Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Who should be AMA President?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Who should be AMA President?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:17 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who should be AMA President?

Who should be the next AMA President, and why?

Edit: Try to pick someone that is actually eligible to run
Old 03-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Who should be AMA President?

Hossfly?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_R

I bet it will be DB unless he appoints his successor (as is traditional). I will be astounded if he just STOPS!

I hope HC never again tries for any elected office as I do not like his 'tax and spend' approach to advertising in our hobby. It does not seem to does not present a solution to our problems, even though it may fill someone's pockets with our cash.

I THINK (therefore according to the Troll it must be a lie) that Frank, Hanson, and Mathewson will possibly run. I no longer trust Frank because of his actions in the last DVP election nomination process so that limits the choices. I am SURE Hanson wants it, but I am not sure I trust his directions as in the past they have appeared to be too District X oriented rather than organizationally directed. But that may be a local bias showing up.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

//SNIP
I hope HC never again tries for any elected office as I do not like his 'tax and spend' approach to advertising in our hobby. It does not seem to does not present a solution to our problems, even though it may fill someone's pockets with our cash.

//SNIP//.
JB, there is nothing in my proposals that should indicate that I would "tax and spend". OTOH I have no problem with making the best use of those available assets offered by others -- there for the taking -- to advertise model aviation and the AMA. There is little doubt in my mind that within a 3-year term, I could increase the AMA membership by 60% over that of when I started. Since the groundwork is already in place and while, IMO, now operates at a *rich* needle, I think it could be tuned to several thousand more RPM therefore substantially increasing the net profit / bottom line.

You and I do agree on two things: (1) tax and spend does not present a solution to our problems and (2) whatever I do propose and or engage in will not be understood by you.

Edited to add: What do you mean by "...cash." May I suggest you review Bylaws Article III Section 3, last sentence, "No member shall have any right, title, or interest in or to AMA property." (Property: 2 a : something owned or possessed; )
The AMA cash is just that -- AMA CASH. If that is the cash you are speaking of, the term "our" simply does NOT apply.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM
hanna

I would support Hoss over Mr. Write-in after his statement regarding writing letters to anyone who will listen about those bad-bad turbine pilots. Mike Krizan.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would say that the person with the most votes.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Jim Branaum

Thanks for the kind words Mike!
Old 03-21-2004, 01:27 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Dr. Sandy wouldn't get my vote until he appears on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Polo shirts with ties, cowboy boots and Brilcream just don't look presidential to me, but he's a good politician and fun to talk to.

McNeil on the other hand would mean tons of "snaps" in the AMA rag.

Jim and Horace are not eleigible but we can dream can't we? If it came down to a tie they could rastle for it, I'd like to see the match vote or no vote.

Hanson seems to have pissed off the fewest while making his constituants satisfied. Can you fault him for working for his area? (Jim does) I'd have to vote for him but history tells us it's not up to the membership.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

I THINK (therefore according to the Troll it must be a lie) ...
Jim

I really did not wish to involve myself in this discussion and further more had not until now...but just why have you made such a reference... about your thoughts...that I have somehow indicated your assertion or assertions of thought in question is some kind of deception... on your part? Maybe there is some misunderstanding...please clarify
Old 03-21-2004, 02:54 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

<SNIP>
Jim and Horace are not eleigible but we can dream can't we?<Snip>
Actually, Horrace Cain is eligible, having been a VP.

To be eligible to discharge the duties of AMA President, a nominee must be a Leader member of the AMA and must previously have served as a member of the Executive Council or as Associate Vice President or as a Contest Board member for at least one year.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
BasinBum

I stand corrected, does it matter if you quit?
Old 03-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who understands that he is supposed to serve the membership, and not vice-versa.

Gordon
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 PM
augiep38

Anyone other than DB or JB.....

Todd Poston
Old 03-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Jim Branaum

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

SNIP

Edited to add: What do you mean by "...cash." May I suggest you review Bylaws Article III Section 3, last sentence, "No member shall have any right, title, or interest in or to AMA property." (Property: 2 a : something owned or possessed; )
The AMA cash is just that -- AMA CASH. If that is the cash you are speaking of, the term "our" simply does NOT apply.

