Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA certified instructors

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
PBS_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HoundDog
I started out in Arplanes in 1938. Sticks, tissue paper and Testors glue. I began RC in the late 1950's. I was a electronic tech and I built my own TX, RX using tubes, and used rubber band escapements. I have built RC planes,cars and boats, done freeflight,control line and built 3 homebuilt experimental aircraft. I love anything that flys. I got the wrong idea that AMA did the instructors. There a bunch of RC flyers that fly at a desert field in Casa Grande. There is no club, but they fly gas and electric planes, some of them fly in the IMAC contests. Some fly large gas models. These guys are the greatest they bend over backwards to help you. So I need to find RC Flyers that live in Maricopa, AZ so we can all get together and find a place to fly in Maricopa, AZ and have the same friendship I have found in Casa Grande. If I have to start a club then I will, I was an officer in the Bald Eagel Squadron in the White Mountians, based in Taylor, AZ and was the Pres of a boat club in Tempe, AZ. I will visit the 2 hobby shops in Maricopa and try to find RC flyers in Maricopa.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The Arizona Model Aviators Charter #1600 in mesa AZ has a Unique way of dealing with the Intro Pilot Program. We have stated on our web site that we will instruct anyone with out AMA membership under the intro pilot program. If needed we supply the plane fuel/batt budy box ect for a period of 60 days (the new Intro Period as set by the AMA) from the time of their first flight. We encourage them to purchase their own equipment but it is not necessary. Most have elected to get their own equipment and an AMA membership. Then we don't instruct under the Intro pilot but we still give them a chance to decide for the 60 days. Most have decided to jouin the club also. The club has 10 or 12 Intro Pilots but only 2 of us are retired and most of the perspective students are retired Snow Birds. A few are Locals as well. But sofar the Intro Program ha worked well. Many of the Older guys don't have the passion of flying that younger people have but I personally make my self available when ever ... Mainly be cause "I have no place to go and the rest of my life to get there and I like it that way." I am pretty much at the field if the day ends in a "Y" except for windY or rainY
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another point on the OP question. I have seen it advertised by a "University" , offering degrees and instruction with UAS/drone aircraft, for someone looking into it as a career. They advertise that you will fly with an "AMA certified instructor" . False advertising?

Another point. I am an instructor with our club. We have had no real beginner pilots requiring instruction in at least 2 years. Maybe even 3. Maybe the Park foamies have taken that job away, but it is interesting. Our club hovers around 120 members annually.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
I will visit the 2 hobby shops in Maricopa and try to find RC flyers in Maricopa.
Holy Crap!! You have TWO hobby shops in Maricopa??? The place has changed a bit from back in the late 80's when I was driving out to Estrella to fly full size gliders!!! Drove through there last year and was blown away!! But TWO hobby shops?? Lucky man!! I live in Orange County, CA (population 3,010,000) and we have a total of about 6 hobby shops, and 2 of those are Hobby People!!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many cases a club will have the better pilots do the instructing of newbees. Yesterday I witnessed one club member helping another guy fly a Hobbico trainer with a .83 4 stroke. Twice they came with in 6 feet of other pilots flying 3 flight stations to their left. When confronted by another club member he said they just laughed it off. I didn't hear it but i would the indivudal on the master laughed ... but he did wait way too long to take control the plane was in a 75 degree bank head high when it went past the guys to the left.

The very first club I jounced in '86 the Milwaukee Flying Electrons now Just Flying Electron is the only AMA Chartered that had a report card for the student pilot and the student had to be certifed to SOLO by 2 different club instructors. It doesn't mater if your Andrew Jeskey and U want to Jouin the Flying Electrons U must pass the test of 10 simple things to prove U can handle the plane U R flying.

Also the Arizona Model Aviators Mesa AZ has a formal flight instruction program and a book of about 8 pages that explain how instruction will progress and what is expected of the student befor they solo ... some people follow it but it is not mandatory ...

I ounce wanted to institute the same report card for the LakeLand R/C club in Oconomowoc Wi and I wanted it Retroactive to all members. Every club has some small minority of it's members that really should not be off the buddy box. That's a whole different discussion of it's own. Well most of the LakeLand (Poor flyers mainly) wanted to Lynch me.

