Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA certified instructors

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA certified instructors

Old 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM
the troll
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA certified instructors

I know I really embrace Rule 9. before there was no challenge to touching the tail but now seeing how close I can get without touching is much more fun...of course I can't always prevent the touch but O well
Old 04-22-2004, 01:40 PM
changed
Banned

Really I don't care one way or the other! there are no tail touch police at my field. but if you want for the sake of arguing I could act like I care.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: squintsf16

Really I don't care one way or the other! there are no tail touch police at my field. but if you want for the sake of arguing I could act like I care.
I thought you left. What's the matter, someone gore YOUR bull?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was at one of those places the other night where the ladies are dancing for $1 bills, and there was the Rule #9 sign up there on the stage.
So I did the same thing[>:]

ORIGINAL: the troll

I know I really embrace Rule 9. before there was no challenge to touching the tail but now seeing how close I can get without touching is much more fun...of course I can't always prevent the touch but O well
Old 04-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can meet. Odds are, I'll be at your next fun fly event. I like going home with other clubs prizes!!

//snip//

If they all showed up with their own planes, said they wouldn't be able to join the JETERO club any time soon and still wanted a free lesson from HC himself , then what?
#1 above: Got a Warbird Race Sat. and an Open Fly-In (FREE) the next Sat. Come on by. Glad for anyone from another club to come and take the prizes. That is why we have sanctioned events. In the June Pattern contest, Jetero members cannot even fly in the meet except in the Sportsman class.

#2. If a bunch of non-AMA people showed up with their own models, wanting a first flight, then we could just defer the model from its owner to one down the line. IIRC the rule says the model cannot belong to the person getting the instruction, but does not state the instructor must own the model. OTOH that is why the Club has several Introductory Pilots on the AMA list.
If they wanted just HC himself, well HC has a say in that. They can either wait for HC's convenience or take otherwise. NBFD here.

Now, TED don't you think such questions/statements as those quoted from you above are rather childish? Hey if bashing HC is your gig, have a ball, yet make yourself look just a bit more sophisticated than what you display here. You're wasting our time and RCU's band space.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
//snip//

Now, TED don't you think such questions/statements as those quoted from you above are rather childish? Hey if bashing HC is your gig, have a ball, yet make yourself look just a bit more sophisticated than what you display here. You're wasting our time and RCU's band space.
Do you really want to search past threads and see who has the upper hand on the waste? I can assure you it is not I. As for childish, You seem to have taken the upper hand on the name calling on this one.

Time to go home and build. Maybe if tomorrow is a slow day at work we can harass each other more. [sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-22-2004, 06:24 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: tedster

Time to go home and build. Maybe if tomorrow is a slow day at work we can harass each other more. [sm=punching.gif]
Let's call it a draw. Ted, I'm in agreement with you on the issue. I frankly don't give a rat's patootey about recruiting for either the club or for AMA. Damned if I'm going waste my precious flying time instructing some newbie for that purpose. I have no problem with HC or anybody else doing it though. Aside from the kvetching of people whose real hobby is making rules, most everything about flying a model airplane is a matter of individual choice. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Abel
Old 04-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Ok,

Draw [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-03-2015, 12:55 PM
PBS_Rudder

Well guys
Where I live, Maricopa, AZ there is not a club. I have been flying RC for 40 years. I am a sport flyer, I need help when I get a new plane. The nearest club is 25 miles away. So the only help I can get is from a club? Where can I a get list of AMA members who live in Maricopa, AZ so I can contact them to see if they would be interested in helping other RC flyers get a good srart in RC Flying by starting an AMA club with experenced flyers that can help new flyers. If I have to start a club so be it.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Understand that they probably aren't going to give you contact information for all the members around you but you can start with calling 1-800-I FLY AMA and talking to them and seeing what they can do for you.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 PM
TimJ

Horrace, great job helping the kid out. I have a problem personally with essentially running the guy off after 3 visits. I understand trying to get members to your club. But in this case, the person was not going to be around long enough to make sense financially to join the club. Shouldn't there be some sort of good faith effort put forth to make sure the person can fly, adding to the big group of R/C Pilots out there? Instead now, there is a big chance he will go to some park, or worse, toss the airplane in the garage to never be seen again. How does that help the forward progression of new members in our hobby?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
PBS_Rudder

I called this # and just I thought, they would not help , the privacy issues stopped them from giving me any info on AMA RC flyers in my area. I guess the only thing to do is go to the local hobby shops and see if I can find RC flyers living in my area, the problem with that is the hobby shops in my area are not stocked with many RC airplanes or parts mostly static models and RC Cars. Looks like I have a long road to go.
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Understand that they probably aren't going to give you contact information for all the members around you but you can start with calling 1-800-I FLY AMA and talking to them and seeing what they can do for you.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
I called this # and just I thought, they would not help , the privacy issues stopped them from giving me any info on AMA RC flyers in my area. I guess the only thing to do is go to the local hobby shops and see if I can find RC flyers living in my area, the problem with that is the hobby shops in my area are not stocked with many RC airplanes or parts mostly static models and RC Cars. Looks like I have a long road to go.
Guys, I think this link will help you find what you need. http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM
TimJ

here is a list within 50 miles of Maricopa,AZ: you are in between two major cities that do have large clubs.

