Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Membership?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Lifetime Membership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:51 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Membership?

I'm looking for some thoughts on lifetime memberships. I'm 28, and have a fair amount of disposable income. What is it now, $1500? Do I get MA until I croak?
Old 03-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lifetime Membership?

Well..yes. MA may not be exactly what YOU want, but it fits the needs of the organization. Some times it is full of chicken and other times feathers. The hard part is actually sitting down to READ it or one CAN miss the chicken.

Now for the positives.

You actually come out ahead sometime in your 50's. The positive side is that some of the $1500 can be deducted from your income as it would be considered a donation. Call HQ for specific details you can take to your tax guy.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

A few years back I figured the average price of membership at $60. Then said it would take 25 years to pay it. Now, the $60 is a minimum. If you plane to be flying at 60 then a lifetime membership is for you. For me, I would have to be flying in my 70's.

I just hope to be around that long......don't seem that far away
Old 03-28-2004, 09:02 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

You could invest the $1500 at 4% and use the $60 income to pay the dues. They when you croak, the US Gov gets to keep the original $1500!

Becomming a life member is a comendable show of support for the hobby. Everyone will see it on your card and you can always say "Yea, I'm a life member".

Tom
Old 03-28-2004, 09:49 AM
J_R

It was never intended that a Life Membership was a good deal. It was, and is, a way to support the organization while getting something in return. Most folks that are able to comfortably part with that much money are older. For them, sometimes it's a "deal", and sometimes not. Life Memberships have to be looked at by the potential life member as a little of both. A lifetime membership and support of the AMA.

In analyzing the decision, it is also necessary to take into account inflation. In 1974 AMA dues was $16. Now it is $58. When you take into account that a Coke in a machine was $.10 and is now $.50, a cheap new car was $3000 and is now $12000 or that minimum wage was $1.50 and is now over $7 it makes the AMA membership look like a pretty good deal and the Life Membership look even better. How much will AMA Dues be 30 years from now?

A life membership is also tax deductible.

JR
Old 03-28-2004, 01:11 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

It was never intended that a Life Membership was a good deal.......snip......
How much will AMA Dues be 30 years from now?
I thought about the lifetime membership also. It would be nice to have the extra money to be able to just buy it for support reasons but since I don't I have to look at it in the terms of whether it's a "good deal" or not. For me being older it wouldn't be to my benefit. I also figured that If I paid for the lifetime membership that in the next couple of years the AMA would probably decide to let a 3rd party handle the insurance and I'd be back to the start again, lol. Jon
Old 03-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: MikeL

I'm looking for some thoughts on lifetime memberships. I'm 28, and have a fair amount of disposable income. What is it now, $1500? Do I get MA until I croak?
You requested "Thoughts" and not a judgment on a good deal or not. While I am not a life member, I should be.
I think being a *Lifer* is a good way to show support for what AMA is, what it is supposed to do, and for model aviation as an activity, sport, hobby, etc., etc. I would support all to become life members.

On the negative side, I am not certain how AMA handles a large infusion of spare cash. In addition I failed to ever become a life member in olden days. Then in 1984 I had an opportunity to donate to AMA an interest in some real-estate, such interest appraised at $40,000.00 back then. I was not even OFFERED a Life Membership. In the long range AMA mishandled the interest and realized less than $5000.00 in gain. Over a 3 year period I realized some $17,000.00 in tax gain. Had I used the 5 year option, it would have been more, but I 'wuz' a greedy little one as 2 years before, the judge had given everything I had to someone else.

I have been considering to go ahead and apply for life member and I am 68. Not a wise financial move, but what the _ell? It's just money and I can't take it with me.

Good deal or bad deal. Your judgment. Those are my thoughts.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I didn't know that it was tax deductable. That would make it a $500 right off. at 33% tax bracket. THe actual out of pocket is only $1000. This makes it better by 6-7 years. If you fly for another 20 years it will more than pay for itself.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:17 PM
J_R

Horrace

It has seemed to me, for sometime, that the least the membership could do for those willing to give of their time and serve a full term as elected AMA leaders would be to bestow on them a life membership. That would, of course, include you.

I would not be opposed to doing it retroactively for all those that have been elected (as opposed to appointed).

JR
Old 03-28-2004, 08:43 PM
the troll
Banned

Mike

if you have disposible income(btw I have a trash can you can fill and I will haul it off for a small fee) then by all means continue year by year... The membership will appreciate you for it. Oh don't forget WE do take donations...