HC,
I have been very busy today supporting a large bunch of 6th graders. While I was making things happen, I was mentally searching for a way to say something nice and positive about your comments. The following is the best I have been able to come up with.

Liberals firmly believe that the average individual does not have the intelligence to spend their own money and those decisions should reside with the government. To support that approach to humanity, they like large income taxes to keep the government in lots of money they can throw away at their own special causes.

Your comments, much as all other liberals, clearly indicate that modelers do not have the smarts to spend their own money and they should give it to the AMA to be thrown where others feel it should be put. Thank you for being so precise and eloquent in proving this very point for me.

Troll,
You run hot and cold. Sometimes you pound and sometimes you complement, but NEVER with much visible in the way of consistency. So, I figure to give you something to shoot at. Then you will be entertained and maybe even come up with something of value (which you sometimes DO).

Basinbum, I would not want to pick on HC. Other than that observation, and the PM I sent you we agree.

I was going to suggest that some "bad-bad turbine pilot" play target, but that just seems to lead to more rock throwing. Some of them seem to be stuck in the mode of "you think and do MY way or die". Too bad. Hope they never run out of money.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:46 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Anyone who understands that he is supposed to serve the membership, and not vice-versa.

Gordon
Good thought, Gordon. Unfortunately, he died about 1,970 years ago.

Abel
Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 AM
hanna

Just doing my part to brighten your day Jim. Mike K.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:07 AM
F106A

Everything depends on whether DB retires. If not, he's in. If he does, I think Dave Mathewson would be an excellent President.
I just don't see DB giving up his power and influence. It's a shame that more members are not involved, but that's the way it is and all it does is help keep the status quo. Every orgainization needs new people at the top with fresh ideas, etc, to keep growing.
Oh well....
Jon
Old 03-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

It don't really matter to most of us as we do not vote or care who the next good o'l boy is to take the throne. AMA has proved they are not for the members as there is more than a few CD's who have gave their time and talent then get stabbed in the back by AMA by only refunding 1/2 their membership dues.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:05 AM
J_R

Not a bad start. The eligible names so far (in alphabetical order):

Dave Brown, incumbent
Horrace Cain, previous D6 VP
Sandy Frank, D8 VP
Rich Hansen, D10 VP
Dave Mathewson, D2 VP

Any others? Any reasons they should be elected, as opposed to why they should not be elected?

There are a lot of other people eligible. Previous and current EC members, previouls and current AVP's, and previous and current Contest Board members.

Keep in mind that only three will make the ballot. The incumbent is assured a spot on the ballot if he chooses to run, unless 3/4's of the EC refuse him a spot on the ballot.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:57 AM
abel_pranger

JR-

Two of them are good choices. Rich Hansen has day job that limits his availability. That leaves one, and he's on the wrong end of your list.

Abel
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 PM
BasinBum

Abel,
I think Solomon would make a better Pres than your man besides, isn't one Pres that walks on water enough?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Eric.Henderson

I judge people by how they act in the face of adversity and how they handle opposition to their ideas. When I find a person that listens and adds information, that perhaps was not there before, then takes all of this information and creates a plan of action I vote for them.

The president of the AMA needs to be independent from the hobby business. Most problems come from people dancing around their conflicts of interest.

The AMA needs to get back to having a leader with recognizable integrity and some sense of business acumen other than that of being in the hobby trade.

Where do you find such a person? You need look no further than AMA District-2 and Dave Mathewson.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Abel,
I think Solomon would make a better Pres than your man besides, isn't one Pres that walks on water enough?
Amen, bro
Old 03-22-2004, 05:04 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

It don't really matter to most of us as we do not vote or care who the next good o'l boy is to take the throne. AMA has proved they are not for the members as there is more than a few CD's who have gave their time and talent then get stabbed in the back by AMA by only refunding 1/2 their membership dues.
If the only reason you are being a CD is to get free membership then you are doing it for the wrong reason.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Jim Branaum

Abel,
I wonder about Wes De Cue. He always seemed to me to be right up there with intelligence and integrity. One has to wonder what the AMA could become if all EC members were as good as he and Mathewson are/were. Then we would not have to depend on President's who walk on water -

Eric,
Sorry dude, but the AMA has NOT paid for any world wide travel of any current AMA officer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.