[TABLE="width: 700"]
[TR="bgcolor: #5D7B9D"]
[TD]Name[/TD]
[TD]Number[/TD]
[TD]Members[/TD]
[TD]Contact[/TD]
[TD]Info[/TD]
[TD]District[/TD]
[TD]*Intro Pilots[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #F7F6F3"]
[TD]ARIZONA MODEL AVIATORS
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]1600[/TD]
[TD]251[/TD]
[TD]PAUL GOLDSMITH
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 480-588-6941
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]ARIZONA WING NUTZ
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]4702[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]IAIN GLITHERO
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 480/831-1905
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]HARBOR SOARING SOCIETY
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]128[/TD]
[TD]83[/TD]
[TD]JAMES HANSON
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 949/646-3603
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MINIATURE AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]3342[/TD]
[TD]88[/TD]
[TD]DOUGLAS BOWMAN
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 509-318-0096
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]SILENT ELECTRIC FLYERS OF SAN DIEGO
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]3078[/TD]
[TD]343[/TD]
[TD]PAUL GUIDICE
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 619-697-0516
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]SUPERSTITION R C HELICOPTER ASSN
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]3803[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]ALAN MOULTON
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 480.699.9831
Visit Website[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]WHITE OAK HILLTOP FLIERS
Flying Site Details[/TD]
[TD]3218[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[TD]DALE WALKER
Email Contact[/TD]
[TD]Phone: 4809248406 [/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by TimJ; 03-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 PM
PBS_Rudder

Default Clubs near Maricopa, AZ

Maricopa, AZ zip codes 85138 or 85139 does not bring up any AMA clubs. However zip code(old Maricopa zip)85239 brings up clubs within 25 miles. The AMA has not updated their site in 4 years. The only thing is that their flight sites are 30 plus miles from Maricopa, AZ. If I can find enough RC Flyers in and around Maricopa, AZ I will start a new club. I have 2 people so far. There is a lot of desert around Maricopa,AZ with a lot of potential sites that are10 miles or less and they are mostly wide open spaces. I will keep trying to find people in Maricopa, AZ. In time I will be able to form a club. One problem is the Indians own most of the land around Maricopa, AZ, but there is some private land that I will look at for a flying site if I can't get a site on private I will look into the Indian land for a site..

Last edited by PBS_Rudder; 03-04-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Actually the club locator is updated yearly when the clubs renew their insurance cert.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM
PBS_Rudder

Put in my zip 85138 and see what you get. I got no clubs. Maricopa, AZ uses 85138 and 85139. I have lived here 3 years and 85138 is the largest zip code. Maricopa, AZ has about 46,000 plus people. I could be that since there is no club in Maricopa, AZ it comes up zero
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
PBS_Rudder

what zip code did you use
Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

The problem with the club finder is that it uses the club's mailing address, which is usually the home of the club's secretary. I know of no method to get member contacts from the AMA. One thing you might try doing is contacting one of the local AVPs and see if they can help, or perhaps contact the District VP directly. They may know someone, etc.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:52 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Go to the closest hobby shop.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
Maricopa, AZ zip codes 85138 or 85139 does not bring up any AMA clubs. However zip code(old Maricopa zip)85239 brings up clubs within 25 miles. The AMA has not updated their site in 4 years. The only thing is that their flight sites are 30 plus miles from Maricopa, AZ. If I can find enough RC Flyers in and around Maricopa, AZ I will start a new club. I have 2 people so far. There is a lot of desert around Maricopa,AZ with a lot of potential sites that are10 miles or less and they are mostly wide open spaces. I will keep trying to find people in Maricopa, AZ. In time I will be able to form a club. One problem is the Indians own most of the land around Maricopa, AZ, but there is some private land that I will look at for a flying site if I can't get a site on private I will look into the Indian land for a site..
One thing you might try is to go to the club that is within 30 mi and ask around to see if anybody lives in/near Maricopa that might be willing to help you fly a new model. As for forming a club, you have enough people now if they are adults and so as per AMA conditions can serve as club officers. Sign up your dog(s) and/or children under 19 to meet the minimum of 5 members. Dogs are generally under 19 yrs old anyway, so either can join AMA free. Don't pass on Indian land without at least asking. Some of my flying buds moved to a reservation for accommodation after their flying site was lost to suburban sprawl. The tribe did more than provide the land, but also helped with the field improvements and evoked the spirits in a ceremony on opening day to look upon the enterprise with favor!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Go to the closest hobby shop.
That's probably farther than the nearest flying site!!

http://goo.gl/maps/AWVcy

Maricopa is sort of "out of town"
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM
PBS_Rudder

I have sent emails to those clubs no reply so far.
I have 3 people now will visit the local hobby shops tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:40 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
That's probably farther than the nearest flying site!!

http://goo.gl/maps/AWVcy

Maricopa is sort of "out of town"
Be that as it may, Hobby shops often have info AMA doesn't have. They usually know of groups that get together on regular basis...I know... not the usual answer given here that depends on AMA for direction.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Arizona Model Aviators Charter #1600 in mesa AZ has a Unique way of dealing with the Intro Pilot Program. We have stated on our web site that we will instruct anyone with out AMA membership under the intro pilot program. If needed we supply the plane fuel/batt budy box ect for a period of 60 days (the new Intro Period as set by the AMA) from the time of their first flight. We encourage them to purchase their own equipment but it is not necessary. Most have elected to get their own equipment and an AMA membership. Then we don't instruct under the Intro pilot but we still give them a chance to decide for the 60 days. Most have decided to jouin the club also. The club has 10 or 12 Intro Pilots but only 2 of us are retired and most of the perspective students are retired Snow Birds. A few are Locals as well. But sofar the Intro Program ha worked well. Many of the Older guys don't have the passion of flying that younger people have but I personally make my self available when ever ... Mainly be cause "I have no place to go and the rest of my life to get there and I like it that way." I am pretty much at the field if the day ends in a "Y" except for windY or rainY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.