I hope that answers your question.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: J_R

Horrace

It has seemed to me, for sometime, that the least the membership could do for those willing to give of their time and serve a full term as elected AMA leaders would be to bestow on them a life membership. That would, of course, include you.

I would not be opposed to doing it retroactively for all those that have been elected (as opposed to appointed).

JR
Again, JR, we must disagree. An elected AMA official has adequate "Perks" to justify his efforts. Besides the liberal travel allowance, basically free attendance for the big trade shows, and such, the AMA elected officers are the AMA's corporate directors. As I have said before in other forums/threads, all their expenses are deductible at Business Rates. Anyone that knows not how to make a couple bucks there, needs to confer with a LICENSED tax adviser. [>:]
Just think that going to the field, going to the club meeting, to the flying field, lunch with some modeling buddies, etc. etc. are all taxable income deductible items when not covered by the travel allowance. In addition, for one to make decisions concerning the technological advances in modeling, to provide safe and secure operations, and just be proficient in the activity, a Director CAN if so inclined expense off at least one new radio, a number of different models and equipment each year, plus a new computer each three years.

I have no need for any freebies from AMA for my work for AMA either past present or future, nor do I want such. Any elected officer that does any part of his job for a free life membership is, IMO, just greedy and not there for the benefit of AMA or the membership.

OTOH, for those appointed officials, well I could see at least a totally free membership for their years of service plus one. They too can use their travel for deductions at volunteer rates. I think the loss of CD's free membership was a slap in the face to them especially when it was not needed.

If AMA really wanted to help the Clubs and those members, the Bylaws change would delete the term Charter and replace it with CHAPTER. Then all Club Officers could use volunteer rates for charitable deductions. Of course DB says he doesn't think it would be legal, yet what DB thinks is not of my concern.[>:]
Something that has been in my mind is to try to get a couple area clubs to join with my club as an AMA Chapter. (In the Bylaws) Then have all officers file their tax returns with the volunteer deductions. Since AMA probably would not have provided the required letters of donation, it would be very amusing to watch the outcome of the scenario. Problem is the location of local clubs and C-officers adequately sophisticated to attempt the experiment.[X(]
Old 03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Jim Branaum

ORIGINAL: J_R

Horrace

JR
I might agree with that except as far as I know there is only ONE sitting AMA VP who was elected in a contested race. That means one way or another, we have appointed our officers. Either actively, as those appointed by the outgoing DVP, or tacitly as those who ran for office the first time and were not opposed.

When people spend all their time and effort proving everyoone else in the world is full of stupid thieves, folks begin to wonder why they have that particular viewpoint. I also find it interesting that there are folks willing to suggest others take actions that have great liabilities as an experiement. UGH!
Old 03-29-2004, 03:12 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
I'd take the $1500 and get another 1/4 scale gasser, then again there's always booze and hookers......
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Hossfly

I might agree with that except as far as I know there is only ONE sitting AMA VP who was elected in a contested race.
Jim, methinks that Frank, Mcneill, & Oberdieck were contested in their last elections.

I also find it interesting that there are folks willing to suggest others take actions that have great liabilities as an experiement. UGH!
Obviously a slur to my post concerning the tax implications of an AMA Chapter. Well JB all I can say is that there are two personalities each referenced by persons much smarter than you and/or I.

The poet Drummond stated: "He who dares not is a slave." I am not yet a slave.

Lord Boyd Orr stated, "If people have to choose between freedom and sandwiches, they will take sandwiches." Do you, JB, want chips too?

About the only real liability in the personal income-tax system is failure to report income. While some deductions may be border-line, then there is no liability other than they be disallowed and one will pay the tax plus some penalty and interest. BFD! Again, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
J_R

Horrace

There was a time that I might have agreed with you about Chapters. That was before my club became part of one.

The Orange County Modelers Association has set up a chapter with 14 chartered clubs. The twist has been amazing. The members of the 14 clubs are NOT allowed to fly at the chapter site, unless they pay additional fees. Even getting onto the site is limited to those that will pay... at the least, for daily passes. Something does not seem quite right about that.

To a very large extent, the chartered clubs have had their power in the arrangement taken away by the leadership of the chapter. Technicallly, the power stilll lies with the chartered clubs, but, in fact their input is so limited as to be useless.

You have to read the by-laws, etc, to really appreciate what has been done.

I am sure there are many other chapters out there that are run as envisioned, this is just not one.

http://www.flyocma.com/