Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

always glad to throw in my two penies......

Hubb
Old 06-28-2002, 05:05 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by visioneer_one
I can see this thread going nowhere positive

It never does.....
Old 06-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Ed

This entire issue has evolved because there are some people out there who fly irresponsibly at sanctioned events. If we had policed ourselves right along, it would not have become an issue. YOU BLEW IT GUYS ! And now, since you were unable to do it yourself, the AMA is going to take steps to do it for you.

Threads like this are good because it creates an awareness, and just maybe some of the awareness will filter down to the people who need it, including some RCU moderators who never fly beyond their own field. You've got to get out and around guys, or you will never see the problem.

The problem is not with the guy who wants hover while he has the field to himself, it's with the discourteous and irresponsible, who want to hog center stage, and put others in jeopardy.

Once again, it's a good thread. Lets keep it civil.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:19 PM
wgeffon

Originally posted by Jim Lynch
The problem is not with the guy who wants hover while he has the field to himself, it's with the discourteous and irresponsible, who want to hog center stage, and put others in jeopardy.

Jim,

I am sure you know that doesnt just apply to hovering. You've been to enough events to see people buzzing the field every 10 seconds with a large gasser going full throttle. Its the same thing.

As I have said many many times, its about courtesy..
Old 06-28-2002, 06:12 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can a thread about making your airplane act like a helicopter go anywhere positive? Sorry, just don't see the excitement. As a demo...fine. Because, to a spectator, is spectacular to see for the first time. But to be subjected to that constantly while flying, nothing could be more annoying.
Build it scale, fly it scale. Now that's something everybody loves. Everybody knows that low fast passes, with the maximum view of the aircraft, is probably in the repertoire of every pilot. Having to forego doing it because someone spends your whole flight hogging flightline airspace is a little more than annoying. Set aside time for all torquerollers to do their thing. Noone wants to prevent you from doing it. Just all of you do it together and get it out of the way so that the rest can fly their airplanes like, well...AIRPLANES.
My $.04 (inflation)
Old 06-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Jim_McIntyre

the beat goes on.

Once more round the circuit.
Oh look, another low fast pass, how thrilling!
Such skill!
Wish I could do that. :tired:

and so it devolves.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Default "My $.04 (inflation)"

ah yes, I remember when $.02 could buy you a good opinion. a penny just isnt worth what it used to be......

wherether we go round and round is irrelevent. once we reach the right people with these discussions, maybe we wont have to go round and round anymore.

Hubb
Old 06-28-2002, 06:41 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a skill issue at all...and you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:21 PM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

( Do unto others as you would have them do unto you )

Keep em fly'in, John
Old 06-28-2002, 11:39 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our main rules is "No aerobatics over the runway." You can move out a little ways but not over the runway. it is for takeoffs, landings or flyby. Somebody hovers their chopper out their and another guy comes by and blows it out, Hey Mr chopper man owes him a plane.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:21 AM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default Hovering

Hi Guy's, my understanding of the topic area that is under consideration is a few instances where while the aircraft was in a hovering position, a person walks up to the plane and holds the tail of the plane, I don't think the AMA is trying to ban hovering at all..........Bud
Old 06-29-2002, 01:43 AM
Brokenprop
My Feedback: (6)

I hear this argument about the electric fliers doing their thing in a 100 foot cube. I hear it about the heli's. I hear it about the hot dogs. I hear it about the high speed low passes. I hear it about the pylon practicers and the combat fliers. I hear it about the Jets. And lets not forget the gliders and the park fliers.

The only thing that really bothers me is the sound of an engine headed right for my head when I'm trying to fly my own hazardous device.

All of these sportsmen have something to teach me. I'm not jealous, I wish I could do that. And you know what? It's amazing how willing most of these people are to help you to learn, if you ask.

I get a big thrill watching a talented pilot do things that are difficult. If I feel uncomfortable flying at the same time, I just park myself on a convenient bench and enjoy the potential devastation...er...show.

Today we watched in anticipation as two clowns did counter laps about 2 feet off the pad. That gave them two chances every time around for a midair and two chances per lap to smack each other in the head. If anything had happened, there wouldn't have been a dry eye at the field, and I don't mean from crying. They got bored after a couple of flights and left. Then the rest of us could fly. Pretty entertaining for the price of admission. And quite unsafe.