I ask U how many people do U know that are if not just lousy flyers but very close to being very dangerous.
Every club as a couple.
JMHO
Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 PM
PBS_Rudder

HoundDog
There is aways some who push the rules to the limit. When I was flying at the Taylor airport one of the members flew into my hanger where I my Glassair luck the door was closed cause he put a good size hole in my hanger door. We flew off the runway with coms to talk to any aircraft that came into land. I was flying a gaint P-47 and needed the runway to land.
Ron

Many cases a club will have the better pilots do the instructing of newbees. Yesterday I witnessed one club member helping another guy fly a Hobbico trainer with a .83 4 stroke. Twice they came with in 6 feet of other pilots flying 3 flight stations to their left. When confronted by another club member he said they just laughed it off. I didn't hear it but i would the indivudal on the master laughed ... but he did wait way too long to take control the plane was in a 75 degree bank head high when it went past the guys to the left.

The very first club I jounced in '86 the Milwaukee Flying Electrons now Just Flying Electron is the only AMA Chartered that had a report card for the student pilot and the student had to be certifed to SOLO by 2 different club instructors. It doesn't mater if your Andrew Jeskey and U want to Jouin the Flying Electrons U must pass the test of 10 simple things to prove U can handle the plane U R flying.

Also the Arizona Model Aviators Mesa AZ has a formal flight instruction program and a book of about 8 pages that explain how instruction will progress and what is expected of the student befor they solo ... some people follow it but it is not mandatory ...

I ounce wanted to institute the same report card for the LakeLand R/C club in Oconomowoc Wi and I wanted it Retroactive to all members. Every club has some small minority of it's members that really should not be off the buddy box. That's a whole different discussion of it's own. Well most of the LakeLand (Poor flyers mainly) wanted to Lynch me.

I ask U how many people do U know that are if not just lousy flyers but very close to being very dangerous.
Every club as a couple.
JMHO
Old 03-06-2015, 02:47 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The problem with the club finder is that it uses the club's mailing address, which is usually the home of the club's secretary. I know of no method to get member contacts from the AMA. One thing you might try doing is contacting one of the local AVPs and see if they can help, or perhaps contact the District VP directly. They may know someone, etc.

It really does not seem like a major problem. Especially when you can check into further details like flying site information http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=1600 IF the club secretary has filled in the needed information, or if you click on the clubs website link, again if the secretary has filled in the needed information. Once on the club website you are investigating, often times there will be a list of officers and their contact information. This is probably the easiest and fastest way without hanging around a hobby shop all day.

Another way is to check out this link http://www.rcgroups.com/places/ If people in your area are members of that forum and have posted a hot spot to fly, you may find it there. That would be another place to check out to help gather R/C pilots in your area.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

His issue is that he knows where the clubs are and they are too far from him. He wants to find AMA members in his city, which a ways from the rest of the population area and flying sites in the Phoenix area. My point stands that the club finder is not an easy way to find AMA members in areas where there are not any clubs nearby. I think it is great that he wants to start a chartered club in Maricopa!! He is lucky that there are 2 hobby shops in town where he can post info.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:37 PM
PBS_Rudder

Thanks for all your help. If you look at all the flying sites south of the Phoenix near Maricopa you wont find any. I believe that a club is needed in this area to keep RC Flyers from travleing so far to their site. We have a very large area to find a site. Thanks for all the help.
Ron
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Holy Crap!! You have TWO hobby shops in Maricopa??? The place has changed a bit from back in the late 80's when I was driving out to Estrella to fly full size gliders!!! Drove through there last year and was blown away!! But TWO hobby shops?? Lucky man!! I live in Orange County, CA (population 3,010,000) and we have a total of about 6 hobby shops, and 2 of those are Hobby People!!

Just checked the Prices at Estrella . they start a $200/hour of flight time with instructor. I don't know if I want to fly again for that much ... Especially where the FAA is going to finally drop the 3rd medical. Just as a not in the past 5 years Milwaukee area has lost 2 of it best R/C Hobby shop. Here in PHX area I know of at least 3 that have closed their doors.
R/Cers are the Cheapest guys I know. Just listen to them talk at the field about the great deal they got from Hobby King, Tower or other mail order place after they went to the local hobby shop to check out some item. Man these EL'Cheepos saved a knuckle Then wonder why they can't find a desceant hobby shop anymore. Discussing.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

Prices at Estrella were a lot lower in 1991 when I got my glider ticket.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your help. If you look at all the flying sites south of the Phoenix near Maricopa you wont find any. I believe that a club is needed in this area to keep RC Flyers from travleing so far to their site. We have a very large area to find a site. Thanks for all the help.
Ron
Hmm...

