Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA rule clarification

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA rule clarification

Old 06-16-2004, 02:26 PM
DLDude
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA rule clarification

I got my AMA insurance this year, but i have a question regarding where i CAN fly my plane. The closest club to me is 20 miles away, and is 50$ a year to join (yeah yeah yeah, i'm cheap). Anyways, there is a VERY large park 5 miles from me, where i have even seen other gusy flying occassionally. I read the website, and no where did it say you HAD to fly at an official club to get insurance. It basically just said not to fly near airports. So if something serious were to happen in this park (Example: Crash into a parked car), woudl i still be covered? Finding this easy-to-reach-and-free park is really the reason i got back into the hobby, and i dont want to be uninsured.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: AMA rule clarification

long as you are following the safety code, not considered in trespass by being there flying, or otherwise breaking a law, you should be covered.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

20 miles! I should be so lucky! My field is 50 miles away. At least the one where I am a member. Remeber, homeowners isurance is the first policy, AMA is secondary. And yes, as long as you are following the safety code you should be covered.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>"....AMA is secondary.....<<<<<<

Man oh Man, youse done be in some deep dooo. Dat Jays-OR, he done gonna' git you fer shore!

He be real certain dat some *Macroni* guy say de insurase stuff be "excess" which mean too much. 'gardless uf dat macaroni-pasta guy, i likes secondary better as dat mo' relates ta de orders of tings.

Don' yo falls off dat white mule anymoe, sho' nuff.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Not "should be;" you ARE covered if you follow the safety code, no matter where you fly.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:50 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Not "should be;" you ARE covered if you follow the safety code, no matter where you fly.

That's correct.

However, the key is you MUST follow the safety code. It may difficult to follow the safety code at the local park. For example, rule 3 requiring the establishment of the safety line. If your at a local park, with people not involved in RC wandering around, how will you go about ensuring rule 3 is followed?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 AM
DLDude
My Feedback: (1)

The park is pretty large. I was going to go to the back corner, and anyoen with me would be behind the safety line (Behind me). Then the closest people would probably be 1500 feet away at the least
Old 06-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The rule says that you have to establish a straight or curved flight line. It does not say that the curved line can't be a circle or ellipse in which you fly your airplane, and it does not say that the flight line cannot be adjusted to suit conditions at any time. All they want you to do is not fly over people or property if it can possibly be helped. You can't police the flight line while flying, and I'm sure other users of the park will have something to say if you start chasing them out of the area where you're flying.