Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Inssurance

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Inssurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
slammin_sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Inssurance

I'm a relative new guy (3 years) to RC and president of our local club. We have 30 members about 10 of which are regulars. One of our members approached me last night about the Insurance provided by the AMA. He claimed that it is difficult if not impossible to collect on valid claims. He is basing his comments on rumor as far as I can tell. Does anyone out there have any experience with 'valid' claims that have been covered or not covered? Does tha AMA have any stats on claims over the past few years? Are there any alternatives to AMA insurance? I'd like to be able to get back to him with some hard facts.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 PM
J_R

Default RE: AMA Inssurance

Hi Sam

The best description of the AMA coverage is in the club charter kit on the AMA page. http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...004clubkit.pdf

The AMA coverage is excess coverage, that means that all other insurance a member may have comes before the AMA coverage. For instance, homeowner’s or renter’s insurance would come first. If there is no other coverage, the AMA insurance is then primary.

There are a lot of rumors of the AMA not paying claims. The fact is they pay the claims when their insurance is the one covering the claim. If you have doubts, call Carl Maroney at AMA HQ. He handles Special Services, which includes insurance. I have talked to Carl several times. He can not remember any claim being denied, but, admits it could have happened in the past. He has only been there forever.

I think the rumors start when someone that has other coverage tries to make a claim and is directed to his homeowner’s policy.

There are quite a number of threads on the subject in this forum if you want to chase them down.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
slammin_sam

Thanks JR. I looked up a number of the threads and feel comfortable with the coverage. I got back to our doubting Thomas last night and now he is saying that since our field does not meet every requirement the AMA could refuse any claims we may have. After reading the regs I doubt many fields meet all of them although we are very close. Our field is remote with no houses nearby and no main roads of any kind within a half mile. I'll give AMA headquarters a call. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:54 PM
J_R

Actually, the AMA has no requlations, other than those contained in the Safety Code, such as a flight line. The field specs are recommendations and not requirements. I am sure you are correct, probably most fields do not meet the recommendations in some regard.

The truly important part of the coveage is for the club and the landlord. In the case of the landlord, it is a primary policy without the restrictions of the Safety Code. Again, the details are in the charter kit.

I have been issuing a challenge to folks like your doubter for some time. Find one claim where the AMA coverage is the one in force that has not been paid... just one. No one has produced such a claim so far.

Let us know how you come out with Carl, after your call.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 PM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are of course exceptions.From personal experience,last year I got hit by the prop bad enough to require a ride in the truck with sirens etc. I have Medicare and Medicare supplement insurance. The person at the hospital would not accept any of that. She wanted to know who owned the property or who was the insurance provider. I gave her my AMA card and she was satisfied Now as it turns out if you have Medicare the AMA becomes primary in the case of an accident. My entire bill was taken care of and I have nothing but good things to say about our AMA coverage. I had some problems at first since I didn't know that AMA was primary and I was expecting Medicare to pick up the bill.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Albert,
Has your club safety officer fully investigated the incident where you got hurt and made a full report to the AMA?

Reference other threads this forum as to the REQUIRED tasks that individual is to be assigned by the AMA.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:49 PM
J_R

Geeze Jim, let's not start rumors. That is not a requirement, although I guess it could be someday.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J_R, I said "IS TO BE assigned" which is exactly what 2 or 3 folks *I* know on the EC want to happen. This is NOT a rumor, but a probablility. The issues are clearly stated in the document you quoted.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on the subject, I had an unfortunate incident a few years back where a damage claim (property) was made by an outside individual at a public event. Without going into all the particulars, the AMA sent me a letter specifically stating that they would cover any amount the was not paid by the primary carrier, my homeowners insurance company.

In the end, it all worked out without any claims being paid because the claimant had to share liability for failing to follow the instructions given to all at the event.

But the AMA does, indeed, pay legitimate presented claims.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:37 PM
slammin_sam

Thanks everyone. I'm satisfied.