There is a lot of air and a lot of time in a day at the field. A little timing usually nets you a space free of targets. If you get some jerk who won't go away, few of us are too shy to say something. As the guys are fond of saying after an altercation, you can just feel the love. I think what we need is more tolerance. (And a really nasty safety officer) We even stopped flying for 15 min. one day, to let a guy shoot an inflated giant rocket. Everyone liked it.

Sometimes we are like the birds on my feeder. They get so mad at each other over where everyone gets to sit, that none of them get anything to eat.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:46 AM
wgeffon

Originally posted by Brokenprop

Sometimes we are like the birds on my feeder. They get so mad at each other over where everyone gets to sit, that none of them get anything to eat.

Perfect!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:50 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I apologize to any one that was inflamed by my post, sorry it was not within the guidelines of RCU, but was my poor attempt at a little humor to lighten up the overreaction of some posts of the subject at hand. I would love to be able to hover any place on the field, and someday hope to make a low level pass with a war bird. I guess I will now be in the Mods penalty box for a while.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:02 AM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*sigh*

Another hovering post....I guess it will raise some awarness....or raise something. We have 11/2 people at our field that can actually do it...me being the half. The other whole person is pretty courteous and does it away from the runway so that others may land if they wish.

Crashmaster....scale flight is not exciting nor very possible with our models. The most scale flight would be an aerobatic model in an aerobatic box......which is pretty cool. A 1/6 scale P-47 doing low-pass after low-pass in 600' isn't really scale. The warbird guys love it...I kinda like it too...but it's not scale. A scale warbird flight would be to take off, fly straight and level for three hours, do some turning and shooting for ten minutes, then fly home, straight and level, for three more hours, then do a low break to land. Its just not possible with a model.

Hovering a model is very difficult, doing a low pass isn't. However, either one becomes tedious if that's all you see. The 3D guys need to be courteous, the warbird guys need to be tolerant.

They are really just model airplanes guys, everybody can enjoy at the same time.

Bob
Old 06-29-2002, 04:43 AM
Mayur

I would not say that guys doing 3D are not courteous...3D for me is a trance! its nirvana!! Thats why a 3D pilot likes to hover or torque roll his plane at 2 feet! Its certainlly not with the intention of creating nuisance...How many pilots who do 3D would not second me?? I feel 3D/Hovering is a feeling that is achieved only after one does it! So its kinda difficult for a non 3D guy to appreciate it as much as a 3D guy would... At the same I have all the respect for the non 3D guys..
So I would agree with bob by rephrasing his statement a bit!

"The 3D guys need to be considerate, the warbird guys need to be tolerant."

Lets appreciate all forms of flying rather than debating on these petty issues! long live RC!!

cheers!
Old 06-29-2002, 06:44 AM
matlok

"The 3D guys need to be considerate, the warbird guys need to be tolerant."
Hmm....here's a solution!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15929_4669.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	10088  
Old 06-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default short fields

The model I fly called the Flippin disk is made for small areas and low level manuvers froma hover position, Me and a buddy do it over the runway but usually on the far side, We have always made it clear to anyone else flying if they want us out of the way just yell and we will move out, we don't get close to other pilots and are very skilled at paying attention to other traffic without a spotter. We very seldom get complaints and if we do we do what is needed to satisfy the person within reason. As it has been mentioned if you keep in touch with other pilots and use a little common sence we can all just Get along and have fun. I don;t know about you , but flying big ovals in the sky is a bit boring after the first couple laps, Thats probibly why full scale pilots started doing that barnstorming stuff as well. Most fly-ins would be pretty boring if all we did was fly in patterns.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Tattoo

As for Tatoo's comment re helicopters.
Been to a heli meet lately? It hasn't been about hovering for years...

A word of advice: Gain some experience b4 inserting foot.
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd when voicing an opinion, maybe I should try to add more of them little faces Don't need more experience, been around this stuff for over 25 years, and have a heli field less than 2 miles down the road, those guys are incredable. My last post here was just a personal opinion. You know who else blow me away? The CL guys. The local CL club field is less than a mile down the road and I can watch them from my second floor balcony. How do they think that fast? Anyways, I think my opinion on the 3d guys has been formed out of frustration with the media (magazines) and has nothing to do with the activity itself which I have nothing against and do think is pretty cool. I think it's ashame, and I think the Mag's have done the activity a great diservice by the amount of publicity the activity recieves. It's like a good song that makes it to number 1 on the charts...by the billionth time you hear it you've had enough and can't stand it. I'm a hard core combat guy, so believe me I know all about consideration of a chosen activity and consideration of the other guys at the field. I also know all about the incredable skills it takes to excell at different disciplines. Several years ago I let all my magazine suscriptions run out, because I had gotten to the point that if I saw one more ARF review or 3d photo I would puke. I couldn't see spending any more money to get 3 or 4 pages of new interesting stuff and a couple hundred of the SOS. It has a way of penetrating the brain and actually reducing the opinion level of something that is really pretty cool, and very skilled guys doing it. Pylon racing it pretty darn cool, but if every other photo and article was about pylon, soon everyone but the guys doing it would hate it. I don't know if what I'm trying to say is coming across or not, but it looks like I better refrain from posting opinions...lest you guys jump all over em
Old 06-29-2002, 09:11 PM
kylenlord

