Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Life time member in club

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Life time member in club

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life time member in club

With out a vote and the person not being a member of the club how can a person be a life time member. Not one thing was brought up at any meeting to give this person a life time membership. He does not attend meetings and lives out of town but gets a free ride because he has a LHS in another town and is a friend of a club member. He does donate merchandise but does that make him privileged
Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Life time member in club

it must be enough in somebody's eyes.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
FHHuber
Banned

What harm is it doing? The club is mailing the guy a newsletter... and they get donations from the LHS... Hmm. I doubt the club is comming out on the losing end, especially if he never shows at meetings and never flys.

When did he become a lifetime member? Is it possible he HAS BEEN granted that status long ago and that you just now heard about it?

What do the club bylaws say about lifetime memberships?

This is a specific club's issue.. not an AMA issue.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:57 PM
stalspin-delete

AS huber said, strickly a club issue. And so what if the club gave him a lifetime membership. Thats only one way of showing appreciation for the LHS donations. I for one would not complain about it. MHO
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

this forum is bordering on the surreal
Old 05-04-2004, 11:54 PM
the troll
Banned

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

With out a vote and the person not being a member of the club how can a person be a life time member. Not one thing was brought up at any meeting to give this person a life time membership. He does not attend meetings and lives out of town but gets a free ride because he has a LHS in another town and is a friend of a club member. He does donate merchandise but does that make him privileged
Sounds like a honorary membership. Most honorary members, if indeed that is what we are talking about, do not have a vote or even utilize the clubs field at all. Matter of fact many club's bylaws doesn’t even recognize or outline what is an honorary member.

But maybe Goob can shine up the crystal ball and tell us for sure
Old 05-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally such answers to such questions are found in a club's Bylaws. My Club Jetero RC Club, Inc. www.jetero.com, has provisions for Life Members and Associate Members. Basically Life membership requires age 65 and being retired. Costs some bucks but should be OK if one is optimistic. I was/am optimistic.

Associate membership is bestowed on those so deemed worthy by Club Vote. So far -- ONE. Great club worker, but not up to the routine of flight concentration.

Now if you suspect something is not as it should be, have your newsletter editor place the subject in the newsletter and request a discussion at the next meeting. Notify the club President individually at least several days prior to the meeting. Then bring up the question before those members there. Get it resolved.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:10 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't sweat over it, like Troll said, may be some reward for services the guy did for the club. We have done this lots of times. The City Park and Rec Director and Airport manager are two people that our club has given lifetime memberships to. And neither of these two guys fly very much. It's just that we reward them for their out of the way efforts of helping us obtain and maintain a flying site. Does he have AMA, if not, then the club can't include him on the roster for the charter unless the club is footin the bill for his AMA. Which our club does for the landowner of one of our flying site. However, we voted on that issue.

ORIGINAL: the troll

Sounds like a honorary membership. Most honorary members, if indeed that is what we are talking about, do not have a vote or even utilize the clubs field at all. Matter of fact many club's bylaws doesn’t even recognize or outline what is an honorary member.

But maybe Goob can shine up the crystal ball and tell us for sure
Old 05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Live Wire

To all concerned!
For what is worth there is no record of makeing honerary or life time in minutes of any meeting. Maybe I just ticked off because when I had the LHS here I donated had Dist. donate. never even got the time of day, people just told me how cheep the thought the Distributers were ,had a discount cetificate returned and the told me to send it back. Maybe I am just blowwing hot air but I don't think it is right when there are people that put in a lot of time and money to keep the club going and some one is just looking for free addvertizement, and money in their own pocket. Looks like a lot of post you see here on dues and nothing to show for it.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 PM
the troll
Banned

I feel your pain man but just try to let it go. Sometimes even those that we consider to be the closest to us can be inconsiderate and take us for granted...just a human thingy. Some will get a clue and some never will.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Live Wire

You would not believe how many people read these threads. Some one said I put this in the wrong forum wrong this was the right forum especially where there are flames and bashing going on.
Went to the field to have a meeting we fly some before the meeting , did not get off the ground. Radio interference for two hours glad I never got off the ground was bad to have 2 planes on same channel. Well this can be removed or locked up , the people that needed to read this got the message. Thank guy's for your posts.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:20 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Well... I said its not an AMA issue... didn't specificly say this wasn't the correct forum (however it seems more like a clubhouse issue...)

Its not an AMA issue because... the AMA has no control over decisions such as this within your club. If the club officers decide to do something that is not according to the club rules... its an issue to be taken up at a club meeting.

If it is annoying enough to you to make a big deal about it at the club meeting (which will be likely to create hate and discontent within the group you fly with every week...) Then bring it up.... and point out the stuff you pointed out here.

They'll come back with the argument that its not costing the club anything... and... [&:]probably end up voting to make the guy an honorary life member... (and its unlikely for that to fail if the guy has a reputation for sending the monthly meeting's doorprizes.)

Pick your battles... this one is probably hopeless. Not because you would be wrong. (I think you are right) But because the issue will just create havoc and I doubt that a positive outcome is possible.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:30 PM
J_R

To: RCAdmin

Dear Marc

Please make a note that some people should never, ever, ever be considered for the postion of moderator.