Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

what can I do to get an AMA license

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

what can I do to get an AMA license

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 PM
extra pln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can I do to get an AMA license

I am just getting started in rc and can fly my .40 size VMAR Apache III prity well. There is this field in my area and if you go to the comunity center of the town (seagovill) and present your driving license and AMA license they will give you a pass to fly at the field for free. Can someone tell me how to get an AMA License.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:27 PM
J_R

Default RE: what can I do to get an AMA license

Got a credit card? Call 1-800 I-FLY-AMA, ask for membership, and sign up. Bashful on the phone? You can do an online sign up at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...memberapp.aspx

Don’t got no credit card, or wanna use a check or money order? Go here and download the application and then send it in: http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...plications.asp

Welcome
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
AMA does not issue licenses, they issue membership cards.
Jon
Old 06-14-2004, 06:58 PM
J_R

ROFLMAO

F106A, look in the lower left corner of your membership card. What does it say?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83771.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	143212  
Old 06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi J_R,
I stand corrected! I looked up the definition of license on line in Merriam-Webster, here's the result:

Main Entry: 1li·cense
Variant(s): or li·cence /'lI-s&n(t)s/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French licence, from Latin licentia, from licent-, licens, present participle of licEre to be permitted
1 a : permission to act b : freedom of action
2 a : a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful b : a document, plate, or tag evidencing a license granted
3 a : freedom that allows or is used with irresponsibility b : disregard for standards of personal conduct : LICENTIOUSNESS

I'll have to check with DB tomorrow and see which of the above applies to the AMA, and what I'm licensed to do!
BRG,
Jon
Old 06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
J_R

Hi Jon

I can tell you exactly what he will say. Look at the AMA by-laws.

Article II, Purposes
item (m) To license model aircraft and fliers thereof for competition.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

BTW I will sell anyone a license... also... but mine are much cheaper. 2 full years for only 49.99!!
PM for details and for address to send money. Also a time share ocean front property in Arizonia included with every 6 years license paid in advance.

Seriously just naming something a hat does not make it a hat. The card may say license on it but it is still just a membership ID card.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
J_R

Tell that to the city where the origional poster lives that wants to see your AMA license before you can fly there.

As you say, call it what you want, but show the license to fly. Simple, huh?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:36 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_R

Got a credit card? Call 1-800 I-FLY-AMA, ask for membership, and sign up. Bashful on the phone? You can do an online sign up at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...memberapp.aspx

Don’t got no credit card, or wanna use a check or money order? Go here and download the application and then send it in: http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...plications.asp

Welcome
Most banks are issuing Visa/MC check cashing/debit/ATM cards now. Go to the AMA web site and input that as your credit card. I did with mine and it worked fine. Should work for you, too.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obeying the by laws only keeps you from getting kicked out of the AMA, you still have the right to fly your plane. Just not at an AMA field.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:43 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

...but show the license to fly. Simple, huh?
Well maybe not.

Our city allowed flying at city parks without issue until some good AMA club members thought to impress the city about AMA and its benefits. The city promptly concluded that if it is so dangerous to fly models, that a 2.5 million policy is needed, they should play it safe and make an ordinance to ban models at city parks, with or with out regard to AMA flyers. BTW the club field was at risk during the city’s scrutiny but eventually the club was allowed to stay...with concessions and under more careful scrutiny for now. AMA is doubled edged sword and should be wielded carefully. Nothing is more dangerous than a fellow compensating…you know like a short guy in a big 4x4…nothing more dangerous to our hobby than talking about how dangerous it is. And nothing says that louder than a 2.5 mil policy!

Those that desire AMA will find it and all of us need to testify to just how safe our hobby really is if they care to preserve it. Make sense?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 PM
dicknadine

WHY don't you take your DRY Rambling to some other forum in China. they might understand your gibberage. does it hurt you to be constructive ??? dick
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Well Dick, this is a forum ! Open to all. Be prepared for opposing points of view and dont be so judgemental. I saw LCs post as an informational one, have observed same over the years. City Governments are afraid of everything, and are happy to rain on anyone's parade in the name of "Protecting City Government" from lawsuits. JMHO

Vince
Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 AM
dicknadine

no problem here. am still wondering what my state drivers license intitles me to ? belive this a parallel situation. again enough said. now have more time to design and build my Vintage giant models. Yaaall have a good day. dick
Old 06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Jon