It seems to me that if one is committed to flying RC one should be willing to travel to where peers and friends can be found. My club's nearest field is ~35 miles from my home and the main field is almost 55 miles away. I have joined another club with a field ~20 miles away, but it is not the same.

If you can create a club with a flying site, that is good. If not consider the travel time and distance as the cost of friends.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:26 AM
HoundDog

Ron
I heard There is a new field in Casandra they just got it started last fall ... It's "Lectric" only ...and about 21 miles from Micapoa but the website says

The use of Electric and glow fuel aircraft 10 pounds or less are allowed at our field.
http://www.casagrandercflyers.com/

The AMA History Program Presents:
History of the CASA GRANDE RC FLYERS (CGRC Flyers)
The following article was written by Nancy Friedman and submitted to the AMA History Program in February of 2013.
In the fall of 2011, two residents of Casa Grande made a request of the Parks and Recreation Department for a radio controlled air field in a city park north of Casa Grande. Due to concerns of noise for neighboring houses, injury and liability issues, and the close proximity to the Casa Grande airport, the Parks Department opposed the establishment of the field.

Following up on an alternative site mentioned at the Parks and Recreation meeting, members of the two largest private RC clubs in the area organized a club which would allow all valley RC flyers to join together in their love of RC flying unfettered by residency requirements. This club, called the Casa Grande RC Flyers (CGRC Flyers), had a membership drive in June and accumulated approximately 70 members. A Board of four officers was appointed with Alan Friedman as President, Richard Beck as Vice President, Craig Rice as Treasurer, and Ron St. Pierre as Secretary. This board organized another presentation for the Parks and Recreation Department which included a video from the Oro Velley club and a visit to the Robson Ranch airfield. Although the Parks and Recreation Department thought the use of the land near the shooting range at Casa Grande Mountain would be a good site for the new RC field, the Mayor and City Manager rejected the site because it felt there was not enough land causing an infringement on neighboring lands not owned by the city and the local Trap and Skeet club.

Not to be detoured, Alan Friedman contacted the head of the Trap and Skeet club and the Chamber of Commerce. Having had previous experience with neighboring shooting and RC flying clubs in Colorado, the head of the local Trap and Skeet club had no problem with the establishment of a neighboring flying field in Casa Grande. It was pointed out to the Chamber President, the CGRC flying club would hold events to which the public would be invited and would also help other clubs/churches with fundraising at those events plus teach young flyers, such as the Boy Scouts, how to fly. An email to all the members of the CGRC Flyers was sent encouraging them to write to their city councilman asking them to reconsider a field for their club. The numerous emails received by the Mayor and city council members from the clubs membership caused the issue of an RC flying field to gain life again. A meeting was again requested by Mr. Friedman, with the Mayor and City Manager. They agreed to meet. At the meeting, the Mayor and City Manager expressed their real concerns of liability and fire. Mr. Friedman addressed both those concerns by explaining that only AMA members could use the field, since their membership included liability insurance. The city officials warmed to the idea but wanted to discuss the terms of a lease, field design and other safety issues. It was determine by making the club a non-profit corporation and having the club obtain the AMA's field insurance, the city could then lease the land to the club and avoid liability. In October 2012, the AMA authorized funding for the Casa Grande RC Flyers to become a non-profit incorporated entity. The survey of the land was completed and what was thought to be only 2.8 acres of land for the airfield was indeed almost 11 acres.

When all the paperwork was completed for the incorporation of the CGRC Flyers, the proposed lease of the 11 acres was requested of the city council at its December 17, 2012 meeting. The only question asked at that City Council meeting of the President of the Casa Grande RC Flyers, Alan Friedman, was if AMA membership was required to fly at the field. He explained the requirement of membership in the AMA was how the field and membership would be insured for liability purposes. No other questions were asked, but instead comments were made praising the fortitude with which this project continued over so many months and the wonderful collaboration between the private and public sector to finalize the establishment of the airfield. It was stated usually there was only a request of the city council for help, but nothing in return for the council or city. However, in this case, the club was going to host public events and would teach others to fly such as local Boy Scout troops.

