Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

JPO Risk Management Initiative - 2003 Jet Event CD Survey Results

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

JPO Risk Management Initiative - 2003 Jet Event CD Survey Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Gordon_Dickens
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JPO Risk Management Initiative - 2003 Jet Event CD Survey Results

Hello everybody,

The results of the [link=http://www.gajets.net/2003_RMI_Survey/RMI_2003_Survey_Results.html]2003 Jet Event CD Survey[/link] have been posted and may be accessed from the JPO website at:

http://www.jetpilots.org/

Safety is of utmost importance to the JPO. The turbine segment of model aviation will thrive and prosper only as long as the turbine community continues to prove itself to be safe. As a result of the its focus on safety, the JPO began its Risk Management Initiative (“RMI”) in November, 2003. The Risk Management Initiative was created by the JPO as a systematic program for mitigating the risks of flying turbine powered model jet aircraft. The RMI’s mission has two primary areas of focus; Flight Safety and Insurance.

RMI Flight Safety topics include Pilot Qualifications, Enforcement, Safety Training, Aircraft Quality, Speed Management and Data Collection. Data Collection is probably the most valuable and yet underutilized tool that is available. The RMI will be collecting crash data from jet events which will be exceptionally useful over a period of years for formulating conclusions regarding risk management and the real safety issues in jet modeling. Starting in 2004, CD surveys will be collected immediately following each event. The CD survey data will also be used to assess our current regulations and make recommendations for future changes to the regulations as appropriate.

The RMI’s insurance topic is primarily a focus on education. The RMI will be working to educate the jet pilot community about the insurance options that are available to be used in conjunction with the AMA’s pilot insurance.

The RMI Committee is staffed by Keith Sievers ([email protected]) and myself. Please forward your questions and comments to either of us.

Thanks,

Gordon Dickens
[email protected]
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 AM
MustangFan

Default RE: JPO Risk Management Initiative - 2003 Jet Event CD Survey Results

Report indicates pilot error to be the biggest cause of crashes ... always has been.

The second biggest cause seems to be battery/battery connection problems ( my club experience) coupled with poor radio installation(s).

More training across the board would probably be good.
After the trainer, we can fly low wing planes without further training if we want. How about sign off for each level of advancement wheather jet or prop??? I have had this thought for some time.

Good to hear that the contest CD's did not think speed was the big factor in Jet Crashes .... Good Job !
Old 02-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Phil Cole

Default RE: JPO Risk Management Initiative - 2003 Jet Event CD Survey Results

According to slide 10, the most common mechanical failure was engine flameout.

Battery and connector problems are easily avoidable.

Our club requires all aircraft be mechanically inspected by an instructor before flying at the field. Crashes are overwhelmingly due to pilot error with flameouts a distant second. Airframe failures do occur occasionally (mostly weak wood in ARFs, the occasional link popping off a helicopter, and one guy got too exuberant with his Avistar and broke the rubber bands (at least ten of them)).

The airframe inspection requirements are simple:
1. Secondary means of securing the battery connector
2. Hinges all secure
3. Keepers on clevises
4. Metal clevises must have jam nuts and threadlock.
5. No EZ connectors (those set screw things) on primary flight controls.

However, crash rate dropped significantly after the rules were put in force. I have also noticed that in recent years most ARFs pretty much comply out of the box.

The point of all this is that the jet people know what it takes to keep a plane in the air and do it, and more. At least all the ones whose aeroplanes I've seen up close do it.