Article II, Purposes
item (m) To license model aircraft and fliers thereof for competition.
The way I read this, and after looking at your license J_R, is that you have an AMA license to be a contest director, and you are licensed to fly model aircraft IN COMPETITION. I do not see an AMA membership card as being a license to fly model aircraft in general, which is what I believe the original post was inquiring about.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:41 AM
J_R

What difference does it make? The town of Seagovill, where extra pln wants to fly, wants an AMA license. I doubt that the clerk is going to debate him about what the license if for. If it is a toy license to fly toy airplanes in toy competitions, so what? If, like most people I know, you call it an AMA card... fine. If you call it an AMA membership card... fine. The point is that extra pln will be able to fly, for free, with the piece of paper and a drivers license.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:45 AM
LuckyArmpit

The AMA now has an introductory membership. Instead of ponying up the fifty some bucks, you can get this membership and it costs you
$20. The catch is its only good for 3 months. I have gone this route and will renew in the fall when AMA starts their re-new card drive.
This introductory card has all the merits of the full fledged yearly card. Its not crippled in any way according to the AMA. I joined for the sole fact that I can fly my .46 Arrow at a local clubs field.

Dave...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 AM
J_R

I am not sure I understand your reasoning. The Trial Membership is upgradeable to a full membership, until it expires. This would give you the advantage of a prorate on next year's membership. On the other hand, if you wait until it has expired, I can not see the advantage. The prorate is only available to new, first time members, on Open memberships, so you will either have to pay $58 for the balance of this year, and pay dues again next year, or you will have a gap in your membership between the expiration of the Trial Membership and the full Open membership you get that would not start until Jan 1. All Open memberships expire on Dec 31. The Trial Membership, although it may be upgraded before it expires, is not renewable.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:22 PM
rclement

By the way Extra Pln, Welcome to the forum and good luck in your flying. Bet you wish your first post had raised so many hackles..............
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Live Wire

Default FRE: what can I do to get an AMA license

First post and you post here Boy you are NEW Good luck, and injoy RCU!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:11 AM
blue62
My Feedback: (3)

just get the "card" "lisence" "id" whatever and fly!!!!! thats what its all about anyway! right? if you mail the money you can get them to send you a letter stating you are a member so you can fly till you get your ":card". they email it to you and are very friendly on the fone i found.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:52 AM
LuckyArmpit

My trial (introductory) card expires on September 30, 2004. AMA told me that to renew, its 58 beans in september which will cover me until December 31, 2005. They don't send you a card, mine was emailed. Present the paper at any club field.
The advantage is if not for introductory, I would pay 58 now and then another 58 this fall to re-new. I see this as a savings of
38 bucks and therefore an advantage. The introductory is only for new members and can only be used one time.

Dave...
Old 07-10-2004, 08:58 AM
J_R

http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-Files/912.pdf

WHAT: Dues policy for new, first time, OPEN full category members.

WHY: To clarify the length of time your membership is valid, according to the
date of your dues payment. This is necessary since AMA membership
works on a calendar year basis starting January 1st, rather than the date of
your dues payment.

HOW: FIRST QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
January 1st through March 31st, you will do so at the full, open rate.

SECOND QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
April 1st through June 30th, you will pay the full, open rate. The
Following year, your renewal notice will reflect a 25% reduction in dues.

THIRD QUARTER: If you join AMA from July 1st through September
30th, you will pay the full, open rate. The Following year, your
renewal notice will reflect a 50% reduction in dues.

FOURTH QUARTER: If you join AMA from October 1st through
December 31st, you will pay the full open rate. You will receive
membership for the remainder of that year, plus membership for the
following year.

Thank you for your interest in joining the Academy of Model Aeronautics. If we can answer any
other questions for you concerning our organization, or membership in it, please call us at 1-800-
I-FLY-AMA (1-800-435-9262).
Old 07-10-2004, 03:47 PM
J_R

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 11:50 AM
To: JR
Cc: Colleen Pierce; Randa Coats
Subject: RE: trial membership vs open full membership

Here is the answer
1. Trial membership cost $19.95 for three months
2. If a trial membership converts to a full membership before his three months end, the $19.95 will be applied toward that membership.
3. All memberships expire December 31st unless you join in the last quarter of the year

Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 9:24 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Cc: Joyce Hager
Subject: trial membership vs open full membership
Hi Randa

A question has come up on RC Universe. If a 30 day trial membership is purchased that expires 9/31/04 and $58 is then sent, in September, for a full open membership, when does the full membership expire? Is there any advantage to taking this approach as opposed to purchasing the full membership in the beginning? If the payment were not received until after the trial membership expires, what is the situation then? I will post your answer on RCU, with your permission.

JR