Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

District 5 VP Jim McNeill has passed away

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

District 5 VP Jim McNeill has passed away

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:07 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default District 5 VP Jim McNeill has passed away

This E-mail was passed to me and I have verified the information
JR

To: [email protected] ; [email protected]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 1:17 PM

Subject: Jim McNeil passed away this morning

All:
I just received a phone call from AMA President Dave Brown.

It seems that AMA Dist. VP Jim McNeil collapsed and died this morning while loading up his car for a trip.

Our condolences go out to the family during this most difficult time. Having just lost my dad a couple of months ago, I can understand the loss....

I asked AMA President Dave Brown to keep me posted as to arraignments. I will pass on any information once I have it... Tony Stillman Radio South 3702 N. Pace Blvd. Pensacola, FL 32505 1-800-962-7802 www.radiosouthrc.com
Old 05-21-2004, 02:21 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: District 5 VP Jim McNeil has passed away

My condolences to the family.[sm=crying.gif]
Old 05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Wanted to let you guys know I have also confirmed this info with his son-in-law (thanks J_R for the heads up). While some may not have agreed with Jim all the time, I would hope we would respect the large part of his life he had dedicated to the hobby. Jim was a friend and fellow club member here in Birmingham and he will be missed.

Mike Chilson
Southeastern Manager
United States Scale Masters Association
Old 05-21-2004, 10:43 PM
stalspin-delete

We should all send our prayers and condolences to the family. McNeil was as dedicated to our hobby as anyone could be. Regardless of what has transpired in the past on this forum of bashing Jim, He did a lot for his District and the AMA and the entire organization.
May he rest in peace.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Mike Wiz

Let all of us take this time to reflect, to give thanks and to say a prayer for Jim and his family.

Rest in Peace, Jim McNeil.

Mike Wizynajtys
Old 05-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Another reason to remember to say thank you to the people we appreciate when we have the chance. My interactions and conversations were always well received with him. Certainly those who help our hobby and put in time for all of us should given special consideration. For myself and the members of the R/C Bush Pilots of West Palm Beach, we add our condolences to his family. May they find some comfort knowing that he passed quickly and doing that which he loved. Andrew I. Levy, DPM, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Old 05-23-2004, 09:10 AM
J_R

Posted on the D8 list:

Hello, 8list,

Funeral Services will be held at the following Ridout's Valley Chapel, Homewood Al 35209, 205 879 3401 services will be held at 2 pm on Monday. Jim McNiel has requested that in lieu of flowers donations should be sent to AMA designated for the McNeill Cup.

Best regards.

Dr.Sandy Frank
[email protected]
2004-05-22
Old 05-23-2004, 05:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: District 5 VP Jim McNeill has passed away

Doc.....any way I can find out more info on the "McNeil Cup"?

Jerry
Old 05-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default McNeill Obituary - Birmingham News 5-24-04

James Edward McNeill

MCNEILL, JAMES EDWARD, age 81, died on May 21, 2004. He was the son of Vern and Jane McNeill of Burley, Idaho, and is survived by his wife of 57 years, Lucy Grovenstein McNeill; two daughters, Dr. Sally McNeill Ebaugh (Mr. Kenneth Sherwood Ebaugh) and Lucy McNeill LeMaster (Dr. Kenneth Franklin LeMaster); two granddaughters, Lulie DeBardeleben Ebaugh and Lucy Anne LeMaster. He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. John Singleton, Camp Douglas, Wisconsin, and Mrs. Nancy Raufman, Janesville, Wisconsin. Mr. McNeill was a graduate of Georgia Tech. where he received an Engineering degree and was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. He also held a Juris Doctorate from the Birmingham School of Law and was a member of Sigma Delta Kappa honorary society. He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Army Air Corps. He was decorated with the American Theater Ribbon, the European African Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon with two Bronze Stars, the Good Conduct Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. Jim was a former VFW post commander in Bessemer, Alabama. He was co-founder of the Birmingham Chess Club. His avocation was designing, building, and flying free-flight model airplanes. He was a lifetime member of the national Academy of Model Aeronautics [AMA] where he held Lifetime License number L2. He was a member of its national Executive Council for the past 33 years, serving as District V Vice-President, and from 1979 to 1986, as the Secretary/Treasurer and Executive Vice-President. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to either the AMA McNeill Cups Fund [c/o Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc., 5161 East Memorial Drive, Muncie, Indiana, 47302] or the St. Vincent's Bruno Cancer Center [c/o St. Vincent's Hospital, 810 St. Vincent's Drive, Birmingham, Alabama, 35205]. The family also wishes to convey special thanks to Dr. John Glover and the Bruno Cancer Center for their special attention and care over the last several years. Funeral Service will be Monday, May 24, 2004, at 2:00 p.m. in Ridout's Valley Chapel, Homewood.

Published in The Birmingham News on 5/24/2004.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 AM
AirDog

Thank you Red for passing on the Obit. I have known Jim for a long long time - You know he was the first one to realy take a lot of pictures for his column - He loved Life.
Herb Hardwick, Shalimar Florida
Old 05-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Live Wire

Look like Jim fulfilled his destiny. FLY ON.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 PM
J_R

There is a page on the DV website to post condolences

http://www.modelair.org/
Old 05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Live Wire

Thanks JR
Not knowing him this is still one big family.