Sideshow, you're just not thinking 4th dimensional. It isn't truly 3 hours, its 3 scale hours so 3 * 1/6 = half an hour. Get some functional drop tanks and your golde. What do you mean it isn't possible to fly the aircraft scale, haven't you seen an extra fly or an edge, or a cap?
Old 06-29-2002, 10:27 PM
sideshow

Originally posted by sideshow
[B....scale flight is not exciting nor very possible with our models. The most scale flight would be an aerobatic model in an aerobatic box......which is pretty cool[/B]
If you check my post again, and the above quote, I think I covered all of the models you just mentioned....as Caps, Extras and Edges are considered aerobatic models.

Bob
Old 06-30-2002, 04:56 AM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

This again.........
Old 06-30-2002, 12:22 PM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hovering

After reading all of the posts on this subject I still can't figure out why we always dig in our heals and steadfastly decide that the other guy is wrong weather you fly 3D or a Warbird or a helicopter or what ever. On guy mentioned a very smart solution and it's simple communication. When a pilot decides to hover it should be done safely and in a manner that does not interfere with normal pattern traffic. This guy checked with the other guys on the flightline and cleared his request BEFORE he did the maneuver. That little gesture I'm sure prevented the bad feelings that crop up every time someone has to go to violent evasive flight to avoid hitting a plane that is parked midair in the traffic pattern. I can't speak for others but flying is very involved and eliminating unnecessary hazards just makes sence. I have great respect for the way 3D guys have mastered some of their maneuvers but that doesn't give any of us a right to create a safety issue by doing anything that jeapardizes the safety of others flying at the same time. There is a time and a place for all of this and all of us should be able to enjoy the hobby together. COMMUNICATE!!! It saves a ton of aggravation and you build a little respect for your fellow modelers in the process. A good CD has a handle on this and his/her events run smoothly because of it.
Jack Devine
Old 06-30-2002, 10:06 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote to have me elected as President of AMA so I can decide how this whole hover issue should be handled

I will first need to learn to hover so that I may fully understand the issue at hand here
Old 07-01-2002, 11:20 AM
wagas

Default HoVeR------

I use to complain about the 30-40% size airplanes Hovering over the runway until I finally got over it and just flew. (I was scared --- not anymore) I just pop my Funfly in the air and start doing what I enjoy best "FLY". It's like when you first started flying, you where scared to fly even if one airplane other then your own went in the air but you got over it right?

"People" <pc> are always going to be rude and want center stage.

"Speed Freaks" who fly quickie 500's and Diamond Dust fly way to fast for me. I would much rather have a guy hovering over the runway while I'm flying than be in the air with a Diamond Dust. At least I know Where the guy hovering is at. Being in the air with a speed plane is like swimming with sharks, you never know where they're at. And besides a small airplane flying 120+ MPH is just as dangerous as a guy hovering a large airplane. One cuts you when it hits the other just puts a hole thru you.

I use to hate hovers until two things happened.

1. Have a 40%er come to a hover over your airplane as soon as you land your 15 foot wingspan Custom Built Model and then have them turn the smoke on blowing that crap all over your airplane. Then the guy doesn't even apologize. I complained till I was blue in the face and realized it wasn't worth it. Simply this, If he wants to be rude then that's his choice, if he crashes on my airplane then he pays for it. If he doesn't then the club can always kick him out for his actions.

2. I learned to do it myself and now understand why guys are infatuated with it; it’s quite a challenge. I still hate to watch others for more than 30 seconds. But I enjoy doing it myself (and I’m very mindful of my fellow flyers when I do it---that's the key--by courteous.)

Have fun, be Safe, and fly every chance you can get cause you never know how much longer you'll be able to do it. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. Especially if it's the only flying site for MILES.

Just another worthless comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.