One more reading of the request for the establishment of the field was read and approved at the January 7, 2013, meeting. The official lease was signed on January 22, 2013 for the sum of one dollar a year for up to eight years with a renewable clause. A meeting of the community service director, public works director, and board members of the CGRC Flyer club was held on February 1, 2013 to discuss what the city was going to do for the final preparation of the airfield site and its completion date. The final completion date was estimated to be February 22, 2013.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"] [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Officers (L to R) Richard Beck, VP, Ron St Pierre, Secretary, Craig Rice, Treasurer & Alan Friedman, President[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]
The Casa Grande RC Flyers is an Academy Of Model Aeronautics club in Casa Grande, Arizona. AMA or MAAC membership is required to fly at our field.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-07-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Man. I am sure I seen those guys pictures on the Post Office bulletin board...

...Hmmm...I've known of many that were certifiable...but have never known of one that is AMA certified....

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 03-11-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:16 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Oh well...
Old 03-13-2015, 07:33 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf

...Hmmm...I've known of many that were certifiable...but have never known of one that is AMA certified....
Drum roll ............ Bada Bing!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf

Actually I believe there should be Certified CBO/AMA Instructors same as CD's Clubs, 55Lb Inspectors, Turbine waivers, ECT.
Might eliminate some of the Dangerous Flyers. Also should be a CBO/AMA mandatory minimum proficiency level test administered by CBO/AMA Certified Instructors to SOLO on any Chartered AMA field.
Sure all U's Guys thought of this great Idea man.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I believe there should be Certified CBO/AMA Instructors same as CD's Clubs, 55Lb Inspectors, Turbine waivers, ECT.
Might eliminate some of the Dangerous Flyers. Also should be a CBO/AMA mandatory minimum proficiency level test administered by CBO/AMA Certified Instructors to SOLO on any Chartered AMA field.
Sure all U's Guys thought of this great Idea man.
NOT going through all the above pages, but will offer a few points.

MY OPINION: Since I have been a so-called Introductory Pilot since the first program was founded, and watched various clubs react to their own method/s, ways, desires, ETC. IMO the real reason that various "Introductory Pilot" CLUB programs are so different is because AMA cannot control - no matter how much they try or even wish to - each club chartered by AMA. AMA is not a RC Police Force for model aircraft clubs. AMA simply "tries" to furnish good information for a club to have some thoughts and ideas on how for a group of modelers to set-up and run a club and to provide a good set of various rules for the club and for various competition programs. In addition AMA has a good insurance program that can assist clubs and AMA members to have an insurance program that such might not be available to non-AMA member fliers. In addition AMA furnishes good info. for clubs to use for training new aeromodelers, especially RC types.

There is considerable information on the AMA web site for any AMA Clubs, members, etc. to obtain good information should a club or member wish to use.

wwww.modelaircraft.org/files/917.pdf is a good start. If you fail to read and comprehend the first paragraph, then I suggest you do NOT bother!

Now here is one that is an excellent chore for AMA Chartered Clubs to use for those that are really wanting to be real Introductory Pilot Instructors.
The program is difficult for most RC pilots. With a good Trainer model, it is rather easy but takes some work. With other models, I find it takes a tad bit
of practice and sometimes rather embarrassing! BTDT! This is the Flight Proficiency Demonstration for those wanting to be Intro.-Pilots, "Instructors"
or "Trainers" as some call themselves. If you cannot perform this exercise with good proficiency then get out and practice. You CAN do it but the average
RCer sport flier will not do well without some practice. www.modelaircraft.org/files/921.pdf Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:37 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by hounddog
actually i believe there should be certified cbo/ama instructors same as cd's clubs, 55lb inspectors, turbine waivers, ect.
Might eliminate some of the dangerous flyers. also should be a cbo/ama mandatory minimum proficiency level test administered by cbo/ama certified instructors to solo on any chartered ama field.
sure all u's guys thought of this great idea man.
rofl!!!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
TimJ

oops. slow freaking rcu server.....