportive? Dude, grow up. You're right on one point. Let's get back to the original topic.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 AM
rainedave

Thanks, ptulmer. This whole arf vs. building thing is a hot-button issue around here and I knew that when I started this thread. I'm not saying I was consciously and deliberately trying to provoke anyone, but I wasn't too surprised when it happened. When you've been involved in model airplanes for 8/9ths of your life - 40yrs. - and suddenly within a three or four year period the hobby transforms as it has, it would be extremely odd not to comment.

When I worked in IT there was an analogous thing going on where the programmers looked down on the designers/web developers as less than. The problem was, the programmers acted like their knowledge was private property and did next to nothing to share what they knew. I think it had to do with job security fear or something or other, who knows/who cares.

My original point - however flippant it appeared - was that it would be great if such articles sparked an interest in building. Instead of complaining about the demise of modeling, I'll state here that I'm more than glad to share anything I know about building with anyone who has the interest and patience to try it. Things are such that we should campaign modeling and not look down on those that are yet to discover it's rewards.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 PM
crownvic

Ptulmer because that is the way I feel about this I am all wrong! And I could care less about your 5 year olds observations on my selfesh feelings.Thats how I would like to see it so can I have my opinion
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what would happen if all of us who like building model airplanes would contact Bob Hunt, with copy to Dave Brown and your District VP, saying you would like to see a construction article in each and every issue of Model Aviation?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 AM
50%plane

I wonder what would happen if all of us who like building model airplanes would contact Bob Hunt, with copy to Dave Brown and your District VP, saying you would like to see a construction article in each and every issue of Model Aviation?
You would get a responce saying that there is at least one.

Chris, you're not making sense. My support of rainedav's post when he's under fire from you two means I need help? I was out of line for being supportive? Dude, grow up.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a few days. My reasons were because Dave's post seemed to be, IMO, pro-building and anti everything else.(They weren't, I misread them)You however took them the same way I did and seem to want to have MA deliver exactly what you want. You're attack on Crownvic's post was interesting as his post was clearly, IMO, tongue in cheek. I don NOT agree with his stance, but he seemed to be saying my point in a much better way. I do not build ARFs, but I support them because of the good that they bring to this wonderful hobby.

And now that Dave has posted what he meant, let's leave it at that.(I fully agree with it also)
My original point - however flippant it appeared - was that it would be great if such articles sparked an interest in building. Instead of complaining about the demise of modeling, I'll state here that I'm more than glad to share anything I know about building with anyone who has the interest and patience to try it. Things are such that we should campaign modeling and not look down on those that are yet to discover it's rewards.

50%

(edit: spelling)
Old 04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
ptulmer

Jim, if we (those of us with a decent command of the English language) started submitting more construction articles, there would be more to read! I've been thinking real hard about writing an article to go along with one of my designs. Since I fly 1/2a almost exclusively, I bet Crownvic wouldn't want it published and Chris wouldn't read it.

You guys with your opinions... Sure, you're welcome to your opinions. When you start trying to force them down my throat, don't get upset when I tell you they're selfish. You have the right to go form your own organization. You have the right to start your own magazine. You don't have the right to use my money for your own selfish ends.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Jim, if we (those of us with a decent command of the English language) started submitting more construction articles, there would be more to read! I've been thinking real hard about writing an article to go along with one of my designs. Since I fly 1/2a almost exclusively, I bet Crownvic wouldn't want it published and Chris wouldn't read it.
I read all the construction articles FYI. In fact, I usually read the whole magazine.
You guys with your opinions... Sure, you're welcome to your opinions. When you start trying to force them down my throat, don't get upset when I tell you they're selfish. You have the right to go form your own organization. You have the right to start your own magazine. You don't have the right to use my money for your own selfish ends.
And that's why I said that you need help. You say that other people are selfish, but you don't seem to acknowledge the fact that your opinions are selfish as well. You're written opinions here make it look like you think your opinions are 100% right and any differing opinion is wrong. Now, I have my opinions as well.(obviously) I fully believe them, but I will not be saying that I AM right. Instead, I will respect your opinion and try to change it .(usually) You don't seem to care about anyone else's opinions possibly being just as valid as yours. Selfishness!

50%
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: 50%plane
And that's why I said that you need help.
How do you plan on swaying me with snotty postings like that?

You say that other people are selfish, but you don't seem to acknowledge the fact that your opinions are selfish as well.
Feel free to back that up. What post of mine in this thread is selfish?

You're written opinions here make it look like you think your opinions are 100% right and any differing opinion is wrong. Now, I have my opinions as well.(obviously) I fully believe them, but I will not be saying that I AM right. Instead, I will respect your opinion and try to change it .(usually) You don't seem to care about anyone else's opinions possibly being just as valid as yours. Selfishness!

50%
You don't have any argument, so it's personal attack time again. As I said, you're welcome to your opinion. When you voice it, be ready to defend it. Not all opinions are valid. You've spent alot of your time in this thread being snotty instead of reading and taking part in an intellectual discussion. Keep whining, telling me what to do and calling me names. You appear to be very childish and I will not ever take you seriously.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
crownvic

I would like to know who is trying to shove their opinion down your throat by voiceing a different opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.